CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "CoStar is willing to grant so many people the opportunity to begin a new journey in the world of Commercial Real Estate" (in 71 reviews)

• "Work life balance is phenomenal, you work 40 hour weeks every week" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management does not pass along position concerns of RAs to upper management" (in 86 reviews)

• "Their product isn't needed in some states (like mine) where commercial real estate data is READILY available" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company with Strong Management"

Pros

Great benefits, management, resources, and work-life balance.

Cons

The company discourages remote work.

"From researcher to call center associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation are excellent
    Work life balance is great because you don't have to bring the work home with you (although you'll be miserable and want to drive off the road on your way in to avoid another day of calling the same people and asking the same questions )

Cons

very little opportunities to advance
    Management does not pass along position concerns of RAs to upper management
    Absolutely no transparency or explanation for company changes
    Position went from one of an actual research position to just a call center with little to no concern of data integrity and placed more emphasis on number of calls you could make in a day/branding statements you could fit into one conversation
    EXTREMELY monotonous work

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of Research. The data lacks integrity with the unrealistic metrics that have been put in place.

CoStar Group Response

Jan 15, 2019 – HRBP

I appreciate you taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback. Our goal has always been to provide opportunities for our employees to do work they can be proud of, that helps them grow personally... More

3. "Work Hard Play Hard"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Quality co-workers, lots of fun benefits, and well-compensated

Cons

Micro-managed by extreme metrics and unrealistic deadlines/expectations

"So far, so great!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a fairly new employee, so my perspective may be a little bit skewed, but so far everything has been wonderful at CoStar Group. I've worked at my fair share of organizations throughout the years and I can honestly say that this was the first place where I was pleasantly surprised by the recruiting and hiring process. They were appropriately responsive and forthcoming when I requested information, the interview process was not long and drawn out, and the onboarding process has been above-average.

Other highlights of the organization include:
    - Excellent benefits (not just health, but things like commuter benefits and fitness classes)
    - Competitive salaries
    - Generous amounts of food offered to employees at no cost
    - A robust community service and corporate social responsibility culture
    - Very nice LEED certified HQ building in Washington, D.C., located close to many Metro stops and bus lines
    - Warm and friendly atmosphere

Cons

I can't say that I've experienced many cons thus far, but there are a few things on my radar:
    - No corporate-wide options for telework. In this day and age, I think this is something all companies are going to need to embrace in order to be competitive in attracting and retaining top talent, especially with the Millennial and Gen Z workforce. Building flexibility and work-life balance into your culture is critically important.
    - A lot of silos in the organization from what I can tell. I'm hoping to see departments open to sharing information in an authentic and transparent way across all functional groups. This will only help improve employee engagement and organizational effectiveness down the road.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and people are thirsty for it. Don't be afraid to share your successes with the company. You never know how your stories/processes/information may benefit another function of the company and make people more successful or productive. Remain committed to your people -- nurturing and growing their talent -- and they will remain committed to CoStar Group.

5. "Great Company, Great People - Lots of Opportunities & Flexibility"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office environment, awesome city views, snacks and coffee, top-notch people, and the management genuinely cares about its employees.

Cons

Could be a little more progressive with the WFH program and dress code.

Advice to Management

I really like the path the company is going down. Keep it up!

6. "Good way to introduce yourself to Real Estate"

Former Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training - 4 weeks
    Work environment is very nice. Open concepts and grouped by team.
    Great perks such as healthy snacks, coffee and health benefits.

Cons

Your suggestions may not be heard. Senior leadership has very specific direction.

"It could be better"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Field Research Photographer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work by yourself and have full benefits.

Cons

This job will slowly suck the life out of your soul. Long hours driving and have absolutely no snow days in a city where the weather is terrible!

Advice to Management

Nothing much, it's corporate job so it's not like anything will change.

