Code 42 Reviews | Glassdoor

Joe Payne

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of ownership opportunities as we are growing so rapidly, each employee really has a chance to carve out their role in the organization and own a bigger role if they so choose

Cons

Rapid growth can be scary for some, as things are constantly moving and changing. I happen to like it, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the all-hands and the transparency, it makes us feel empowered and aware of the bigger picture, as well as collectively focused on the north star.

"Promises promises"

I worked at Code 42 full-time

Pros

At first you were part of the family...

Cons

Growth with no regard for employees wellbeing

3. "It sucks"

I worked at Code 42 full-time

Pros

None I was not a good place to work

Cons

Lots to many to list

"The right place for me"

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't begin to list all of the best reasons to work for Code42. There are just too many. What I can write is how much I love this company; I love the people, especially the leadership. The leaders lead with their heart, they have values that have real meaning and allow me to grow and change right along side of them. We are all working on being bettter versions of ourselves and this company encourages an environment of support to practice in and mess up in without worry. A place to experiment, to learn, to change and to still be me. Code42 is not perfect because humans work here. We all have flaws and bad days, but, when there is a community of people to encourage you, there's no better feeling. The success of the company is held in the employees hands and we all strive to win together. We also do a lot of really cool innovative things, solve real problems for our customers and have fun. Like I said, there's too much to list.

Cons

The cons I have to share are that this website (Glassdoor) became a place where people went to vent or post concerns. That's not the best way to make change happen. My advice would be to the employees to go to the people and address concerns face to face... there are the best people at the company and I'd guess they were not given the chance to fix the problems.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. The CEO is the best leader I've seen and if people don't know that, get them closer to him. He's a compassionate and strong business leader and I'm proud to be on his team.

6. "Remote"

I have been working at Code 42 full-time

Pros

Rewarding to represent a solution that improves IT process

Cons

A little behind pace with Product Development

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but faster!

"Really positive experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Working in cutting edge technology (react, redux, immutable), Team is open and responsive to suggestions, strong team dynamics. Their agile implementation is among the best I've seen. Every sprint is actually planned. Work is road mapped out for several sprints. Stories generally have as much or more information than I need.

Cons

No real WFH policy. Can WFH periodically but it's not really encouraged. Other than that, I'll add some filler text to hit the 20 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. Makes it a lot easier to show up to work every day knowing the people I work with are intelligent & thoughtful; where knowledge sharing is frequent and designed to lift all boats.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great Perks (Sports Teams, Snacks & beverages, Benefits). Really great and fun place to work. Some smart and intelligent individuals.

Cons

I dont think I really have any.

Code 42 Response

Oct 16, 2016 – Director, Employee Relations

Hey Code42-er, Thanks for the great review. We are happy to have you on the team and your tenure and experience at the company speaks volumes. Your feedback and suggestions are always welcome ... More

"Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great culture, fast-paced, many opportunities for a hardworking employee.

Cons

I learned a lot but there is much to accomplish in a small period of time which sometimes makes work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Management

Kudos for getting rid of employees who value free coffee, beer and food above all else.

"Results Driven, Passionate & Talented People"

Pros

Company and individual objectives are very clear, and everyone is engaged on achieving them. No one has a big ego or independent agenda, but the management team works well together to encourage everyone working towards common goals. Onboarding and initial training is very good.

Cons

Being in an environment that is very focused and driven can be overwhelming if you aren't use to it, especially when there is a lot of company and business specific knowledge you need to absorb in a small account of time.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus you've built and empower people to challenge and improve the process and the products. Make sure bonus objectives are clear to new hires.

11. "Great culture, misguided product direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely nice people. You won't find a group of people who are more eager to help you in any way possible. If you are working at HQ, then the environment is super nice. Field sales have good benefits too. CrashPlan works very well. It is reliable product with few bugs and great QA.

Cons

There has been a great amount of turnover in the past year. They say it is because of new CEO, but really a lot of sales people were not making their quota and left. Also the CEO, CTO and COO quit. I think the ex CEO is still on the BofD. CrashPlan is a product that depends on laptops still being bought by companies, which is not really a great bet for the future.

Advice to Management

Diversify the product portfolio. Use your talent pool of engineers to develop something interesting and valuable.

Code 42 Response

Aug 16, 2016 – Director, Employee Relations

Hello Former Code42-er, Thank you for the feedback and recommendation. Regarding your feedback on company outlook - Industries, products, and markets change. The needs of customers change, and ... More