ClydeUnion Pumps Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
ClydeUnion Pumps Chairman, President & CEO; SPX Christopher J. Kearney
Christopher J. Kearney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good people, poor leadership"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I have been working at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary and working environment. Very good job location for outside sales.

Cons

Problems don't get solved. Issues fester. Needs a benevelent dictator.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Take concrete actions to FIX issues.

2. "Cutting Pay and Losing Talent"

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I worked at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good history, and a strong reputation for reliable, American made products. A Classic American company, since 1874! Bought by first Clyde, and then SPX. Was a tremendously fun and exciting place to work for awhile.

Cons

Since SPX took over in 2013, they have closed the only US factory in Battle Creek, the insurance and benefits have been slashed to sub-par levels, and now they are starting to cut people's pay. Some sales professionals have seen their income potential plummet by 60-70%! On top of that, they are now demanding that employees sign an extremely broad non-compete agreement (in conjunction with the pay cut) and they fired several who voiced concerns. Commissions that were due in May have yet to be paid as of July 24. Fully one-third of the sales force has fled in the first half of 2014, with more likely to follow. Factories and service centers are likely to be pretty empty until SPX can stop the bleeding. I'd estimate that another third of the sales force will be gone by year's end unless leadership wakes up and starts leading.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to and stealing from your loyal employees. Pay what they already earned, and deal honestly with the future.

3. "Excellent place to work, great and loyal employees, very poor upper management"

Current Employee - Purchasing in Battle Ground, WA
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Battle Ground, WA

I have been working at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly, open environment, room to grow and travel, not a rigid corporate structure.

Cons

Can get a bit frustrating dealing with the Rush Rush Rush Atmosphere

Advice to Management

Hope the new CEO works out well!

4. "What have you done?"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work with ClydeUnion Pumps - People and Products

Cons

SPX has changed the way ClydeUnion operates. People are no longer considered assets and the product quality and delivery have taken a negative turn. Structure is not clear and ALL employees are unsure about the future.

Advice to Management

Communicate what the end goal is to employees, pay comissions due and push for a healthier work environment.

5. "Great colleagues / Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I worked at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best people to work with. Most get along so well that business and social life are very close. Again most will go out of their way to help you. If hourly paid like I was the overtime is readily available. Benefits are really good too. RRSP contributions are good for longer standing employees.

Cons

Management is all over the place. Since SPX took over it seems to have gotten worse. Very dis-organised chaos sometimes. As such tempers and patience can sometimes be stretched to breaking point. Work area needs to be improved, very cramped (Engineering in particular). Lighting is far too bright. Parking could be better.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they matter. Let them know their worth. Do not take them for granted. Get organised and listen to suggestions for improvements.

6. "SPX have not been a positive influence at all"

Former Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ClydeUnion Pumps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of people who work there are great, with excellent technical ability and knowledge and the work was always very interesting, I met some amazing people and I still keep in touch with them to this day and I wish them all the best. I have now moved on to bigger and better things and take with me additional skills that I developed at Clyde Union pumps.

Cons

Since SPX took over, and after the previous owner assured us that there would be no redundancies at least for a while, they started chopping into the staff levels extremely quickly, and it more than halved from a workforce of about 900, down to 400 within 3 years.

There is a real sense of an unknown future for everybody that is there which is a shame as there are still a lot of nice people left.

Attitudes between some of the staff towards the end of my stint there were really bad, constant complaining and getting on each other`s back which is undoubtedly a result of the deterioration of the business.

The management don`t help the confidence of the workforce either almost putting the blame on them when the blame should go up not down.

I don`t see much of a future for this historic and famous Scottish company which is one of the last to remain.

Advice to Management

Give more confidence to your staff instead of taking it away, start shifting the blame upwards instead of downwards, create more of a family atmosphere like their used to be instead of an us vs them mentality

7. "Great company excellent prospects"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ClydeUnion Pumps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

the culture and the management support

Cons

interface with shop floor need to evolve ,on site inspectors are rude and unprofessional