CoStar Group Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 64 reviews)

• Disorganized management very high turnover (in 31 reviews)

"Full Time Employee 3 Years"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

work/life balance
    compensation
    holiday party

Cons

little training and development for researchers
    very metric based and the metrics and constantly changing

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review and for your feedback. Members of our research team receive continuous training and development in addition to several weeks of introductory training before beginning ... More

"This is a Call Center!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits are good. This is an entry level position only requires Bachelor Degree. You will probably like your coworkers and direct supervisors.

Cons

Unfortunately none of the above will matter.

The job itself is quite simple. Talk to people and do research to ensure product is accurate. However the metrics which is the main focus of your job will not allow you to ensure the product is correct. You will instead spend your day trying to get people to stay on the phone with you long enough to meet the ridiculous call goals. Instead of spending the time to research your market to make sure everything in the product is correct. People will complain about you calling monthly they will politely ask you to call less often or go to their website, they will hang up on you, they will curse you out, but it does not matter you will call them again next month.

If you do not meet the metrics you will be fired. Every one there is scared that they will not have a job the next week due to not meeting the metrics which change monthly.

There is no room for advancement. You will be so stressed out from work your life outside of work will suffer. Senior management is aware, they send out "anonymous" surveys but nothing changes. Your direct supervisor has no control neither do the managers over them. It all comes down from the top. Where their idea of fixing it, is sending out catch phrases to help "brand" the company better. In most cases these taglines are a misrepresentation (lie).

Advice to Management

There will always be a need for goals. The scorecard including data value added, update percentage and broker contact are the best measurements for this job. These ensure that the product you are selling stays up to date and accurate. The call goals just stress out employees and annoy clients and potential customers. It is 2017 the phone is not the best way to reach people anymore. No amount of rebranding and catch line statements you send out can fix this.

"We think they want to close Maryland office"

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, fun young people to work with (at least they used to be until of late, everyone's miserable). Good comradery. Free parking!

Cons

The CEO hates the fact the you cannot record phone calls in Maryland. He has said this on a number of occasions. Management staff can listen-in and over-hear calls --> which they do all time; but recording of - is illegal in Maryland.
    Part of what we think Andy is doing with the recent changes is to enrage staff and force people to quit and reduce the overall staff; then eventually close Maryland office and move it somewhere else where calls can be recorded.
    We suspect, since Andy has taken out 4 floors in Richmond office; that various departments will be moved there.

Advice to Management

Share the vision or plan the CEO has with staff! We work hard and deserve to be treated fairly and with respect. We're all adults here; we can understand whatever the CEO is doing and wants to do or plans to do - and if we do or don't like it - we can make a better educated decision about our future. Don't treated us like burner phones!

"Great idea, bad execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Their product is great. It really captures most of the market, and the tools are fantastic.

- TONS of people in the industry use CoStar, and having the experience with it gets you in a lot of doors
    - Your coworkers are amazing. Lots of young, motivated, pleasant people who make the job worthwhile. For a bit.

- Free food, drinks, gym, etc. I think they know it's a terrible place to work, so they compensate?

- Benefits and salary are insane. The amount they are paying for the work you do is astronomical.

- Work/life balance is good. Hourly work, so you only work 8 hours. Sometimes allow overtime, which is some nice extra money.

Cons

- The entire organization is a ship without a captain. If there is a captain, they are running it right into an iceberg. There doesn't seem to be one unified company culture, and blaming that on acquisitions is passing the buck. Every office creates its own environment, and how things are done in one location is not how they are done elsewhere. This creates spotty data, and lowers their product.

- Senior leadership is opaque at best, deceitful at worst. The leaders preach that there will be time to learn and grow in your role, but after only a month, new hires are expected to compete with employees who have been in the role for years. Further, they make decisions without sharing this knowledge, creating rumors which ultimately hurts their organizational culture. Everyone knows that no one trusts senior leadership, so rather than fixing that and increasing transparency, the organization opened a new office and paid the employees 20% more than those in DC. This does not foster trust. You cannot buy engagement. You cannot buy trust.

- There is NO focus on career development at all. The heads of the organization don't care, because the role is easy and they can burn and turn people. But, when a senior member of the team is doing the same job as a brand new person with a different title, that's a problem. Training is focused only on new hire, once you leave you get no more guidance.

- The management team wants to do well, but is not given the tools to do so. When SMEs are promoted to the role of manager, there has to be some training there. Just because you know how to balance your time and pay attention to detail does not mean you know how to inspire others to do the same.

- The metrics are silly. I have no problem with a metrics-based environment, and I was a top performer when I was a researcher at CoStar. However, the numbers NOW are insane, and do not reflect reality. With the way the job is structured, it is impossible for anybody to achieve the number of 1 minute calls they want. The system they use is so outdated it takes 6 weeks to teach it, the employees have to open up the website for a company CoStar owns, log in almost each time, and then fruitlessly search for a property. How it doesn't happen automatically is beyond me.

- all the above boils down to this: CoStar has never had a real competitor before. They have floated by on being the only, the biggest, and the first. Now, they have a real competitor and they have no idea how to handle it.

