Coastline Business Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Coastline Business Strategies Reviews

Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.2
  1. "Great Resume Builder. Learned a lot!"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Firstly I do want to say everyone that has not succeeded here would say its a "scam" however that is not the case This company rewards you based on performance and some past employees just expected everything to be given to them What this company taught me was hard work and leadership which was definitely the motivation I needed to eventually start my own business There are yearly R&R (Rest & Relaxation trips) taken by the whole organization and they are SO much fun. Its definitely the opportunity the organization takes to recognize its employees and show them a good time.If you like to travel also there is plenty of opportunities to go on business trips where the company pays for your stay. You get paid every single week here and the pay comes with bonuses (I earned many so my paychecks were great) I typically averaged about 800 a week They do not hire everyone, they are very selective about the employees so all of my coworkers were very professional and easy to easy along with

Cons

The office culture is somewhat young however the hungry young professionals are definitely there looking to gain experience

Coastline Business Strategies2014-02-20
  2. "Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Salesman/Solicitor in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job pays you based on performance. If you work hard and can sell, then you can make money.

Cons

Not for everyone. You go door to door soliciting businesses to buy office supplies (Quill products). Personally, I felt like a real jerk bothering strangers about there office supplies. You will not make very much money your first weeks (or possibly ever). The job provides zero financial security since it is all based on you much you sell. This is probably why there is huge turnover in employees. Lastly, and probably the most frustrating part of the job, I never got a physical copy of Quill's catalog. I had a mini catalog, kind of like one you receive from clothing or electronic stores periodically, but it did not cover 10% of what they have. If you have a potential buyer interested in a printer then you have to use a computer (rarely) or smartphone (often) to show them their opitions. Needless to say, this is a huge inconvenience and makes you look unprofessional and unprepared. There is a huge (outdated) catalog that some employees had, but apparently they are too expensive to make and aren't made anymore (or so I was told). So I hope you have a smartphone and a good data plan.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-12-07
  3. "Good in theory, however it is highly misleading"

Current Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team environment, training is thorough, fast growth, teaches you patience in the field, new experience each day.

Cons

Company values are non-existent, not to mention the fact that the bosses are complete drunks, and have no professional demeanor whatsoever. A lot of swearing & aggressive language in the workplace, also the pay structure is misleading. You are told you will make 600+ a week, but what they don't tell you is that in order to make the salary you must meet a quota & if you don't make the quota you are strictly commission. It is highly misleading.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-05-06

"Know what you're getting yourself in for"

