CoStar Group Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • CoStar is able to identify and reward those with a genuine passion for commercial real estate (in 53 reviews)

• Great benefits and comp plan for sales reps is great (in 58 reviews)

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

Pros

Seemed to be a good deal of growth opportunity for people willing to put in the effort.

Cons

"research" felt like telemarketing, complete with phone call monitoring and daily call numbers that kept going up

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the research associate position more substantive

"Great benefits, Not many Opportunities to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance, fun co-workers

Cons

Not many opportunities to grow professionally, not very structured or organized

Jan 24, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for the review and your comments. We encourage you to reach out to your manager to talk about planning a path forward. They can help!

"Telemarketer Associate actively seeking employment"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. A real estate company that doesn't negotiate parking in its lease. We pay for garage parking when it's Richmond not D.C: .we Do not have a huge metro transit system like the District of Columbia! Bench seating, cold calling, poor management and directors who are young inexperienced and talk to employees any type of way

Cons

Enterprise is an antiquated system and makes no sense. How can someone work here for years!!! Depressing. Not even a salaried job. You have to clock in and out for everything. The company hires new grads because they are naive to what a real career is. If this is your first job understand you won't stay long and you will never have anything to aspire to. Management lol..a joke. Every huddle is hit the phones!!! 22 calls!! Compete compete compete!! Awful job!

Advice to Management

Get rid of Enterprise, list match tool and all of these monitors and come up with a single system that is user friendly. If you got rid of your trainers to start new, start over with new directors and management instead of bringing others from other locations. Do a complete overhaul which should have been done before you opened your doors! Change your metric structure. If we are not telemarketers get rid of the scripts and the 22 min calls and hour and a half talk time. Focus on updates! Get rid of senior researchers and levels in portfolios because everyone is dialing in everyone else's portfolio! Restructure your whole antiquated way of doing business! This is not the 80's! Your computer system goes down several times a day and tenured researches like the old system and feel they are management and geniuses at an outdated system! Put all researchers on the same level and update your software. Save yourself some money and pay for parking not lunch. No senior researchers or level 2 researches or level portfolios it's ridiculous. Save your money that way. Give rewards to teams instead of individuals so you can foster a better culture and not have high turnover. Everyone feels it sucks at Costar!! Off to a bad start in Richmond! Put that money into marketing and commercials instead of using silly sounding scripts on people who feel harassed. Fire whoever said a person needs to talk to 20 people in order to update the system! Everyone makes 90 second bs calls to tenants and voice mailboxes anyway!

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, free snacks, that's it.

Cons

Terrible management, terrible internal communication. Unrealistic metric goals that change monthly. Turning into a call center when they tell you that it's only an hour a day on the phone. All they care about is how many calls you get even if it doesn't add value to the market. The office never closes even for terrible unsafe weather. You can't work from home which doesn't make sense, since you can do the job from anywhere. Don't recommend this job to anyone, doesn't give you any good skills to take to other jobs than phone experience.

Advice to Management

Stop being so full of yourselves. Actually see how it is as a researcher and make positive changes. The turnover rate is so high because you don't see any of the problems right in front of you.

Feb 14, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thank you for the value that you’ve delivered. We appreciate your work and are thrilled that you’re making use of your benefits. Communication is a focus area for us and we continue to work to ... More

"STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!! THIS PLACE IS THE WORST!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros at this time except the building has a cool coffee shop.

Cons

They implement unattainable metrics and expect you to adhere to there ever-changing ways of the company. No month is the same as the next, and they will constantly threaten your position. In order to meet these demanding metrics, a researcher must call over 50 people a day and try to keep them on the phone by maintaining irrelevant conversations in order to get over a million two-minute” calls. You wont have time to actually add data and gather new information because you will be too busy asking how the weather is in Chicago, or reiterating a memorized “About CoStar” that you practiced to be exactly 2 minutes just to hit your metrics. The listen to your phone calls and coach you with EXTREME micro-managment. These researchers work their butts off and get NO gratitude in return. The amount of change this company underwent is extremely unprofessional.

The environment is extremely unhealthy. Management will send you an email every 15-30 minutes monitoring your calls and requesting you get back on the phone. Accompanying those emails, are a series of other emails from Upper-Management with you on a ranked list with your fellow colleagues. They expect an employee with a lower-level portfolio to hit the same metrics as those in a high-level portfolio, treating them all with the same disrespect and mental abuse. Also, you know those 2 ten-minute breaks REQUIRED by California law? Well, don’t even bother with those. You need every minute of your shift dedicated to hitting your metrics you will absolutely not have time to take your legally required breaks.

