Cloudwords Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Meindhardt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Enterprise Sales"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudwords full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays well for top performers and rewards them handsomely.

Cons

Because the company and business are smaller some reps aren't willing to put in the work. This includes prospecting and traveling. Cloudwords for the time being just doesn't operate like Oracle.

Advice to Management

Allow for the voice of the reps to be heard and continue to build a fair/honest culture.

2. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great people but horrible management.

Cons

Horrible Management, lack of direction/focus and bad leadership.

"Great Product, But Not Much Else"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cloudwords full-time

Pros

-Product has always been great, though the big translation companies have gotten wise and started building and offering their own solutions to compete.
    -Great downtown location, easy access to BART and transportation.
    -Good work/life balance.
    -Travel and Conferences
    -Free coffee, snacks and beer in the kitchen.
    -Phone, internet and health care provided.
    -A few genuinely kind and smart individuals still left (but only because they're fully vested and/or clawed their way to good salaries at this point)

Cons

Where to begin?
    -Neither of the co-founders work there any more (or the engineering lead who built most of the platform, or about 3/4 of the original staff from any dept)
    -Nepotism at its finest (the entire executive leadership teams consists of close friends and family. Wives, ex-wives, husbands, ex-husbands, BFFs from another local tech company, etc)
    -Vast majority if not all of Exec and leadership team got bumped from lower roles once the higher positions had quit or been fired, including the CEO, who was originally a "marketing consultant", then became the head of sales for a month, then magically became the CEO after the latest round of funding. None of the C-Suite has any previous C-level experience to my knowledge.
    -Reluctance to pay some employees commissions they were owed.
    -I don't see the company lasting much longer on their thin runway (especially considering the lofty salaries the C-Level and others are being paid).
    -Many of the 5 star reviews are fake. I know, I've seen them being written. I'd give it 2 stars, but I'm sure there will be a fake 5 star review posted shortly to balance this one out.

Advice to Management

-None to management, but to the Board....try actually vetting your leadership candidates next time. You'd be surprised what you'd learn if you'd actually done any real digging and spoken to some of their former employers and coworkers. Also.....sell CW before its too late to recoup your losses.
    -Advice to applicants....do your homework before applying, and feel free to reach out to any of the more than 20 former employees in the last year alone who would be more than willing to give you an honest evaluation.

"An interesting end"

I worked at Cloudwords full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is legit and it's easy to articulate how companies can bolster value through leveraging Cloudwords' platform. Prior to the current sales management iteration, I was empowered and supported by my peers as well as my superiors.

Cons

- Lack of communication and transparency
    - No visibility into the mission/vision of the company
    - Delayed responses and withholding information and paperwork
    - Culture of pretentiousness

Advice to Management

Proactively communicate, especially during significant business changes. Focus on results and production as opposed to activity. Do away with the bad business practices and mature as an organization across capabilities and culture.

"Self-Starters Succeed - Growing Pains Can Be Overcome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

With a unique and viable product, Cloudwords has a legitimate shot to completely disrupt and upend the translation/localization industry. In working directly with our customers, I know firsthand Cloudwords ability to deliver true value and ROI to the enterprise. How? My customers tell me this regularly, and I see Cloudwords working for them firsthand, daily.

The product and engineering teams are rock solid in terms of skills and execution, earning my full confidence that not only do we have a great product offering today, but that we will continue to lead in innovating within our space, and leaving our competition to literally copy and clone the steps we lay forward. When you experience competitors mimicking your product enhancements and marketing message, you know you're really onto something!

Cons

Most of the reviews on GlassDoor are dated, in that they speak about a management structure that is no longer operating at Cloudwords.

Regarding sales, truthfully speaking, the organization has had some ups and downs. For all the success we have had in adding household names to our customer list, finding the right mix of results-oriented leaders that can maintain momentum AND a positive, healthy work environment has been challenging.

That said, there is new sales leadership in place, and having seen some of these individuals rise within the organization, knowing what needs to change and already working to implement those changes, this has given me new confidence that we can achieve everything we set out to do, both as individuals and as a company, and all while having a ton of fun working with and supporting each other in a great environment.

Advice to Management

With new leadership in place, trust this leadership to make the right decisions. Whenever possible, remove yourselves from situations where you may feel compelled to jump in and dictate, possibly undermining and detracting from the structure you put in place with the best intentions. Let them continue to do what made them successful.

You have a ton of talent in place. You know you have a great product that solves real business pain. You've elevated the right individuals to lead our new movement forward. Reward all of your talent regularly, with every option you have at your disposal. If you do, your people will go above and beyond in executing their role, and reciprocate back to you and their colleagues in building a culture of growth and success.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Cloudwords full-time

Pros

Nothing except maybe for the product which has some decent relevance in the marketplace

Cons

Management. Executive Team. All inexperienced and have no idea what they are doing, how to run a company, and what a sales organization looks like.

