CoStar Group Reviews

2.9
CoStar Group Chief Executive Officer Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management are willing to sacrifice the small guy for the big picture(in 98 reviews)

• "They hate to be the word "call-center," but that's all it is glorified(in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brilliant people, great place to work, amazing views at the offices and great support from management. Everyone is so nice in all departments, and yes, there is pressure on metrics, but at the end of the day, it helps grow you as a person, and realise what you are actually capable off, plus you are very well supported, my line manager (SG) does an amazing job of making time for you, when he himself is so short on time, he is willing to go the extra 20 miles to ensure that the whole team is well supported, personally do not know how he does it, but that's why he is the regional director, because he makes time for all. I can only see this company moving from strength to strength because of the team, the people in charge are visionaries and they are all the right people that are going to move this company forward.

Cons

As long as you work hard, there are no cons.

January 21, 2020Senior Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're chuffed to hear you're loving your time with us at CoStar Group! We strive to build a team of people you'll love to work with everyday, and we're glad your supervisor has been supportive in helping you reach your goals. Thanks for your contributions to the team -- we're glad you're here.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits, forwarding thinking leadership, strong expertise in Commercial Real Estate and opportunities to develop ones career and give back to the community

Cons

At times can be long hours, however, that speaks more to the opportunity to get involved in interesting projects that are driving innovation in our industry

May 15, 2020CoStar Group Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy to hear that you are enjoying all the great and rewarding things CoStar Group has to offer. Our leadership is always committed to providing the appropriate information, tools and resources needed to succeed and develop your career at CoStar Group. So, despite some long hours here and there, we're happy to hear about your participation on interesting projects and the development opportunities you have had. Keep up the great work.

3. "Dream job - LoopNet Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Costar group is a great place to start a career working in commercial real estate. There are a ton of internal opportunities to work your way up or explore different career paths. The company is well established, yet continues to grow leading to opportunities around the world. Regarding the inside sales role for LoopNet, it’s one of the most laid back sales jobs you can possibly have. The product literally sells itself, you don’t even need to work that hard to make good money. Once you work your way up to getting on the inbound line where clients call in “warm leads” to buy LoopNet, literally some of them just ask for the price and then sign up. I can’t think of too many other products where you have the opportunity to sit there and just have the deals coming in. Overall my experience has been great, the managers really care about us being successful and help make the environment fun from the office and also from working at home.

Cons

Communication between departments could be better for a more streamlined experience for the client, get things done quicker internally.

July 31, 2020CoStar Group Communications

We appreciate your positive review and are happy to hear you found your dream job! We agree, CoStar Group is a great place to start and grow your career. There is a wealth of opportunities to evolve your role and further your professional development across the company. We appreciate the hard work that goes into your role and we hope you will continue to grow with us for years to come.

4. "Good starter company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Benefits were good and it is a young professional environment

Cons

Boring and not much upward growth

5. "Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Costar with the Apartments.com division for 1 year now. I have had nothing but positive experiences from my counter part positions all the way up to SVP, President and CEO level. Costar pays it's sales employees better than ANY company I've ever discussed with. The benefits are amazing. Anyone looking into working at Costar be prepared for a positive company culture. Sales commissions are a huge plus in addition to your your competitive base pay. Overall a great company to work for & a great company to start a long term career with.

Cons

Not many cons. VP & SVP micromanage the business but for a good reason and not you specifically. Having a great Director/Boss can make all the difference. The culture is very strict & professional, Costar is not for everyone but the best of the best.

July 31, 2020CoStar Group Communications

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you have had a positive experience overall, especially as it relates to your colleagues and our leadership. Our goal is to build our team with high-achieving, smart and fun people you enjoy working with every day. Establishing a sense of camaraderie within our teams is very important to us. We thank you for the work you've done so far and hope you'll continue growing your career with us.

"Great Place to Make Money"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

The product is the best out and there and it sells itself. They give us free food. They give us leads. Management is always trying to improve. I cleared 6 figures at my first year at the company.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments

July 23, 2020CoStar Group Communications

We appreciate the time you took to leave a positive review. We, too, are proud of our products and the services we offer the commercial real estate industry. Thank you for your contributions to the company and we hope to have you around for years to come.

"Great place to start a career and make money"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The inside sales team is an entry level sales job. You will learn to develop real sale skills, and you are selling a top of the line marketing product to brokers and owners. The product really does sell itself making your job easier, and more enjoyable. The benefits are amazing: Dental, Vision, Medical, travel benefits (money on your metro card every month), and free food at the office. The environment is amazing and the management team is really supportive of your goals. I had ZERO sales experience coming in to this job, made six figures in my first year, have been promoted twice, and am getting ready to advance to field sales. This job is 100% what you put into it, is what you will get out of it.

Cons

Communication from departments is lacking due to the growth of the company. Some departments are understaffed causing some delays in the operation side.

