Coast Guard Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place!"

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and core values. Hours are pretty flexible, access to gym and can workout when you want, travel, and gear.

Cons

Can be a negative work environment and have to follow command.

2. "Good pay and students"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in New London, CT

I worked at Coast Guard Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, top notch students.

Cons

On the teaching side, it was disturbing to see how little time students (cadets) were afforded for study.

3. "Great way to challenge your mind and not work too long of hours"

Pros

Chance to learn (re-learn) technical knowledge from past university training. My position was teaching so very much enjoyed interacting with the cadets. Also great way to gain experience with millennial thinking.

Cons

It is the US government. If you come from a commercial background (i.e you enjoy thinking of new ways to do things; to grow, or improve something, then you will be disappointed. A lot of nice people who have no desire to change status quo. They come in at 8, do their job, then leave at 4. No interest in changing anything.

Advice to Management

Embrace those who come from outside the Coast Guard. We have a lot of real world experience and could help the program tremendously.

4. "Preschool teachers"

I worked at Coast Guard Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Children and parents were great to meet

Cons

Admin staff were the worse to meet

5. ""Associate Professor""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

I worked at Coast Guard Academy (More than a year)

Pros

Steady schedule, interesting student body, ideal location in New England

Cons

Military supervisors, student stress affected teaching atmosphere, micromanagement

6. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, great people to work with, exciting career.

Cons

A lot of Bureaucracy, Slow to make decision to imporve workforce,

7. "Low quality education"

Current Employee - Professor in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Professor in New London, CT

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The primary reason why the Academy continues as it does is the $. Both military and civilian are paid far too much for what they do. So the pro, if you are an employee, is the income. The benefits are not bad, of course, and people are generally respectful, to your face anyway.

Cons

As a civilian academic, the cons are considerable: working for a US military employer, it is the ranks of the US military that run the show, make all of the key decisions (despite lip service to the contrary). The culture is largely 'be at your workstation' and fill-out - seriously, for all employees including professors - time cards. Yes, time cards. Most importantly, the US Coast Guard Academy, unlike other US military academies, forces all cadets to take trainings that seriously impede their ability to pursue an education. The cadets are perpetually in survival mode, putting out fires, and not doing any serious study of any kind, on any topic.

Advice to Management

The CG Academy is more than just a military institution; it is a hybrid, where both military and educational priorities should be openly discussed, respected, and supported. In 2012 a former Assistant SUPT informed the faculty that 'this is not an educational institution..' That would frankly come as a great surprise to those who come here to pursue, inter alia, an education and the many accrediting agencies and parents that expect that cadets receive an education. Moreover, to be on the map of national prominence, the CG Academy needs to fully support research. The only civilian faculty who stay-on are not helping in that regard; they 'understand' that research is 'not possible' and just keep collecting their hefty paychecks. The Academy is well overdue for many changes. The Big Secret: Close the CG Academy, offer only OCS (via Navy), and save hundreds of $millions every year.

8. "Not heading in a good direction"

Pros

CGA offers a wonderful opportunity to develop and nurture leaders for the service (and their careers afterwards). The cadets appreciate your efforts, and it is awesome to see what they accomplish within a few short years. Many of the staff are extremely dedicated and excellent colleagues and mentors. When you luck out, there are wonderful people in charge who make showing up to work an absolute joy.

Cons

Senior leadership is not good at the moment. As a result there is a cloud of fear over the campus and morale is very low amongst staff and cadets. However, change in leadership is imminent, and this place can improve quickly if they get rid of a handful of folks. In good times, the main struggle is getting resources (budgets are small) and getting new initiatives off the ground. Much of the leadership is CGA grads, many have only been to graduate school to the Master's level (this is especially true in the senior management ranks). There is big opposition to making changes to the program, even if they echo best practices at top institutions because "that's the way it was back when I went to CGA." Research opportunities/facilities pretty non-existent for faculty even at the best of times.

Advice to Management

For some folks, retire and quit doing any more damage. For other folks, make sure you are continuously benchmarking the best schools. Remember that your staff is a pool of folks who have exposure to many different organizations. Give them a chance to keep improving the end product. Work on diversity in the right way - go out to see America and make sure you stop at the unlikely places - don't just send cadets back to their own high school and call it job done on recruiting.

The biggest thing is - unless this is a fantastic tour in the Coast Guard for the military and a good place to build a career for a civilian, the end product will decline. It should be the greatest opportunity one is handed in their lifetime, rather than a job people are happy to be done with.

9. "Coast Guard officer"

Current Employee - 0-3 in Morgan City, LA
    Current Employee - 0-3 in Morgan City, LA

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for Travel, pay, benefits

Cons

Too much micromanagement, lack of diversity and very small budget

Advice to Management

Need to learn to put people first

10. "I really did love working at that Coast Guard Academy"

Former Employee - Office Clerk in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in New London, CT

I worked at Coast Guard Academy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff there are like a family once you equate faces to names and names to personalities. I worked there for several years and they treated me with the utmost respect. My supervisor was a treat to work for and she really had become an expert in her field, which made learning from her and working for her so much easier and fulfilling.

Cons

I was an intern there, and then a summer temp., and then an office clerk for the same office as my responsibilities in the department grew, but I couldn't become a member of the actual staff because I wasn't related to or the spouse of a member of the military. It was a great experience to work their for as long as I did. but that one "con" really didn't sit well with me.