Clyde Bergemann Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clyde Bergemann President & CEO of Clyde Bergemann Power Group Franz Bartels
Franz Bartels

Pros
  • Used to be a good company with good people (in 6 reviews)

• The work environment is professional and fellow employees (including management) are always happy to assist (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction by upper management (in 9 reviews)

• In this company no one really knows for sure (in 2 reviews)

"Sharp, Talented Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clyde Bergemann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been great to be at a company that's not massive, as you have the chance to see your work impact how we do business tomorrow. At large companies, you get so used to seeing various initiatives go absolutely nowhere it's been quite refreshing to see things actually change after a decision has been made.

There are a lot of extremely sharp, dedicated, impressively talented people here, both in the office and on the shop floor. Team Events have been delightfully challenging (first triathlon!), competitive, and stimulating.

The pay is extremely competitive - actually better - than much of what I'd seen elsewhere for new grads.

One particular aspect of the management style I've experienced that I immensely appreciate is the way tasks/projects have been assigned - After we've discussed what the Objective is, Why this is necessary, etc. (properly laid the groundwork), I've been left to figure out How to do it and What exactly the end result could look like. I've received plenty of guidance all along the way, but micromanagement has been nonexistent. This is EXACTLY the way everyone should manage - Clearly define the Objective, then let people be responsible for the results. This has allowed us to make several major, very beneficial pivots along the way.

Cons

Steep learning curve - If you haven't previously run into sootblowers, etc. you'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Overall, the industry has definitely seen better days.

Benchmarking has gotten in the way of a focus on reaching our Potential.

Advice to Management

As part of the Review Process, consider integrating and evaluating not just What team members have done, but How they did it as well. This can 1) Establish guardrails that guide team members when it comes to reaching Goals, combating a "reach the goal at any cost" mentality (e.g. Wells Fargo), 2) Helps leaders and managers gauge the potential side-effects of metric lifts setup as goals, that could distract from ultimate objectives, and 3) Keeps everyone on the same page regarding the causes behind either progress toward or away from goals.

Remember that Employee Loyalty is what creates Customer Loyalty, which in turn leads to Revenue Growth and Profitability. Not the other way around.

"Weakness at the top"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Under former CEO Han's leadership during CBPG's growth period, the company gave mid and junior management a lot of freedom to make independent decisions, take modest risks, and make quick decisions. The company thrived.

Cons

One big job showed that Management could not admit mistakes in project design or bidding. A lot good people lost their jobs over management's stubbornness. European oversight trusted the wrong managers who were better politicians than they were technicians or managers. Sales force was technically weak. Rampant Brown-nosing.

Advice to Management

Hard work and honesty is more important than protecting your turf.

"Sells junk that they cannot make work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place to work when you are between jobs. Do not consider this a permanent job because after a few months you are more than ready to get out of this place and never hear about it again.

Cons

Management does not listen. Their products do not work as promised. They put people over Engineering who have NO idea what they are doing. They talk a good show but they have nothing to back it up. Managers over Engineering could not design a cardboard box, never alone program a water cannon.

Advice to Management

Close your doors and let another company take over. Your soot blowers do not work as promised and neither do your water cannons. Just close up. You never learn and keep making the same mistake over and over again.

"Upper Management"

Current Employee - Operations in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The majority of the reviews posted on this web site were written by disgruntled employees who weren't willing to provide the commitment and willingness necessary to succeed at this company. There are certainly some challenges in training and absorbing the knowledge in several of the engineering positions but those committed to learning have found a way to succeed and become valued members to this company. You must have drive and commitment, and we pay top dollar for it.

Cons

Employee Review program could be re-evaluated. It is better than nothing, but not real popular. Benefits for employees should be the same across all entire company regardless of region or country. .

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the employees.

6. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering/Production in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering/Production in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clyde Bergemann (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, nice people to work with for the most part. Good location if you live in the Atlanta metro area. Fairly relaxed dress code, decent work environment, and flexible work hours. If you work hard, and put in your time, there is opportunity for advancement. There are also opportunities to move to different departments. There are many of us who have worked here for double digit years.

