CoStar Group Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

"What went wrong"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits (401k,vision,health,dental,legal)
    - Great work relationships among researchers and some managers
    - Entry level exposure to commercial real estate market from researcher's prospective

Cons

- Lack of management skill set for most of the current managers.
    - Task management and prioritization skills from managers is lacking which carries over to researchers. Every task that comes to the employees desk is a priority.
    - Did not feel as if most managers were concerned about the future development of employees but rather if they can met or even better exceed unrealistic expectations
    - I feel that the managers were not so great at asserting strengths and weaknesses of individuals on team
    - Work performance measuring metrics are constantly changing and the weight to each measuring metric is in a constant shift. Also, work performance reviews are not fair.
    - Most of the managers adopt a micro management style

Advice to Management

- Help develop individuals to grow instead of entirely set focus on daily repetitive tasks
    - Help develop managers to improve management skill set to better manage/coach/train team
    - Develop clear and concise realistic goals that employees can achieve to help promote employee confidence rather than setting goals that only few employees can achieve.
    - The goal of the company is to promote relationships and great customer service with clients but I feel like fostering the relationships within the company and nurturing employees has been lost and is more important.

Feb 7, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for your review and for your time with us. We’re glad you enjoyed our camaraderie and exceptional benefits. Research at CoStar is fast-paced and at the heart of what we do, we deeply value the ... More

"No African-American Female Research Associates in La Jolla"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are decent, You can afford a room in a shared apartment in La Jolla on your take home using 25% or a 1-bedroom in another area on 50% of it.

Good starter job

Good location/office setting

Cons

Monotonous call center work

Old Boy Network and Baby Boomer ANglo male patriarchy

Not one African-American, especially female, works in the La Jolla office. Watched them turn away an African-American woman recently who applied for Research Associate (you could hear from her conversation she was experienced in customer service and other areas and could have done the job well) but they are basically only hiring inexperienced Anglo males just out of college.

Advice to Management

Stop the white patriarchy Old Boy Network hiring practices that prevent African-Americans in San Diego from getting jobs like Research Associate that pay $50K+

Ease up on the call center approach because it is the reason why Research Associates are using it as a first job then leaving.

Ask yourselves why you do not have African American women as Research Associates, especially females in La Jolla (it is not because they have not applied).

"STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!! THIS PLACE IS THE WORST!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros at this time except the building has a cool coffee shop.

Cons

They implement unattainable metrics and expect you to adhere to there ever-changing ways of the company. No month is the same as the next, and they will constantly threaten your position. In order to meet these demanding metrics, a researcher must call over 50 people a day and try to keep them on the phone by maintaining irrelevant conversations in order to get over a million two-minute” calls. You wont have time to actually add data and gather new information because you will be too busy asking how the weather is in Chicago, or reiterating a memorized “About CoStar” that you practiced to be exactly 2 minutes just to hit your metrics. The listen to your phone calls and coach you with EXTREME micro-managment. These researchers work their butts off and get NO gratitude in return. The amount of change this company underwent is extremely unprofessional.

The environment is extremely unhealthy. Management will send you an email every 15-30 minutes monitoring your calls and requesting you get back on the phone. Accompanying those emails, are a series of other emails from Upper-Management with you on a ranked list with your fellow colleagues. They expect an employee with a lower-level portfolio to hit the same metrics as those in a high-level portfolio, treating them all with the same disrespect and mental abuse. Also, you know those 2 ten-minute breaks REQUIRED by California law? Well, don’t even bother with those. You need every minute of your shift dedicated to hitting your metrics you will absolutely not have time to take your legally required breaks.

There is nothing good about this company, and culture is non-existent. What we all share as employees is coming into work and being completely miserable for our overworked unappreciated 8+ hours shift. The CEO cares about quantity, over quality. He wants more profits by charging people an obscene amount of money for useless data that the researchers DON’T HAVE TIME COLLECTING BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY COLD CALLING. The CEO cares about wining over the general welfare of his employees….. and will do just about anything (including developing an unhealthy work environment) just to be number one.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Stop treating us like we are dirt. Appreciate the hard work we contribute.

