CoStar Group Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 61 reviews)

• High turnover- not many people stuck around for more than a year (in 29 reviews)

"Research Associate/Research Department"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits are great. Some of the best around, especially for those entering the workforce straight out of college.
    -Some fairly awesome people you work with. Very diverse and hardworking, for the most part.
    -The pay is great for a job that requires little to no critical thinking.
    -Free yogurt, juice, etc....it gets old after a while but it is nice they supply it.

Cons

-CoStar places metrics over management. Most of their research managers are made up of plateaued 40-something-year-olds who are about as useful as a nun in a brothel. Most of the metrics they use are about as relevant as Dane Cook is to comedy now.
    -The lack of transparency is mind-blowing. The CEO casually makes the entire training department either take a severance or find another job (this was a couple of weeks ago)-- and it's never referenced by upper mgmt. Instead, we hear it from the gossiping hens of the mgmt team, and not the Director or VP. Speaking of the CEO, everyone seems to worship the ground 4'10" Andy Florence walks on and that can be annoying.
    -Things are constantly changing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing most of the time, but at CoStar ..that change is rarely uplifting. The best change happened when our salaries absorbed our bonuses (which at best, were biased and had no real footing in reality.)
    -If you start at Research and get promoted to Senior Research Associate (that is two promotions from where you start), then CONGRATS! You get to do the same thing that Joe Blow will do right after he is hired but just for 20,000 more dollars than him. CoStar is ineffective at using their leaders and they lose a lot of great people to turnover due to their lack of true career progression. All the good ones either leave the company or transfer out of the cesspool that is Research into another department. You can work hard for three years and get promoted twice but will be relegated to doing the same common tasks you did when you were first hired.
    -Stupidity abounds and I find myself asking "why?" most of the time.

Advice to Management

-Fire most of your Research Managers and start over again. Stop using metrics that don't add anything and just let your people work and have actual managers start tracking and managing to improve performance.
    - Call Audits aren't positive. Have your managers actually manage and listen to phone calls as they happen (side-by-sides) so they can immediately remedy any problems on the spot.
    -If you are going to metrics, which I am sure you will continue to do, ground them in reality

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your continued work and feedback. We’re glad you’re making use of your benefits. We are listening, through managers, employee surveys and at hrdepartment@costar.com. Research is at the ... More

"As everyone has already said... great benefits and pay, horrible environment"

Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are paid very, very well. The benefits are also top notch. The office has a great view. The individuals you work with really care about their job, for the most part. The research managers are great (this does not apply to upper management).

Cons

As everyone who has given a review has already said, the metrics are not based in reality. A researcher has to make a certain number of calls, starting first thing in the morning, while ignoring client requests, portfolio maintenance, and everything that the company claims to sell. Though you are allowed to clock out (so that your lack of time on the phone doesn't hurt your metrics) for larger projects, there is not enough time in the day to do the amount of work that upper management wants done.

Recent metric changes have impacted the quality of data coming out of the company to the point where I do not see how it's sustainable without customers catching on. Branding is flat across the board, so that researchers are branding with the same script to customers who have been with the company for years and building owners in the middle of nowhere who don't have an email address let alone a knowledge of CoStar.

On top of metrics researchers receive call evaluations which are entirely based on this branding. There is no relationship building in this job. It's just calls. Don't let them tell you it's "all about balance". It's all about calls (which most of the bigger clients hate anyways and you'll only talk to admins).

I have watched multiple, more senior, researchers leave the office in tears. The stress is so intense it's a good thing we have great health benefits.

Advice to Management

I don't know what I can say to management. I think everyone is afraid since people are getting fired left and right with little to no explanation to the plebeians on the research floor. I think they're scared, like all the researchers are. We (including the management) seem disposable.

If any upper management reads this, bring your researchers in on decision making. Every negative review you have here is a direct result of trickle down, pie-in-the-sky management. If you're spending this much on people, listen to them.

