Code 42 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Payne

"The right place for me"

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't begin to list all of the best reasons to work for Code42. There are just too many. What I can write is how much I love this company; I love the people, especially the leadership. The leaders lead with their heart, they have values that have real meaning and allow me to grow and change right along side of them. We are all working on being bettter versions of ourselves and this company encourages an environment of support to practice in and mess up in without worry. A place to experiment, to learn, to change and to still be me. Code42 is not perfect because humans work here. We all have flaws and bad days, but, when there is a community of people to encourage you, there's no better feeling. The success of the company is held in the employees hands and we all strive to win together. We also do a lot of really cool innovative things, solve real problems for our customers and have fun. Like I said, there's too much to list.

Cons

The cons I have to share are that this website (Glassdoor) became a place where people went to vent or post concerns. That's not the best way to make change happen. My advice would be to the employees to go to the people and address concerns face to face... there are the best people at the company and I'd guess they were not given the chance to fix the problems.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. The CEO is the best leader I've seen and if people don't know that, get them closer to him. He's a compassionate and strong business leader and I'm proud to be on his team.

2. "Remote"

I have been working at Code 42 full-time

Pros

Rewarding to represent a solution that improves IT process

Cons

A little behind pace with Product Development

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but faster!

"Really positive experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Working in cutting edge technology (react, redux, immutable), Team is open and responsive to suggestions, strong team dynamics. Their agile implementation is among the best I've seen. Every sprint is actually planned. Work is road mapped out for several sprints. Stories generally have as much or more information than I need.

Cons

No real WFH policy. Can WFH periodically but it's not really encouraged. Other than that, I'll add some filler text to hit the 20 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. Makes it a lot easier to show up to work every day knowing the people I work with are intelligent & thoughtful; where knowledge sharing is frequent and designed to lift all boats.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great Perks (Sports Teams, Snacks & beverages, Benefits). Really great and fun place to work. Some smart and intelligent individuals.

Cons

I dont think I really have any.

Oct 16, 2016 – Director, Employee Relations

Hey Code42-er, Thanks for the great review. We are happy to have you on the team and your tenure and experience at the company speaks volumes. Your feedback and suggestions are always welcome ... More

"Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great culture, fast-paced, many opportunities for a hardworking employee.

Cons

I learned a lot but there is much to accomplish in a small period of time which sometimes makes work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Management

Kudos for getting rid of employees who value free coffee, beer and food above all else.

"Results Driven, Passionate & Talented People"

Pros

Company and individual objectives are very clear, and everyone is engaged on achieving them. No one has a big ego or independent agenda, but the management team works well together to encourage everyone working towards common goals. Onboarding and initial training is very good.

Cons

Being in an environment that is very focused and driven can be overwhelming if you aren't use to it, especially when there is a lot of company and business specific knowledge you need to absorb in a small account of time.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus you've built and empower people to challenge and improve the process and the products. Make sure bonus objectives are clear to new hires.

8. "Great culture, misguided product direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely nice people. You won't find a group of people who are more eager to help you in any way possible. If you are working at HQ, then the environment is super nice. Field sales have good benefits too. CrashPlan works very well. It is reliable product with few bugs and great QA.

Cons

There has been a great amount of turnover in the past year. They say it is because of new CEO, but really a lot of sales people were not making their quota and left. Also the CEO, CTO and COO quit. I think the ex CEO is still on the BofD. CrashPlan is a product that depends on laptops still being bought by companies, which is not really a great bet for the future.

Advice to Management

Diversify the product portfolio. Use your talent pool of engineers to develop something interesting and valuable.

Aug 16, 2016 – Director, Employee Relations

Hello Former Code42-er, Thank you for the feedback and recommendation. Regarding your feedback on company outlook - Industries, products, and markets change. The needs of customers change, and ... More

"After lots of change - Stable"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Renewed vision. Headed in the right direction. Transitioning from a start-up type company into a mature company. Many time momentous change causes some to the old way of doing business, but you have to adapt to stay relevant.

Cons

Change can be tough for many and it's not for everyone. If you are looking to work at a place where your job title won't change and you can plug away doing the same thing, this is not the place you want to be.

Advice to Management

Commit to world-class processes/procedures and continue to make the tough short-term calls for the long-term benefits. Not everyone will be happy, but forward movement is necessary to remain a player in this business.

"More Ups than Downs"

I have been working at Code 42 full-time

Pros

Small perks (free snacks, coffee, and other beverages), good benefits. Managers (at least in my department) truly care about their employees and their contentment. Work-life balance.

Cons

Pay seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum.

"Great New Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Crashplan is a great product, management is supportive and efficient, the general attitude is friendly and upbeat. I've only been here a few months, but am very happy I made the move.

Cons

It's a small company, so if you're used to a big corporate environment, you might have to get used to being more flexible and doing more than one role. Depending on how you look at it, that could be a pro.

Jul 15, 2016 – Director, Employee Relations

Hey Fellow Code42-er! Thanks for the great review! We are excited to have you on the team. Your positive outlook is so valuable for the team and it is commended. We look forward to achieving great ... More