Co-op Team Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Murrells
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Team Manager in York, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a company they really care about their employees and there are great opportunities for those who want to progress and also for those who just want to expand their skillset.

Cons

You can't choose your manager and unfortunately its the higher ups that decide your progression. the path isn't always clear on what your options are if there is someone standing in the way of your career.

Advice to Management

Be kind, Be fair. If you never have intentions of letting your team progress tell them, don't give false hope.

Co-op2019-09-21

October 3, 2019

Thanks very much for your 5 star review! We appreciate your comments.

2. "Worst job"

Former Employee - Team Manager

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good for progression Good for work in the community

Cons

Lot of unsociable shifts, kiss goodbye to a life. Upper management abysmal. Very monotonous. Company is all about giving the customers what they want with very little to no interest in their staff. During my time in the company, every benefit or incentive to work for the company was stripped, ie dividends, bonuses, discounts of 20% etc.

Co-op2019-10-15
  3. "Ok for retail"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are opportunitys to progress

Cons

Lots of long unpaid hours

Co-op2019-08-15

August 16, 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review - we appreciate your feedback.

4. "Great if you aren't a manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Plymouth, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive benefits including staff discount, pension scheme, health schemes, free funeral if you die in service. Nice to work in small communities.

Cons

Not getting breaks - if you take your breaks there isn't enough time to get jobs done and you get picked up on that. Meant to be customer focussed but have so few hours we don't have the time to give customers our full attention. Salaries are not competitive.

Advice to Management

Skip this one. Constant cuts to the number of hours stores are allowed to use and then boast about how high the profits are. They have integrated lots of time-saving systems, but then cut all the time that you saved so you don't end up any better off. I could understand cutting some of the time saved, but the rest should be re-invested to helping customers.

Co-op2018-10-26

October 29, 2018.

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you enjoy the staff discount and associated benefits of being a Co-op Colleague. You are always able to speak with your Manager or Area Manager regarding getting the breaks that you are entitled to. Alternatively, you can contact our HR Department. ^Sam

"Glad to be out of there."

Former Employee - Team Manager in Gillingham, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than a year

Pros

The 10% discount. The store colleagues are brilliant - it's a shame the business makes a lot of them work for free. Relies very heavily on goodwill, intimidation by higher management and lies.

Cons

Prepare to work for free, in the shadow of bullying and intimidation, and be more than prepared to feel lonely. One on one working all day every day, even when accepting deliveries. Deliveries often turn up together which means you have to fit 30 cages of stock into a stockroom built for 10 cages. Old buildings that are not fit for purpose. Area managers who really don't care less.

Advice to Management

People in head office need to have an understanding about what it is like to run a shop with only two members of staff. There is no wonder team morale is low, stress levels are rising along with absence levels. It just seems like they don't care at all. I am so relieved to be out of there.

Co-op2018-10-04

October 16, 2018.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. You should be paid for the time you work and if that is not the case you need to take this up with HR. We have a zero-tolerance approach to harassment and bullying. You can call our Bullying and Harassment Hotline on 0844 728 0165 should you wish to discuss your experience. All the best with your future career. ^Sam

"No work life balance"

Former Employee - Store Manager/Team Leader

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount Workday passes quick compared to other places

Cons

Extremely poor work life balance. Senior level management expects miracles based on restricted employee hours. The only way to circumvent was for salaried managers to pull excessive hours beyond their contract. Even then it was thankless, you get more work thrown your way because now you were capable of meeting the expectations

Advice to Management

Review Compensation policies for the salaried management team.

Co-op2018-08-28

October 18, 2018.

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that you thought the colleague discount was of benefit. If you have concerns we would encourage you to contact our HR team. All the best with your future career. ^Sam

7. "Team manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun, rewarding, great to meet different people

Cons

Hard work, long shifts, busy

Advice to Management

Could use money to spend on hours rather than on all the POS sent to all the stores

Co-op2018-08-07

August 13, 2018Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your review. It's great to hear you enjoy your role and would recommend to others. ^Catherine

8. "Faced paced, hard work, long hours."

Current Employee - Team Manager in West Malling, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay Good community spirit Ethical Good training Loyal customers

Cons

Higher expectations than reality Fewer hours than needed Long hours

Advice to Management

More hours will improve standards across all stores.

Co-op2018-06-16

June 30, 2018Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your review. It's good to hear you enjoy your role and would recommend it to others. Regarding your concerns about hours, there is a big project at the moment which is looking into removing unnecessary tasks and making tasks in stores easier to complete so you have more time to do the tasks that matter such as engaging with customers. If you are seriously concerned about your stores hour allocation and believe that it is incorrect please raise this with your area manager to look into. ^Catherine

"Highly changeable"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Warrington, North West England, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Community work, fairtrade, team spirit, job is relatively straight forward.

Cons

Never ask for a payrise, never expect thanks, don't expect to stay in one store for too long- area managers can move you on a whim, don't expect deliveries to arrive on time or at all if the weather is too hot/cold/wet/snowy etc, you'll work with less than minimal staff under constant threat of cutting hours further, you'll have no say in what happens to your store during refits, be prepared to be dumped in a... terrible store if the AM doesn't like you, expectation is far greater than you can ever attain....

Advice to Management

Don't expect to go home feeling good about your store/shift unless you're prepared to work 16 hrs a day, 7 days a week to make up the shortfall in staffing hours.

Co-op2018-04-03

June 8, 2018Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your review. It's lovely to hear that you enjoy the community work and our ethic. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues wth your manager. Managers should be giving regular feedback to colleagues and supporting and developing them. If you have concerns about your development and the stores you are working in I'd advise that you raise these with your manager or next line manager if you feel like your Area Manager isn't supporting. If you need any additional support we have Employee Assistance Programme which is available 24-hours-a-day, 365 days a year if you need: confidential advice, support, counselling, whether it’s to do with work or not. ^Catherine

"Quarter of a century...."

Current Employee - Team Manager in Brighton, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have met some fantastic people over the 25 years I have worked for them, people who live and breathe the 'Co-op difference'. The organisation is VERY people focused, but this sometimes stops at Area/Store manager level. If you are fortunate to work with a inspiring manager who really is 'Being Co-op' it is a fantastic place to work, with plenty of opportunity to do good in your community and your career, you just... need the self motivation and the encouragement by your manager to do it. I have been very lucky recently and love my job! . . . . If the store manager is 'Being Co-op' then Work/life balance is great. To summarise: Fantastic employer . . . just get the right manager as there is a lot of duds out there

Cons

Unfortunately there are a lot of Managers in the society who are just that . . Managers and not Leaders! . . . stuck in an archaic way of running their area/store and still run on control & command, rather than inspiring their team, but I know the organisation is doing their best to expose and coach these managers to try a different way . . but you know what they say about (some) old dogs.

Advice to Management

Talk to & Listen to your colleagues on the front line (you rely on talkback too much it does not portray a true picture) ENGAGEMENT - ENGAGEMENT - ENGAGEMENT! you will get more productivity out of your colleagues if they are doing what they enjoy in a happy environment . . . sooo much more than any S3 principle. Also . . Keep 'Being Co-op' alive in store . . . its starting to slowly be put on the back burner on... a very low light!

Co-op2018-02-03

March 19, 2018

Thankyou for your review. Its' lovely to hear you like your career at Co-op and have a positive outlook for the future. Thank you for the advice on keeping Being Co-op alive, there are some big plans this year to do exactly that and to continuously engage colleague throughout the year, hopefully you enjoy the changes. ^Catherine

Found 24 reviews