Coffey Communications, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Coffey

"Small town, big experts"

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time

Pros

A family-owned business (the last in the field) with all the values, standards, and attention to service that comes with that. A place where creativity gets to glow freely, where individuals are taken seriously, where input is valued and talent is supported.

Cons

The location, in rural Eastern Washington, may be an initial scare for potential new hires, who are not used to life in the country. But even if that may look like a con, small-town life (in a great small town!) has its perks! One has to find them--and they are there to find.

Advice to Management

Keep infusing the company with open-minded, courageous individuals who are willing to mix up things and keep the business--and the workforce--on its toes.

"The best of both worlds..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been following the Coffey reviews on Glassdoor for some time. I have taken the stance that the negativity did not dignify a response, but don’t feel that I can maintain that position any longer. In order to balance out the online venting from disaffected, frustrated and vindictive former employees, I wanted to present the picture that I have experienced from many years of working for the Coffey family. I have never had more ethical and generous employers--ever. It is evident that they care deeply about their employees and our clients. They have done a masterful job of staying viable in a very challenging business environment and have done everything in their power to do so in our lovely, small town. I feel blessed to be able to live in a thriving and widely recognized tourist destination and maintain a full life outside of work—I have a number of entertainment options at my fingertips—but I am also lucky to be working for an exciting national-scope company with some very intelligent, creative and welcoming coworkers. There is never a dull moment. If you are looking for meaningful, creative and challenging work in a comfortable, friendly but demanding business environment, this is an excellent place to be. If you take responsibility for the value you can bring to a company, your hard work will be rewarded in a number of ways. If you are looking at any of the great opportunities at Coffey Communications and are considering applying, please do more research than just looking at the purposely destructive reviews posted to this forum.

Cons

No company is perfect, but if you have never worked anywhere else, you may not understand or appreciate what a truly refreshing and unique work environment this is.

Advice to Management

Don’t be distracted by the negativity you see in some of these reviews. Silence on the part of happy employees does not necessarily imply agreement. They might prefer to give you feedback face-to-face, rather than through an anonymous public social channel. Knowing how I’ve been treated (and how the owners treat all employees) these many years, I’m ashamed that there are people who would actively try to destroy the solid and well-deserved reputation of this excellent company that has employed and enriched scores of employees over the last 40 years.

"A talented team with a bright outlook"

Current Employee - --- in Walla Walla, WA
    Current Employee - --- in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coffey Communications brings together talented people from across the country to do meaningful work in the field of healthcare communications. The client list is truly impressive and the people are open and friendly. They are a joy to work with and learn from.

Management has an open-door policy and has shown a great willingness to hear employee ideas. The company’s relatively small size leads to an array of opportunities to wear a variety of hats and learn an array of skills. The company offers profit sharing—definitely a plus, and there is a sense that the company truly does care about the people. Last year saw a number of improvements to the facility, including the additions of floor-to-ceiling windows in the common area. Two years ago, we added space for employee garden plots where we’re able to grow our own vegetables.

There are frequent events—more often than not involving food, some featuring employee’s favorite dishes, some company sponsored (often with a theme involved). We’ve noticed that the events often involve company announcements. Not a bad way to hold company-wide meetings.

Cons

All businesses go through cycles, doing what they can to weather the storms. Key indicators are trending upward and we believe we’ve turned a significant corner. Life is not always easy in the world of business and things don’t always remain the same. Sometimes we need to take an introspective approach, asking ourselves what we can do to help improve the situation at hand. That’s what makes a community, our ability and willingness to pull together.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, moving forward, and expressing a vision of what it will take to get where we are going. We appreciate your efforts at creating a positive environment.

"Stand-out business in this small town"

Pros

This company is full of creative people, whether that's finding new ways to solve client's problems, or designing publications and websites or writing healthcare copy. That creativity is energizing and makes days different from each other, and also go by fast.

