KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Cloudera

Is this your company?

Cloudera

Add a Review

Cloudera Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated May 29, 2019

Found 28 of over 624 reviews

4.1
Cloudera President and Chief Executive Officer Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden
Pros
  • "Great people and work life balance(in 34 reviews)

• "A leading big data company, and the only one remaining Hadoop era company(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 30 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be difficult to maintain at points(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Can honestly say working here changed my life!

Jan 6, 2017 - Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture. I have never met a smarter, more collaborative, dedicated and excited group of people. - Leadership. I have absolute confidence in the execs steering the ship. - Competitive pay - Great training - Active in community service - Stock in a pre-IPO tech unicorn - Lunches

Cons

There are always going to be growing pains with hyper-growth companies, like figuring out where to put everyone! Management handles it well and there are few ripples.

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

smart people, good pay

Jan 8, 2016 - Techie In Field Customer Enablement
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people. Like, seriously crazy-smart. But also friendly and helpful. A start-up with a start-up atmosphere...but 1000+ employees so without the start-up rollercoaster. Cutting edge technology in the fast growing field of big data processing and analytics = great resume fodder. Lots of room for personal advancement. Good room for work/life balance. (Although I'm remote...if you are working at the headquarters in Palo Alto you might have a different experience.)

Cons

The technology is growing and changing so fast it's hard to keep your head around it all; it can be overwhelming and disheartening to realize stuff you mastered six months ago is now obsolete. The company is also growing and there are the usual growing pains. It can be hard to find "experts" to help you, not because they don't wish to be helpful, but because they are thin on the ground, as half the company was hired in the last 12-18 months. Also everyone is busy, there's way more work to go around than people to do it, so you have to set firm personal boundaries to maintain good work-life balance: no one is going to prompt you to stop work at the end of the day or take a vacation.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Been an awesome ride so far

Sep 29, 2016 - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of chance to learn new things Responsive product management - great to have meaningful feedback to the product Best senior management I have worked with in my 24 years in the industry - they are open, interested in talking to leaf nodes like me, insightful, willing to change direction to respond to customers and industry trends, honest, and funny.

Cons

Lots of people complain about work life balance. But given we have unlimited R&R, it is really your job to make the time and take enough time off to recharge your batteries. (I take about 5 to 6 weeks a year and totally disconnect from e-mail for at least 2 of them) The rate of growth of the company and customer acquisition is straining many organizations, but the company has been responding with great onboarding for sales and SEs, and adding another site to being in more customer technical support people. Standard growing pains for an enterprise technical company is hypergrowth mode. (grow or die in an fast growing market)

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Excellent Work environment and highly tech people

Feb 2, 2019 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, Open culture, free lunch

Cons

Growing pains, company is going through too many internal changes.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great People, Great Culture, Bright Future

Jan 23, 2016 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The People - Cloudera has curated the best workforce in the industry. That being said, I've never run into anyone with a ego here. Everyone is willing to help. 2. Leadership - Cloudera's leadership is well respected within and outside of the company. In addition to that, they are very open and approachable. I never feel like I'm "in the dark" at Cloudera. 3. Integrity - Cloudera is in a highly competitive field, yet remains committed to customers. Quality and customer satisfaction are held in the same regard has financial performance.

Cons

Cloudera has and continues to grow at lightning speed. With that comes the typical growing pains. For example, there aren't always pre-defined processes or documentation that can assist you in your role.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Amazing Company!

Feb 16, 2015 - Sales Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cloudera is an amazing company to work for. I have been at Cloudera for over three years and every year has been an experience. Cloudera is a company that truly respects its employees and their career aspirations, they promote internally and do not block cross team movement. The executive team is amazing to work with. The are not only supportive, but very accessible. I plan on staying at Cloudera for many years to come.

Cons

Cloudera has the same challenges you find at any fast moving company(I would like to say startup, but we are quite large now). The biggest downside to working at Cloudera is the growing pains. There is a lot of reorganization and employee structure movement as the company continues to grow. In the long run it will be for the best, but for the short term it adds some distraction from the day to day.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Solve hard problems with great people

Oct 30, 2014 - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked with smarter or more driven people. That knowledge and drive is needed to help our customers solve the problems they are facing. We cover customers ranging from Financial, Medical, Retail, Agriculture, Ecommerce, Technology, and Media just to name a few. The chance to be part of the team that helps such a wide variety of environments use ALL of their data to do things they never thought possible is a unique one. Coming to work here is never boring.

Cons

As with any company experiencing hyper growth, there can be growing pains along the way. We have run out of space a couple times and getting conference room can sometimes feel like you’ve won a gold medal (aside from No Meeting Wednesdays when they are ample). Thankfully we are expanding in both our Palo Alto and San Francisco.

