Cobb County School District Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Cobb County School District Interim Superintendent Chris Ragsdale
Chris Ragsdale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The best thing about Cobb is the amount of free professional development they offer (in 6 reviews)

• time off, friendly staff, great working with kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of support from administration (in 4 reviews)

• no promotion opportunities, low pay, does not promote or encourage new ideas (in 6 reviews)

1. "Paraprofessional"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are very friendly and collaboratively. The county is very informative. The supervisors are always willing to help. Human Resources is very punctual and knowledgeable about county policies.

Cons

Administration can sometimes be unpredictable. Don't know if your job is necessarily guaranteed for the next school year. The pay is lesser than other counties.

2. "Leadership with a Vision"

Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have a vision.

Cons

The vision is not being implemented effectively in all parts of the county do to building leadership.

Advice to Management

Do a system wide book study on Together is Better by Simon Sinek. An easy read that can help building leaders.

3. "High School Teacher"

Current Employee - High School Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Teacher

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great school leadership, supportive coworkers, lots of motivated students, great parents. Great salary and benefits, compared to others in teaching field a anyways. Fair daily schedule.

Cons

Too many students looking to shortcut their way through learning. Students with drug/alcohol problems.

Advice to Management

Look for effective ways to keep good new teachers around for the long haul.

4. "Not the worst job I've had, but not worth the little pay for all the paperwork"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortunately had a really great principal to work for!

Cons

Too much paperwork and meetings for what you get paid.

5. "Supervisor position"

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time

Pros

Collaborative team of dedicated professionals. Excellent quality administrators and teachers.

Cons

District leadership should more closely reflect the diversity of the district.

6. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor/Assistant ASP Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor/Assistant ASP Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District part-time

Pros

Love the kids and the atmosphere
    Mon-Fri

Cons

Part-time
    No benefits

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about being a teacher is always the students. I work in a Title 1 school in the county, and it's very different from other parts of the county.

Cons

Lots of paperwork and useless meetings. My end of the county gets treated like less than the wealthier side. Have to beg to get any time off to go to the doctors or other personal business.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers like professional adults. Provide more time for planning and preparing for students and less ridiculous meetings.

8. "Special Education Para Professional"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Cobb County School District as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great Health Care and Plenty of time off

Cons

Pay isn't the best salaries could be increased.

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, GA

Pros

I have worked in Kindergarten for 10 1/2 years and this is my first year in first grade. I love working with young children. I work in a title one school and work with a variety of learning types, and I find it to be so gratifying to find what makes each child feel successful in school. One of the greatest joys I find in teaching is many of my students come from Spanish-speaking countries, and I love learning Spanish from them, and they learn English from me. My students love to giggle at me when I do not say something correctly. They love to learn that adults are not perfect. My passion is teaching reading through writing. If a student can write it, then they can read it. Teaching students to use difficult vocabulary and discovering how intelligent they are for learning to use that vocabulary correctly is greatly rewarding to me. I enjoy teaching to have confidence in themselves and to learn to believe that they can achieve success with time and practice and every little step is a victory in life.

Cons

Programs that we are taught at the beginning of the year are obsolete at the end of the year just when we finally have a grasp on exactly what to do with our students to ensure success.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers. We are in the field and we know our students and what they need. A new computer program or book series created by a corporation is not a fix all.

"Current Classroom Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA

Pros

Cobb county is a good district to work for. Of course, your experience will be different based on what school you are at. However, the district is so large so there is always the option to transfer to a different school if you are looking for a different level, area, etc. The best thing about Cobb is the amount of free professional development they offer. You can study language, ESOL, gifted, etc for free.

Cons

Because it is a larger district sometimes it is harder to get something done at the county level.
    Every year there are new 'ideas' that get pushed down to the teacher that we have to do. But I feel this is something that occurs in every district.