Coats North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Paul Forman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great place to work good benefits"

Current Employee - Operator in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Marion, NC

I have been working at Coats North America (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay .good supervision.reliable work

Cons

supervision changes at the drop of a hat not always a good thing.

Advice to Management

learn to recognize the employees that go above and beyond and always give 100%

"Plant Scheduler"

Current Employee - Plant Scheduler in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Plant Scheduler in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Coats North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Friendly co-workers
    clean place to work

Cons

don't have anything bad to say

Advice to Management

Tell employees they are appreciated and doing a good job

3. "Crafts Division - lack of leadership/just holding on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good location in South Charlotte. Attractive interior with lots of natural light.

Cons

Top executives milking the company with fat salaries, pensions, bonuses, generous car allowances and other perks while paying others meager salaries way below average. They are holding on for the ride for as long as possible while the division is adrift.

Advice to Management

Top management is the primary problem with questionable fiscal accountability and ethics. Attitudes reminiscent of Mad Men era. Lack of creativity and vision as to how to grow the business - questionable as to whether the goal is to grow the business?

4. "Good place to work ... getting better"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Coats North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company history and great brands. Big enough to be solid (somewhere around 1.5 Billion in revenues) but not so big you get lost. Good work life balance but that seems to depend on the area you work in.

They like to promote from within and there are several areas of the company that you can move between. It seems like lots of people do that.

I'm newer but I like what I've seen from the leadership. New CEO of the Crafts Division has been in about a year and that organization feels like it's improving. I've liked what I've seen and heard. I usually use the "Am I happy to get up and go to work in the morning or do I have a pit in my stomach?" test and I have to say that I'm enjoying what I do and feel good when I go to work in the morning. It's not all roses but It's much better than many places I've worked. There are some politics as others have mentioned but it feels like they are trying to change that. That said there is always people on both side of change and not everyone is happy about it.

Both the CEO for Crafts and Industrial seem very smart and capable. They have both been with the company a long time and been promoted several times from within. I think that says a lot about the company. The people are the best part of the company in my opinion. Most are super nice and seem like they love what they do. I also really like the CEO of the group (Coats PLC). I like the focus on the companies 3 goals and 5 principals. 1) Profitable Sales Growth 2) Increased Productivity 3) positive Teamwork. 5 Principals - Customer led innovation 2) openness and Honesty 3) Delivery (Keeping our Promises) 4) Energy for Change 5) Freedom to Operate. They push this and you are even encouraged to learn them by memory as the CEO might call on you in a meeting to recite them. At first it was a little scary but I like the emphasis they put on knowing and living the goals and principals. Nice office in south Charlotte.

Cons

They are slow. They are trying to change that but it's tough in a company of 20,000 employees and across multiple countries and cultures. They are going through a transition from where they were (other reviews give their opinions on that so I'll skip it) to where they want to be. That transition is tough as obviously there are people and cultural habits that cause that and it's hard to change. Any time you make a change in the culture of an organization you have people who are unhappy about it (since they created it and are used to it) and it can make for some tense situations. I think that will clear up soon if they stay the course. They seem dedicated to improving and providing clarity on objectives.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing focus on culture. I think there is some fresh emphasis on making it a better place to work and I feel like it's working but it might be easy to fall back into the old way of doing things.

"Stuck in the past"

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Coats North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice co-workers below mgmt level

Cons

Mgmt is totally stuck in the past, very conservative, very quiet office atmosphere, they like complete silence and organization in the office, mgmt is back-stabbing and very unprofessional, totally illegal in the questions sr. mgmt asks during job interviews, not GLBT friendly at all which is very strange given that they want to be a "creative" company

Advice to Management

come into the 21st century, listen to "the worker bees" who know a lot more about business than the mgmt, lighten up the office environment - it's not a sterile operating room with life or death happening!

"Unfulfilled"

Former Employee - SAP Warehouse Management Systems Lead Specialist in Marion, NC

I worked at Coats North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers were awesome. Overall work environment was ok.....Work schedule was acceptable and job was challenging enough to make the hours pass quickly.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement and below average pay...Hard work rarely recognized or rewarded. Training practically non-existent... Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Micromanaging was a major negative about this place....constant power struggles in middle management ...could be frustrating for employees to gauge what was expected from them from day to day....

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who are doing the jobs every day instead of "experts" who know very little about the process that they implement or control. A little common sense goes a long way...If it isn't broke don't fix it until it is....

"Politics, back-stabbing, power struggles within different divisions and operations make this a very hard place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

heritage, leader in certain categories, industrial division innovative

Cons

poor leadership from the top down, very conservative atmosphere, very quiet office, dominated by old white men

"Smallish UK-based company in southern Charlotte"

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The professional jobs at Coats are usually undertaken in a fairly reduced stress manner. The staff isn't large enough to have too much second guessing going on. Managers often have a large component of their job responsibilities that are other than personnel management, so many times, the individual is left alone to do what needs to be done. There are a lot of friendly people that work at Coats, and they make you feel "at home" with little parties and things like that. At the headquarters, there's free covered parking that's close to the building, and it's near a few places to eat lunch. If you're on the south side of Charlotte, it's easier to get to than something uptown; just off of 485.

Cons

The physical working environment might seem distracting to some because of the cubicle choice: it's all chest or waist high cube walls as far as the eye can see. This results in hearing six to eight people as they make or take their phone calls. So you need to bring your cell phone and find a secluded spot if you need to chat with your doctor or whatever you don't want your co-workers to hear. It's still a bit of a "patchwork" company, since several companies were bought and joined together. For instance the needle crafts and the industrial thread businesses are really are not very much like each other, so it's hard to generalize across the board. But even within the industrial thread business, there are remnants of the separate companies assembled to make what is now that business.

Advice to Management

Send every personnel manager to professional manager training, and take-up the processes and procedures from that training into the company to be used regularly.

"salaried"

I worked at Coats North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary listed for the year of 2002.

Cons

Worked lots of overtime the entire year..

Advice to Management

More staff needed to do all the work assigned.

10. "Senior Accountant"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Work/life balance was non-existent