Cochise Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "ITV Technician"

Former Employee - Interactive Television Technician in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Interactive Television Technician in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Cochise Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personnel extremely friendly. Low stress atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of ingenuity. No progress from old school mentality.

Advice to Management

Be willing to move forward with newer aged thinking. Old habits need to be reviewed and revitalized.

2. "Growing Negativity - Depressing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Services in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Services in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Once you have built a relationship with colleagues, they are very kind and very helpful and supportive of each other. The benefit package is quite good also.

Cons

This has become a very depressing and uninspiring place to work. It used to be a positive place full of life. Employees were energized and wanted to give their "all." Now, most employees express a BIG fear of job stability and most agree the the current administration is continually secretive about the direction the college is going. The senior administration holds employee forums in order to share information, but very little actual information is given.

Staff who are at a status under a Dean level are rarely informed in advance about important changes and also changes that are going to directly affect their job. Whole departments and degree programs have been moved to another campus and we have seen a huge drop in activity on the oldest campus in the district. We are wondering if the campus will close, but we never hear anything about what's going on. We're left to speculate and wonder and fear that we won't have our jobs...possible soon...but there's no way to know.

Furthermore, the current administration speaks of how important the employees are, but their actions do not reflect this. Many agree that we are left in the dark and treated like a disposable object. We do not feel valued. Again, we hear the words, but we don't experience this great support of us that is spoken about.

Employees who used to have great enthusiasm and motivation now speak of how they are just waiting it out until their retirement and are in a mode of just collecting a paycheck now. Just do the minimum required and get through the days. That's the new way of functioning at this organization.

Advice to Management

Your actions do not reflect your words. Period.

3. "Associate Professor"

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Cochise Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, ability to try new teaching methods with little or no supervision

Cons

students are unmotivated and do just the minimum required / pay scale also keeps teachers unmotivated and do just the minimum required

"More interest in technology than teaching"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good for this area of Arizona. Employees are generally nice, and most are trying to help students despite our limitations.

Cons

Administration wants money, they don't care about education. Credit hour inflation (requiring more to earn the same academic goal) that is fully approved by the administration is highway robbery (requiring up to 4 times the "old" credit hours just to begin taking college level classes is legally questionable, as well). Be in Sierra Vista and you'll have resources. Be anywhere else and you will be treated like you simply don't matter, along with your students. The inequity is getting worse every year.

"A New Culture of Fear"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The college has a great history of service to the community. Many lives have been changed for the better as students receive some high-quality education from caring instructors and extensive help from caring advisers and other staff. The pay is competitive, and benefits are fine.

Cons

I have to share the view of other employee reviewers who have expressed deep dissatisfaction with the new senior administration, which has done much to establish a culture of fear. Decisions are made top down with little consideration of how they will affect those who actually deal with the consequences of those decisions. Faculty and staff are intimidated, fearing reprisal if they speak out. Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism are rife. Perhaps most disturbing, hiring often blatantly seems based upon religious affiliation.

Advice to Management

Consider the damage you are doing to morale at the college. Are any benefits you receive from any of your actions worth causing this kind of damage?

7. "Current management and college goals are destroying a college I once loved"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The past, all real benefits today are that the current administration isn't around much

Cons

The current administration is everything other recent reviewers have said, as far as being an employee there goes. I have been at the college many, many years and I cannot believe the harm the current administration has done.

But as far as academic standards go, no one cares that no one is really learning, it's incredible to me that a department and a school can go from such academic standards and student-oriented instruction to a system of clear favoritism in job opportunities and direction.

I know money is a problem. But we forget our primary job is still academics, and construction and technology cannot replace small class sizes and teachers who are being supported by administration.

Advice to Management

None, they would never listen or care. They have what they want.

"New Management Brought Moral WAY Down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work with very nice people. Benefits are pretty good. Generous vacation/sick time.

Cons

The new administration brought an environment of fear and mistrust. This used to be a great place to work, but it doesn't feel that way anymore. If you are mid-level management and below, you are treated like a number. Most people that I work with used to give it 110% and take pride in their work, but not anymore. Now, 90% of the employees that I talk to say that they feel disrespected by management have lost their enthusiasm and motivation to do good work. We don't feel valued or appreciated at all and do just the minimum required work -- enough to hopefully stay out of the radar of senior management. If the senior staff was honest about how they feel, they would probably say, "Too bad...if you don't like it, then leave." I think this is going to get worse over time (It already has gotten a lot worse over the past 2 years). We're always looking over our shoulders now, worried that the smallest infraction will get reported and we'll be blacklisted for good. This negativity will likely trickle-down to the students in time.

Advice to Management

Sadly, I know that no advice I give is going to matter with this administration. Treat people with respect. Value them, or they aren't going to give their best.

9. "Proud to teach here."

Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Sierra Vista, AZ

Pros

Flexibility with my schedule.
    Positive attitude of other employees and students.
    If you need something, the college will provide it- even for PT employees.
    Continual, constructive feedback on performance.

Cons

It is difficult to get a job here. You have to know someone and/or be very assertive with introducing yourself to get in.

Advice to Management

Saving money is important, especially with the funding cutbacks, but please consider that hiring more FT faculty might actually save more than having a majority of PT faculty. Plus, it gives continuity for the students.

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generous paid time off for FT staff

Cons

High turnover now because it is not employee friendly

Advice to Management

Change your approach to how the staff is treated if you want to keep good employees.

"Senior Administration completely out of touch"

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generous holiday and vacation schedule.

Cons

Senior administration has consistently shown a pattern of not listening to those 'in the trenches'. Many good ideas from quality employees fall on deaf ears. By encouraging a culture of fear, employees are afraid to speak out for fear of retribution. It is obvious the president is using his tenure here to pad his resume so he can get a better job elsewhere. There is no humanity in our human resource department.

Advice to Management

Quit being so arrogant; listen to your employees; treat employees like the valuable resource they are.