CoStar Group Research Associate II Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great opportunity to learn about commercial real estate (in 59 reviews)

• great benefits and good work culture (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 73 reviews)

• You will learn very (very) rudimentary basics of commercial real estate (in 18 reviews)

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Too much of an emphasis on unproductive metrics.

Jan 4, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your time with us and your feedback!

"Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good intro in commercial real estate

Cons

Metrics are difficult to hit

"Don't question CEO or you might get Fired"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Elkridge, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are supportive of each other under our current communal suffering.
    I think it's time the workforce unionize - though the hearsay of that will probably inflict even more threats over this demoralized workforce.

Cons

If you question the CEO or attempt to buck his edicts, you risk being fired. Take late 2016 fall/winter for examples:
    1) a high level manager who thought the new branding edicts and multiple hour "on-the-phone" calling requirements were not only unrealistic and unobtainable; did not enforce these new ceo demands on their underlings. So that person was fired.
    2) the entire training department in Richmond was fired; some of whom were employed as trainers for 10-15+ years. Then "all of a sudden" they were all inept and incompetent; and thus all fired. Really?!

Advice to Management

Board of Directors needs to wake up - stop the CEO and management on these insane fulfilment requirements being placed on the work force.

"Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Honestly, the coworkers I've made at CoStar are some of the best I've ever encountered! Such a young office vibe!! Most are in their 20s to early 30s.
    -True Story: Directors,Managers, Trainers are actually nice it's just that HQ in DC makes them do things even they don't want to do. Director of Bay Area Research is the nicest and sweetest person ever! If he were CEO no one would ever quit and researchers would be super happy!
    -Decent pay
    -Company pays for your parking in the garage
    -Sponsored Events: SD Padres, Del Mar Races etc.
    -Easy to fake a 2 hour lunch... Just say you "forgot" to clock-out or don't save your clock-out

Cons

LORD HAVE MERCY! Where do I even begin?
    -First of all, THE METRICS! Who in the world even placed them in charge?!obviously they have never had a portfolio. Constantly changing metrics so you can't keep up. (10) 2 minute calls...next time 45 minute total talk time... You know we're just going to super long messages and circle the phone options 100 times....
    -As a research you have to ANNOY the living daylights out of brokers, property managers, county assessor personnel by calling them 20000x a day.
    -HEADS UP HQ: 110% of us workers are cheating... DUH! As if it's not obvious enough. Leave us alone to do web updates. Brokers hate us calling.... That's why we circle the phone options for hella long and pretend to be talking even though no one is even on the other line ha ha just so we can meet the metrics!
    -All of the researchers learned how to game the system from our seniors and even managers because they know they're in hot water if their team doesn't make their numbers.
    -All the employees gather around the break room to discuss which one of us is quitting next. Once one of us gets hired elsewhere we know there's light at the end of the tunnel.... We mostly like our managers though, that's why we leave one-by-one to be considerate. Company has a high turnover, I can't even name one coworker that I know that wants to stay until retirement. Only the people who have worked there for super long now and have families to take care of are stuck. I feel bad because they're all so nice.

Advice to Management

San Diego location managers and directors are all super nice! It's not your fault! We all know it's HQ. Research Directors in SD should be made part of the decision-making team since they know first-hand what the website and company needs! Listen to them HQ!

Nov 29, 2016 – Social Media Manager

We’re genuinely surprised by the behavior you’re describing and know from the extensive data and quality assurance efforts we perform that what you’re describing is very rare. We’d appreciate... More

"Average Company"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to get into the real estate business. Also, you work with young people.

Cons

The learning curve stops quite quickly. They have ridiculous expectations/metrics in research. Constant auditing and criticism from management.

Advice to Management

Find a different way to incentivize employees besides using your inflated metrics. If you want to keep employees, then you need to find a better way to improve employee morale.

Jan 4, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review and your time with CoStar. We’re glad you were able to get started in commercial real estate with us! We regularly assess our metrics to determine if they’re accurately... More

"My Review"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Bowie, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for to get understanding in commercial real estate. The benefits are top notch!

Cons

Metrics can be a little counter productive to achieving the over all goal gather CRE data.

7. "Research Associate II"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fully stocked ridge
    -Great stepping stone into a career in CRE
    -Great Entry level job
    -Nice Rooftop
    -Nice in house Gym

Cons

-Burn out easily
    -Goals continuously changing
    - Very metrics driving and hard to stay on track with shifting goals
    - Directions fro upper management is not clear
    - How well you perform depend on your market your in and the managerial style.

Advice to Management

Number of calls does not make bring substance and quality to the product.

"Blahhhhhh"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Free salads and snacks
    -Nice rooftop
    -Nice building and location
    -Teaches the basics of CRE and prepares for an actual job in the industry
    -9-5 hours strictly enforced

Cons

-Ridiculous metrics that affect your small bonus
    -Poor pay
    -Intense office politics due to young and inexperienced management
    -A strong disconnect between the white, older, male upper management and the work force who is mostly young millennials
    -Job is boring and you do not need a college degree
    -Perceived as a training ground and mill by the industry

Advice to Management

Take into mind what your workers actually want and stop with needless changes that do not actually change the workplace.

"Great Company to Start a Career"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is definitely a lot of room for growth and promotion in our office. I worked hard, and just after my first year, I was promoted to Research Associate II. That promotion came with a nice salary increase. I work with a team and that is probably my favorite part of the job. Everyone wants to see the people around them succeed and we really work well together. We have quick group meetings in the morning with our manager and we go through our goals and talk about some of the things that we are trying to get accomplished. That really helps me structure my day.

Cons

You have to be able to adapt and multi-task because it is definitely a fast-paced environment. This job is not for everyone.

Mar 25, 2016 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for this review. We agree that working here is fast-paced! We will pass your comments on to the recruiters to make sure they let candidates know what is required to be successful... More

"Underwhelming"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

Pros

Free Food, Attractive coworkers, downtown office

Cons

No Starts was not an option so

Mismanagement
    below average pay
    no direction
    non communication
    managers talk about employees behind their backs
    emphasis put on research department and not enough tools given to succeed
    wants to believe it isn't a call center but you are cold calling people who don't want to be called all day long
    CEO constantly throws how much money the company is making in your face and then tells you that free granola bars are "work benefits"
    management treats employees like children because they hire people fresh out of college
    vastly underuse the talent they hire in (people with masters and law degrees keying in useless data information)

Advice to Management

You aren't special because you manage a team of people at a commercial real estate call center. You are just boring and lame. Advice: Go play in traffic