CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • great entry into CRE (commercial real estate) or a springboard to another profession (in 54 reviews)

• Very competitive pay, good benefits, nice office, seems to be a lot of mobility (in 60 reviews)

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very competitive pay, good benefits, nice office, seems to be a lot of mobility. Most people are fairly friendly and competent. The work isn't actually bad in and of itself, and the days go by quickly.

Cons

I'll agree with many other reviewers that metrics issue has hit a serious head. The ports are cyclical - some days are going to generate less calls than others, especially in higher level portfolios with fewer contacts. The idea of a static daily target rather than a monthly average is creating issues. An enormous amount of work is being put into spreadsheets and excel documents that revolve around how to generate make-work to meeting aggressively unrealistic call and update goals.

We are actively being told to look for excuses to call contacts -people we've literally spoke to days ago - in order to generate measurable metrics for the sake of reaching target goals. This is an unsustainable model that severely damages the value of CoStar's brand and its relationships to our clients. Jamming branding down people's throats and "calling them till they finally answer" (the common wisdom of the floor) isn't a good way to insure that we keep getting good data from these people.

We routinely ignore "do not call requests" for the sake of trying to reconfirm data that we shouldn't have entered in the first place. If a brokerage tells us over and over again that they don't want to work with us, the correct answer is to pull their listings and let them twist in the wind - why are we wasting the effort to try to work with them when we have so many great contacts willing to go the extra mile to provide us with good data?

I cannot emphasize how often I am told to put aside putting in new listings and data, which is the whole goal of this enterprise, because it'll take time and I need to keep calling. Let that sink in. We sell data. That's our thing. Why is data less valuable to researchers (and management for that matter) than calls?

Get over the idea that admins can't provide good data - tons of brokerages I work with have hypercompetent support staff and in-house researchers we should be building relationships with. Why am I calling a reluctant broker while he's on a showing in the field when I could call the in house-research staff who has immediate access to all the information I need?

If the overwhelming reaction of your client base is "You call too much" the correct response isn't to laugh it off and keep charging blindly ahead. Why is a twenty minute call with a client, where you help them learn how to use the product and build a relationship, judged the EXACT same way as a call to a contact you know will hang up but needs to be reached for the sake of hitting a metric?

I enjoy the work I do, and I'm proud of the results I've gotten with some of my better clients. But CoStar needs to take a step back and decide if it wants to continue down this bizarre path of metrics over results.

Advice to Management

It's clear that these decisions are coming from much higher up on the food chain than I am. I've worked corporate long enough to know that it'll take a major client leaving or a total disaster of some kind to shift the balance back in favor of a less call-obsessed approach. I'm hopeful that we don't keep driving down this road, because it's bad for morale and for our mission. I'm not asking for a pay raise, long breaks, or the freedom to do whatever I want on my shift - a job is a job, and it's not necessarily always fun. But just let us DO our jobs, instead of focusing so much on HOW we do it. A lot of us aren't lazy, feckless parasites who'll circle phone directories and leaving hour long voice messages to hit targets as soon as they're lowered to reasonable levels. We just want to work with our clients and build good relationships to ensure a good data flow.

To the HR person who reads and responds to this, I hope that you're able to take some measure of what I've said and give it to someone who matters. You have a tough job too, and I can't imagine it's fun to read so much negativity all the time. I hope that my attempt at an objective, reasoned assessment is more useful to you than howling at the moon and cursing CoStar's name.

Jun 12, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for leaving a review. It sounds like you’re a conscientious and focused research team member; know that we value your work. Every review here is read by a senior member of the HR team, so ... More

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CoStar offers a great benefits package. The job is really a 9-5, you don't take any work home with you. Great opportunity to learn about commercial real estate.

Cons

The metrics are unreachable. Seriously, mathematically it is impossible to hit the call goal they want. Upper Management seems to not care about the managers on the floor, it shows. There really isn't any explanation to why they have they unreachable goals, direct managers can't seem to offer an explanation. This job is the definition of working for "the man."

Advice to Management

They job requires a college degree. Stop treating employees like they have only a GED. Allow more opportunities for employees to grow.

Jun 12, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. We’re glad you’re enjoy the benefits package. Our metrics are carefully developed to help researchers continue to perform with excellence and create value for our clients.

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are second to none. You have all the technology to succeed.

Cons

It is a churn and burn mentality. They like to push their employees to the edge with high metrics. If a couple fall off, the attitude is that they can be easily replaced.

Jun 12, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for five years with us, we appreciate the value you’ve created. We’re focused on attracting and retaining the best workforce and our exceptional benefits and sales-enablement speak to that.

"As everyone has already said... great benefits and pay, horrible environment"

Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research A in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are paid very, very well. The benefits are also top notch. The office has a great view. The individuals you work with really care about their job, for the most part. The research managers are great (this does not apply to upper management).

Cons

As everyone who has given a review has already said, the metrics are not based in reality. A researcher has to make a certain number of calls, starting first thing in the morning, while ignoring client requests, portfolio maintenance, and everything that the company claims to sell. Though you are allowed to clock out (so that your lack of time on the phone doesn't hurt your metrics) for larger projects, there is not enough time in the day to do the amount of work that upper management wants done.

Recent metric changes have impacted the quality of data coming out of the company to the point where I do not see how it's sustainable without customers catching on. Branding is flat across the board, so that researchers are branding with the same script to customers who have been with the company for years and building owners in the middle of nowhere who don't have an email address let alone a knowledge of CoStar.

