CoStar Group Community Researcher Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 24, 2019

2.6
CoStar Group Chief Executive Officer Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance
  1. "A Director with Great Leadership ( Troy V)"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the first time since working at CoStar for almost four years , we have a director that bring hope to his Community Researchers. In the last year his hard work in learning the role and pushing the center for what his expectations are and pushing the center to making it a great working environment. Before there was always a sense of false hope , promises to move people in roles and never happened until he came .My first conversation I had with him , I remembered him saying failure not an option for me , if my people produces , there would be great rewards. I shut that off as yep they bought someone else to sell us on that false hope. But he is a man to his words and great integrity. Awesome leader and give great pleasure working for him !

Cons

The number are attainable and hard work pays off.

Advice to Management

Having someone who understands the vision of the company help , he treat people with respect, the community researcher appreciate what he’s done and continue to do as our fearless leader.

CoStar Group2018-12-01

"Unrealistic expectations, Unhealthy in the long run"

Former Employee - Community Researcher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Insurance was good, facilities were very nice.

Cons

Eliminated bonuses, long hours with no real breaks, short lunches, unrealistic metrics, lying to people on the phone endlessly, repetitive, everyone was declining both physically and mentally since working there. Then they laid the entire department off out of nowhere after just hiring a bunch of people.

CoStar Group2019-11-25
  3. "Decent"

Former Employee - Community Researcher in Buckhead, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy basic job role that was understandable

Cons

Repetitive work. pay not good enough

CoStar Group2019-10-23

"Good but don't make this long term"

Former Employee - Community Researcher

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, pay, and training

Cons

Repetitive mundane work, not enough time to learn new skills or to advance

CoStar Group2019-09-26

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Community Researcher

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits, free snacks, and nice office building.

Cons

Where do I start? CoStar is a very racist company. The department I worked in (apartments.com) was 97% African American which included managers and the director. The job itself was very repetitive and almost robotic-like. Breaks were minimal considering you're expected to make 250+ calls a day. Coming into the job everyone seems friendly until you've worked there long enough. A lot of nepotsim goes on in this place. If you are favored here, they will cover up a lot of tardiness and adjust your metrics. There is no work life balance especially if you have children. HR completely ignores any concerns you may have. If you are considering a job here and you absolutely need a paycheck then this job may work for you, but career wise look elsewhere.

CoStar Group2019-03-26

"Community Researcher"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free healthy food every morning Beautiful office to work in Great pay Easy to bonus each month Great intro job into commercial real estate Multiple opportunities to advance in the company and build your resume Option to come in early to take a longer lunch break

Cons

Very repetitive position Requires a lot of self motivation Looking at a screen all day

Advice to Management

I've had two managers thus far and both were fantastic. If you put forth the effort, they will put you in places to succeed! iT's all about who bad you want it and prove yourself!

CoStar Group2018-02-28

"don't stay longer than a year if you have a degree"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free snacks, decent healthcare plan

Cons

Overworked, underpaid and upper management could care less. Metrics seem to change on a monthly basis and aim to take more money away from researchers. The job will burn you out. You're making hundreds of calls a day to apartments communities that don't want to talk to you and even though you are working your tail off, management only wants more out of you. A girl quit last week because her manager was harassing her about her coming in late due to her morning sickness and she was a top performer. The good managers leave because they get tired of the craziness there. There have been 11 managers that have come and go in the last 3 years, 2 center managers and 1 director that got fired. Some of us are stuck here because we don't have college degrees but if you have one, don't stay.

Advice to Management

stop acting as if the job is easy because it isn't. yes it's simple but it is not easy to do. pay people what they are worth and treat them better and they will stay.

CoStar Group2018-02-20

"Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Community Researcher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Snack provided, good benefits

Cons

Where to start , they sell you on this is a good place but because they threat the community researchers like crap trying to maintain their metric and collecting their data on a call grading system that managers tents to give you what they think you should of said , after six month of working here I had serious anxiety. They remove one Director that was bad and bring one in that HORRIBLE, he had no compassion, and is arrogant as heck! They care about making money but won’t pay the researchers what they worth or show them how they are valued

Advice to Management

Does the CEO cares about his small line employees, management push profession and they lacked that themselves, always keeping up mess

CoStar Group2018-01-26
  9. "CoStar provides a great work environment for anyone of all ages to work in."

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity to grow within the company. CoStar Group provides you with the training you need to be successful at your job.

Cons

Knowing how to deal with change is one of the biggest points I see individuals struggling with. If your a quick learner then it shouldn't be a problem to adjust.

Advice to Management

I would suggest New managers have more training before leading a team with employees who know more than them and for new employees who don't know anything.

CoStar Group2017-04-07
  10. "A Large Company w/ a Small Feel"

Community Researcher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I interacted with was positive, constructive, and professional. Upper management was very interactive and made a point to get to know people in their team. For only being on a 3 month contract I felt close, accepted, and appreciated by not only my team manager/team, but supportive staff and upper management. If anyone is looking for a company to grow with in that has a good moral compass they should give Costar a try! They aim to help any/everyone that's willing to accept criticism and stays positive.

Cons

With that being said. It's very repetitive work - some excel, some do not... if you can buckle down and deal with the repetitive day in day out stuff the rewards in advancement are worth it. Also the company is still trying to tweak a few small things in a structural aspect, but as many should know change takes time and trial/error. But I'd say it had improved a lot in the short time I was there.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It's headed in the right direction. Also keep with pushing training/retraining. And update managers and ensure managers update callers on changes to expectations when grading calls.

CoStar Group2016-10-21