CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Direct supervisors vary on their methods but most are NOT handsoff since upper management is also on their case if their" (in 85 reviews)

• "Their product isn't needed in some states (like mine) where commercial real estate data is READILY available" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Research Manager"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn the foundations of CRE. The teammates of CoStar Richmond are worth knowing. Working around a diversified group of people is awesome. CoStar’s purpose is worth working for. Management’s willingness to be open for creative ideas is wonderful to be a part of. Our CEO is very hands on. Andy gives more to his employees than any CEO I have worked for. We have a wonderful work/life balance!

Cons

Manual application and processes can make it time consuming. Creating a plan but shifting strategies on a daily basis can be overwhelming to the workforce and disrupt performance. In time, great leaders will make the right decision and everything will be transparent enough for the workforce to see.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to change by embracing other possibilities that can balance performance and market driven initiatives. Our end goal should be more realistic. Overall, management has it figured out. Great place to work for when keeping the purpose of CoStar in mind.

"Working at CoStar"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ive been working for CoStar for about 8 months now, and I so blessed to a part of this company. CoStar is willing to grant so many people the opportunity to begin a new journey in the world of Commercial Real Estate. Having zero experience in this industry is perfectly fine. The trainers here have been some of the best teachers I've ever had, and they do such a great job breaking down the basic fundamentals of commercial real estate. I honestly don't think of this as a job, but an opportunity. An opportunity to absorb as much knowledge as I can, to benefit me in the future in this industry. The people in the Richmond office are so friendly and I've established amazing relationships with SO many people. If your having difficulty with what kind of career you want to pursue, give CoStar a strong consideration. You will not find another company that is willing to give these kind of opportunities.

Cons

The cons to this job is that it is a competitive environment. The research positions are metric driven but the goals are very obtainable if you can prove that you work hard. ITS THAT SIMPLE. WORK HARD. Express your work ethic and the knowledge in the industry and how to work with CoStar's software with follow.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to understand the value of each employee. Its important to find balance with people who prove themselves more effective from a qualitative standpoint VS. quantitative.

Oct 18, 2018 – Research Director, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm glad that the training has set you up for success and prepared you to take advantage of all of the opportunities available here.
    We truly... More

3. "software developer"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good perks and lots to learn

Cons

not really much I can think of

4. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and great benefits .

Cons

none at the current moment.

"The Good, Bad and Ugly"

Former Employee - Regional Director
    Former Employee - Regional Director

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Compensation - at times
    Market Leader
    Consultative selling environment

Cons

Culture - A very dynamic company lead by key individuals that haven't the industry or product knowledge to lead. Accordingly leadership institutes metrics that are in many cases unattainable. Additionally, there is no sense of career, there is genuinely a sense of survival.

Top down, demanding leadership - leadership does not solicit nor recognize the input from field level staff, moreover leadership views staff as replaceable at any time.

Extremely high turnover especially with tenured staff. In recent years CS has seen the departure of numerous skilled and quality people from executive management to field sales. People with 5 - 10 - 15 years and more of time with the company. Nothing changes, people leave and are replaced with lessor or no experienced people not only from outside the company but outside the industry!

Advice to Management

For what its worth..... stop the turnover. Solicit input from the field. Set REALISTIC goals and metrics. Promote from within. should the day come that a true competitor, not the likes of Xceligent, appear CS would, by market demands, have to address these issues. Until such event occurs, nothing will change - ever!

Nov 2, 2018 – EVP Sales

Thank you for your feedback.
    Very pleased that you recognize the excellent compensation we offer for top performers, the outstanding benefits our employees receive, our market leadership position... More

6. "My time as Field Research Photographer"

Current Employee - Field Research Photographer
    Current Employee - Field Research Photographer

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

I’ve worked for Costar almost 2 years now. Before accepting the position I asked a friend how she liked the job. She really seemed to like it. She said you work 5hours in the car, then 3 hours at home editing everyday. Sounded fine and I took the job. I went to training in Richmond VA and Washington DC for about a week was trained exactly as explained, around 5 hours driving in search of for sale/ rent commercial properties and 3 hours of editing and uploading at home. The owner Andrew Florance comes and talks with the trainees for a full day. His presence and speech is captivating, making you think you’re in for the best job of your life. That’s what it was for the first year, an awesome job. Things have changed drastically. In the past 3 months I’ve gone through 3 different managers and literally no one I started with, including 2 of my previous managers, 80% of my original team nor friends still work for costar. Now you’re expected to work the entire 8hr day from your car. Also being micromanaged and tracked every step of the day. It would take me far to long to list all the cons of this job. The other recent negative reviews do some justice, but honestly be prepared to hate this job after a few short months.

Cons

Don’t have the energy to find another job.

Advice to Management

Andrew Florance is smart and prob gonna be a big deal one day, you just don’t care about your employees.

"Not for everyone"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great pay (when goals are met)
    Great company trips
    Stock options

Cons

Cut throat sales
    Not a good company culture
    Employees are just a number or $ to corporate

"A great straight out of school gig"

Current Employee - Tenant Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Tenant Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay- the pay is incredibly competitive, hard to find this kind of pay with no experience.
    Free lunch- they give you a lunch card but you have to pay the taxes on it
    No take home- this is a strictly 8-5 or if you get the garbage shift, 11-8, you don't take any work home with you.
    9 company paid holidays, happy hour every month, and PTO as well as sick time
    Thats about it for the pros

Cons

The work is repetitive and boring, upper management just care about hitting numbers, which is essentially improbable to do, last month not a single team hit the numbers on point. The actual work we do is seemingly pointless, we just harass tenants all day begging them for leasing info, expect to get yelled at and hung up on a lot.
    THIS IS A CALL CENTER- you have a headset and are probably making calls about 80 percent of the time.
    They focus so heavily on meeting your metrics, but they don't give you time for all the extra work they give you.
    You have to pay 135$ a month just to park in the parking deck.
    If you get stuck with the 11-8 shift, you don't get paid more, and you miss out on activities such as friday cheers.
    doesn't seem to be much upward movement unless you're staying in the research department

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, quit thinking just because you make 6 figures and up that you guys know everything. Upper management doesn't really know anything; I doubt they could last a full day doing what we do and hit the numbers. Even middle management can't compete; they don't have any chance of hitting numbers.

9. "Research tenant"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

The training sucks training needs to be more clear

Nov 7, 2018 – Research Director, Talent Acquisition & Development

Your opinion of the training that you received is concerning. I am very interested in getting more detail regarding your experience with the training program so that we can properly address your... More

"CoStar Research"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers, good pay for the job you are performing

Cons

Management continually changes responsibilities with no reasoning

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers

Showing 999 of 1,013 reviews