CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2019

Found 1125 reviews

CoStar Group CEO Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance
Pros
  • "Great company, great benefits a lot of growth(in 94 reviews)

• "Exciting, challenging and rewarding role with a company that supports the dynamic world of commercial real estate(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management does not pass along position concerns of RAs to upper management(in 92 reviews)

• "They glossed away from the full truth about the position being a call center(in 63 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I couldn't imagine a better first job. I cannot speak highly enough about my experience."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a first job out of uni, this has been an ideal placement for me, especially within my section of the company. The industry and scale of the CoStar group is seriously impressive and their status in the property industry is highly regarded. My team is amazing with a great balance of characters whom I now call my friends, and the hierarchy through management shows progression but is not overbearing and the bosses... are all very natural for a corporate. The offices in The Shard are amazing and that alone is a massive benefit to working here, the centrality of the building and the view means that life in the area is exciting. I actually cannot speak highly enough about my work here, and I have been here long enough that the novelty would have worn off - but it hasn't.

Cons

The corporate nature sometimes shows its bad side as far as politics and scale, although this has not affected me at all and it depends on how you react to it. While there are a decent number of events held, there could also be more teambuilding and ways of meeting everyone in the company that would help to increase the "humanness" of the environment above what it already is.

Advice to Management

The one thing that corporates seem to lose is the respect for human nature - do everything to not have this happen to CoStar - the Work/Life balance of employees is critical to happiness more than anything and I want everyone here to have the same great experience that I do. You can never organise too many social events, and I urge you to focus a lot of energy towards these.

CoStar Group2019-08-23

September 3, 2019Director

Thanks for leaving us a review. We're excited that you're enjoying your time as part of the team at CoStar Group! We agree that the human element is an important part of the work atmosphere, and we'll share your feedback about incorporating more opportunities for team building. Thanks ...

2. "Goog"

Current Employee - Tenant Research Associate

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great in office experience, great salary

Cons

The work can get repetitive

CoStar Group2019-07-12

July 22, 2019Director of External Communications

We're glad to know you enjoy your day-to-day office experience and the benefits. Research is central to CoStar Group's mission, and we value the contributions of every researcher. Thanks for your time with us!

"Reality"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Make your own schedule around pretty attainable metrics. No commission caps. Paychecks clear every time. Supportive management.

Cons

Career advancement should't be your goal as most managers make much less than reps hitting quota. One rate card for the entire nation - effectively reps in a major metro have an easier time selling the product vs. reps in rural areas.

Advice to Management

Look at each market and set expectations that can be truly achieved by a good sales rep. Major markets can easily hit the revenue goals in place. Smaller markets need some price breaks and also quota adjustments. Look at the actual penetration numbers vs. a roll up of every condo, affordable, military community in the database. You might see a different view and keep a few more good sales folks.

CoStar Group2019-09-05

"Good Job out of College"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation and health benefits.

Cons

The office environment/culture is not ideal .

CoStar Group2019-09-05

"Micromanage"

Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are in a good territory you can make a lot of money!

Cons

Management micromanaged everything and even has “survey” calls to apartments after you visit to get rated which affects your commission.

Advice to Management

Focus on sales team

CoStar Group2019-09-04
  6. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Class A Office building, benefits

Cons

Highly metric based rote work, no creativity

CoStar Group2019-09-18

"It is what it is"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience to add to your resume right out of college, free food, free activities, and good people.

Cons

It's a glorified call center. Your hard work goes unnoticed. It's one of those "born, raised and never leaving rva" kind of places. Everyone knows everyone. They stress you out over cold calling strangers. Essentially, you feel worthless, annoying to clients, and are a number to management. You are nothing, but a number in a game of getting better statistics than the person next to you. If that's you're thing and... you need a job that pays good money, go for it. If you want a job with meaning, I'd look elsewhere. You leave work at work, which is nice, but the stress you take home with you takes a mental toll, thus barely a work life balance.

Advice to Management

You can power through this until your stock is paid out and your 401k is matched. Just know that there is an amazing life outside of that people prison.

CoStar Group2019-09-09
  8. "Good to get into corporate America but dont plan to stay."

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Snacks and benefits are good. If you are interested in a career in commercial real estate, this is a good place to start for resume recognition but dont get comfortable.

Cons

Costar has eliminated the competition in many areas so this has caused Senior leadership to have inflated egos and forget about those who work for them. The changes made to Research have not only caused quality to decrease, it has also led to a micro-management culture. Instead of being the leader in real Estate information, now they are focusing on marketing, which allows them to justify the decrease in quality... information. The company just laid off 270 workers in Atlanta and DC. One group in Atlanta wasn't even given notice. They were asked to leave right after they were told. Previous layoffs have been in Chicago in 2016, Norcross, GA in 2015, San Deigo in 2017 and Columbia, MD in 2018. The company will say it's for operational efficiency, however the easiest way to reach the $3 billion dollar profit goal is to reduce the workforce. Please note, if Costar aquires a company, chances are the majority of the employees will be laid off within the following year. Senior leadership doesn't even get along. One of the heads in the Richmond office was overheard telling another manager how she was going to take everything away from another VP and his direct reports. The company also does not fairly pay their employees. Several internal hires are paid extremely less than those in similar positions. The company justifies this by saying 9% increases are standard practice. However this causes $10-20K differences in pay. There is no diversity in Senior leadership and the company does not value it. When racial slurs were left on a conference room whiteboard, the company added 32 cameras to one of two floors in the building. This floor just happened to be predominantly African American and the group given no notice before being let go. No training was done and the person was never found. There are only 2 Directors of color and only 2 females. The CEO has been going to various researchers and paying them for leaving positive reviews on Glassdoor so please take that into consideration if you read them.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing so much on hitting $3 billion to line your pockets, take time to invest in your employees and their success. Make them feel valued, pay them fairly, diversify your leadership team and kind and considerate. Stop playing favorites and treat everyone equally. Coach and develop your teams. It costs you 6X more to find, hire and on-board externally.

CoStar Group2019-09-16

"I Had Fun"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the work and my coworkers. The office was pretty which made coming to work a joy. There's an awesome kitchen/lounge with breakfast and salad lunches, for free. It may seem like all the pros are cosmetic, but let me tell you it matters, a lot. Awesome roof-top deck with umbrella seating for lunch and a shaded area with couches for relaxing and mid-afternoon naps.

Cons

None that I can think of.

CoStar Group2019-08-19

August 27, 2019Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences while working with us; we appreciate and value your service with our team. We wish you the best of luck moving forward.

10. "Great Place to Develop and Grow"

Former Employee - Market Research Associate II in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience with management was very positive. The managers I had were interested in what I wanted to do and where I wanted to take my career in the company. They also were very good about providing any support necessary to make sure that we were on the same page about metrics/performance. The work/life balance for this role is excellent. You are not able to take anything home so you can log out at the end of the... day and not worry about work until the next morning.

Cons

Expect 180 degree changes. While change is not always a bad thing it got to be rather exhausting after working there for over two years. The changes were not always communicated very effectively or we would only be told certain things and other pieces of information would be "pending" or coming down the pipeline. This was a little unsettling when the information we were waiting on had to do with something like... product questions which left us uninformed or performance metrics when we weren't sure how to meet new expectations.

CoStar Group2019-08-21