1 person found this review helpful

Cloudera Response

Operations Specialist

With our rapid hiring, finding enough room for all the great employees is always a challenge! Thankfully, the new building in Palo Alto will be opening up very soon!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This place is the REAL DEAL for a Pre-IPO High tech start up with a long successful future a head

Feb 16, 2015 - Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Cloudera for just over a year as an Account Executive. Starting from the Sales Kick Off meeting in 2014 it was evident that there were lots of smart people and that they (we) were all having fun together. Very team oriented feel - celebrating lots of successes vs. the competition. For a relatively 'small' company that is Pre-IPO the executive staff are absolutely polished, professional, accomplished - AND approachable (Had a 20 minute informal chat 1:1 with Tom Reilly, CEO my first night). The new hire training was very challenging and excellent. I had been through IBM new hire training and Cisco Systems new hire training and this was on the same level of quality). I came out of the training very comfortable with the Cloudera, our position in the industry and how we are different from the competition, but more importantly why customers are gravitating to Cloudera over the competition.EVeryone from the CEO and sr. Staff as well as Engineering and Committers, Data Scientist, Consultants (who are frequently contributors or committers) and management from our WW Support organization are all available for customer meetings. The market for Hadoop is really heating up so I am looking forward to the future with the leader in Hadoop! This is a very cool and special time to be at Cloudera.

Cons

Any of the cons have been pretty much start up growing pains (Expense reporting system was poor - but have since switched and if is much easier and reliable to submit expenses). This underscores the feel of the company - being hyper focused on listening to customers and to employees and being committed to making changes to address challenges and continue building for the future.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic opportunity!

Oct 30, 2014 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

My reasons for working here: Meaningful work, personal and professional growth, contributes with great team, keeps me well-fed. More about "meaningful work: Cloudera is at the center of big data. Big data represents a transformative technology trend that opens up new ways of doing business and discovering science. Speaking from an insider's view, all the hyped reports about big data are in fact *underestimating* its impact - big data actually represents a major step in scientific method, on par with past steps such as acceptance of quantitative measurement and multivariate statistics. We are seeing some of the emerging new science from fields such as health care and agriculture, but those are only a tiny tip of the iceberg. And organizations at the center of these scientific discoveries stand poised to immediately extract value and profit from them. Their data analysis platform vendors therefore stand to share these newly created value and likewise profit. Regardless of Cloudera's commercial success or failure, it is a once-in-a-lifetime type company in terms of bringing a very key technology to the world. More about "great team": Cloudera's employees often are the best-in-the-industry at what they do. This goes for both engineering and non-engineering roles. Even at 800+ employees, the company remains small enough for engineering and non-engineering roles to regularly interact. This facilitates cross-functional, generalist type learning from the best. E.g., marketing and engineering working together to put out materials that's on-message and technically bulletproof, sales and engineering speaking side-by-side to address customer concerns and win competitive deals, recruiting and engineering working side-by-side to share excitement about a technology trend that's not yet fully appreciated in the popular press. Still plenty of upside to stock valuation, even after many rounds of funding. Alternate opportunities I declined: Many places I did not even interview at because I knew the company was already a bad fit. The eventual short list and the reasons I chose Cloudera over them: A post-IPO big data company targeting a specific industry vertical - Cloudera has a bigger addressable market. An established enterprise platform vendor - Cloudera is far more nimble and focused and ambitious. A media company looking to setup a big data shop - Cloudera allows me to be at the center of big data development vs at only the user/customer end. Bonus: Dual headquarters in San Francisco and Palo Alto. The SF office still retains much of the quirky start-up atmosphere, with an entire floor painted in robot themes with robot names as conference rooms. There is also a game room with Guitar Hero and Xbox and many board games and a collection of cat pictures. The PA office has a totally gorgeous pond with fountains and water lilies and surrounded by willow trees and frequented by ducks. Many lunches and refreshing walks and productive meetings took place around there.

Cons

Cloudera is going through growing pains. There are some politics and unhelpful staring contests. On the bright side, upper management is enlightened enough to try to fix it, and the rank-and-file is resourceful enough to skirt around it.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company and leadership

Jan 27, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Company leadership drives a very open, transparent, communicative and collaborative environment. They care a LOT about culture and about growing/nurturing people. 2) huge market opportunity, exciting growth in customers, bookings, etc 3) lots of bright people driven to building a great, long-lasting company

Cons

High growth means growing pains (but that is a good problem to have). Some churn in sales due to length/difficulty of sales cycle. Strong engineering and sales, but weak marketing.

1 person found this review helpful