Management cares about individuals, not just as cogs in some corporate machine. They take the time to get to know you and find ways to help you succeed. I haven't had that at other jobs. It makes being here so much more than just an 8-5 grind.

Great co-workers, for the most part. Really supportive and if you need help, they'll pitch in to help with a deadline or help brainstorm a client solution.

Cons

If change isn't your thing, you might not like the current company culture. Lots of new clients, changes to infrastructure, changes to staff, so you need to be able to get on board with the changes, quickly. Some people can't take that and they whine. That's a downer, but it will get sorted out.

Advice to Management

In spite of all the change, it can still feel like decisions take a long time in some instances. Stay communicative, and open to hearing from employees. We're not all the whiners. And don't give up on making the changes, they're making an impact.

"Once great, sinking fast..."

Pros

The health care coverage was great. Co-workers were great, if very jaded. Early release Fridays were very nice.

Cons

I was part of the company while they lost 10 of their 12 biggest clients, so you can imagine. The pay was sub-par, even for being in Walla Walla. The culture and feeling of the place was the worst part. When I started It was bright and happy, and everyone was really motivated and driven and had a fire in their belly for success. That was not the case when I left, and from what I hear, it still isn't. I have never walked into another creative shop and been greeted with the atmosphere that is present at Coffey. There are a few people trying to liven the place up, but when you are losing clients it really eats at the rank and file. Middle management went from being diverse and varied across disciplines, to being literally 1 person. 5 positions, given to 1. You can imagine the headache this has caused. They outsourced all of IT from a 3 person operation to an MSP 3 hours away. 90%of the staff writers were either let go or quit...It honestly felt like senior leadership was just tired. No room for advancement when the business itself is shrinking. Maybe a good first job out of college, but not a career type of place.

Advice to Management

The company is one that deals in print publications in the healthcare space. They also do websites, but with a development team of 5 or 6 people, vs 50 on the print side. Healthcare companies are merging, and bringing design and marketing in-house...your market is drying up and you need to re-think what you are doing. Maybe broaden horizons, look outside of just doing Healthcare. You have amazingly talented designers and editors, your web development people are best in class. You have some true Unicorns in your midst and you are wasting their talent and creative energies on rigidly sticking to one niche market that will not sustain.

Also, learn to accept the new ways people work. Embrace the fact that designers and developers can and do work in non standard schedules very effectively. Allow more telecommuting, embrace agile principles and learn to love flexibility. You want to hire the best, you need to do these things because every company on the other side of the mountains is doing this, paying people more, and innovating. You were once a market leader and national powerhouse. I don't think that is possible with the way the world works anymore, but you can at least make it an attractive place to work for 30 or 40 people instead of a mediocre (or worse) place to work for 70-100.

Feb 26, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We would agree that our industry has changed significantly. These changes have affected every company in our competitive space. This is something we have been communicating to the team in various ... More

"Reflecting on my experiences as CFO"

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Walla Walla, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffey Communications is a leading national firm in the health and healthcare communications field with a large team of employees who have focused expertise in health content creation and delivery through digital and print media. An active leadership team regularly engages in vigorous discussion about operational opportunities and strategic directions and intentionally incorporates the perspectives of employees in decision-making processes. The CEO and President push the leadership team to know how each department contributes to the company’s overall success and expect them to develop plans and strategies that facilitate the immediate and long-term objectives of their own departments and the rest of the organization.

