Cobb County School District Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cobb County School District Interim Superintendent Chris Ragsdale
Chris Ragsdale

Pros
  • The best thing about Cobb is the amount of free professional development they offer (in 6 reviews)

• time off, friendly staff, great working with kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • no promotion opportunities, low pay, does not promote or encourage new ideas (in 6 reviews)

• Increasing class sizes, too many special education students per classroom (I question the legality of the ratio of students with IEPs in one gen (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not the worst job I've had, but not worth the little pay for all the paperwork"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortunately had a really great principal to work for!

Cons

Too much paperwork and meetings for what you get paid.

2. "Teacher"

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schools are decently funded, materials are readily available to teachers.

Cons

Too much un-checked power give to administrators, you're evaluated based on popularity - not your actual skills or ability.

Advice to Management

Watch your more affluent schools closely - they are creating their own goals that don't match the message & vision you set forth for the county.

3. "Fulton County School System is Better"

Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since I live close to where I work, the short commute is an advantage. I like the kids here, and the majority of the parents at my school are very supportive. I have the best co-workers. They are some of the most hard-working, smart, and creative people I've ever met.

Cons

The class sizes are too large, we rarely get to use our planning time to plan, because we are always in meetings. We do a tremendous amount of paperwork and have professional development that does nothing to benefit the students. We don't get paid for sponsoring clubs which take up our time before school and on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Adjust the Middle school hours earlier. Have content specialists at the county level dedicated specifically to middle school. Math and Language Arts have their curriculum laid out for them. Do that for Reading, Science, and Social Sudies while including the materials we need to implement the curriculum. Lower the class sizes, please!

5. "Taught there for four years"

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent teacher professional learning program. Teachers were always trained on the most current strategies and educational programs. Excellent teacher support in the school system.

Cons

I was very pleased with the Cobb County School District during my tenure there. I have no cons to submit for review.

6. "Large District"

Pros

This varies by the school; however, the district as a whole prioritizes teachers and tries to accommodate in any way possible.

Cons

This is a large district, so there is a lot of different clientele and expectations depending on what part of the county you are in.

7. "Supervisor position"

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time

Pros

Collaborative team of dedicated professionals. Excellent quality administrators and teachers.

Cons

District leadership should more closely reflect the diversity of the district.

8. "Don't trust HR"

Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay & insurance is excellent.

Cons

If you are harassed, Do NOT trust HR. They are not trained & WILL victim blame.

Advice to Management

Hire investigators who are better trained & have a psychologist background to understand victims of harassment.

9. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor/Assistant ASP Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor/Assistant ASP Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District part-time

Pros

Love the kids and the atmosphere
    Mon-Fri

Cons

Part-time
    No benefits

10. "Rewarding Employment"

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time

Pros

work schedule and hours, summers off and holiday breaks; working with children is rewarding and can be a lot of fun; great coworkers

Cons

Because of the shortage of available substitute teachers, paraprofessionals sometimes must fill in as classroom teachers. This can be difficult at times and you find out that day that you have to cover for a classroom instead of doing your regular duties; pay is low overall but considering the work schedule, I think it is appropriate.

11. "Excellent employer"

I have been working at Cobb County School District part-time

Pros

I love working for the school district, and it is definitely one of the best districts in the state as far as how they treat their employees.

Cons

One major benefit is the lack of benefits for part-time employees. This is something that is common in other industries. In Cobb, Wellstar is a major employer, and they offer benefits to all regular employees. Additionally, tuition reimbursement is something we're all longing for.