ClubCorp Private Events Director Reviews | Glassdoor

1.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt
Eric L. Affeldt

Pros
  • Free golf and really nice clubhouse (in 24 reviews)

• It was not a job but a passion for me and I was able to go to the country club every day for 20 years (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not favorable; nature of the beast (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay, inconvenient hours, corporate limitations (in 18 reviews)

"I enjoyed my time with ClubCorp."

Former Employee - Private Events Director in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Private Events Director in Plano, TX

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Club 100, other sales incentive trips, fair working conditions, nice club manager. Tenured staff.

Cons

UTO- unpaid time off. Maybe it went away by now, but forced unpaid time off for all managers, even sales people was lousy. Limited opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

Create some additional supportive layers for PEDs. Membership is everything, but PEDs can add quite a bit to overall profitability. Give them something to grow towards.

"I loved my job, but management was awful."

Former Employee - Private Events Director in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Private Events Director in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My actual job responsibilities were fun and a lot of the members were great. I enjoyed spending time with the members.

Cons

Management was awful. He makes it very difficult to do your job effectively. With employee turnover soo high, it makes it hard to be successful. Within my time there, 95% of the employees quit and that still didn't raise a red flag with corporate somehow.

3. "Title"

Current Employee - Private Event Director
    Current Employee - Private Event Director

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time off, great employee partners

Cons

Lots of work, long days, nights/weekends required

Advice to Management

Support employees!

5. "Cut-throat, get out the claws"

Former Employee - Private Event Director
    Former Employee - Private Event Director

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management gets a lot of free food, considering I was there 55+ hours a week, this was nice. Some of the people are nice but it was mostly the people passing through the company to go on to bigger and better things.

Cons

When I interviewed for my position they said it would be like running my own business, which is not true... They pit the Private Event Department against the Member Relations Department and are not willing to make changes for a changing market. Very rigid. There would be captains screaming at employees in front of members and most membership sales people will do anything for a sale, including lie. No consequences for employees not showing up for work. Servers were totally undervalued and underappreciated. The culture is do be the best and do whatever you have to do, to be the best.

Advice to Management

Going public was the worse idea for a private club company!

"Take This Job and Shove It ****Horrible Company****"

Current Employee - Private Events Director

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am still searching for the "What's in it for me?" I guess the only thing I can say is that event sales is a fun type of sales, but that is more industry related than specific to ClubCorp. Other than that, it is providing me with a salary, although a menial one, for the tasks expected of me, while I search for another job.

Cons

Numbers Driven to the extreme and unrealistic expectations. Everything has a report. Even our reports have reports. You spend so much time doing paper work and reports you have hardly any time to actually sell and/or execute events which is unfortunate considering a large bulk of our compensation is commission. Salary is a joke and their commission is a smoke and mirrors game. They scammed me into signing a job offer and now that I see they weren't truthful regarding my compensation. They were deliberately deceitful which I have since realized is company wide.

Advice to Management

-Laying off a ton of people the week before Christmas is not how to Win Friends and Influence People.
    -Your Benefits are a joke. If you are going to offer low salaries and low commissions, you need to at least have decent Health Insurance or matching 401K.

"Members are number one, not their employees."

Current Employee - Private Events Director

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a member of the Club you're in a great place because they are treated like royalty. The company gave me a starting place right after graduating college and I gained skills that are useful in the workplace (however, none that exceed my private education). There are also plenty of Clubs to transfer to if you wish to advance your career with this company.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance with this company, it simply does not exist. As a salaried department head you are expected to give the world with little monetary return, or even appreciation for that matter. The severe lack of communication between department heads, unrealistic expectations regarding the work you are expected to complete on a daily and weekly basis, and overall negative work environment significantly diminishes office moral and the desire to produce the results they seek. Not to mention half of your clients are the members themselves, which is great if you connect with them. However, most are petty, demanding, unappreciative, and expect you to worship the ground they walk on simply because they pay dues to walk in the door.

The benefits are terrible, the company has a 401k plan, however they do not match. The health insurance is costly, the coverage is mediocre, and the waiting period for benefits is longer than most companies. At the end of the day everything comes down to sales, members and money in their eyes, and it will never change.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage the expectations you have for your directors and consider the experience, management style, and leadership capacity (if any) that your supervisors have. Take care of your employees better and you might have less turnover.