Coalinga State Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Health Recrods Tech I"

Former Employee - Clerical/Medical Records in Coalinga, CA
    Former Employee - Clerical/Medical Records in Coalinga, CA

I worked at Coalinga State Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were excellent.

Cons

My type of work is very detailed because it entails codes, procedures, ICD-9's, coding etc. This position in a General hospital would entail much training and cooperation with management. But at this mental institution it was much more clerical and and the patient load were actual inmates from a state prison and you have to be a certain type of individual in order to cope with this kind of employment and environment. Also my commute was over 100 miles every day to get to my job.

Advice to Management

Management is the boss, and so I feel that nothing I would say or suggest they would find appropriate for the institution. Government employment is so very structured; even if you suggest changes, management would probably not take your advice or suggestion

2. "View from a liason"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coalinga, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coalinga, CA

Pros

I have been acting on behalf of a handful of Coalinga State Hospital residents for over a year. My jog is to call in the hounds when something goes wrong, which doesn't mean that I overlook the good points from my work and having visited CSH, and a couple hundred phone calls to the staff and residents. The place is sparkling new, for what the normal visitor sees. The two higher ups that I've dealt with, both former or present directors, get high reviews even from the most recalcitrant patients.

Cons

The medical condition and about half of the doctors are unprofessional and their medical licensees should be revoked. The psych tech staff are equally divided between kind-heated and deplorable. The security force is corrupt and has been sneaking in contraband and setting up 'hits' on residents since day one. I've written articles on this, and the CA state inspector from the DOJ has verified. The doctors and staff will change, only after there is consequence. They themselves call it negative reinforcement. If you want something done, go to the top, to the pilot, and there can be change.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to those who work with you, and don't rely with what they say but what the residents say. Walk through the entire facility once in a while by yourself in disguise, like the Prince and the Pauper, and see what changes should be made.

"Definitely worst employment"

Current Employee - Food Service Technician II in Coalinga, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Technician II in Coalinga, CA

I have been working at Coalinga State Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits, guaranteed schedule, lots of overtime, state job.

Cons

Poor employee appreciation, childish staff, supervisors use use bullying and harassment tactics. Don't care for employee health or well being. Sneaky tactics used by supervisors to get employees in trouble.

Advice to Management

Your employees need to be treated better, deserve appreciation.

"Stressful and"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Coalinga, CA

I worked at Coalinga State Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facility allows you work experience. Compensation, overtime, and benefits.

Cons

Company unethnical labor practices. Facility located in rural location that has been assessed for valley fever.

Advice to Management

Allow the experience psych Tech use they knowledge and experience.

"Evil"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Coalinga, CA

I worked at Coalinga State Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The facility is new, supplies are readily available, fast promotions are possible if you play the game and sell your soul.

Cons

Management. Promotions are allowing incompetent people to supervise. Egos are running rampant, positions of authority are being abused. Staff are not supported by Administration. Harassment by middle management is out of control in some programs. Favoritism is also an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff working on the units. Stop the "good ol' boy" system in place. There are a lot of good employees being harassed and driven away by program management.

"Disrespectful of RNs"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Coalinga, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Coalinga, CA

I have been working at Coalinga State Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to help those patients that the rest of society has forgotten about. Many of the people that you work with on the units are great people.

Cons

The system of management is outdated. They have no respect for the scope of practice of the people working for them. There is no upward advancement for nurses. Your schedule is constantly being changed.

"Good ,an laboratory"

Current Employee - Coalinga State Hospital in Coalinga, CA
    Current Employee - Coalinga State Hospital in Coalinga, CA

Pros

Cleanliness and neatness in the laboratory.Benefits are very good.Schedule is perfect, 4/10s,off Friday,Saturday and Sunday.

Cons

Too far as home is concerened, have to go there Monday and stay overnight to Wednesday and
    drive back home for hours. Being away from love one is the most unsatisfying part.
    Smell of the community is awful, sometimes it gets into the lab.

Advice to Management

Support from management is good.

9. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Office Technician in Coalinga, CA
    Current Employee - Office Technician in Coalinga, CA

Pros

schedule, benefits, co-workers, supervisors. I work a 4/10/40 which means I get 3 day weekends which is awesome. My supervisor is amazing and co workers are so fun to be around.

Cons

The patients here at the hospital are difficult to work with. Unlike inmates we have to deal with their bad behaviors.

Advice to Management

the leadership here is very supportive. I think a good consensus across the board would be good, some supervisors allow more than others but this place is awesome.

"Licensed Psychiatric Technician"

Former Employee - LPT
    Former Employee - LPT

I worked at Coalinga State Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money. Lots of overtime. Great benefits and retirement. Schedule can be flexible if you're in the right circle. Holiday pay. Good amount of vacation time.

Cons

Mandatory overtime. If you have a commitment after work, don't bother going in that day because chances are you wont make it. Nepotism. Staff splitting. Dirty staff. Management plays favorites. Lots of drama and retaliation.

Advice to Management

Keep it professional. If someone is doing their job, let them do it. If someone doesn't want to promote, don't force them to or threaten them. If someone wants to promote, they should be given the opportunity based on integrity and work ethic not based on whether they kiss butt or do dirty work.

"Spoiler alert: The real SVPs are not the patients!"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist

I worked at Coalinga State Hospital full-time

Pros

They are too lazy to contest your unemployment benefits.
    If you are a gossip mongerer, they have a position for you as a staff psychologist, whose main duty is to falsity and embellish documentation because at heart you are a closet voyeur who secretly wishes you had a life of your own.

Cons

Be careful if you are a young smart attractive female. They will treat you like you are the patient and write you up for minor citations like forgetting to sign in a section of the hospital once a year. This is because as a girl you are looked at as a liability and certain sections of the hospital are unsecure and not monitored by cameras or doors that lock properly. If you are a male you will be fine if you keep your head down and cower to the demands of every single idiot around you during your probation year. Patients threaten to litigate and often due. Avoid actually doing any work during probation and that is how you will pass, by being invisible, which is something the twice divorced homely specimens can only accomplish. Work here if you want to have your medical license revoked and be listed in a class action lawsuit. You are a warehouse worker, designed to help no one. You will never get the fulfillment you wanted out of the job like you were taught in school. Don't expect to change lives, or change the system, for that matter. You are a mere cog in a machine which dysfunctions so badly it only perpetrates further psychological, emotional, and mental harm on its most vulnerable constituents.

Advice to Management

Stop asking young female employees if they're going to get pregnant, married, and have a family, and not in that particular order.