CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • great entry into CRE (commercial real estate) or a springboard to another profession (in 54 reviews)

• Very competitive pay, good benefits, nice office, seems to be a lot of mobility (in 60 reviews)

Cons

1. "Account Manager in Austin - Great Role!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent room for growth, talented associates, great support from upward management, industry leaders!

Cons

There are alot of changes to keep up with.

2. "Decent place to work but not empowering"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managers here are technical and hands on.

Good about staying updated with the latest .Net platform and related technology.

New acquisitions can keep brand new development work flowing depending on what team you're on.

Good work-life balance

Cons

C-level involvement in minute product design can be a little over the top at times. Feeling of empowerment can fall very low during some projects as ideas tend for flow in one direction from DC.

Advice to Management

Delegate more and empower product owners to take more risks and innovate more with designers and developers.

"Brutal Company culture"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Benefits and timely expense reimbursements

Cons

Very demanding and zero work life balance

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and not robots

"great place to learn"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is generous to a fault. All training and equipment are top of the line. Take advantage of every opportunity and improve your skills and contacts. Good opportunity to learn corporate culture.

Cons

Hard to describe unless you have worked there. Weird dynamic; you just never feel secure there and yet it doesn't seem to matter. Stay for a few years and move on. Lots of CoStar alums out there!

Advice to Management

Treat the researchers with more respect; do not demean them. be grown-ups

"Young people beware... No one retires at CoStar"

Former Employee - Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay well. Good benefits!

Cons

There is always a contest or a reason to just wait a little longer before moving to your next career. They will get rid of you the first time you don't fit their mold. Young people beware! Before you know it CoStar will eat up years of your life and you will have no where else to go. Your phone will ring until 11:55pm on the last day of the month and you will be expected to answer. Don't think of traveling where you cannot be reached. I called in for conference calls from Europe, Bahamas, and Japan. Once you reach a certain point in your career you are not allowed to miss these calls... FOR ANY REASON! Missing these calls/meetings means losing your job!

Advice to Management

Take a breath! When is enough, enough? Let your employees enjoy their evenings, holidays and vacations!

"Not worth the money (and that's saying something)"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits, lovely building, large paycheck, monthly lunch stipend

Cons

They act like they really care about their employees, but you are clearly only worth whatever your metrics are. As many have said below me, the metrics are extremely unrealistic, especially the higher you go in portfolio. This was something we discussed over lunch literally every day I was working there, so I know I wasn't the only one who felt this way. They try to claim not to focus on the metrics, if you just do your job, the call numbers will happen naturally. Not at all true. There were days where I made 80-90 phone calls, and still only had 9 "quality" (minute and a half long) conversations. I had plenty of clients who vastly preferred to communicate via email, and would give me all the information I needed, and yet they still didn't count towards my update frequency unless I also gave them an unnecessary phone call just to check, which usually pissed them off. They also change so many of their methods so quickly, it's hard to keep up. I understand that a company is constantly growing, but when you are taught something in your training, and the next training class (one week later) is taught the complete opposite, you're going to have a problem.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like more than just metric numbers. Seriously reconsider the way your metrics work. Eventually you're going to start losing major clients over these issues. I already had some clients while working there tell me that they would no longer be communicating with CoStar because they were switching to xceligent.

""Get your year in, then get out""

Former Employee - Sales Transaction Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Transaction Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a good first opportunity out of school.

Cons

Too many changes in metrics. Not enough meaningful work.

"Worst experience of my professional life."

Former Employee - Field Research Photographer
    Former Employee - Field Research Photographer

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. I may give some entry level workers a foot in the door, but they don't seem to promote from within much so don't count on moving up.

Cons

I was never treated like a professional (or even a coworker) by my manager. The department was around 50/50 male female ratio, and yet only 1 in 20 or so managers was a women. Top tier management makes decisions that do not work in practice and all middle and lower managers can say is "it's out of my hands". I was discouraged from offering ideas about increasing productivity. Everyone feels like they can get fired at any moment for little or no reason (warranted: they fire lots of people daily), but it makes people unwilling to make decisions. Managers will tell you to do one thing on the phone, and then write the opposite in an email to cover their butt by having something it writing. HR will not email you back for the same reason, don't want anything in writing. They whole company leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Advice to Management

Navigating through the sea of managers is a nightmare. There needs to be advocates for employers that actually can make decisions and solve problems. Employees need a place to take their ideas to improve the company and the workplace because lower managers aren't interested and just trying to keep their jobs, and there is not way to talk to the managers above them without ruffling feathers.
    I constantly heard the terms "loss of privileges" or "one bad egg spoils the..." from management as if our team was being punished which seemed unbelievably unprofessional.