There is nothing good about this company, and culture is non-existent. What we all share as employees is coming into work and being completely miserable for our overworked unappreciated 8+ hours shift. The CEO cares about quantity, over quality. He wants more profits by charging people an obscene amount of money for useless data that the researchers DON’T HAVE TIME COLLECTING BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY COLD CALLING. The CEO cares about wining over the general welfare of his employees….. and will do just about anything (including developing an unhealthy work environment) just to be number one.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Stop treating us like we are dirt. Appreciate the hard work we contribute.

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review. We hear your feedback and we appreciate the work that you’ve done here. We are deeply committed to ethical conduct and want to gather more information. You can ... More

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Too much of an emphasis on unproductive metrics.

Jan 4, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your time with us and your feedback!

8. "n/a"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers. I always found them to be very helpful.

Cons

I found myself having to ask the 'why' more often then being told 'why' with an initial explanation.

Advice to Management

n/a

Jan 4, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review and your time here!

"Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Honestly, the coworkers I've made at CoStar are some of the best I've ever encountered! Such a young office vibe!! Most are in their 20s to early 30s.
    -True Story: Directors,Managers, Trainers are actually nice it's just that HQ in DC makes them do things even they don't want to do. Director of Bay Area Research is the nicest and sweetest person ever! If he were CEO no one would ever quit and researchers would be super happy!
    -Decent pay
    -Company pays for your parking in the garage
    -Sponsored Events: SD Padres, Del Mar Races etc.
    -Easy to fake a 2 hour lunch... Just say you "forgot" to clock-out or don't save your clock-out

Cons

LORD HAVE MERCY! Where do I even begin?
    -First of all, THE METRICS! Who in the world even placed them in charge?!obviously they have never had a portfolio. Constantly changing metrics so you can't keep up. (10) 2 minute calls...next time 45 minute total talk time... You know we're just going to super long messages and circle the phone options 100 times....
    -As a research you have to ANNOY the living daylights out of brokers, property managers, county assessor personnel by calling them 20000x a day.
    -HEADS UP HQ: 110% of us workers are cheating... DUH! As if it's not obvious enough. Leave us alone to do web updates. Brokers hate us calling.... That's why we circle the phone options for hella long and pretend to be talking even though no one is even on the other line ha ha just so we can meet the metrics!
    -All of the researchers learned how to game the system from our seniors and even managers because they know they're in hot water if their team doesn't make their numbers.
    -All the employees gather around the break room to discuss which one of us is quitting next. Once one of us gets hired elsewhere we know there's light at the end of the tunnel.... We mostly like our managers though, that's why we leave one-by-one to be considerate. Company has a high turnover, I can't even name one coworker that I know that wants to stay until retirement. Only the people who have worked there for super long now and have families to take care of are stuck. I feel bad because they're all so nice.

Advice to Management

San Diego location managers and directors are all super nice! It's not your fault! We all know it's HQ. Research Directors in SD should be made part of the decision-making team since they know first-hand what the website and company needs! Listen to them HQ!

Nov 29, 2016 – Social Media Manager

We’re genuinely surprised by the behavior you’re describing and know from the extensive data and quality assurance efforts we perform that what you’re describing is very rare. We’d appreciate ... More

"Temp job"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, time off, pay starts off at 60k

Cons

Everything . Call center. Not enough training.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on metrics. Focus on making sure your employees get enough training.

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

It sounds like this isn’t a great fit and we’d encourage you to talk to your manager about evolving your role. The information that drives value for our clients often cannot be obtained by any other ... More

"Its not good"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

marketing product is good, info product is flawed

Cons

They are very poor implementing change and treat their employees basically as numbers or human cattle. Somehow a culture of fear mongering and constant threatening of your job has been instituted in this organization. Managers do not advocate for their subordinates because they are also in fear of their jobs so they turn to sneaky backstabbing tactics to preserve their own skin. There’s lots of contradiction and what the company says and does, this goes for how they treat the employees and the customer. They are just very cold and callous on how they deal with people. Specifically in the Carolinas and Georgia their upper and mid-level managers are just awful. This company really does whack simple and I mean the most simple professional courtesy and compassion.

Advice to Management

none