Feb 14, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. Our metrics are carefully tailored to help drive the quality of research forward, help researchers improve and drive value for our clients. The productivity in Research ... More

"Community Caller"

Former Employee - Community Caller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Community Caller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are able to gain new skills and learn about real estate, earning potential is great, great location near the MARTA, company parties and events for holidays, ability to grow within the company

Cons

Micro-management, professionalism is overlooked for metrics, break times are minimal to none, the change is so constant that you can't keep up, higher ups don't respect the callers, the managers are rarely on the same page, the work is very repetitive, and you're always being compared to others.

Advice to Management

I would say try and balance metrics and professionalism. You all lose a lot of good talent because of metrics. Allow people to build rapport with leasing agents and companies in order to reduce the rate of identified calls and blocked numbers. Rushing these people on the phone for information is driving them away and putting a damper on their culture. Either find a better way or find people that aren't bothered by constantly getting threatened by the same people every day. You can possibly lessen your requirements for the position because us college graduates won't stick around for long.

"Great people, Great Products"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CoStar's products are the cream of the crop, fantastic people within the company, and great performance based incentives

Cons

Leadership in DC can sometimes seem short-sighted, too many things measured by meaningless metrics

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the products, your people, and the clients.

"Great place to start"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well
    yearly raises
    Potential for growth

Cons

brainless work
    upper management does not listen to researchers
    company reacts to daily stock price changes rather than plan for dips and dives

"Good pay and benefits terrible environment"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Free salad, yogurt, hummus.
    Good Pay
    Good insurance

Cons

Huge disconnect from execs and lower level employees
    heavily metrics based tasks that aren't on metrics are never considered

Advice to Management

listen to researchers

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving feedback and for the work you do driving value for us. We’re glad you’re making use of the exceptional benefits we offer. We’re actively listening through surveys, Glassdoor and ... More

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Benefits
    High Pay
    Stability
    Free Food
    Free Life Insurance

Cons

I can't think of any negative thing about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

Feb 15, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review. We do think there is always room for improvement so if you have feedback please feel free to offer it at hrdepartment@costar.com

"Training"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training with this company is the BEST I've seen thus far. It starts with Chako Morgan, she is by far helpful, friendly and holds you accountable. She sets you up for success but you have to want to learn. CoStar Group only hires the best since they are industry leader across the board and training is long and intense but definitely appreciated. You will be held accountable if you aren't ready because you are representing a brand, however, you are given the tools, guidance and counseling to be the best.

Cons

The only con if any, I would like to maybe do a few more demonstrations in front of the entire class. I know people get nervous about presenting in front of people, including myself but it sets you up for success long term.

Advice to Management

Keep It Up!!!

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for the review and your hard work! We're glad you're taking advantage of our training program.

"Field Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive - Field
    Current Employee - Sales Executive - Field

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Outstanding compensation if you meet your goals, good support from management, good internal lead support, great training and ramp up commission period

Cons

Corporate micro managing, metrics, competition from your own peers can be tough. Frequent changes internally to sales focus and goals

Feb 15, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review and feedback. We'll take it forward.

"Place for Growth and Learning"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Availability to work with an incredibly diverse and intelligent group of people
    Although their is hierarchy, there is no issue whatsoever about approaching senior management with a question
    they form solutions
    benefits are lovely, the outfit of the offices is also as lovely
    It's a very smart company as far as who they hire, you're in an environment where there is always someone smarter than you in the room. That's a good room to be in.

Cons

Sometimes, you are over worked
    Pay is solid but competition will provide better salaries
    Not a con for me, but you will be working in a very opinionated atmosphere, provides momentum for thought, but not everyone is cut out for it

Advice to Management

take two hours a week to see how integral the people who report to you are. A little praise can move mountains. Make sure to be aware of the global changes and never blindside someone with company related info or changes. We too have lives outside of CoStar, and we would like to plan accordingly.

Feb 13, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for leaving a review; we appreciate your feedback and your time with us.