"Killing the Brand"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, Intelligent direct coworkers, view, snacks.

Cons

Unobtainable, unrealistic metrics. The May 5th reviewer really summarized the situation the best. I get that there should be measurement. However, your math does not add up....with portfolios containing 225 - 250 brokers you can only average around 12 - 13 calls a day. That is if ALL your brokers would speak to you and most know you have a set few that want no contact whatsoever ("don't call me again...I have an admin who handles this"). The focus is so call heavy that emails that include property additions, updates, listing changes are told to be pushed aside until that call metric is met. So, you try until the end of the day and end up pushing that work to the next day. IF this company prides itself on the data, why not shift the focus to obtaining and entering that data no matter where it comes from? Yes...a broker will know main details but so will his admin, so will a property manager or marketing person in the office, so will a tenant, etc. I get brochures that have all the tenant info in them but damned if I would ever have the time to enter it! And that is what we are supposed to be selling! The brokers get SO incredibly annoyed at the constant calls and the branding. Recently someone must have complained because we were told to only call once a month. Ouch. We still have metrics. So you have to call other's field leads, tap into the port of the guy who went home early and pretty much poach calls wherever you can find them. "Game of Phones" pretty much. It is a churn and burn mentality...no question. And that is completely unfair to the quality of people they have hired. I've already watched 3 reps leave due to stress related illnesses. That is just who was immediately around me. It may be 9 to 5 but believe me, it always comes home with you.

Advice to Management

You have a workforce other companies would kill for. Stop micromanaging the numbers. Look at the ports and adjust accordingly. Level 1s always hit their numbers due to so many one offs. Level 3s don't stand a chance....but they sure do plug in the information on the transactions that you value so much. You will see that reflected on the board...lots of listings and deals posted but low call average. This workforce you have is ready to drink the Kool Aid and do whatever you say . But show them you are listening and I guarantee you the branding you seek will come very naturally in the enthusiasm they will project about Costar. It's all about the data....that is what you sell don't forget. Let us collect it by all of the means we can so we can truly contribute to the brands value. And most of all...give us the time to enter it without hurting our call averages.

"Soul of CoStar"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Notice how no review, aside from fabricated five star reviews, discuss any aspect of the actual day-to-day under Pros. I'll leave it at that.

Cons

Let me offer a snapshot into the soul of the Research Department. While this example may appear dated, nothing has changed. If anything, the culture within this Department has worsened.

Years ago, after New Jersey was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, Our Team, despite severe objections by team members, was forced to call our market. Every day, a Researcher is expected to make an insurmountable pile of calls, and according to the Research Department, this day was like any other. Families were without homes, businesses were crippled, the state was in shock — but we were told we had to burden them with our daily metrics. Do not for one second think that our scripts were abridged to incorporate any human feeling. Our goal was to ask the same questions, harass the same people. Here is how I remember the typical script from that day:

RA: “Good afternoon Mr. Smith, this is XYZ from CoStar Group, how is everything?”

VICTIM: “I can’t talk my home is underwater and my business is a mile off the Jersey shore.”

RA: “Well, do you have any other listings on the market?”

VICTIM: “You’re kidding…”

RA: “No, I’m not kidding, sir, I take my job seriously. We’re the #1 provider of commercial real estate. Have you heard of our subsidiary LoopNet?”

VICTIM: “You do understand that our community is in a State of Emergency?”

RA: “I just want to provide maximum exposure to your listings.”

You get the picture. Scripts and bureaucracy are more important than actual human feeling. I know that sounds like a cliche, but I have worked for many other organizations and CoStar takes this notion to new definitions of the word. Hannah Arendt had a term for this. She called it the ‘Banality of Evil’. It means that in going along with what you are told, as Managers, Directors and above do, they create an atmosphere of immorality, and are capable of tacitly carrying out horrible acts. While this alludes to unspeakable atrocities over 70 years ago, the underlying psychology persists in vile, seemingly benign corporate gutters like CoStar Group’s Research Department.

Advice to Management

Every day after work you go home to your family. How do you look your significant other in the eye, or teach your kids morality and to pursue there dreams? You work for CoStar Group's Phone Bank. You manage, and are complicit in making, a miserable, utterly miserable group of human beings.