CoStar Group "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Chief Executive Officer Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

"Good starting job"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits and good work culture

Cons

none except for the last minute projects

Advice to Management

Have better promotions

CoStar Group2017-09-03

"Great People! Very Poor Culture"

in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group for more than a year

Pros

Good products, great benefits, free lunches! Not afraid to invest money where it is needed. The people are great as well. Good pay.

Cons

The culture created by the CEO is one of fear and intimidation unfortunately. I hear many stories about him belittling and yelling at people,

CoStar Group2017-08-27

"Toxic Culture, Toxic Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an avenue to get into Commercial Real Estate, albeit a circuitous one Free fruit The benefits are great Many nice, well-meaning people

Cons

The way that people are treated and managed at CoStar is notoriously dehumanizing. My manager once told me: "Make sure you have someone to blame" My team often worked directly with the CEO, Andrew Florence. Andy is an irascible, mercurial, vindictive leader that believes in humiliating, intimidating, and debasing his colleagues in front of others. Despite his stature, Andy terrifies the executive leadership on down. People are even afraid to openly acknowledge Andy's behavior and only reference him to others with cryptic whispers. Andy blames all of the company's shortcomings on the people around him, which is ironic because he doesn't allow virtually any decisions to be made without his approval. Andy is the King Joffrey of CEOs. If you've ever had to use a CoStar product, you know Andy doesn't know how to run a technology company. The technology stack is a massive dinosaur of obsolete bandaids-on-bandaids. I am sure that many of the higher-ups are actually talented but their single most important skill is surviving at CoStar. Almost all of the leadership has worked at CoStar their entire careers so they have never had exposure to real leadership. Andy was worst rated CEO in DC on Glassdoor in 2013 and he had a meltdown. After that came out, you can see that there was some pressure to improve the reviews of CoStar/Andy. This also seems to be the time when they started publicizing the employee health initiative, which rewards people's Fitbit achievements. Keep looking. You're better than this.

Advice to Management

Maybe the ghost of Christmas future will visit Andy. Otherwise, continue jockeying to monopolize the space in lieu of innovating. There is no reason for good talent to go anywhere near this place.

CoStar Group2017-07-29
  4. "So Far, So Good"

Current Employee - Tenant Researcher in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, lots of company perks

Cons

Paying for parking, too metrics-focused

CoStar Group2017-07-14

"Don't expect them to care about you"

Former Employee - Research Photographer

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Not cooped up in an office.

Cons

9 hours a day in a car. Editing photos in a car. Driving until you can find a good cell signal so that you can work. Great amount of time wasted. The job was initially to work for several hours gathering photos and data, then going home to edit photos and enter data. This was a great job. Then, in April, they decided to make us work out of our car. All day long. A car is NOT an ergonomic workstation. If you have any lower back problems this will destroy your spine, like it did mine. Then, when you're on doctor's restrictions they will fire you, leaving you without a way to pay for all of the medical bills you've accumulated due to their ridiculous, bottom-line-is-the-only-thing-that-matters policies. This job cost me a lot more than it ever compensated me.

Advice to Management

There's no point - management will never listen. To anyone interested in working for CoStar: run. Run away quickly. You do not matter to them - only the bottom-line matters.

CoStar Group2017-07-31

"Research"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good pay and good people

Cons

Management does not care about the employees. They solely care about call center stats, which is all CoStar essentially is. The company is on a track to set-destruction by continuing to bully and aggravate the people who actually subscribe and pay for the products. The work environment is toxic and people are constantly afraid of being terminated.

CoStar Group2017-07-26
  7. "Overall good place to work"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Free healthy snacks in the break room. Office in upscale location

Cons

Many managers are unqualified and not helpful. Job can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

More learning and growth opportunities.

CoStar Group2017-05-15
  8. "A stepping stone career"

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Learn how to make cold calls and deal with rejection. Good job for someone straight out of college. Decent pay and great benefits.

Cons

Company micro manages everything. No real growth inside the company.

CoStar Group2017-05-09

"Fast Pace Growing Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits and Decent Salary. Room for advancement especially if you have a degree. Employees are nice and the working environment is fun at times.

Cons

Very Conservative, heavy micro managing, heavy spreadsheet reporting, they need new CRM software to enhance productivity and please implement a telecommuting option for all staff.

Advice to Management

Implement a mentoring program for existing staff who are interested in advancing their career. Implement annual performance review and or survey of department managers by the staff they manage.

CoStar Group2017-03-02

"Field Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive - Field

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Outstanding compensation if you meet your goals, good support from management, good internal lead support, great training and ramp up commission period

Cons

Corporate micro managing, metrics, competition from your own peers can be tough. Frequent changes internally to sales focus and goals

CoStar Group2017-02-11