Feb 17, 2017 – CoStar Team

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review. We hear your feedback and we appreciate the work that you’ve done here. We are deeply committed to ethical conduct and want to gather more information. You can ... More

"Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Honestly, the coworkers I've made at CoStar are some of the best I've ever encountered! Such a young office vibe!! Most are in their 20s to early 30s.
    -True Story: Directors,Managers, Trainers are actually nice it's just that HQ in DC makes them do things even they don't want to do. Director of Bay Area Research is the nicest and sweetest person ever! If he were CEO no one would ever quit and researchers would be super happy!
    -Decent pay
    -Company pays for your parking in the garage
    -Sponsored Events: SD Padres, Del Mar Races etc.
    -Easy to fake a 2 hour lunch... Just say you "forgot" to clock-out or don't save your clock-out

Cons

LORD HAVE MERCY! Where do I even begin?
    -First of all, THE METRICS! Who in the world even placed them in charge?!obviously they have never had a portfolio. Constantly changing metrics so you can't keep up. (10) 2 minute calls...next time 45 minute total talk time... You know we're just going to super long messages and circle the phone options 100 times....
    -As a research you have to ANNOY the living daylights out of brokers, property managers, county assessor personnel by calling them 20000x a day.
    -HEADS UP HQ: 110% of us workers are cheating... DUH! As if it's not obvious enough. Leave us alone to do web updates. Brokers hate us calling.... That's why we circle the phone options for hella long and pretend to be talking even though no one is even on the other line ha ha just so we can meet the metrics!
    -All of the researchers learned how to game the system from our seniors and even managers because they know they're in hot water if their team doesn't make their numbers.
    -All the employees gather around the break room to discuss which one of us is quitting next. Once one of us gets hired elsewhere we know there's light at the end of the tunnel.... We mostly like our managers though, that's why we leave one-by-one to be considerate. Company has a high turnover, I can't even name one coworker that I know that wants to stay until retirement. Only the people who have worked there for super long now and have families to take care of are stuck. I feel bad because they're all so nice.

Advice to Management

San Diego location managers and directors are all super nice! It's not your fault! We all know it's HQ. Research Directors in SD should be made part of the decision-making team since they know first-hand what the website and company needs! Listen to them HQ!

Nov 29, 2016 – Social Media Manager

We’re genuinely surprised by the behavior you’re describing and know from the extensive data and quality assurance efforts we perform that what you’re describing is very rare. We’d appreciate ... More

"CoStar"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great people, healthy food options and cool offices.

Cons

You might be micromanaged, but it depends on your manager.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It pays well, it's a good introduction into CRE industry.

Cons

Always shifting ideas. Not enough employees to cover the work load. Never caught up on work.

Advice to Management

Add employees. Create more focused positions.

"The worse job that I ever had!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Pay was pretty good for entry level. Work flexibility.

Cons

Management was terrible. Intimidation tactics and pressure to make Quota. Ever changing policies and if you got assigned a lower ranking portfolio you are screwed. Never felt appreciated and always afraid of getting fired. If you are a professional do not apply here. This job is mainly suitable for someone right out of college who has no clue how you should be treated in a real job.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and care more for your employees!! Your metrics are ridiculous and the office morale was awful.

Nov 11, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Research and calling in particular is at the core of what we do. In order to collect the most comprehensive, accurate real-time information, we have to keep in direct contact with all the people ... More

"Research Associate I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and growing ambitious company

Cons

Overly ambitious in growth to the detriment of disorganized, over worked and disconnected management, which in turn affects the morale and progress of lower level employees. Can be unprofessional. Horrible hiring practices. There is training, but it is not previously explained how strenuous and demanding it is in such a short period of time. Cutting corners to cram a large amount of information. Also AFTER one is hired it is explained that you must pass tests and such to KEEP your job. during this training. This is such an unorthodox method and ineffective. Also all the training is like cold calling people in the industry in which who wants to give up that kind of personal and confidential information that this company is asking for? It's a lure of benefits and pay, but creates a very stressful environment not setting one up for success. People do make it , but they either hate it or not. Really in the end to each their own in choosing this company. It was NOT a fit for me.