Advice to Management

- Pull an Apple and fire Andy Florance. He is a genius with business development and innovation, but he is one of the worst leaders i have ever seen.

- Restructure the lower-value portfolios, maybe ship them off to call-centers where you can pay temps significantly less money to ask very basic questions. Paying people what they are paid for portfolios that make $300 a month is a huge loss.

- Make low level phone calls more basic. Asking for complex data on a shack is silly. This went in the right direction in 2013, but has stepped backwards.

-Stop changing the game every week. Have a meeting, pick a direction, and do it.

"research associate"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

good pay and good benefits

Cons

very corporate. cubicle. boring. not. fun. at. all.

7. "Research Associate"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

It's a great place to start a career!!!

Cons

The metrics for success are always changing.

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. If you want to offer it, we’d appreciate more detailed feedback at hrdepartment@costar.com.

"Young and Dumb"

Current Employee - Tenant Surveyor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Tenant Surveyor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good but you will soon realize that it will not be enough to keep you motivated here very long. Free lunch, coffee, and onsite gym are a plus but it's all part of the system to reel you in. You will learn to cold call and deal with rejections on a daily basis.

Cons

Company is almost 30 years old yet it feels like it just opened its doors yesterday. The processes and ever changing metrics that are used make you feel like upper management has no idea what they are doing. The research managers act like they have been here for years yet they were hired the same time as everyone else. None of them started at the bottom like the rest of us and had to cold call hundreds of tenants a day to confirm information. Congratulations, you had limited managerial experience and that bumped you up the pay grade of everyone else.

The type of work you do here is extremely repetitive and tedious. Everyday is the exact same thing. Call hundreds of business and confirm information. Not to mention you are phishing for data that most people are not willing to give out. You also have to pay to park in the garage and there is no other option other than parking several blocks away to avoid the cost. For a part time employee half your paycheck is going to just parking your vehicle.

There is limited upward mobility and while you can eventually move up, if you have no managerial experience you are never moving out of the research department. No one becomes a manager starting in research and if you do it's because you got lucky.

There are certainly better roles here and if you have managerial experience you can by pass all the hard work and watch others do it all day while you sit on your throne.

Advice to Management

You were hired the same time as everyone else was. Come down from your high horse and do not treat everyone below you as peasants. I have a hard time respecting someone who has been here a number of weeks and knows as little as everyone else yet pretends to be a big shot.

Instead of hiring management from outside the company who have little experience, consider hiring from within. People who earned their stripes as opposed to just starting out in management.

Also, instead of wasting an hour sitting in a meeting listening to everyones phone calls why don't you just review them on an individual basis. Rather than embarrassing people in front of their coworkers, listen in privately and correct any mistakes during calls one-on-one. It feels childish and ineffeicient to sit everyone in a room and waste time listening to calls and making judgements.

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

We know calling can be challenging but often there is simply no other way to obtain the information that our clients need. Know that you’re influencing million-dollar decisions every day through your ... More

9. "Research"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and if you work hard able to move up in the company

Cons

metrics driven environment with lack of transparency and direction

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate your work and are glad you’re making use of your benefits.

"CoStar: Your Trusted Source for Fake Reviews"

Pros

1. The fake reviews are easy to spot, since they are always 4 stars (5 would just be too unbelievable I guess); they never, ever mention employee morale, which is bizarre if you read the rest of the reviews on here; and the read as if they were written by a brainwashed robot, a bad PR agency or a cult member...six of one, half dozen of the other.

Don't think they're fake? Keep reading...people know people who were recuited to post 'em.

2. Office space is nicer than your average cult of personality.

3. Speaking of Office Space, you will often feel like an extra in that fine, fine film.

4. Free snacks! The Kool Aid is delicious.

5. The metrics are great for calculating when you'll get fired or go nuts.

6. The real reviews are hilarious! I've counted at least 2 comparing the job to being a galley slave chained to an oar, and several mentioning prison. Good times.

Cons

1. Any company that allows the number of reviews citing the same problems to go on and on for years, and the high turnover associated with them, without changing its fundamental business practices is run by idiots.

2. Any company, especially one focused on accurate data, which trots out fake reviews as a solution to this problem instead is a giant hypocrite. And also run by idiots (see #1)

3. You will feel like you're under surveillance all the time. Seriously, part of me suspects CoStar is tracking these keystrokes right now.

4. There is a completely pointless culture of formality. I'm pretty sure people have been fired for not wearing a tie while enjoying the free Kool Aid and posting their fake reviews.

5. Everyone says the products are good, and I agree they are impressive. But they would be twice as good if you stopped burning out employees and sending them running to your competitors.

Advice to Management

If you read this and laughed or nodded or looked over your shoulder nervously, do something about it. Otherwise you're one of the idiots. It's OK, you're not alone. I'm one too.

Mar 8, 2017 – CoStar Team

We’ll be clear, we do not under any circumstance encourage employees to leave false reviews on Glassdoor. If someone is doing so, it’s not in line with CoStar’s values. If you know it’s occurring ... More

11. "Great job"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Pay and perks are good

Cons

Exceeds traditional hours of work