Advice to Management

Hire sales leadership that has a clue

"Hard work is not for everyone"

I have been working at Cloudwords full-time

Pros

I love working at Cloudwords. I love that I am pushed to be world class. I love that I am held to high expectations. I love that I am paid fairly. I love that no one micromanages me. The leaders are tough, yes, but I am not in pre-school. I am a paid professional who is fine with accountability. There is a lot of freedom to run my own business, there is no red tape when I need things done, there is creativity at every turn.

Cons

Not enough momentum yet, the market still doesn't know who we are. Yes, there are flawed people who work here like previous reviewers have said. As a professional I expected that coming in. Yes the management team is stretched thin and not always available. This place is certainly not for everyone. IT IS for people who want to work really hard, can take criticism,, have experience working with managers who have high expectations, are creative and want to be paid fairly.

Mar 2, 2016 – Vice President of Marketing

Thank you. We're hugely grateful for all your hard work and frank feedback. There is no doubt customers are increasingly learning about us and the value we help them deliver. I'm stoked that you are... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudwords full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an enterprise sales rep, it’s not often you come across a company with as much upside as Cloudwords. The solution is disruptive, has unique value and delivers tremendous ROI for our clients. Our clients love the solution, our responsiveness and our support.

The base solution can be easily demo’ed by a sales rep and integrations take minutes to set up. Implementation with training are usually 1-2 weeks. Customer time to value is faster than anywhere else I’ve worked.

The office atmosphere is fun and hilarious. It’s a small office, sometimes noisy, but never dull. Because of the collaboration, access to execs and engineering, I feel like I have a hand in the direction and success of the company.

Cons

Like most small companies, not everything is perfect, far from it. You need to know how to sell when you get here. This is not a place to learn “sales” while you’re carrying a quota. We are a small company and we don’t have a training curriculum like an Oracle or SAP. You need to be self-sufficient, self-motivated and able to manage your own business in a fast start up environment.

If you know how to sell value, navigate complex organizations and are consultative in your approach you can be wildly successful here. If you need structure, sales training or don’t do well under pressure this probably isn’t the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing our partnerships with Salesforce, Oracle and Marketo

Mar 2, 2016 – Vice President of Marketing

Your feedback is gratefully acknowledged. We hope you can see your advice has impact after hearing about our renewed focus on Oracle, Marketo and Salesforce during the last company meeting!

"Cloudworst - Low Moral Compass"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They are centrally located in the FiDi and boast electricity and running water

Cons

- Product that is trying to displace homegrown solutions that companies are completely happy with and don't see their removal as necessary
    - Nepotism and Cronyism at it's finest, as many of the people worked together in former lives. Most recent hires have been based on knowing each other vs. actual qualification
    - Belittling of people in all departments and some subtle racism to those of other ethnic backgrounds
    - Huge turnover in the sales department, and the management from the VP level up is all new and found success in larger companies which isn't translating well to running a startup
    - Even the most senior rep in 2014 only achieved 30% of their quota and all others fell short as well
    - Partners in the ecosystem have not been that receptive, as they don't see the platform as that valuable, nor disruptive
    - Growth has been stalled and many surrounding restaurants trump the annual sales of Cloudwords and most of the revenue goes to the bar areas of these local companies anyway

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and don't deploy a dictator-esque environment. After a year, your structure and process is not working. No funding has been raised, revenue has slumped, key competitors continually win in deals
    - Aim to create a non-toxic environment

Mar 2, 2016 – Vice President of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
    We agree that this company has an outstanding opportunity to succeed.
    We're sorry that your employment with us did not meet either of our... More

"The worst company I have ever worked for... A HUGE MISTAKE"

Pros

Charming, seemingly outstanding opportunity, start up atmosphere with beer on tap, unlimited PTO (but wait there's a catch), shares (that are worth nothing), blah blah blah.5656565656565656565656

Cons

Terrible management. Love to publicly humiliate you. High expectations and minimal coaching. Management is unavailable, rude, and honestly spread to thin. They don't know which way is up and are constantly putting out fires versus planning and executing strategically. The "public executions" are terrible. Those are their words, not mine. Borderline sadistic in management style. They enjoy being the "Grim Reaper" and do not value their employees as human beings. You're a tool to their success. By the way.... they got to their #100th fire, so I hear through the grapevine. I wonder who will be #101?

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Teach them. Help them. Nurture them. Agree to the late night meeting that may help your employee rather than race to the bar. Don't talk bad about other employees to current ones. Stop enjoying public humiliation. Just respect each other and be realistic.

Mar 2, 2016 – Vice President of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
    We agree that this company has an outstanding opportunity to succeed.
    We're sorry that your employment with us did not meet either of our... More