Former Employee - Client Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

(Ignoring Pros/Cons section to instead summarize my experience with the company). First off, the company's "real" name is Atlantic Coast Consulting. Coastline Business Strategies is one of MANY smaller businesses within Atlantic Coast Consulting. I feel like I should share my experience at Coastline Business Strategies so that it may help anyone considering the entry level sales position. First, I will address all of my questions/concerns prior to joining the company, followed by the answers... Q. Is the position 100% commission? A. Yes and no... you will be assured that there is a $400/week "base salary" with 20% commission, however, what you are not told is that to qualify for the base salary, you must meet a minimum of 5 sales per week. By making 5 sales a week, it would be very likely that you would average around $800 per week if you were 100% commission, so by taking the "base salary" + 20%, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. The main issue I have with this is that a base salary should be present regardless of sales, so there is in fact no true base salary, meaning the position can be treated as 100% commission. Q. Are there benefits/holidays? A. No. The management are very considerate, and will allow you days off to "do what you gotta do", however, seeing as how the job is 100% commission, that is basically the same as being self employed, so certainly in most cases, the "employer" should not have any say in whether or not you take time off anyways, as long as your sales are there. There are no benefits that I was made aware of. Q. Are sales door-to-door? A. YES! The sales generally are not residential, however you will be expected to go to wherever there is a listed business (which is sometimes residential), but it is absolutely 100% door to door sales, meaning you find a strip of stores that may be candidates for your product, and you work your way through those stores to sell your product. Q. What am I selling? A. It varies, I pitched wireless products, other people sell office supplies, you sell whatever you are told to sell. Q. What is the work environment like? A. The office environment is very energetic team building and training, you spend from 800-915am basically (in my opinion) wasting time, the management try to get you pumped up and ready to go out and sell the snot out of your product. It's very friendly and can be quite fun, however, the reason for this is because when you leave the office, you will be mentally drained by all the 'customers' you pitch to. You will be spending your day with an outstanding amount of rude, ignorant and disrespectful people, along with a few reasonable and pleasant people. Your job is to make them like/trust you, and then try to sell your product. Q. Am I reimbursed for expenses? A. The only thing that you will be reimbursed for is gas, however, you will only be reimbursed at the end of the tax year as they write your mileage off as a business expense. This means that you must keep a log of your mileage, oil changes etc, then file them yourself at the end of the year. So basically no, you are not reimbursed. You will spend minimum $100/week in gas probably, and every penny of that comes out of your own pocket until years end. Q. Is this company a scam? A. The company is not a scam, however you are working with salespeople, which means you should be very careful when you are asking job related questions, and keep pressing the question until you receive a firm answer. Now, I will break down my personal experience with the company... TRAINING My overall training experience was pleasant. My 'leader' took me out with her for the first week, while I observed and took notes. Later in the week I started pitching more and more, with the understanding that I was expected to close a sale by weeks end. I did not manage to close a sale by the end of that week, so rather than sending me out on the field by myself, my team leader came with me again on Monday to assist me in closing my first sale, so that I could then be released to the field with my own territory to start working independently. The training is actually very good, you are constantly tested on your knowledge of your product, and you are given a folder with all the information you need to assist you. ON THE FIELD This is where I struggled. You are given "leads" which are supposed to give you information on the businesses you should try and sell to, however, the leads are wrong 90% of the time, which means in reality you are expected to 'find' businesses that are either new or not on the leads sheet, which means a lot of the time you are walking into a business blind, with no knowledge of what they have, or what they are eligible for. I personally struggled because I am not forceful enough. If you are to be successful in this line of work, you must be prepared to walk into someones business like you own the place, and do everything you can to not accept "No" for an answer. I left on my 7th independent day on the field, I had made 0 sales with the exception of the sale I made during training. It could be argued that I didn't give myself or the job enough of a chance, however I did learn quickly that the line of work does not suit me. LEAVING When I called up my manager to tell him that I didn't want the job anymore, he was very understanding and professional in dealing with me. PAY At my time of leaving, I was under the impression that I'd be due somewhere around $400-$800...heres why: - Job posting stated "paid training" - $100 bonus for passing background check etc. - I was expecting $400/week base salary (prior to discovering the 5 sales/week to qualify) - I made one sale for $130 commission (but expected only 20% commission mixed with base salary) - I was under the impression that gas was reimbursed monthly Well I received a cheque for $71.00... ($85 before tax) Okay, not really sure which one of the above matches $85, so I wrote an email to try and find out what the deal was. I received a voicemail a short time later which addressed all of the above points and was told: - The $85 was my $100 bonus after tax... but then I was taxed on top of tax down to $71....?? - The 400/week salary was subject to 5 sales per week - I would receive $130 the following week as payment for my commission sale - Gas is not reimbursed monthly ( I didn't address the paid training as I figured they would tell me that its only paid if you make sales during training). So overall, I'm happy that I got a total of less than $200 back, although I did invest more than that in gas, clothing (suit) and food. So ultimately it cost me money to work here, but that was down to me not selling my product. Would I recommend this company to a friend? No, however this is not necessarily a bad company to work for. Their main problem is that they are deceiving, which leads to a constant turnover of staff. (there seem to be nterviews for entry level positions 5 days a week every week). This job will allow you to make a lot of money if you are good at door to door sales, but if you're not, you will likely find it very hard to get by dealing with both the psychological and financial stresses. However, like any sales company, if you are a good sales person, you will probably have a great time working for the business, but it is very hard work. Hopefully this review will be useful to some people! Good luck!