July 23, 2020CoStar Group Communications

Thanks for the nice review. We are happy to hear you have had a positive experience working at CoStar Group so far. It's great to hear where your career began with us and how it's progressed. Cultivating engaged and hard-working talent is a top priority for the company and our leadership is always there to support you in your professional development. We're also proud to provide top-tier benefits to our employees, like the ones you mentioned. This allows us to remain competitive and retain top talent. We hope you continue growing your career with us. Thanks for being part of our team.

"Great Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience. Growth. Culture. CEO. Motivating

Cons

Inexperienced managers who managed in demotivating ways.

July 20, 2020CoStar Group Communications

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience working at CoStar Group overall. Our goal is to build a workforce full of high-achieving, smart and fun people that people enjoy working with every day. Establishing a sense of camaraderie within our teams is very important to us. We would like to learn more about your comment regarding management. If you're willing, please reach out to HRDepartment@costar.com and share any issues so we can better understand your experience and make improvements for current and future CoStar Group employees.

9. COVID-19

"DO NOT GET SUCKED FOR THE MONEY!!!"

2.0
    Current Employee - Tenant Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay good benefits coworkers Christmas party great view

Cons

They hate to be the word "call-center," but that's all it is glorified call-center. If you do not like outbound cold calling, please do not consider it. The metrics are unstable and never match the workload. The projects are never thought out thoroughly; thus, they are continually making changes. There is no real growth besides going to a different department with the same duties the only difference is audiences. Diversity and inclusion are only being addressed because of George Floyd, and the CEO has been missing in action but will send out an email of businesses he has acquired. The Vice-president believes she is doing everyone a favor by announcing she has an "African-American" on her executive team, thanks (about as equivalent as saying I have a black friend). Due to COVID-19, many businesses are closed or are operating with limited staff, which makes obtaining interview goals impossible, but they add more duties and drill making calls. Management is just as stressed out as their team, which creates uncertainty within the work environment. I am sure the HR team will reply with a fix, but it basically boils down to a monopolizing company that mirrors its leader. I advise any new employees, especially college grads work there for a year before making any significant purchases; there is nothing worst than being stuck at a job you're not happy at because of the excitement of the salary. If you do not have a degree, I feel bad for you! You can be a consistent top performer and have worked there for years and will not get promoted because they are degree driven versus tenure and experience, so they lose many valuable employees. We have a VP that is disconnected from reality that he is unrelatable to the voices of the employees; he rather ignores and makes jokes instead of being a leader that listens.

July 31, 2020CoStar Group Communications

We appreciate you leaving a review about your experience working at CoStar Group. We're proud to offer competitive salaries and top-tier benefits to our employees with the goal of remaining competitive in today’s business landscape and retaining engaged, hard-working and passionate talent. It sounds like you may not be enjoying your role as we hope all of our employees will when joining the company. Marketing research is not for everyone; however our metrics are carefully designed to help researchers excel while delivering accurate and timely information to our clients. We'd encourage you to speak with your manager about evolving your role and planning your path forward. As you’ll read in other responses on this site, we take our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion program very seriously. The groundwork for this program started well over a year ago. In fact, back in 2017 we made a substantial financial commitment of $1 million to Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT), an organization dedicated to equipping high-achieving women and men from underrepresented communities to realize their full potential and help transform their career and life trajectories through business leadership. This year, we've hosted internal events for Black History Month and Women's History Month before the pandemic began. This has ultimately culminated in us creating a fulltime Diversity, Equity & Inclusion position to further these kinds of activities and strengthen our company culture, as well as refocusing our recruiting efforts so we can be a more diverse and inclusive organization. Last month we announced the creation of the Black Excellence Network, with planned programming to include forum discussions about the experience of our black colleagues and their thoughts about the current social climate and ideas for positive progress. Internally, our CEO and CHRO have been passionate about the importance of the Black Lives Matter movement and both are committed to affecting real change. Additional monthly programming is being planned to help drive inclusion and foster a more open dialogue around diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace. Lastly, our leadership is committed to providing the necessary support needed for you to succeed in your role. If there are specific issues you can speak to regarding your management team, please email us at HRdepartment@costar.com so we can learn more. We would appreciate any further details you can provide so we can use this as an opportunity to improve your experience as part of our team and the experience of others joining our organization. Thank you.

"Good Pay for a Call Center"

2.0
    Former Employee - Territory Representative

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office, good benefits, friendly coworkers

Cons

Day to day experience is pretty miserable. Expect you to make 80 phone calls, often saying the exact same thing. They really don't care about the customer either. Would rather get you to make the sale, and then forget all about them.

July 23, 2020CoStar Group Communications

We appreciate you leaving a review, though we completely disagee with your comment about customer care. We are constantly thinking about how to best service our customers, and that careful thought is reflected in the product enhancements we regularly deliver, the acqusitions we make in order to strengthen our product offerings and the NPS scores we receive when following up on our customer service. We recognize that calling isn't a role for everyone. However, our metrics are carefully designed to help researchers excel and sales people thrive, while delivering accurate and timely information to our clients. We always encourage current employees to speak with their manager about evolving their role if the role isn't a great fit. We wish you all the best in your career journey.

Found 1195 reviews