CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great opportunity to learn about commercial real estate (in 59 reviews)

• great benefits and good work culture (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't seem to understand what a day is really like for a researcher (in 73 reviews)

• You will learn very (very) rudimentary basics of commercial real estate (in 18 reviews)

"Proceed with Caution"

Current Employee - Research Photographer
    Current Employee - Research Photographer

I have been working at CoStar Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for recent College Graduates. Paid Training. Great location. Free healthy snacks.

Cons

Unrealistic Metrics for every single department. The CEO reviews performance for each department and then begins to implement ridiculous changes and unrealistic metrics. The pay is not commesurate of work load ( photographers get paid less than anyone else in the company yet we do the MOST) The have put cameras in the cars now to watch you while you are in the field and they require you to work from your car( 8 hours).

Advice to Management

Get direct feedback from your employees, not a survey. The retention rate is so low because they don't take in to consideration how their current employees feel. They are the ones actually running your company!

"Used to be. Used to be a great, dynamic, innovative company. Now it's bad and getting worse."

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits with 401k match. Nice office space to work from. Up to date equipment. Stock value continues to go up.

Cons

Company culture just keeps going downhill. There is no upward mobility and promises made often fall through or are highly exaggerated .

"Promotions" increase your quota and end up cutting your commissions drastically. The base increase you may get is insulting and does not come close to offsetting the loss in commission.

Anyone working hard at this company used to be paid accordingly. Now, it seems as if management is always looking for another loophole to pay us less and less.

You are penalized for reversals even if you didn't originally sell the deal. You would think that a tech company would have the best software and systems for everything, but the archaic billing, invoicing and "sales log" are no where near up to even 2010 standards. They still use a spreadsheet for the sales log, which is always wrong and difficult to get corrected.

Even people who have been with the company for many years are now looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Create a career path that fosters loyalty and implement a more competitive and simple pay structure.

"You Get A Nice Business Card"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work for an organization thay has few formidable competitors that provide a comparable product. You get to promote a great product that most commercial real estate entities cannot operate without. Your office space will also be very nice. You get to listen to some great music on the Monday morning meetings.

Cons

New Costar Account Execs will find themselves in situations where they are required to extinguish fires from previous reps who oversold or neglected to provide good customer service to clients.
     Additionally, vultures from larger markets will claim ownership of your deals given the fact that there are limited prospects. This will effect how you are commissioned. Significantly.

Be prepared to be baffled by how such a large organization can make up rules along the way and permit a canabalistic sales culture.

Advice to Management

The ego of this company stems from the CEO.

If your focus groups define your sales reps as arrogant, perhaps you should build a more humble culture.

Stop putting warm bodies in your sales force.

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Co-workers for the most part are friendly , free snacks/lunch/coffee

Cons

Employee development, Culture, Senior Management

Advice to Management

Adjust expectation for different portfolio levels for research

"Horribly TOXIC place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great snacks are offered daily and plenty of water, tea and coffee are always available.

Cons

The culture is extremely toxic and makes it almost impossible to effectively do your job. The CEO is rude and belittling to staff. There were times when the CEO would gather the staff into the auditorium and would go on a raging rant and yell at the staff for two hours. People were wrongfully targeted and fired. Staff were not appreciated and were not valued and were often reminded of how easily and quickly they could be replaced. I would NEVER recommend working here to anyone.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very competitive pay, good benefits, nice office, seems to be a lot of mobility. Most people are fairly friendly and competent. The work isn't actually bad in and of itself, and the days go by quickly.

Cons

I'll agree with many other reviewers that metrics issue has hit a serious head. The ports are cyclical - some days are going to generate less calls than others, especially in higher level portfolios with fewer contacts. The idea of a static daily target rather than a monthly average is creating issues. An enormous amount of work is being put into spreadsheets and excel documents that revolve around how to generate make-work to meeting aggressively unrealistic call and update goals.

We are actively being told to look for excuses to call contacts -people we've literally spoke to days ago - in order to generate measurable metrics for the sake of reaching target goals. This is an unsustainable model that severely damages the value of CoStar's brand and its relationships to our clients. Jamming branding down people's throats and "calling them till they finally answer" (the common wisdom of the floor) isn't a good way to insure that we keep getting good data from these people.

We routinely ignore "do not call requests" for the sake of trying to reconfirm data that we shouldn't have entered in the first place. If a brokerage tells us over and over again that they don't want to work with us, the correct answer is to pull their listings and let them twist in the wind - why are we wasting the effort to try to work with them when we have so many great contacts willing to go the extra mile to provide us with good data?

I cannot emphasize how often I am told to put aside putting in new listings and data, which is the whole goal of this enterprise, because it'll take time and I need to keep calling. Let that sink in. We sell data. That's our thing. Why is data less valuable to researchers (and management for that matter) than calls?

Get over the idea that admins can't provide good data - tons of brokerages I work with have hypercompetent support staff and in-house researchers we should be building relationships with. Why am I calling a reluctant broker while he's on a showing in the field when I could call the in house-research staff who has immediate access to all the information I need?