Cons

Pros/Cons have been covered above.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-04-16
  5. "Great growth, big opportunity"

I have been working at Coastline Business Strategies full-time

Pros

Complete control of advancement, meaning, there's no "I've been here the longest so I get promoted" or "I'm friends with the boss so I get treated better". Paychecks are based solely on work ethic. If you bust your ass you get paid very well. There is unlimited growth opportunity. A lot of people are making 6 figures within 24 months. Lots of opportunity to travel, and it's never required.

Cons

Commission pay, which can be bad or good. No guarantee of advancement. Lots of outdoor work, high expectations, but not unrealistic, from management

Coastline Business Strategies2014-03-22
  6. "This place is scam."

Former Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are good at deceiving people.

Cons

They are good at deceiving their employees. You will work 60+ hours a week. You won't make any money. No benefits. No compensation for training.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-02-17

March 26, 2014Manager

Our intention is not to deceive our employees, nor any applicants to the company. We apologize for any lack of clarity you may have experienced throughout the interviewing and/or hiring process. Our goal is to be clear and transparent with our applicants and employees in order to foster a successful working environment where each individual understands their opportunity with the company. The hours of the company are disclosed at each stage of the interview process as well as upon hire. These hours are clearly stated as 8-5:30 P.M. Monday-Friday. Our company does not require employees to work outside of these parameters. Our company offers a performance-based compensation structure. There are two options available for employees upon hire: base salary plus commission with a quota or commission pay plus client bonuses. As “performance-based” entails, employees are paid based on how they perform at the sales level. Compensation is discussed as early as the first interview and spelled out in a hand-out on the second interview. At this time, our company does not offer health benefits. However, we do offer other employee benefits and bonuses to staff. Our company does offer a training bonus. However, in order to receive the bonus employees must meet the following criteria within his or her first three weeks: no absences, no tardiness, and no termination. We thank you for the time you took to provide feedback and apologize that you were not completely satisfied with our company.

Continue reading
  7. "No money, inadequate training, poorly managed. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is basically a hybrid pyramid scheme even though they tell you it isn't. This job only provides you with an opportunity. If you work your ass off every single day then there is a chance that you can make it to their "glorious" management position where you will get paid a salary and get benefits. But the path to get there is daunting to say the least. If you can buy into the system and sell your soul to this company then you can succeed.

Cons

This job is 100% commission. If you don't make big sales every day, you're screwed. I had to quit because I was actually paying money in gas alone to be able to work there on days that I didn't make a sale. It's tough to convince people to buy generic office supplies (even at a heavily discounted price) on the spot unless they have a need for it at the moment. They only provide one day of in house training before throwing you in the field with somebody. (it's because they don't want to spend the time or money to train you adequately) I got "promoted" within three weeks - the only difference was that I had to show up to work another half hour earlier for a "team meeting." They focus a lot on team bonding and spending time together outside of work with co workers. But when you are working 7am-5:30pm every day, walking most of that time, you get burnt out. I think they do this to grow personal relationships so that it makes it harder for you to quit on them. The management is poorly organized often sending people out on day trips with out any advanced notice at all.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-01-31

