CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew C. Florance

1. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group (More than a year)

Pros

They leave you alone to do you work

Cons

At same time micromanaged, You can work as hard as possible and not make what you hope

Advice to Management

Be more realistic.

Apr 20, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for leaving a review. If you'd like to leave more detailed comments you can always email us at hrdepartment@costar.com.

"Wouldn't Recommend"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool if you're coming right out of college, people have either been here more than 15 years or less than 5 it seems.

Cons

Constant change, what is expected changes quarter to quarter, metric driven, no real room for advancement

Advice to Management

Change in any company will happen. But there are constant changes with little notice. Stop making us complete these surveys just to completely disregard what we have to say.

"As everyone has already said... great benefits and pay, horrible environment"

Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are paid very, very well. The benefits are also top notch. The office has a great view. The individuals you work with really care about their job, for the most part. The research managers are great (this does not apply to upper management).

Cons

As everyone who has given a review has already said, the metrics are not based in reality. A researcher has to make a certain number of calls, starting first thing in the morning, while ignoring client requests, portfolio maintenance, and everything that the company claims to sell. Though you are allowed to clock out (so that your lack of time on the phone doesn't hurt your metrics) for larger projects, there is not enough time in the day to do the amount of work that upper management wants done.

Recent metric changes have impacted the quality of data coming out of the company to the point where I do not see how it's sustainable without customers catching on. Branding is flat across the board, so that researchers are branding with the same script to customers who have been with the company for years and building owners in the middle of nowhere who don't have an email address let alone a knowledge of CoStar.

On top of metrics researchers receive call evaluations which are entirely based on this branding. There is no relationship building in this job. It's just calls. Don't let them tell you it's "all about balance". It's all about calls (which most of the bigger clients hate anyways and you'll only talk to admins).

I have watched multiple, more senior, researchers leave the office in tears. The stress is so intense it's a good thing we have great health benefits.

Advice to Management

I don't know what I can say to management. I think everyone is afraid since people are getting fired left and right with little to no explanation to the plebeians on the research floor. I think they're scared, like all the researchers are. We (including the management) seem disposable.

If any upper management reads this, bring your researchers in on decision making. Every negative review you have here is a direct result of trickle down, pie-in-the-sky management. If you're spending this much on people, listen to them.

Feb 14, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. Our metrics are carefully tailored to help drive the quality of research forward, help researchers improve and drive value for our clients. The productivity in Research ... More

"Research Associate: The Lowest Rungs of Purgatory"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most researchers are talented and smart. Researchers unite in their misery. Even though there is no higher up that will listen to your suggestions, Researchers share common views on nearly everything. Its always interesting to hear higher ups talk about how research processes that are in place work when at the ground-level, no one believes this. I write this under pros because it is a good thing that there is at least unity in one aspect of the job.

Cons

You work a kind-of-job. You have no power, no real responsibility. To start this review off, let’s dive into how you are essentially a disrespected secretary’s secretary. Real Estate Companies hire secretaries to deal with you. You deal with admins and if you complain that you can’t reach actual brokers, it gets the hose again. You are asked to speak with as many brokers as possible, and are told you are not doing your job if they do not want to speak with you. You are told that it is your job to communicate to brokers why they need to speak with you. However, most clients have been dealing with us for years. They know exactly why they have our services. Imagine buying a toaster and being called repeatedly by the salesman once a week who claims, “Why do you only make toast! Make bagels, too!”

Welcome to a glorified call center! It does not matter what industry this is – you are dealing with individual data points and have absolutely no association with a larger picture of real estate markets. You will learn very (very) rudimentary basics of commercial real estate – and that is where the resume builders end.

As we secretary’s secretaries were explained to after a company wide survey (the results of which made it vividly clear that 1. No Research Associate believes there is any career growth and 2. Senior Management is awful), “You learning new skills (SQL, Excel, Economics/Finance of RE) is not a business need.” Although this may be true, people should not be treated as cattle. As with many businesses, concessions are made to employees to foster happiness. And I’m not talking about money – I’m referring to helping people develop careers. Further, is it not a smart business decision to maximize the knowledge of your employees?

Back to the business need comment. Because all you do is phone jockey and data entry there is no need to learn anything valuable. As an RA, you will not learn anything about your market. (Some teams maybe have a weekly 30 minute meeting about last weeks news in the market.) Research Associates are prevented from learning any new skills or learning about anything in their market. Good work management.

Every tweak to the research process introduces a new mind-numbing task, or new metric that bludgeons researchers into thinking that metrics are all that matter. It is ridiculous that managers, directors, VPs, claim that you need to ‘see beyond the numbers’ when every evaluation, pay raise, promotions are contingent on metrics.

Literally, your job is data entry, following scripts, and smiling – and I can’t emphasize this last point enough. Leadership is synonymous with the perception of an uppity-up personality. Include smiles, flamboyant language in your e-mails, drink kool-aid, and tell everyone you had the most relaxing weekend (but it was too short, though!!), and you are on track to your next promotion. You can taste the repressed emotions on your tongue; the attuned psychologist would have a field day here.

Let’s dive into the culture of anti-intellectualism, shall we? Any criticisms of the research process are greeted with some pre-packaged platitude. For instance, if you state that an over-emphasis on one metric is side-lineining work on a different metric, a common rebuttal is, “Just try a little harder.” Or perhaps, “Start working right away; the early bird gets the worm!” You will NEVER see actual statistics with SOUND methodology that relate the best research practices. Perhaps because what you do here is not research. At least in the military you understand that there is some kind of purpose behind what you do.

