Code and Theory 65 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Gardner and Brandon Ralph

Pros
  • Talented people, great office, great projects (in 7 reviews)

• Great office location, dog-friendly, snacks (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Certainly long hours of intense work, especially for visual designers and producers (but are compensated for non-managers (in 13 reviews)

• Agree with several of the other reviews here: total bro club in upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Horrid Management"

Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few Good Men left here

Cons

Management expects us to work through lunch, after hours and on the weekends.
    Management makes us pay for our hotels when we travel to clients out of town otherwise we are expected to return back via train the same day and show up to work the next day even if the travel was states away

Advice to Management

Management is Horrid. They expense their own lunches all the time but make the rest of us pay for out of town travel and hotel nights stays that are work related. Management only cares about makes the most money and using whomever they can. They say they have no management but management is the high level people they have have operating the premises.

2. "Bad management"

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly talented teams, dogs in the office, good location. Regular sharing sessions to showcase teams work to the whole studio.

Cons

Micro management and bro culture is seen as the way to get great work from people. They've done some great work over the years but the currently it's boring and lacks all the challenges they were known for solving. Treat staff as assets rather than people, which leads to lack of culture.

Advice to Management

Let your staff shine, they're not going to grow and feel satisfied if you don't give them the opportunity. Look for genuine diversity in your management teams to start to eliminate the toxic bro culture

3. "Boring work"

Pros

People are nice, fairly flat hierarchy

Cons

Boring work and no challenges

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

Some real creative talent, some great clients, good location and dogs.

Cons

Maniacal leadership that care only about how good they look and not about how they treat their teams. Lack of management experience at the top only filters down to breed chaos below and burns the best talent out.

Advice to Management

Take the occassional look at yourselves rather than for the nearest bus to throw others under.

"Terrible management"

I worked at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

They are all creative and supportive. Dogs are lovely... and welcomed.

Cons

Hours are long and unpredictable, but that's what agency is. A lot of judgements are going on everyday. You cannot make any mistake or error on anything. You won't get a second opportunity to do tasks without any notice. The company gives opportunities to young mid-level creatives to be a manager. Some do their jobs very well, but some don't. They take away all junior levels' interests of their jobs, and feel frustrated from entry-level creatives.

Advice to Management

Before you give opportunities to unready, young mid-level creatives to be a manger, tell them what managers' role is. Managers are not there to micromanage their people. Those micromanagements make people feel anxious and go crazy. Each department mangers, of course, is not aware of it. They don't have time to take care of entry-level creatives. Entry-level creatives leave without any saying. Management should be organized. If entry-level people learn this way, they would do the same in the future.

"Intern review"

Pros

the people are smart and they challenge you, positive environment, learned a lot

Cons

didn't feel like I had a huge opportunity to dip my toes in other departments

8. "Still at the vanguard of digital design"

Current Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Code and Theory has established itself as a premier digital design agency in New York and continues to prove why it belongs among the elite. The agency is filled with smart, hardworking people that display and prove their chops day in and day out. Always forward thinking, consistently brilliant with design, strategy and development, Code and Theory will expose you to some of the top companies and brands in the world, ensuring that you are working on exceptional projects. My department has been consistently supportive in backing my work and in helping provide opportunities for continued professional growth.

Cons

Like most top-tier agencies, hours are often long and unpredictable. This is not a nine-to-five and no one expects it to be. With the high-profile level of our clientele, there is a small margin for mistakes, errors or lapses in judgement. You need to demonstrate that you are continuously outputting great work.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, it seems that the day-to-day work of the teams becomes more and more detached from management and leadership. As much as possible, I would advise to keep trying to stoke the fire that keeps the Code culture alive and make everybody feel that they're part of the company's evolution together.

9. "Developer"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

The best culture, people, and team I ever worked with. Feels like a family where we have each other's backs' at all costs. I've been working here for quiet some time and even though the company is growing, I feel like the dev team has a solid foundation on inclusivity and respect.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment. Was a challenge in the beginning because I did not have an agency background, but everybody was extremely supportive.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the autonomy and the constant support

10. "Really Smart People and a Fun Environment"

Former Employee - User Experience in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

The people here are crazy smart but always open to listening to other ideas. You'll get to work on a lot of various accounts and projects, teams switch up a lot but it's a great way to make friends and keep learning! The office is rad, feels like you stepped into a speak easy. Partners are fun, they always are cruising around and really involved in the work. Not pretentious at all. Dog-friendly which is huge for stress relief as well as entertainment. A lot of work outings and team-building. Hours are agency hours. Most people come in around 10/10:30 and work a little later but if you work past 8, they'll cover your dinner and ride home which is awesome. Snack time every day...

Cons

The space can be a little crowded because it's grown so much in the past few years. The building can get cold when the air is on. Family plan for insurance is a little pricey.

Advice to Management

These guys are great. Constant check-ins and always involved in the work and processes. Sometimes they let their stress show but they seem to really try to encourage growth and great work.

11. "Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Talented people, great office, great projects

Cons

A little chaotic at times.

Advice to Management

Continue looking out for employee's at all levels.