Cochise Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Facility Service Tech III in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Facility Service Tech III in Douglas, AZ

Pros

Security, great people, and great environment . Great job to have. Easy to work with. Can’t say anything more about Cochise College.

Cons

Don’t have anything bad to say. It’s always a positive environment. Never have any bad moments. Worst I can say is probably early hours but you get use to that.

2. "It is an OK place to work"

Pros

Their working hours are very flexible.
    All the staff that work there are very friendly and always willing to help

Cons

The salary is very low and the amount of working hours do not make up with what you are being compensating every paycheck.
    Too much bureaucracy and silly rules to follow.

3. "Demoralizing place to work, unless you are on the privileged campuses"

Current Employee - Teacher in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice landscaping, for full-time teachers and administration, pay is fairly good for the area

Cons

The southern campuses that serve more of the female and minority students are given nothing even close to the same equipment or funding that their main campuses to the north are given. Our opinions are ignored, equipment is outdated, internet is unreliable at the best of times. It is demoralizing not to be in on the main campus.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen, but maybe they should listen to the opinions, needs, and ideas from people who are not at their location. Resources are needed, the classroom equipment is literally an embarrassment. We used to have a far more robust social network, but the spirit is truly broken now. Was that what was desired, from the start?

4. "Growing Negativity - Depressing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Services in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Services in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Once you have built a relationship with colleagues, they are very kind and very helpful and supportive of each other. The benefit package is quite good also.

Cons

This has become a very depressing and uninspiring place to work. It used to be a positive place full of life. Employees were energized and wanted to give their "all." Now, most employees express a BIG fear of job stability and most agree the the current administration is continually secretive about the direction the college is going. The senior administration holds employee forums in order to share information, but very little actual information is given.

Staff who are at a status under a Dean level are rarely informed in advance about important changes and also changes that are going to directly affect their job. Whole departments and degree programs have been moved to another campus and we have seen a huge drop in activity on the oldest campus in the district. We are wondering if the campus will close, but we never hear anything about what's going on. We're left to speculate and wonder and fear that we won't have our jobs...possible soon...but there's no way to know.

Furthermore, the current administration speaks of how important the employees are, but their actions do not reflect this. Many agree that we are left in the dark and treated like a disposable object. We do not feel valued. Again, we hear the words, but we don't experience this great support of us that is spoken about.

Employees who used to have great enthusiasm and motivation now speak of how they are just waiting it out until their retirement and are in a mode of just collecting a paycheck now. Just do the minimum required and get through the days. That's the new way of functioning at this organization.

Advice to Management

Your actions do not reflect your words. Period.

5. "ITV Technician"

Former Employee - Interactive Television Technician in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Interactive Television Technician in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Cochise Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personnel extremely friendly. Low stress atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of ingenuity. No progress from old school mentality.

Advice to Management

Be willing to move forward with newer aged thinking. Old habits need to be reviewed and revitalized.

6. "Associate Professor"

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Cochise Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, ability to try new teaching methods with little or no supervision

Cons

students are unmotivated and do just the minimum required / pay scale also keeps teachers unmotivated and do just the minimum required

"Senior Administration completely out of touch"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generous holiday and vacation schedule.

Cons

Senior administration has consistently shown a pattern of not listening to those 'in the trenches'. Many good ideas from quality employees fall on deaf ears. By encouraging a culture of fear, employees are afraid to speak out for fear of retribution. It is obvious the president is using his tenure here to pad his resume so he can get a better job elsewhere. There is no humanity in our human resource department.

Advice to Management

Quit being so arrogant; listen to your employees; treat employees like the valuable resource they are.

"More interest in technology than teaching"

Current Employee - Instructor in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Instructor in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good for this area of Arizona. Employees are generally nice, and most are trying to help students despite our limitations.

Cons

Administration wants money, they don't care about education. Credit hour inflation (requiring more to earn the same academic goal) that is fully approved by the administration is highway robbery (requiring up to 4 times the "old" credit hours just to begin taking college level classes is legally questionable, as well). Be in Sierra Vista and you'll have resources. Be anywhere else and you will be treated like you simply don't matter, along with your students. The inequity is getting worse every year.

"Not a great place to work"

Pros

Lots of days off don't have to work hard cause no one really cares. Government retirement if you work there long enough and reasonable benefits.

Cons

Very poor leadership which is totally out of touch with the rest of the staff. One only needs to look at some of the other reviews here to realize that there others who feel the same. High turnover and low pay with no chance for advancement. There has been no real pay raise for staff in the fiver years that I have been here. Staff leave for higher pay only to find that those hired for the vacated position are hired at a higher pay than they had when they left. There is no valid grievance policy that protects employee 's.

Management governs by intimidation and projects the attitude that you can always leave. Since all employee 's are under contracts which are renewed each year we are always aware that if we don't toe the line our contract may not be renewed and we may be out of a job.

Advice to Management

I really have no advice. I believe that any advice would fall on deaf ears.

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generous paid time off for FT staff

Cons

High turnover now because it is not employee friendly

Advice to Management

Change your approach to how the staff is treated if you want to keep good employees.