CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent training and platform for young graduates to get relevant experience in the Commercial Real Estate industry" (in 69 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be very flexible if you consistently hit or exceed quota" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Direct supervisors vary on their methods but most are NOT handsoff since upper management is also on their case if their" (in 84 reviews)

• "I applied thinking this was not a call center job" (in 57 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Former Tenant Researcher"

Current Employee - Tenant Research in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Tenant Research in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Richmond office is at a beautiful location with great views. Upon arriving to CoStar over a year ago i expressed interest in sales. Corey Durant and other managers were able to put me on a plan that would lead to the sales team. If you show that you are willing to work hard, there is nothing they will not do to help with your career. Andy Florance knows how to find talent, which is evident throughout the company. Chef is also great!

Cons

For some people, constant change.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people!

"A refreshing work experience"

Current Employee - Research Manager, Tenant Research in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Manager, Tenant Research in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facility: Parking (free if you meet certain criteria), Cafeteria ($150 monthly credit), Food Truck Thursdays, Gym (also free if you meet certain criteria), free snacks (healthy), on-site cook, coffee machines on every floor, recently renovated work-spaces, spectacular view of Brown's island/downtown Richmond, yearly season passes to Friday Cheers.
    Training: Very thorough. Managers and co-workers will assist you to get you all the materials you need to succeed. Abundant feedback to work through problem areas.
    Work Environment: Rapidly growing and fast-paced. Constantly changing/evolving to adapt to the needs of the business and stay current with the commercial real estate industry. Heavily metric based.
    Culture: Diverse. Teams are small so managers have a lot more one-on-one time with their employees.
    Rewards/Incentives: Monthly monetary and non-monetary rewards and recognition are given to top performers. Managers also do daily/weekly/monthly incentives to help drive team performance.

Cons

Work Environment: The fast paced environment is not always easy for everyone to adapt to. Some employees do struggle with constant change. Have to manage your time extremely efficiently to hit your daily goals.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication levels high and continue showing passion for you what you do! It helps us understand the big picture and shows us what the company truly wants to accomplish.

3. "Excellent Place to Start or Revive Your Career"

Current Employee - Tenant Researcher I in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Tenant Researcher I in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CoStar is a great place to start your career out of college, as well as revive a stalled career. When I started a year and a half ago, I thought the Tenant Research position would be a transitional job, one to hold me over until I found something more in my field. In that time, I've grown to enjoy my job most of the time. If you rely on your managers, they will help you develop your skills and understand the importance of the work and research being conducted. Being a call center environment, one needs to understand the importance of the metrics and being held accountable for the work being done. Clients count on us for complete and accurate information. For that, we are paid well and given benefits that exceed most expectations. We are also given a monthly lunch allotment, free snacks, incentives, and access to a company chef.

Cons

Expectations and assignments can change quickly. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it could take time to adapt to the changes. Again, understanding the why of the reason these things happen will make the job a whole lot easier.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. A co-worker recently mentioned they wish we had more opportunities to CoStar swag.

4. "Apartments.com Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive - Apartments.com
    Current Employee - Account Executive - Apartments.com

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, pay, benefits, flexibility, sales support and pay

Cons

They keep you busy and set aggressive goals, but they are manageable with the regional directors guiding you.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas your regional directors have.

CoStar Group Response

Sep 24, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you fpr taking the time to leave feedback!

5. "account executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional but still laid back. Good growth within the company.

Cons

Pay could be more for the work put in

CoStar Group Response

Sep 24, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback!

"Research Managers Literally Do Nothing"

Former Employee - Researcher in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will answer questions when you need something

Cons

The research managers literally sit and do nothing but audit your calls and talk about their upcoming weddings. They sit and plan their weddings and talk to other mangers but as soon as the researcher starts talking they will yell at you.

Advice to Management

Keep your wedding planning to your free time outside of work.

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good pay for the Richmond area.
    Got to work alongside awesome colleagues.
    Free snacks with a Chef on the 9th floor.
    Great working facility.
    Best holiday part in the city.
    Overall not a bad experience, especially if you're a recent grad.

Cons

Goals are often time exaggerated due to people cheating the metrics system (leaving long voicemails that count as interviews)
    Sometimes associates are more knowledgeable than the managers (seems like managers were randomly selected with no set criteria.)
    If you are lucky enough to be a manager's favorite then they will look out for you once new opportunities arise. If not, then you are out of luck.
    Brokers hate hearing branding statements when you speak to them every month, sometimes multiple times a month but you will be dinged in an auditor score if you don't hit them with a generic branding statement.

Advice to Management

When people are cheating the system and are not reprimanded it brings down the team morale. Some cheat the system and are rewarded. Employees that value integrity struggle with this.

8. "Glassdoor Review"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company, wish office didnt close down.

Cons

No cons, only been there for a year.

"Research"

Former Employee - Research
    Former Employee - Research

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid pay at a very respectable real estate company. The company continues to grow and grow. Can't see the company going down (stock continues to rise) until maybe 3 years when people realize how expensive this site is and they gain a legitimate competitor.

Cons

Learn very minimal, your work means literally nothing, culture of the company is horrendous. Honestly, the only purpose to work in this company is to gain a year of office experience right out of college. Then I highly recommend leaving. The type of job you do and get stuck at but deserve to work at much better. Like I said the company is growing but the only departments I recommend are a Market analyst/ sales and notttttt loop net sales unless you want to do cold calling for 200+ calls a day.

Advice to Management

Management is afraid to say anything to higher ups. Your opinion means nothing to them.

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great building, good location, good transportation subsidy, free food, good co-workers.

Cons

Typically micro-managed and held to a universal metric system which doesn't apply the same to everyone based on market location.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees some leeway to figure their own best way to complete daily tasks. At the end of the day it is all about the clients anyway. If they are happy, CoStar should be happy (and will be, more revenue).