CoStar Group Reviews in Maryland | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 64 reviews)

• Disorganized management very high turnover (in 31 reviews)

"Research"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry job into commercial real estate. Pay is pretty good. Coworkers are awesome and the best part of the job. The holiday party is amazing.

Cons

They change the goals constantly and the goals are all over the place. Management does nothing but listen to your phone calls. The CEO puts on an awesome holiday party, seriously spends good money on it while our CRE system goes down more than the goals change. I could probably count on one hand how many days I worked and my system didn't go down. More like a call center than anything else.

"Don't F••k With Me-If he can say it, I can too."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regular hours, decent benefits, learning about commercial real estate (if your manager is decent), free snacks.

Cons

A monotonous, high pressure job for no reason. The rediculous metrics they ask researchers to achieve does not "justify" the pressure placed on researchers.

Advice to Management

Instead of making researchers feel like they are one missed question away from being fired, provide better training, and treat us like people. If you want the production that automated computer callers could provide, then use them.

"You're better off working at Walmart"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, but it will cost you your soul.

Cons

Expect constant change in your responsibilities. There's a lack of focus on a long term plan and too much focus on metrics that don't matter. Managers and directors cannot be trusted and are not honest people. If you give notice, expect their true colors to show, even if you considered them close. You lose your autonomy as an employee of theirs. The research title has moved away from research and it's more of a call center rep now.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the performance and integrity of your managers and directors. They are the leaders. They should be professional and abide by company policy at all times. There's been too many instances in which things went unnoticed.

"This is a Call Center!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits are good. This is an entry level position only requires Bachelor Degree. You will probably like your coworkers and direct supervisors.

Cons

Unfortunately none of the above will matter.

The job itself is quite simple. Talk to people and do research to ensure product is accurate. However the metrics which is the main focus of your job will not allow you to ensure the product is correct. You will instead spend your day trying to get people to stay on the phone with you long enough to meet the ridiculous call goals. Instead of spending the time to research your market to make sure everything in the product is correct. People will complain about you calling monthly they will politely ask you to call less often or go to their website, they will hang up on you, they will curse you out, but it does not matter you will call them again next month.

If you do not meet the metrics you will be fired. Every one there is scared that they will not have a job the next week due to not meeting the metrics which change monthly.

There is no room for advancement. You will be so stressed out from work your life outside of work will suffer. Senior management is aware, they send out "anonymous" surveys but nothing changes. Your direct supervisor has no control neither do the managers over them. It all comes down from the top. Where their idea of fixing it, is sending out catch phrases to help "brand" the company better. In most cases these taglines are a misrepresentation (lie).

Advice to Management

There will always be a need for goals. The scorecard including data value added, update percentage and broker contact are the best measurements for this job. These ensure that the product you are selling stays up to date and accurate. The call goals just stress out employees and annoy clients and potential customers. It is 2017 the phone is not the best way to reach people anymore. No amount of rebranding and catch line statements you send out can fix this.

"Don't question CEO or you might get Fired"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Elkridge, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are supportive of each other under our current communal suffering.
    I think it's time the workforce unionize - though the hearsay of that will probably inflict even more threats over this demoralized workforce.

Cons

If you question the CEO or attempt to buck his edicts, you risk being fired. Take late 2016 fall/winter for examples:
    1) a high level manager who thought the new branding edicts and multiple hour "on-the-phone" calling requirements were not only unrealistic and unobtainable; did not enforce these new ceo demands on their underlings. So that person was fired.
    2) the entire training department in Richmond was fired; some of whom were employed as trainers for 10-15+ years. Then "all of a sudden" they were all inept and incompetent; and thus all fired. Really?!

Advice to Management

Board of Directors needs to wake up - stop the CEO and management on these insane fulfilment requirements being placed on the work force.

"Certainly Don't Recommend working here!"

Former Employee - Property Administrator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Property Administrator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of people I worked with were nice.
    Fairly close to larger shopping centers.

Cons

a) Staff are talked down to and belittled.
    b) Bonus are completely unachievable. (especially due to the new calling metrics and the 4 branding statements your require to regurgitate back to customers you have been working with for years - enraging with wasting their time them off with your droning & boring statements)
    c) I have seen untalented people and cheats get promoted because they say the 'right' things.
    d) Feedback is not listened to.
    e) The upper management resent the staff and treat the foot soldiers like scum.
    f) Most people are looking for a way out.

Advice to Management

SADLY: They will not listen. They, especially the founder, are not interested in their workers.

CoStar Group Response

Mar 8, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review and your time with us. We appreciate the value that you added to the company. Our metrics and marketing tools are designed to help researchers excel and deliver value to CoStar ... More

"Oh boy, glad to be out of that hell house"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am grateful for the comradery of all my collegues. Together we tried (emphasize try, because you cannot) to endure the torture of CoStar's new escalated metrics.

Cons

Imagine being at an oar in the galley of a Viking war ship. Pulling to beating drum. Skip a beat and get whipped.
    With the new metrics, branding and calling demands; it's an unreal adventure at CoStar.
    To any prospects - don't even think about this company.
    The managers of are no help to employees, they just push down the proclamations of our infamous CEO.
    Who obviously has no idea what his decrees are doing to all the "worker ants" who make this business.
    Then again, maybe he does and is trying to "trim the bottom line" - positioning the company to be sold.

Advice to Management

Managers: listen to your employees, those there and those who have left
    Is your job to help and support your reporting staff or is your job to kiss up to the CEO?

9. "Postive Reviews here are FAKE !"

Current Contractor - Financial Consultant in Clarksburg, MD
    Current Contractor - Financial Consultant in Clarksburg, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, even in these bad conditions; they are good people

Cons

Company is trying rank up against all the negative reviews being posted here on Glassdoor.

It's easy to see this because all those "fake positive" reviews:
      a) are really short
      b) have no details and are vague
      c) no supportive info qualifying the positiveness

Advice to Management

When is the CEO going to stop listening to certain "advisors" and return to normality ?!
    The Board needs to step in and right the ridiculous situations going on in the company; or it will go slowly and silently into the night.

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

Pros

Seemed to be a good deal of growth opportunity for people willing to put in the effort.

Cons

"research" felt like telemarketing, complete with phone call monitoring and daily call numbers that kept going up

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the research associate position more substantive

11. "Accounting Intern"

Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Laytonsville, MD
    Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Laytonsville, MD

I worked at CoStar Group as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interning at CoStar was a good way to learn about working in a professional office environment. This was a part-time temporary job.

Cons

Working downtown DC requires riding the Metro which has been unreliable.