I love the tag-line of CoStar’s website: “Knowledge Market.” You have to be kidding me, A-Flo (knobby-kneed CEO of CoStar with unbelievable Napoleon complex). I’ll give you a perfect example to illustrate my concerns with this tag-line: About two years ago CoStar released a new analytical product that gave insights into CRE micro-markets. Research Managers were responsible for initial edits of this content. They were only the initial editors for little over a few months. Why?  The Research Managers had no idea what was actually happening in their markets (DC, NY, Baltimore) and could offer no valuable feedback. The products were awful and apparently A-Flo was naïve enough to think that Research Managers are more than glorified cheerleaders. The Research Manager’s day consists of sending out e-mails such as “Steve has 15 calls already! Who can catch him?!” I am not joking. That is actually the childish motivating tactic used by most managers at the DC Center.

The CoStar responses on Glassdoor have been a real treat. “CoStar is fast-paced!” or “We’re constantly changing to make things better!” No. CoStar Research is an impetuous and childish institution. It is at best a half-realized supplement to any CRE professional’s day-to-day.
    If you loath creativity, are motivated by childish motivation tactics, and are okay with being a pawn – CoStar Research is the cubicle for you!

Apply Today!

Advice to Management

After a department-wide survey that articulated very targeted, very serious concerns, I don’t expect any meaningful change from this condemned department. (Yeah Chapin, got no faith in ya bud). Apparently CoStar hires smart researchers, but these smart people are incapable of having realistic expectations for career growth or things they can learn. (Actual post-survey explanations). You’re shooting yourself in the foot. “So many opportunities!” “CoStar’s #1!!”

After having a daily existential crisis for a long, long time, there are two valuable things that I have learned: 1. The words opportunity, success, win, and other corporate-speak pablum are pieces of flapping detritus. 2. Your job is a large part of your overall happiness – the sooner you leave something as devoid of meaning as a Research Associate, the better.

Apply Today!

"horrible place to work"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Nice office location, apparently the benefits are good, but I wouldn't be able to tell that's just what I've heard. Healthy snacks are available for employees.

Cons

Horrible work environment. Performance is calculated by completely unrealistic standards whimsically developed by aggressive and fanatical executive oversight with fear based implementation. Advancement opportunities are bleak/non-existent and favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your researchers, work to communicate reasonable performance standards to executive decision makers. Bring back and increase bonuses, money motivates, unnecessary pressure and stress does not. Work is work, but is doesn't need to be toxic.

"Research Associate I"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, honest and friendly management, professional environment, comfortable workspace, great learning opportunities

Cons

In some positions the growth is good and sometimes can be rapid, but in some it is very slow even when you've mastered your job, it takes a long time to promote.

Advice to Management

I wish the company wasn't so strict about timeframes for promotions. I hate that I would have to wait a year for promotion within my department. Time frames between promotion eligibility should be reconsidered.

Thanks for your review!

"Research Associste"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

9-5 then you go home no questions asked
    If you are working in DC they pay for your metro fee

Cons

Feels like you are in college again
    A lot of micro managing
    No real skills are developed in this role besides calling
    This role works like an inside sales role, all you do is call. Don't fool yourself in thinking that you are going to be an expert, your friends will have real jobs at other companies while you are just here working like a call robot

Advice to Management

Change the role of the RA's and teach them how to analysts

"Fast Pace Growing Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Decent Salary. Room for advancement especially if you have a degree. Employees are nice and the working environment is fun at times.

Cons

Very Conservative, heavy micro managing, heavy spreadsheet reporting, they need new CRM software to enhance productivity and please implement a telecommuting option for all staff.

Advice to Management

Implement a mentoring program for existing staff who are interested in advancing their career. Implement annual performance review and or survey of department managers by the staff they manage.

Apr 20, 2017 – CoStar Team

We appreciate your review and we'll take your comments forward.

"The Best Decision I Made"

Current Employee - Research in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Yes, I second a lot of the previous reviews, the benefits, pay and amenities are a big perk. More importantly, CoStar is a company that never settles. They strive to be the best in everything they do and will turn on a dime to change and make an impact where it is needed. In most cases, the research position is your start with CoStar. If you do your job well and professionally you will have ample opportunity to move up or into other positions inside the company (managers, analyst, CRMs, recruiters, sales, training, etc). A lot of the management consists of tenured CoStar employees and industry experts. The company is also generous with money when it comes to its performing employees. For employees that are underperforming in their roll, there is always a pathway to help them out.
    The culture is another big plus. Overall I enjoy working in a self motivating culture with a lot of hard working individuals around me!

Cons

CoStar is a 30 year old company, that at times will work like a start up. Expect to work hard but with great reward. You will always have your plate full and that is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, your days go by quicker this way. It is much better than starring at a clock.

Advice to Management

More recognition on the small successes

Mar 20, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review, we appreciate your feedback!

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, great place to meet people if you are new to D.C.

Cons

The work is not rewarding at all, its a call center no matter what they say. Past the initial phase of learning how CoStar operates and how you collect data you wont learn anything else about commercial real estate. Upper management has consistently failed to deliver on promises of additional learning opportunities. They promised classes and tutorials in SQL, excel, financial analysis in commercial real estate and not a single one was realized. The work is very basic. If you absolutely need a place to work while you get situated in D.C. then CoStar is the place for you. If you do find yourself employed here, I would not recommend working here for more than one quarter, there are much better entry level opportunities D.C.

Advice to Management

I understand that management has to put on a brave face and go along with the notion that this is not a call center designed to extract massive amounts of data from unsuspecting CRE market participants, but being honest about what CoStar does will allow you to hire people who want to be there. If I had to estimate, I would say that more than half of your researchers feel like they have been lied to as far as the job description is concerned.