"Research Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wanted to take a moment to paint a real picture of what it's like to work at CoStar. As been overly stated (even in the negative reviews) the pay is competitive, I have several friends in the office who were able to purchases their first home after commencing their work here. The benefits are top tier, which has also been stated repeatedly, and the building, in my opinion is the best in term of aesthetics and views in regards to downtown Richmond. Work life balance is phenomenal, you work 40 hour weeks every week. I want the primary focus of this review to be centered more so around the company, I’ll get to the work aspect in a bit. CoStar wholeheartedly attempts to improve its culture and work environment. I was one of the employees who was hired just a couple of months after it had moved to Richmond. Essentially ever since then, there has been some form of renovations to enhance the ambience, and feel of the work space. Most notably the complete makeover of half of the top floor into a space where employees can go and refresh. They have also recently hired an executive chef who prepares salads among many other things on a daily basis, and mind you this is on top of the $125 we are given monthly to spend in the cafeteria. It is taxed as a form of compensation, which if you use all of it comes out to around $8 bucks a month. CoStar has also sincerely immersed itself within the Richmond community following its relocation. They partner with countless organizations in the city, where researchers are given the opportunity to volunteer for causes they care about. They also sponsor several major festivals and events that take place in Richmond year round. CoStar also donated $2.5 million dollars to VCU last year for the purpose of creating a real estate analytics program. The employee pool is extremely diverse, and is made up of people of a variety of backgrounds, cultures, political views and race. The contributions CoStar has made to the city of Richmond are indisputable. Now getting to the work component of the research role. Let me begin with the fact every researcher that’s hired goes through a four week training program. The program is comprised of two weeks of commercial real estate knowledge, and gaining familiarity with the database, as well as two weeks of conducting research via calling into a portfolio of brokers with listings. You’re exposed to all expectations including metrics. My main point is, you know exactly what you are signing up to do before you get to the floor. Next I want to address metrics. If you are an individual who sets high expectations for yourself and is interested in building a role into a career with a company that is an industry goliath, then metrics will not be an issue. If you’re looking for a job that will allow you to cruise by unchallenged, then metrics will definitely be an issue. I will add this, every researcher is given ample of opportunity to improve their metrics, if they are lacking. There are processes that every manager follows, including a performance improvement plan, which is initiated after consistent low performance, and allows the researcher 30 days to improve their performance, while receiving feedback and coaching from their manager consistently throughout. Moving on to upward mobility, the research roles are the foundation of a career at CoStar. If you can prove yourself in the research department, you are given the opportunity to apply to countless other roles, all across the country. Just this past May, 20+ research associates were promoted to managers, and are currently going through a six month training program involving weeks with professional leadership consultants, and exposure to all aspects of the company. Overall I’m tremendously happy with the decision I made of staying in Richmond, and working for CoStar.

Cons

In terms of cons. I’m someone who migrated to the States a long time ago, and was raised with the belief that you are not entitled to anything. Excellence was always expected, and I continue to expect that of myself. With that mindset I have been able to make the best out of this opportunity, and I firmly believe you are provided with more than enough to truly determine your destination within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with the community, and the city of Richmond. Happy hours are also great, having more events where the entire department can come together would be nice.

9. "territory Rep"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

great work environment and people to be around

Cons

too many salary changes. need to keep something the same

"Richmond Office Review"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CoStar is a great place to work, especially right out of college. It is an overall young company and offers so much room for growth. The pay and benefits are awesome and the overall work load is not piled on you. You can manage your days accordingly and take ownership of what you need to get done without managers breathing down your back. You pretty much leave everything at work when you are done as well which is amazing and creates a really nice work-life balance.

Cons

With the amount of callas you are making on a daily basis and the amount of talking I think we should receive a few additional personal days. At times it can feel like you are in high school again , ie.) punching the clock, taking tests when the system is down, etc. Small things, but we are all adults and I'd like to think the majority of us can manage our time on our own... and if not, maybe those individuals need to be somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I have had great managers throughout my time with CoStar and they all made me feel like they truly believed in me and my growth with the company.