On top of metrics researchers receive call evaluations which are entirely based on this branding. There is no relationship building in this job. It's just calls. Don't let them tell you it's "all about balance". It's all about calls (which most of the bigger clients hate anyways and you'll only talk to admins).

I have watched multiple, more senior, researchers leave the office in tears. The stress is so intense it's a good thing we have great health benefits.

Advice to Management

I don't know what I can say to management. I think everyone is afraid since people are getting fired left and right with little to no explanation to the plebeians on the research floor. I think they're scared, like all the researchers are. We (including the management) seem disposable.

If any upper management reads this, bring your researchers in on decision making. Every negative review you have here is a direct result of trickle down, pie-in-the-sky management. If you're spending this much on people, listen to them.

Feb 14, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. Our metrics are carefully tailored to help drive the quality of research forward, help researchers improve and drive value for our clients. The productivity in Research ... More

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group (More than a year)

Pros

They leave you alone to do you work

Cons

At same time micromanaged, You can work as hard as possible and not make what you hope

Advice to Management

Be more realistic.

Apr 20, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for leaving a review. If you'd like to leave more detailed comments you can always email us at hrdepartment@costar.com.

"Fast Pace Growing Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Decent Salary. Room for advancement especially if you have a degree. Employees are nice and the working environment is fun at times.

Cons

Very Conservative, heavy micro managing, heavy spreadsheet reporting, they need new CRM software to enhance productivity and please implement a telecommuting option for all staff.

Advice to Management

Implement a mentoring program for existing staff who are interested in advancing their career. Implement annual performance review and or survey of department managers by the staff they manage.

Apr 20, 2017 – CoStar Team

We appreciate your review and we'll take your comments forward.

"Community Caller"

Former Employee - Community Caller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Community Caller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are able to gain new skills and learn about real estate, earning potential is great, great location near the MARTA, company parties and events for holidays, ability to grow within the company

Cons

Micro-management, professionalism is overlooked for metrics, break times are minimal to none, the change is so constant that you can't keep up, higher ups don't respect the callers, the managers are rarely on the same page, the work is very repetitive, and you're always being compared to others.

Advice to Management

I would say try and balance metrics and professionalism. You all lose a lot of good talent because of metrics. Allow people to build rapport with leasing agents and companies in order to reduce the rate of identified calls and blocked numbers. Rushing these people on the phone for information is driving them away and putting a damper on their culture. Either find a better way or find people that aren't bothered by constantly getting threatened by the same people every day. You can possibly lessen your requirements for the position because us college graduates won't stick around for long.

Mar 8, 2017 – CoStar Team

We appreciate your review! Thanks for your time with us and for your work. We’ve created a metrics system that helps researchers break new ground on their skills and to continuously improve while ... More

"Work there for 2 years (3 years max) and move on"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

- great entry into CRE (commercial real estate) or a springboard to another profession
    - great benefits, 401k, free snacks et.al
    -can literally clock out after 8hours of work (never work weekends, overtime is compensated)
    -once you prove yourself, can develop leadership skills with MindGym and be a team lead (great for the resume...remember the goal is to maximize your skill set and move on to a less-soul crushing job)
    -can learn how a publicly traded company only cares about inflating their stock price by cheap tricks to temporarily increase data quality

Cons

-won't really learn about CRE (have to actively learn about your market on your own, work day is spent trying to hit metrics)
    -metrics/expectations are unrealistic, and would change several times within a quarter (one quarter metrics were changed after the quarter ended, how does that work?)
    -upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher. uniformed expectations even though portfolios are drastically different (why should I brand the same way for a 20+ year client as you would to someone who has never heard of costar?)

Advice to Management

no point because they don't want feedback, just looking for cogs in the machine.

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your time at CoStar and your hard work. Research is central to CoStar’s mission and we deeply value the contributions of every researcher. We provide several weeks of training to every ... More

"What went wrong"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits (401k,vision,health,dental,legal)
    - Great work relationships among researchers and some managers
    - Entry level exposure to commercial real estate market from researcher's prospective

Cons

- Lack of management skill set for most of the current managers.
    - Task management and prioritization skills from managers is lacking which carries over to researchers. Every task that comes to the employees desk is a priority.
    - Did not feel as if most managers were concerned about the future development of employees but rather if they can met or even better exceed unrealistic expectations
    - I feel that the managers were not so great at asserting strengths and weaknesses of individuals on team
    - Work performance measuring metrics are constantly changing and the weight to each measuring metric is in a constant shift. Also, work performance reviews are not fair.
    - Most of the managers adopt a micro management style

Advice to Management

- Help develop individuals to grow instead of entirely set focus on daily repetitive tasks
    - Help develop managers to improve management skill set to better manage/coach/train team
    - Develop clear and concise realistic goals that employees can achieve to help promote employee confidence rather than setting goals that only few employees can achieve.
    - The goal of the company is to promote relationships and great customer service with clients but I feel like fostering the relationships within the company and nurturing employees has been lost and is more important.

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review and for your time with us. We’re glad you enjoyed our camaraderie and exceptional benefits. Research at CoStar is fast-paced and at the heart of what we do, we deeply value the ... More

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

Pros

Seemed to be a good deal of growth opportunity for people willing to put in the effort.

Cons

"research" felt like telemarketing, complete with phone call monitoring and daily call numbers that kept going up

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the research associate position more substantive