March 26, 2014Manager

The SEC defines a pyramid scheme as follows: In the classic "pyramid" scheme, participants attempt to make money solely by recruiting new participants into the program. Employees are compensated based on sales performance not by recruiting new participants into our program. Furthermore, it is the responsibility of our Human Resources Department to handle the recruiting process, not the responsibility of our regular employees. The hallmark of these schemes is the promise of sky-high returns in a short period of time for doing nothing other than handing over your money and getting others to do the same. There is absolutely no financial investment that is required from employees of our company. The only expense is the opportunity cost of putting in the hard work and time that is necessary to succeed in the company. The growth of this company is certainly based on hiring individuals who can be successful in a performance-based environment. Both the rate of advancement as well as the potential of compensation are based on performance. Our company offers a performance-based compensation structure. There are two options available for employees upon hire: base salary plus commission with a quota or commission pay plus client bonuses. As “performance-based” entails, employees are paid based on how they perform at the sales level. Compensation is discussed as early as the first interview and spelled out in a hand-out on the second interview. We do not offer formal gas compensation but a bonus structure for high performance is available on a weekly basis. For even a standard level of performance, individuals are provided with a sufficient bonus to offset travel expenses. After the initial training period, all of our representatives are sufficiently skilled and knowledgeable to close our clients both on the spot and through appointment-based consultations. The most successful way that we have found to train new members of our company is for them to be fully immersed in the working environment with hands-on training. We believe that there is no classroom experience that can mimic the hands-on field training. Our main focus is to have trainees shadow the sales presentations and closing skills in-person, as face-to-face interaction with business clients is the very foundation of what we do. Whether in-house or field training, cost is not a factor. Time is the major investment that we put into training. Our trainers invest an average of 1-4 weeks of their time, depending on how quickly the trainee establishes their own sales. The meeting referenced is an opportunity to be coached in the skills of interviewing, training, and developing others. Once an entry-level individual is promoted, they are given the opportunity to conduct interviews, train others, and build their own team. Spending time outside of work is both great for networking as well as building relationships with coworkers. This time is not a requirement although it is certainly encouraged. In addition, our hours are from 8-5:30 P.M. Monday-Friday. Day trips may occur without notice. However, they are not a requirement and they are aligned with the normal work hours. Day trips are an opportunity to work with different team members and mostly add some additional excitement to the workday routine. Our focus is not money but simply high performance. As a management team, we set high expectations to challenge our employees and in turn our highest performing employees make a gradual transition into business partners. As stated previously, our system of training is based on providing trainees with a one-on-one trainer who will work with them for as long as it takes for the trainee to become consistent in the sales aspect. Again, day trips are intended to be a fun alternative to the typical working day and are not a requirement. Employees are recognized on a daily basis for performance in areas such as sales, team building, training, and going above and beyond employee expectations. When turnover occurs in the company, it is not typically publicized nor is it purposefully kept undisclosed. The purpose of the morning meetings is almost entirely based on recognizing the high performance of company employees. It serves to be an exciting opportunity to applaud individual and team performances as well as learn from their accomplishments. We appreciate the time that you took to provide feedback on our company. Overall, it is my hope that our company was able to provide you with an experience that will, in one way or another, accommodate all of your future endeavors.

8. "Scam"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, CA

Pros

The employees are nice and are always trying to include new team members in bonding activities. The employees are a tight-knit group.

Cons

There is no base salary--solely commission. After I left, they told me I "completed paperwork incorrectly" and would not pay me the commission I earned. You use your own gas, phone, etc., and get sent all over the state to sell door-to-door products. They also make you hang out with the work crew after work multiple times a week for "team bonding." The hours are brutal, as well. I worked 8-6 every day, and if you don't make a sale, you don't get paid. I would never recommend this employer.

Coastline Business Strategies2014-01-07

March 26, 2014Manager

Our company offers a performance-based compensation structure. There are two options available for employees upon hire: base salary plus commission with a quota or commission pay plus client bonuses. As “performance-based” entails, employees are paid based on how they perform at the sales level. Compensation is discussed as early as the first interview and spelled out in a hand-out on the second interview. In regards to paperwork incompletion, there are certain requirements that a sale must meet in order to be processed properly. These basic requirements are discussed beginning day one of training and all throughout the training process. A company vehicle and phone are not provided through our company. However, a bonus structure for high performance is available on a weekly basis. For even a standard level of performance, individuals are provided with a sufficient bonus to offset travel expenses. Also, any miles driven for work purposes are tax deductible. Lastly, it is not a requirement of our employees to provide their own vehicle nor their own cell phone. Our employees manage their own territories throughout the Richmond area. Typically, territories are assigned within a 10-15 mile radius of the main Glen Allen location. Territories that exceed a one hour commute are optional. In regards to “door-to-door products,” our clients do not allow us to represent their services in a “door-to-door” fashion. We work with our clients strictly in a business setting. Spending time outside of work is both great for networking as well as building relationships with coworkers. This time is not a requirement, although it is certainly encouraged. Our hours are 8-5:30 P.M. Monday-Friday. Our company does not require employees to work outside of these parameters. To reiterate the point of compensation, our company offers a performance-based compensation structure where employees are paid based on how they perform at the sales level. We thank you for the time you took to provide feedback and apologize that you were not completely satisfied with our company.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews