Coastal Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 41 reviews

3.6
Chuck Purvis

"Such a Shame..."

I have been working at Coastal Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are better than most employers.

Cons

Coastal used to be such a great place to work. In the past few years the employee morale has gone down hill. Employees are overworked and stressed to the max. Management does not see that side, they just want end results...Employee problems are swept under the carpet and not dealt with if you are upper management. They need more positive feedback from manager to employees as they get very frustrated when working so...

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They can tell you what is going on in the lower ranks and might even have some good suggestions.....

Coastal Federal Credit Union2015-09-02

"Cutting edge technology with too many old school managers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coastal Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loyal member base, great benefits, competitive products and dedicated co-workers.

Cons

I can only speak to my experience as a mortgage loan officer but suffice it to say there was little to no room for advancement. The management team consisted of a good old boy network going back many years and you were either in or out. My manager was slow to recognize the needs of its members and when approached was too cheap to do anything about it. We could have improved our volume, service and profit with an adequately...

Advice to Management

Listen closely to what your hardest working employees are saying about certain managers who do not embrace the credit unions model regarding its internal customers. An open door policy should not be grounds for retaliation by your supervisor. The mortgage department suffered low morale and I believe everyone would have been served much better had the issues been addressed.

Coastal Federal Credit Union2015-03-03

"Worst management I've experienced in over 25 years in the workplace"

I worked at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Pros

Loved the staff and culture; were it not for my manager, I probably would have enjoyed a rewarding career at Coastal and stayed a long time.

Cons

Manager that I dealt with lacked integrity and leadership skills - willing to lie, interested more in his agenda than in working efficiently/ productively, played favorites with staff, and used bullying/harassment as a management tool.

Coastal Federal Credit Union2015-02-11
  4. "Account Colleector"

Current Employee - Collector in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Coastal Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office Atmosphere, learning about the Car business

Cons

Political Atmosphere not good for business

Advice to Management

nothing, neutral

Coastal Federal Credit Union2014-08-04

"Great to start once you get your foot in the door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coastal Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great training when you have the opportunity for it. Benefits are great for singles and couples. Internal hires are posted every month or so and there are plenty of chances to move up the ladder

Cons

If they love you, you are set If they don't, it doesn't always work out

Coastal Federal Credit Union2012-11-27

"Good co-workers, bi-polar corporate vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Pros

I have worked with the nicest people at CFCU. Everyone is on the same team and there is no back-stabbing. A very family-friendly atmosphere. Coastal is a family.

Cons

Sr Management cannot seem to make up their minds about the type of org Coastal should be. The branch staff is constantly being restructured. Good, competent managers are moved around and demoted for unexplained reasons. There is little or no promotion from within. A Sr. VP came from RBC Bank and he keeps creating VP positions form former RBCers. He seems to think Coastal employees are inferior to his RBC cronies!

Advice to Management

Please be consistent in branch structure and personnel. This is a relationship business and you seem to have forgotten that. Stop moving people around different branches! Develop an internal career development program and start promoting from within!

Coastal Federal Credit Union2012-05-21

"Over-worked, under-paid, with no room to advance"

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coastal Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent, not great, benefits, 401k

Cons

The automated tellers are a disaster! As a result, the members are mostly cranky and they will let you hear it! It seems CFCU creates a "VP" position monthly so they can bring another failed RBC cronie over. The result, you saw what happened to RBC, the ship is taking on water fast. CFCU is headed down the same path. Honestly, I have no clue how people that are so wreckless with money can be in the important positions...

Advice to Management

Fire all these RBC crones. Promote from within. It's a shame these guys are changing CFCU in to the company it is today, because the CEO is a very nice guy who had a great company, 5-10 years ago. Staff your branches to handle the rush's.

Coastal Federal Credit Union2012-05-24

"Bad decisions by upper management continues to pile on the "paper work" for the account manager, with no additional pay"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Pros

Job security and good benefits

Cons

Minimal raises, NO advancement, awful teller machines, disrespected branch employees, cranky members, disconnect from corporate office. STAGNANT POSITIONS.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep talent by promoting from within. Do research before implementing major change. Lose the teller machines

Coastal Federal Credit Union2011-12-08
  9. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Communication between departments is key to success

Advice to Management

Open door policy, mean it whne you say it.

Coastal Federal Credit Union2011-01-27

"Coastal Federal Credit Union is good to members, not employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Pros

Credit Unions provide an excellent product and services to members and Coastal is a very good provider of these services.

Cons

In the last couple of years, they have grown exceptionally large and haven't been able to treat employees with the proper respect. There is very little room for advancement in a company that remains focused on it's own objectives without regards for employee training and advancement.

Advice to Management

Do a better job training and promoting employees. Allow employees to review the performance and abilities of middle level management and invest heavily in training.

Coastal Federal Credit Union2010-01-25