Co-op CSA Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Murrells
  1. "Decent"

Former Employee - CSA in Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The discount card was decent mind!

Cons

Belittling management and absolute jobsworth area managers

Advice to Management

Just let your staff crack on, and do the work instead of mithering them every 10 seconds. Also, it'd be nice to see actual career progression offered to people, instead of handed to people that hang out of managements hoop.

Co-op2019-09-04

September 5, 2019

Thanks very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our benefits. All of our colleagues are supported in their personal development and we offer multiple different routes to support career progression. We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with management, we would always advise our colleagues to speak to our HR department if they don't feel like they can speak directly to their line manager.

2. "Co-Op Work"

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Tipton, England

I have been working at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy, friendly, decent pay, understanding company

Cons

not very challenging. Same repetitive shifts

Co-op2019-06-03

June 12, 2019

Thanks very much for your feedback. It's great to hear that you would recommend the Co-op.

3. "Use to be good now.its poor"

Former Employee - CSA in Wirral, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Forma staff n management.fun good breaks

Cons

New.management are horrible and unfair.

Advice to Management

To be more fair

Co-op2019-06-08

June 20, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with us. If our employees are unhappy there are many options available to them, including discussions with our HR team and help from our employee assistant programme.

4. "Fun"

Current Employee - CSA in Derby, England

I have been working at Co-op part-time for less than a year

Pros

Made friends and fit around my schedule

Cons

Customers can be very rude.

Co-op2019-02-22

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice customers and staff discount

Cons

lack of use of local knowledge

Co-op2018-01-30

February 19, 2018Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your review. It's great to hear you'e enjoying your job at our Co-op and enjoy the benefits offered to you. ^Catherine

"Frustrating, with unnecessary challenges towards better customer service every step of the way."

Former Employee - CSA in Worthing, South East England, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reliable income - they don't expect much of you and its technically a very easy job. There are often training schemes open, even to non supervisors - I found its all very much dependent on which store you're based in.

Cons

Everything is plain, predictable and easy enough to deal with unless you get a bad manager/supervisor (or a pretend supervisor that acts like one but isn't paid to do the job...) that treats the workplace like their final years of high school. Attitudes of staff (at all levels) can range from delusional and down right arrogant to power hungry, stuck in the past and incredibly stubborn - and its usually these... people who have a position of power. The biggest problem is that they always put the wrong person in the wrong position - the culture is terrible and they have literally no idea how to spot and retain talent. You get a lot of people that simply don't care about the job (its the worst when its a manager or supervisor) and those that do often seem to lack the understanding of how to inspire people or to get the best out of their team - and even if they try, they are very rarely trusted enough by their superiors to allow them to do achieve anything worth while. Lack of trust is one of the worst things about working in a place like this. Nice people don't seem to get too far, so be prepared to play office politics if you want to get anywhere in this organisation - I am really not surprised they are facing the troubles they are right now.

Advice to Management

Stop blindly accepting that retail doesn't attract the right type of employees/retail will never pay enough to attract passionate people/one of many other excuses - and take your time to nurture both your staff and the culture of your store. Careers are not things of the past, plenty of people are still looking to invest considerable years of their lives into such jobs and if you are ever going to attract the... right people, you need to start acting in the same way you want your staff to - and trust them enough to do their jobs properly.

Co-op2014-12-08
  7. "Positive, good company"

Former Employee - CSA

I worked at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Hours, Pay holidays good

Cons

No Development, Tedious training not great

Advice to Management

More company wide events

Co-op2014-08-06
  8. "Inferior to Somerfield, my previous employers."

Current Employee - CSA in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at Co-op part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holidays, overtime if wanted and reasonably flexible

Cons

Under staffed, poorly paid in comparison to other supermarkets while the prices are a fair degree higher. Seem to value fair trade and animal rights, but not really considerate of worker's rights and fair treatment. For example, low hour contracts to suit business purposes, which leave some staff members struggling one month to the next.

Advice to Management

Value staff and staffing levels more. A happy workforce work harder and are less likely to be off work sick.

Co-op2014-05-10

"A company who's fair trade and ethical morals don't stretch to the treatment of their staff."

Current Employee - CSA in Lezayre

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only positive I have of working for this company is a certain pride in the fair trade and ethical products that it sells.

Cons

> Senior management are simply filling a position and contribute little. > CSAs doing the work of team leaders/managers and receiving no extra pay or recognition. > Stores are FILTHY and equipment is a joke and always breaking. > No trust given to staff, checking how often we use our discount cards etc. > Poor wage in comparison to other supermarkets. > Deliveries are always late or wrong... and we then have to deal with unhappy customers > Managers who let their staff be verbally abused by customers or contradict policies on refunds just to keep the customer happy.

Advice to Management

The way things are designed to work have clearly been written by someone who does not work in that scenario, you need to spend time asking the opinions of CSAs to improve the system. You can't expect staff who are unhappy to deliver good service, it won't happen. The Co-operative needs a reboot. New stores and uniforms that staff can be proud of as well as rethinking the system and policies. It does have the... potential to be a lot better than it is, so its a shame it's not but whoever is at the top needs to hit that re start button.

Co-op2014-05-03
  10. "The employees I.e their members own the company and so get a share of the profits.."

Former Employee - CSA in London, England

I worked at Co-op part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will get 10% off most things once you have been their for 3 months. You most learn as you go along as they tell you nothing

Cons

They expect you to know the principles and ethics of the Co-Operative movement, but the store usually forgets that bit.

Advice to Management

Younger employees are worked like a horse.

Co-op2013-06-04