CoStar Group "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Sep 26, 2019

CoStar Group CEO Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance
Pros
  • "Great company, great benefits a lot of growth(in 98 reviews)

• "Exciting, challenging and rewarding role with a company that supports the dynamic world of commercial real estate(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management does not pass along position concerns of RAs to upper management(in 94 reviews)

• "They glossed away from the full truth about the position being a call center(in 64 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"The best company I have ever worked for..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Greenville, SC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked as a CoStar sales rep in a small market for over a decade. I am not an executive and I am not a manager, I am just a sales rep. CoStar has allowed me to earn an excellent income and create wealth for my family. The benefits are great and the culture is first class. If you are looking for a company to join, consider CoStar. I am glad I did. I have found the CEO to be genuine and approachable and... generous and above all, truthful.

Cons

I can’t think of a single con. If I had any, I would share them. If there were any, I would not be here.

Advice to Management

Keep giving and it comes back a hundred fold.

CoStar Group2019-02-23

"Good but don't make this long term"

Former Employee - Community Researcher

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, pay, and training

Cons

Repetitive mundane work, not enough time to learn new skills or to advance

CoStar Group2019-09-26

"Bought out and laid off"

Former Employee - Digital Services Manager

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

They have great benefits. If they plan on keeping you at all.

Cons

They bought us out just to get rid of us.

CoStar Group2019-09-19
  4. "Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - AR Analyst

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, solid management, always try to make sure employees have what they need to be the best at their job.

Cons

Upper management was not transparent on a few issues that they needed to be, and straight out lied about certain things. It was during an acquisition, so I understand that a lot happens when acquiring a new company, but the situation could have been handled better.

CoStar Group2019-08-07
  5. "Great Money"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great pay if you hit quota or exceed especially

Cons

Work life balance at times

CoStar Group2019-08-06

"Great pay/benefits, horrible job"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are great for someone fresh out of college, which is why people stay longer than they plan to. This is why people call it a trap.

Cons

Here’s a summary of this review in case you don’t feel like reading: If you are bored easily, don’t like doing the same few tasks over and over again, have an issue with micromanagement, and want to get some sort of satisfaction out of your work, do not take this job. I worked here for a year and half and like 90% of my colleagues, I stayed much longer than I planned, because of the money. This is a long review... but I could have easily written a novel about why you should avoid working here. Everything you do is based on metrics. If you don’t hit those metrics, you will receive emails from your manager and possibly director asking why you aren’t doing your job (sometimes it’ll include a graph of your lack of progress throughout the day), and you’ll then need to write out a “plan of action” that includes how you plan to improve. I was less supervised as a high school student than I was at this job. This job would honestly be bearable if you didn’t have managers and directors constantly breathing down your neck and making you focus so much on metrics. The stress from the metrics makes you put all your energy into hitting numbers (which are often fake) instead of focusing on serving the client/working on actual commercial real estate data/research. You will find yourself spending hours trying to hit your goal of 14 interviews because 90% of brokers would much rather communicate via email and don’t have time to sit on the phone answering questions (shocking that a data company hasn’t figure that out considering it’s 2019). One of the company’s biggest flaws is how it treats people who deserve to move up and get promoted. They’ll tell you during the interview process that there are many different avenues you can go down after being a research associate for a year or two, but that’s just not the case for majority of people. I’ve watched numerous people perform consistently well each month, win awards such as “top producer” or “top interviewer,” and take on extra team responsibilities still get passed up repeatedly for promotions over people who either barely met their metrics or are known for cheating the system. One of the popular reasons people are told they didn’t get promoted was because they were “too valuable to lose as a research associate.” In reality, they want certain people to be managers- those who will never question how things are done and those who don’t have a problem micromanaging. You’ll notice there’s a large number of good Glassdoor reviews that people wrote around the same time (written a few months ago)…That’s because the CEO held multiple meetings with different departments to highly encourage people to go onto Glassdoor and leave reviews about how great it is to work at CoStar. Usually, if it’s a decent place to work, you don’t have to ask people at your company to write inflated reviews. In short, the money is great; but if you’re looking for a job that makes you feel valued, requires you to use your brain and critical thinking skills, or gives you any sense of independence, do not take this job.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on metrics and let people focus on quality data and customer service. You're not only making it impossible for research associates to enjoy their job but you're hurting your clients who are spending a lot of money for quality data.

CoStar Group2019-06-24

"Not worth the Headache"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits and decent pay

Cons

lack of transparency, no flexibility in work schedule for hourly employees. The pay is NOT worth the headache. Not the best environment for employees with families. Not structured and unrealistic expectations. Great workers are not valued.

CoStar Group2019-06-05

"Good pay, depressing job"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay compared to similar jobs in the industry Steady work Great benefits Great co-workers Independent type of work Great for single parents of young kids as it allows to take time off on the "spur of the moment" Great benefits Good amount of days off - vacation, sick, personal days

Cons

Crazy metrics that can only be attained by lowering quality. Boring job because of the way it is designed - metrics is all that matter, not quality. Skills cannot be transferred easily to other jobs. Getting stuck and brain washing sensation. Bad upper management.

Advice to Management

Focus on information quality, rather than illogically unattainable metrics (unless poor quality).

CoStar Group2019-05-30
  9. "Overall good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great company, great benefits a lot of growth

Cons

not many once you get promoted

CoStar Group2019-05-08

"If you like being micro-managed you'll love it here."

Former Employee - Director of Photo and Video in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits and 401K package

Cons

Heavily micro-managed, poor management from starting at the top. Everything you do is monitored, down to how many times you leave your desk. Directors have live monitors recording you while you work. If you are provided a car, all car movements are reported back to the office as well as cameras that are watching you while you drive.

CoStar Group2019-05-24