Cons

Formal training could be improved. The company operates pretty lean, so when work is slow, management is frequently looking to reduce the head count, even this seems to be the norm these days. Overall, the industry is struggling.

Advice to Management

For the most part, they do listen to what I have to say.

"All the 4 and 5 star reviews are BS"

Former Employee - Projects in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Projects in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. It's not a good company or a good location? Located in the middle of spaghetti junction at rush hour. Only good thing was they gave me a pay check.

Cons

Too many to list but management is horrible. They don't have a clue. Not one clue.
    Solid fuel boilers are not doing well so the company will continue to go down.

Advice to Management

Close it down

"C.B. was a great company to work for during the growing stage."

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the time that the company was growing, We had Good Management, Decent Salaries, Decent Benefits, Good Bonus structure. Everyone, Management and Labor, worked as a team to grow the company. And we did that very well. We designed and manufactured the best state of the art industrial equipment available.

Cons

Times Changed, the company changed, top management changed. Degrees became more important than experience and product knowledge. We were all let go and replaced with younger employees with degrees and Zero experience.
    Practically all expertise and Real product knowledge is now gone. Quality suffered, and Sales suffered. The company is currently struggling trying to recover. Recently it sold off to a group in china.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes. The people who designed, and worked with the equipment, ironing out flaws and glitches, will always be of more value to the company than a newbie with a sheep skin in the same position.

"Clyde Bergemann could have been a great company, but never was."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees at CBPG were top notch and did the best with the tools they had, in the offices and in the manufacturing facilities.

If you were in the right position you could be respected and would get to travel to some interesting places and work on interesting projects.

The pay was only OK, if you were not in management and married you could not make it on a single CB salary.

Some people could maintain a long life with the company without doing anything of note. Good for them.

Some people got decent treatment if they had the right manager. There was not many of those people.

Cons

Where to start and be brief?

Everything was wrong with management. The decisions they would make daily were laughable. From the projects they chose to take on while obviously losing money to the constant head-in-the-sand idea to focus on process improvement. From their hiring decisions to decisions about reconfiguring the work environment.

The people that truly suffered while I was there were Engineers, Project Managers, and shop workers. It did not matter if you had the most experience and did everything right, management would hire inexperienced idiots because of their name or college degree whether they were capable or not.

Sales force was inept and constantly screwed up while they maintained safe job security. Meanwhile the people that made them look good were stepped on and degraded.

Operations was on and off. The current and previous Operations Directors were a big part of the problems. They never set up their processes well and neither would listen to any kind of logic about improvements.

Advice to Management

If you are running a skeleton crew that is overworked and underpaid, who cares about process improvement?

Find an operations manager that has finger on the pulse of whatever industry you are trying to be in and don't worry about a degree.

Coal is over thanks to administrations of the recent past. You should have already been adapting by making better decisions. Hopefully, for you and your employees, you are not too late.

Cut down the higher salaried figureheads and boost some of your loyal hardworkers from within. You will be surprised what appreciation does for people. And I don't mean a cook-out or bowling.

Good luck.

"Cannot Recommend, a Steadily Declining Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, ME

Pros

The people that I interacted with on a daily basis were all good people, and a "flex time" was initiated.

Cons

No hope for pay raises, benefits were being reduced (no more "floating holiday"), water coolers were removed and replaced with filtered tap water, people were constantly overworked/overloaded. Layoffs for the past few consecutive years.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make money rather than excuses as to why projects are constantly lost/ money lost on projects.

"What a mess"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Auburn, ME
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Auburn, ME

I worked at Clyde Bergemann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company with good people. Upper management ruined all that. I have to give 20 words for "pros" but really can't so I will expound on how terrible the division president is.

Cons

A president who had no business being in his position. Hasn't left his office in years to go out to meet with employees. There are stairs with 1/2 the company working up there you know.

Advice to Management

Quit and go play golf.