CoStar Group Research Associate I Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Chief Executive Officer Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

"Research Associate"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good benefits -monthly metro fare stipend -lounge area with free healthy snacks -build relationships with clients -learn alot about the real estate business -9-5, weekends off

Cons

-sitting down all day -making a lot of phone calls -can be too repetitive -if you're not slightly into real estate or research, don't even bother

CoStar Group2016-02-25

"Research"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great entry job into commercial real estate. Pay is pretty good. Coworkers are awesome and the best part of the job. The holiday party is amazing.

Cons

They change the goals constantly and the goals are all over the place. Management does nothing but listen to your phone calls. The CEO puts on an awesome holiday party, seriously spends good money on it while our CRE system goes down more than the goals change. I could probably count on one hand how many days I worked and my system didn't go down. More like a call center than anything else.

CoStar Group2017-03-03

"Research Associate I"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food, easy work, young people, set hours, cool office. Learn a good amount about cre during training if you don't have previous experience.

Cons

Performance based on number of 1.5 minutes phone calls, not on amount of data entered or the accuracy of the data. Feels very much like a call center, after 2-3 weeks of training you don't learn much about CRE, just how to ask people questions. Some managers tend to treat you like children.

Advice to Management

Measure performance on amount and accuracy of data entered, not number of phone calls.

CoStar Group2016-09-20

"Only if you have to"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You never have to take work home with you

Cons

Terrible pay. Long hours, unpaid lunch break, The goals / metrics are ridiculous and utterly unrealistic. The goalpost keeps shifting every few weeks. Nobody can ever catch up on the work. The methods being used (calling tons of people) are old fashioned, irritate the brokers, and are ineffective / inefficient. Just receive everything via email, and only call if there is an urgent need for clarification. Company likes to pretend it's a cool tech company, but it's really a very old fashioned company.

Advice to Management

Stop setting utterly unrealistic goals and harping on about metrics. It doesn't matter if information comes from an email or a call. It's ridiculous to count only calls as "work". Also pay people better.

CoStar Group2016-07-20

"IF YOU FAIL A TRAINING EXAM, YOU'RE FIRED."

Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

Great fringe benefits: food on site, gym perks

Cons

IN TRAINING TO BECOME A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, YOU HAVE TO PASS A WEEKLY ASSESSMENT/TEST!!!! IF YOU DO NOT PASS THE WEEKLY ASSESSMENT, you will be TERMINATED without warning! The onboarding/ recruitment team is not going to clearly communicate this before you start your job.

Advice to Management

It is wise to detail how stringent your training requirements are for new employees so that they can properly prepare, in the event they do not pass your test. People learn at different paces, and in different ways. Aptitude tests without the use of on the job training is useless and does not help determine success in the company.

CoStar Group2016-01-20

"Disorganized, Lack of Incentives, No Forward Progress"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good salary, good office location and gives you some connections within the real estate industry that are beneficial.

Cons

Where to begin... There is no forward progress within the company. You can only go so far but still have the some duties and tasks. Every day looks exactly the same: pick up the phone and call. The turnover rate is atrociously high because they can't keep people without burning them out. The interview process is so misleading and not many people can tolerate the constant daily metrics.

Advice to Management

Keep the drama between managers to a minimum, especially in front of your employees. Maintain a professional work environment while still motivating employees to do well. Cut back on the importance of calls and metrics.

CoStar Group2015-10-12

"Bye bye bye"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Location, snacks, it was a good place to get a job for a while to get out to dc out of college

Cons

If you want to feel like you're back in elementary school under constant surveillance this is the place for you. During training I got in trouble and verbally called out for going to the bathroom too close to the end of the day and was scolded for not waiting until I clocked out. This was only the beginning. Don't plan to stay long.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and get rid of your ridiculous metrics

CoStar Group2015-05-18

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate I in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free snacks in the break room. The hot chocolate is probably the best thing about this job. The research managers are awesome. They are very down to earth and understand the job sucks. Work life balance is great. You punch in and out every day. So once you punch out after 8 hours you leave and completely forget about the job until the next day when you punch back in.

Cons

Incredibly boring work. You are a glorified telemarketer. I honestly do not understand how some people have been researchers for 10 plus years. A lot of people complain about the metrics, but it really is not very hard to meet them if you're working. The day to day job gets very old very fast. The directors run around like chicken with their heads cut off. They throw random assignments out and constantly change what needs to be done. You end up doing the same project 5 times because they change what they want done every week. Pay is pretty bad for requiring a college degree. A lot of people leave because they can find entry level jobs paying a lot more.

Advice to Management

Before assigning project, make sure you know what you want done. Also if you're going to require a college degree pay the employees more.

CoStar Group2015-01-29
  9. "It's better than no job at all"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great entry-level job for young professionals just out of college who aren't sure what they want to do down the line but want a full-time work experience. Can gain great work experience and skills. Very young work environment with decent end-of-quarter bonus payouts. State-of-the-art office building with a great roof-top terrace. Good benefits (free food, public transportation stipend, very good medical/dental insurance plans) and even better work/life balance (plethora of after-work happy hours).

Cons

Work is extremely monotonous. Metric system used doesn't reflect the company's vision for "Building lasting relationships with clients"- a researcher's performance is solely measured on number of calls made and work production units added to database. General employee mentality: Will put up with working in research at CoStar until something better comes along. There's no motivation for personal growth while being in this position.

CoStar Group2014-07-28

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits. The company is growing and expanding. A dynamic industry. The product is information, and people always need information.

Cons

Work ok an RA in a level 1 portfolio is just making calls. I also dont see how the work I am doing really matters in the big picture. The company is metric oriented where the numbers are more important than the quality of the data.

Advice to Management

Change the metrics to a much more quality focused approach not just "get 10 2min calls per day."

CoStar Group2014-05-17