CoStar Group Field Research Photographer Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew C. Florance

"Awesome place to work"

Field Research Photographer

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Great people, pay, and benefits. Work is good too great place to have a career.

Cons

None that I can think of

CoStar Group2016-11-02

"False Promises Followed by Utter Disrespect"

Former Employee - Field Research Photographer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekends and holidays off. Literally nothing else.

Cons

Pay Terrible management Pay raises that are no better than being spit in the face (e.x. $0.07/hr raise, or $150/yr.) Impossible to meet work quotas leading to... Impossible to acquire commissions

CoStar Group2019-11-03

"Good Place to Work"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good work life balance, fun, flexible, interesting and great training.

Cons

Limited chance for advancement depending on location and if you are willing to relocate. Big brother is always watching which isn't really an issue as long as you do your job. But it is a bit uncomfortable knowing they are watching every little thing you do.

Advice to Management

Realize each market has its pros and cons and adjust metrics to be more realistic in rural areas vs urban areas.

CoStar Group2019-03-22

"It could be better"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work by yourself and have full benefits.

Cons

This job will slowly suck the life out of your soul. Long hours driving and have absolutely no snow days in a city where the weather is terrible!

Advice to Management

Nothing much, it's corporate job so it's not like anything will change.

CoStar Group2019-01-04

"Caution"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

At first glance this company has a lot to offer. The company has been around for 30+ years and continues to grow. So there are numerous departments and opportunities to move within the company. In certain positions there is an opportunity for travel and equipment (required to do the job) will typically be provided to every employee.

Cons

The opportunity for growth and movement within the company is typically over advertised at hire. To begin with, every position requires a bachelor’s degree or higher, even the low level positions. The salaries are less then adequate for hourly employees and low-mid level management positions. The upper management and executive team profit nicely, however. The salaries are pre-determined based on job classification and do not take previous work experience or market cost of living into account. Therefore an employee working in Omaha Nebraska receives the same compensation as an employee performing the exact same work in New York City. The company will frequently make process, business, and staffing changes that directly impact large departments without proper communication or explanation. Last year the seasoned management team within the Field Research Department were forced out and replaced with many individuals that had little to no experience in leadership. Some of these new managers lack the experience and skill set to develop and mentor their hourly employees. In general, the company has little trust or empathy for their employees working in the field. This negative culture, mistrust, and poor leadership stems directly from the top individuals in the company. The amount of unprofessional, humiliating, and even aggressive communication sent out by these individuals (to the entire company or department) are astounding for a company this size. This is a company that will use you, abuse you, and discard you when continent to do so. Apply at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Invest in leadership training for all members of management. Pay hourly and lower level employees an adequate and respectable wages. Place checks and balances on the executive leadership team. Alter the culture within the company to be more positive, cultivating, and focused on professional development of employees.

CoStar Group2019-01-14

"My time as Field Research Photographer"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

I’ve worked for Costar almost 2 years now. Before accepting the position I asked a friend how she liked the job. She really seemed to like it. She said you work 5hours in the car, then 3 hours at home editing everyday. Sounded fine and I took the job. I went to training in Richmond VA and Washington DC for about a week was trained exactly as explained, around 5 hours driving in search of for sale/ rent commercial properties and 3 hours of editing and uploading at home. The owner Andrew Florance comes and talks with the trainees for a full day. His presence and speech is captivating, making you think you’re in for the best job of your life. That’s what it was for the first year, an awesome job. Things have changed drastically. In the past 3 months I’ve gone through 3 different managers and literally no one I started with, including 2 of my previous managers, 80% of my original team nor friends still work for costar. Now you’re expected to work the entire 8hr day from your car. Also being micromanaged and tracked every step of the day. It would take me far to long to list all the cons of this job. The other recent negative reviews do some justice, but honestly be prepared to hate this job after a few short months.

Cons

Don’t have the energy to find another job.

Advice to Management

Andrew Florance is smart and prob gonna be a big deal one day, you just don’t care about your employees.

CoStar Group2018-11-12
  7. "Stuck in a car all day-"Field research photographer""

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, technology and on the job experience

Cons

Constantly being micro managed and metrics are law of the land. Upper mgmt are control freaks, and Even though production goals are met, they are solely focused on controlling, tracking and questioning field employees' every move. In the past field employees were allowed to work part of the day from home, but recently flexibility has gone out the window because of micro managing. Field employees are being forced to work out of company car all day so they can be tracked by mgmt, and morale is at an all time low. apathy is high. Managers are so overwhelmed by metrics and can't properly lead their teams or have time to work with their employees. Basically it's like second grade or the military. if a few people screw up or don't do their jobs, the whole department is punished.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans who have families and lives, not like robots or minions.

CoStar Group2017-08-18

"Worst experience of my professional life."

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are good. I may give some entry level workers a foot in the door, but they don't seem to promote from within much so don't count on moving up.

Cons

I was never treated like a professional (or even a coworker) by my manager. The department was around 50/50 male female ratio, and yet only 1 in 20 or so managers was a women. Top tier management makes decisions that do not work in practice and all middle and lower managers can say is "it's out of my hands". I was discouraged from offering ideas about increasing productivity. Everyone feels like they can get fired at any moment for little or no reason (warranted: they fire lots of people daily), but it makes people unwilling to make decisions. Managers will tell you to do one thing on the phone, and then write the opposite in an email to cover their butt by having something it writing. HR will not email you back for the same reason, don't want anything in writing. They whole company leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Advice to Management

Navigating through the sea of managers is a nightmare. There needs to be advocates for employers that actually can make decisions and solve problems. Employees need a place to take their ideas to improve the company and the workplace because lower managers aren't interested and just trying to keep their jobs, and there is not way to talk to the managers above them without ruffling feathers. I constantly heard the terms "loss of privileges" or "one bad egg spoils the..." from management as if our team was being punished which seemed unbelievably unprofessional.

CoStar Group2017-06-06

"Field Researcher"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer in New York, NY

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and work hours capped at 40hr/wk

Cons

Tedious, most of workday spent alone, uncomfortable interactions with building owners

CoStar Group2016-09-26

"All about quantity. No regards for quality. No regards for employees. Upper management incompetent and indifferent."

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent benefits. I can't say anything other than that. The pay is lower than average and the management is corrupt and incompetent.

Cons

This job was actually worse than telemarketing. Positions are structured ridiculously. Salary positions are paid hourly without overtime. Earning a living requires make bonuses. Making Bonuses requires that you work too quickly to produce anything of quality. Management is corrupt and incompetent. Metrics force employees to focus on only quantity.

Advice to Management

Get rid of CEO and almost all of the upper management. Replace them with competent and in-touch professionals who understand what they're doing.

CoStar Group2014-04-08