Jul 15, 2015

I’m sorry to hear CoStar Group was not a great fit for you. Our training processes for Research and Sales are designed to give newly hired employees the skills they need in order to start their role ... More

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Initial Research Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Initial Research Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group (More than a year)

Pros

They are willing to hire you with little to no experience, which is a rarity these days. You will gain some knowledge about commercial real estate, the terminology, and rates. Additionally, you get to make some connection within real estate that can help you if you decide to leave.

Cons

Maybe it has changed, but management was worried sole about meeting quota, and not doing much else except gossip. If you were really good at your job, You wouldn't get promoted, because they needed you to do that job, If you were average and played the suck-up game then you would be promoted. Raises were meager, and the mark for receiving a bonus was constantly moved.

Advice to Management

Learn to promote from within. Have realistic expectations for meeting quotas. Make management accountable for not doing their job.

Jun 26, 2015

We are pleased to say that within the last year many practices have been put into place to avoid any of the complaints you mention. We look to help our employees who are interested in being promoted ... More

"In Retrospect.... 2 years after I left."

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

+ Good benefits package, much better than most benefit packages in the private sector.
    + Free food, snacks and transit reimbursement.
    + Solid base pay (but bonus was another thing).

Cons

+ Metrics, hands down. Insane focus on them, even to the point of being highly counterproductive. Even better, I found out management was deliberately slowing down the CRM client at the end of the bonus period to diminish the bonuses researchers qualified for. I thought at first I was just being paranoid, but then found irrefutable evidence supporting it. Deep credibility loss of the company at this point, especially since they quietly buried my findings.
    + 2 minute phone calls. Had a top multifamily client who initially was providing essential data, but never ending continuous calls and harassment by sales and other researchers reversed the high profile client's relationship completely and refused to provide ANY information going forward. I don't blame the researchers/sales at all, they had to keep up with their calls somehow. Also, just FYI, one reason you lost a major client in my market (who shall remain nameless) was due to the phone calls. So, good decision to keep this "award winning" metric.
    + Bonuses. Was told I did everything necessary to earn a bonus one quarter, and it was not paid out despite verbal assurances from Director. That's NOT ok, I kept my end of the bargain in every measure, but the company refused to honor their end of the bargain, and were quite aggressively arrogant about it as well. Needless to say, after that, I merely focused on minimum standards. Why waste my time and resources to end up with nothing? Well, ok, I did get something, a lack of motivation that the clients could read like a book, even over the phone. And no, I wasn't deliberately unmotivated, just kind of hard to keep positive when your misleading me for nonsensical reasons.
    + Culture. Based on backstabbing, gossip, and frivolous reasons for getting people fired. As much as the company denies this, it's pretty obvious. I was there for 8 plus years, pulling the wool over my eyes is not going to work at this stage. I have every reason to believe the petty culture will continue. Ironically, I was on the good end of this culture, but felt silently ashamed to be a part of it.
    + Big Brother Atmosphere. People were afraid to hang out in the break room, for good reason. People felt it was bugged, and some conversations I overheard between managers, directors and even VPs confirmed they were at least spying on their employees in weird ways. Yes, it's your company, but does management have enough to do? Maybe 2 minute phone calls for each manager, that way you can keep them busy and explain the overhead to the stockholders.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees, it's obvious your only trying to make superficial outward changes to these issues. You've continued this for many years when I was there (and still do from what contacts over there tell me), CoStar has a great potential to be a great place to work. Remember, I took a job that pays substantially less just to leave, that's not good for the company in general, the economy, or the many clients who were understandably confused why I would leave as they felt my work quality and ethic was outstanding. I still keep in touch with employees who tell me it's the same as it was when I was there two years ago. When I hear from them that it's gotten better, I will believe it. Until then, your credibility is gone.

Mar 27, 2015

We appreciate the feedback, but I wish you would have shared it before you left the company two years ago, as it would have been far more relevant and useful. Our company has massively grown in the ... More