If the overwhelming reaction of your client base is "You call too much" the correct response isn't to laugh it off and keep charging blindly ahead. Why is a twenty minute call with a client, where you help them learn how to use the product and build a relationship, judged the EXACT same way as a call to a contact you know will hang up but needs to be reached for the sake of hitting a metric?

I enjoy the work I do, and I'm proud of the results I've gotten with some of my better clients. But CoStar needs to take a step back and decide if it wants to continue down this bizarre path of metrics over results.

Advice to Management

It's clear that these decisions are coming from much higher up on the food chain than I am. I've worked corporate long enough to know that it'll take a major client leaving or a total disaster of some kind to shift the balance back in favor of a less call-obsessed approach. I'm hopeful that we don't keep driving down this road, because it's bad for morale and for our mission. I'm not asking for a pay raise, long breaks, or the freedom to do whatever I want on my shift - a job is a job, and it's not necessarily always fun. But just let us DO our jobs, instead of focusing so much on HOW we do it. A lot of us aren't lazy, feckless parasites who'll circle phone directories and leaving hour long voice messages to hit targets as soon as they're lowered to reasonable levels. We just want to work with our clients and build good relationships to ensure a good data flow.

To the HR person who reads and responds to this, I hope that you're able to take some measure of what I've said and give it to someone who matters. You have a tough job too, and I can't imagine it's fun to read so much negativity all the time. I hope that my attempt at an objective, reasoned assessment is more useful to you than howling at the moon and cursing CoStar's name.

Jun 12, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for leaving a review. It sounds like you’re a conscientious and focused research team member; know that we value your work. Every review here is read by a senior member of the HR team, so... More

"Horrible Schoolyard"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location. The office is located in a beautiful building in Irvine.

Cons

Management listens to favorites only. No team effort whatsoever. If you do not follow the "Seniors," you are cast as an incompetent and are never listened. Even the management takes the "favorites" side to make sure that the "sheeps" follow the "Costar" way. No leadership from management. Everyone is for him/herself. Beware!!!

No career opportunities at all. Management doesn't care about employees' growth. They care about themselves.

P.S. The company is so cheap that they make you pay for parking.

Advice to Management

Hire real, competent managers.

"Quality is not a priority here"

Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-No work comes home with you
    -Lots of great people (many are overqualified)
    -San Diego is a tough job market & CoStar offers opportunity for recent college grads to get on their feet

Cons

-If you care about accuracy, this place will drive you crazy. A TON of stuff is messed up on listings and comps because researchers are forced to meet crazy call metrics and are not rewarded for being thorough.
    -CoStar was deceptive in their hiring/orientation program in regard to promotion eligibility. Every time you meet/exceed requirements, they suddenly have a new requirement...
    -Basically, they do not reward employees based on merit. Don't bother working too hard. Just meet the bare minimum and don't stress out would be my advice if you do work here.

Advice to Management

-News flash, it's 2017 and brokers use email. Don't punish employees because their assigned broker prefers email or is too busy to go over their listings via phone.

Aug 10, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. Thousands of researchers have joined CoStar and been promoted within research or to other positions in the company over our 30-year history. Delivering the most... More

"Steady Income That Comes at a Cost"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-CoStar is an amazing company in the sense of the services they provide to the CRE industry, but internally it is much less amazing
    -Solid pay for difficulty of work
    -Strict 8 hours, don't have to take any work home with you
    -All expenses paid training
    -Free avocados

Cons

-Although this position requires a 4-year degree, you will quickly learn that your education is absolutely useless here; anybody can be trained to do this job
    -The metrics are unrealistic; depending on your portfolio and market you are either set up to succeed or to fail. You can work your butt off but if you have a difficult portfolio, you will not meet your metrics.
    -There is an extreme lack of communication between middle-management and researchers with things constantly changing without the changes being communicated
    -You are made to feel completely disposable and unvalued, they do not think twice before firing people, often without good reason
    -They are very misleading during the interview process, stating that "every research research associate starts at the same annual salary, paid hourly," when in reality the researchers in Richmond get paid 20% more for doing the exact same job in a city where the cost of living is significantly lower than DC, San Diego, & Toronto
    -You are also led to believe that you will learn a lot about the CRE industry when in reality you will only learn some very basic key terms that most people with any CRE knowledge already know

Advice to Management

Communicate, be honest, make people actually feel valued and not like they might be fired any day.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Experience and Education to real estate industry
    - Office Space is fantastic and offers lots of free perks, gym, snacks, etc.
    - Young environment and opportunity to have strong relationships with coworkers
    - Employee stock purchase program, health insurance, 401k all top of the line

Cons

- difficult to set yourself apart in very hierarchical structure
    - hourly employee pro - overtime and defined work hours, negative overtime has to be approved, and can be frustrating

Advice to Management

- I think you have changed since I left, but generally looking at this role with outside eyes and a fresh approach will help you retain the talent more and provide a more satisfying experience for your employees

Aug 2, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate your time with us and your feedback.