CoStar Group Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 69 reviews)

• Past the initial phase of learning how CoStar operates and how you collect data you wont learn anything else about commercial real estate (in 17 reviews)

"Research"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry job into commercial real estate. Pay is pretty good. Coworkers are awesome and the best part of the job. The holiday party is amazing.

Cons

They change the goals constantly and the goals are all over the place. Management does nothing but listen to your phone calls. The CEO puts on an awesome holiday party, seriously spends good money on it while our CRE system goes down more than the goals change. I could probably count on one hand how many days I worked and my system didn't go down. More like a call center than anything else.

Apr 3, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review and your time with us. Change does come fast at CoStar. That focus on agility has helped to keep us competitive and drive value for our clients in a constantly evolving ... More

"Don't F••k With Me-If he can say it, I can too."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regular hours, decent benefits, learning about commercial real estate (if your manager is decent), free snacks.

Cons

A monotonous, high pressure job for no reason. The rediculous metrics they ask researchers to achieve does not "justify" the pressure placed on researchers.

Advice to Management

Instead of making researchers feel like they are one missed question away from being fired, provide better training, and treat us like people. If you want the production that automated computer callers could provide, then use them.

Apr 3, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review and for your five years with us. We appreciate the hard work that you’ve done. CoStar helps customers discover crucial decision-making information and much of that ... More

"You're better off working at Walmart"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, but it will cost you your soul.

Cons

Expect constant change in your responsibilities. There's a lack of focus on a long term plan and too much focus on metrics that don't matter. Managers and directors cannot be trusted and are not honest people. If you give notice, expect their true colors to show, even if you considered them close. You lose your autonomy as an employee of theirs. The research title has moved away from research and it's more of a call center rep now.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the performance and integrity of your managers and directors. They are the leaders. They should be professional and abide by company policy at all times. There's been too many instances in which things went unnoticed.

Apr 3, 2017 – CoStar Team

Change is a constant here and that long-term focus on staying agile helps us to remain the leader in a fiercely competitive market. Calling is a crucial component of our research methodology. It’s ... More

"This is a Call Center!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits are good. This is an entry level position only requires Bachelor Degree. You will probably like your coworkers and direct supervisors.

Cons

Unfortunately none of the above will matter.

The job itself is quite simple. Talk to people and do research to ensure product is accurate. However the metrics which is the main focus of your job will not allow you to ensure the product is correct. You will instead spend your day trying to get people to stay on the phone with you long enough to meet the ridiculous call goals. Instead of spending the time to research your market to make sure everything in the product is correct. People will complain about you calling monthly they will politely ask you to call less often or go to their website, they will hang up on you, they will curse you out, but it does not matter you will call them again next month.

If you do not meet the metrics you will be fired. Every one there is scared that they will not have a job the next week due to not meeting the metrics which change monthly.

There is no room for advancement. You will be so stressed out from work your life outside of work will suffer. Senior management is aware, they send out "anonymous" surveys but nothing changes. Your direct supervisor has no control neither do the managers over them. It all comes down from the top. Where their idea of fixing it, is sending out catch phrases to help "brand" the company better. In most cases these taglines are a misrepresentation (lie).

Advice to Management

There will always be a need for goals. The scorecard including data value added, update percentage and broker contact are the best measurements for this job. These ensure that the product you are selling stays up to date and accurate. The call goals just stress out employees and annoy clients and potential customers. It is 2017 the phone is not the best way to reach people anymore. No amount of rebranding and catch line statements you send out can fix this.

Apr 3, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving feedback; we appreciate your input on metrics. We carefully design our goals to help researchers excel and to create value for clients. Calling is a crucial component of research ... More

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

Pros

Seemed to be a good deal of growth opportunity for people willing to put in the effort.

Cons

"research" felt like telemarketing, complete with phone call monitoring and daily call numbers that kept going up

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the research associate position more substantive

"Research Associate 2"

Current Employee - RA2 in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - RA2 in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was talking to a former co-worker/friend today who was bashing CoStar. They said they had posted something on glassdoor recently. I had never been on here before, but felt I should leave some genuine comments. Some posts have some merit, but the former co-worker I was speaking to worked in another office, but even so, this person doesn't have the greatest work ethic. I've been to HQ before and it definitely has a different feel, but that's because multiple departments are housed there. That is actually a good thing as I've seen people easily move from research to sales, or sales to marketing, or research to IT. I've been with the company for 10+ years. Recently received employee stock for that milestone. I wanted to take some time to highlight some of what I told my former co-worker. CEO gave our DC and Columbia office off the Friday before the blizzard, and the Monday after. My friend said, so what, my response was how many companies did that with pay? Every year we have a top notch holiday party, this past year was at the Building Museum in DC. I love it and so do many of my co-workers. Tons of other perks above 401k match, stock discount, employee recognition, annual merit increase, quarterly bonuses, etc. The researcher role is one of the most difficult and I know quite a few people that left because it is demanding. I guess where I differ is that demanding is rewarding. I think many of my current co-workers feel the same. Our office is a pretty close group and it's neat to see the newer employees become a part of that. We have our challenges, but I know most of the staff and managers care, and that I can share my honest feedback with them. My last comment is about all the change I've seen in 10 years. We've acquired multiple companies, including Loopnet one of our biggest competitors as well as other companies, like Apartments.com and smaller companies. Growing bigger has some challenges, but if you work hard here, it does create job security.

Cons

As I mentioned above, we have acquired multiple companies and that brings about change. The research department typically shoulders the work in transition. The Loopnet and Apartments.com piece required RA's to move quite a bit from one portfolio to another because we needed to support company initiatives. I definitely understand the why behind it, but that can be more difficult for employees who don't see the bigger picture. There are competing demands which in many cases are all "top priority," again I understand this, but for others it is more difficult. This section is more about reality. My role in the organization is an important one and as I said before, demanding, but rewarding. It has been a great place for me for 10+ years, but make sure you understand the demands of the role.

Advice to Management

Overall I'm very happy when I come to work each day. I think our location offers some great perks, and a majority of the staff definitely believes in what we are trying to achieve. My only advice is to keep building on what we have in place. I look forward to helping that next generation of employee be a part of what we have.

Mar 25, 2016 – Social Media Manager

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts, we’re deeply appreciative of such a thoughtful review, are thrilled that you’re happy here and working to welcome new teammates into ... More

"Great Company to Start a Career"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is definitely a lot of room for growth and promotion in our office. I worked hard, and just after my first year, I was promoted to Research Associate II. That promotion came with a nice salary increase. I work with a team and that is probably my favorite part of the job. Everyone wants to see the people around them succeed and we really work well together. We have quick group meetings in the morning with our manager and we go through our goals and talk about some of the things that we are trying to get accomplished. That really helps me structure my day.

Cons

You have to be able to adapt and multi-task because it is definitely a fast-paced environment. This job is not for everyone.

Mar 25, 2016 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for this review. We agree that working here is fast-paced! We will pass your comments on to the recruiters to make sure they let candidates know what is required to be successful ... More

8. "Research Associate"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere. Colleagues care about your success. The Managers have an open door policy. There is on going training that is offered within the Center of which both employees and Managers participate in the delivery. We have perks within the office that in my experience other companies don't have. It is a fast paced environment which makes the days go quick. If you like knowing about commercial real estate, this is the place for you.

Cons

There is a lot of change management, but we all go through it together.

Advice to Management

There is great communication here in Columbia. Keep it up!

Mar 25, 2016 – Social Media Manager

Thanks for the thoughtful review! Thrilled to see that you’re enjoying our benefits and training offerings. We hear you on change and love your attitude on how you deal with it. Please feel free to ... More

9. "Only if you love Commercial Real Estate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

The office management cared about the employees and did their best to keep moral up with various activities and events

Cons

There were not many roles that one could strive for and you can clearly see favoritism within who moves up.

Advice to Management

Bring other opportunities to the office and simplify current roles. Decide whether you are a call center or a research firm. Don't be afraid of multiple forms of communication.

"Not Happy Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Start out pay for just out of college students. Teammates are pretty cool.

Cons

Micro-management, unrealistic goals. Repitive work. Expect to cold call 70+ people a day who do not care about what you say to them. You will be calling people that own a single commercial property that have never heard about CoStar Group. Management is mean and give you constant workloads and projects on top of your normal duties that are expected to be completed no matter if you have 3+ projects already to deal with. Bonuses suck. No room for career growth you are stuck doing the same thing forever. Will reach your glass ceiling very quickly. They pick favorites and if you are not one tough luck.

Advice to Management

More compassion. Less rigidness. This place feels like a call center. No one here went to college to be a telemarketer.

Feb 22, 2016 – Social Media Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you’re unhappy. Since you’re a current employee we encourage you to talk to your manager or HR about exploring new opportunities within the company that may be a better fit ... More