We offer a company culture that is second to none in my opinion. In reflecting back on my 18 months as Chief Financial Officer at Coffey Communications, I am deeply grateful for a number of elements that positively influence this culture:
    - The warmth of the welcome I received from each employee, which I have consistently observed being extended to other employees who have subsequently joined the team;
    - The thoroughness of the orientation process, which provided a comprehensive exposure to all facets of operations;
    - The unwavering commitment to excellence in service to our clients;
    - The willingness to admit when we have dropped the ball in internal or external service delivery and to assess how we can improve systems to prevent a recurrence;
    - The eagerness of the CEO and the rest of the leadership team to identify and apply best practices for management and operational processes;
    - The depth of creative skill employees demonstrate while fulfilling their responsibilities;
    - The competitive pay and benefits benchmarked regularly to ensure we remain comparable to our peer firms nationally;
    - The disciplined integration of new products and technologies, facilitated by our consistently strong financial performance;
    - The significant progress in rolling out new software systems that will improve efficiencies across the company and ensure we are prepared to stay ahead of the ongoing changes in the health and healthcare field; and
    - The numerous events throughout the year when employees come together to celebrate our accomplishments and create shared memories. These memories serve as a reminder of why each of us have chosen to join and remain a part of this team and its shared commitment to positively impact the lives of consumers across the country on behalf of our clients.

This review is geared toward those who may wish to consider a leadership position at Coffey Communications and want a perspective on the administrative environment they will discover. While my experience as CFO will be consistent with that of other employees in many respects, I recognize that my involvement in decision-making processes gives me specific insights into the involvement of the entire leadership team in key decisions across operational areas that may not be as readily apparent to those who are not involved in these deliberations. I am happy to chat (you can reach me through my PROfile on the company website) with any prospective candidates or employees if there are points of ambiguity where I may help clarify whether our outstanding team is the right fit for you.

Cons

The transition over the past several years to management through a leadership team, rather than focusing many decisions through the owners, has led to some points of uncertainty in decision making, but these are largely worked out now and area managers are empowered to lead their respective teams. The substantial number of employees who have remained with the company for ten, twenty, and even thirty or more years bring unique but not insurmountable challenges as we work to infuse new perspectives on design and delivery to keep products and services fresh and relevant in an ever-changing market. At the same time, we seek to remain true to the core values that have historically driven our success. The size and location of Walla Walla could lead one to question whether this is a great place to live until one begins to research the abundance of awards the community has received in recent years and to explore the many wonderful attributes leading to its repeated national ranking as one of the best places to live.

Advice to Management

I would encourage myself and my colleagues on the leadership team to continue to focus on execution of the highest priorities first, then extend those successes out to other company initiatives. We need to continue to enhance intentional communication with employees, both directly from the C-Suite and through departmental leadership channels. Lastly, we need to complete the rollout of the upgraded systems and related process redesigns to fully equip and enable employees to own the success of their individual areas.

"Coffey is an excellent company, I'm glad to be here"

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time

Pros

Coffey is the right mix of a "big enough" company to accomplish things, and small enough that everyone knows everyone. I have had management outside my department know what our group is doing--when we work overtime or come up with an idea to try out--and give kudos and thanks to team members because of good internal communication. The management group really cares about the whole company, not just their specific area.

Client work can be really gratifying, even if it's sometimes stressful. Clients are really appreciative of the hard work and creativity that everyone puts in, and really rely on Coffey's advice.

The majority of the company seems to get along very well and even though it is an open-cubicle atmosphere and deadline driven, it is also laid back. You get to pick your days off, there is a 401K plan and health benefits, and the casual dress is great. You are given sick leave and paid vacation time right from the start of employment. The staff works as a team and often celebrates as one, having company events, celebrating staff birthdays with cakes and treats, and also having a relaxing and inviting eating area/gathering space.

Coffey is an excellent company that offers job security and career growth in a small town that limits that opportunity.

Cons

There is a genuine caring and encouragement to further your skills and grow in your career, but some long-time employees don’t seem to get that they might be out of date with their abilities and it should be their responsibility to stay up to date.

Sometimes living in a small town is a con. Otherwise, outdoor activities (biking and hiking), growing cultural options (live music, decent restaurants, art galleries, farmers markets) and good schools.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the technology advancements, it is exciting to think what we will accomplish. Also keep sharing information, it really helps staff to know what role they can play in the company's success.

Oct 7, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

We want to thank you for these kind words. It is gratifying to hear your thoughts on the technical and process improvements that we have undertaken this year, and that you appreciate our ... More

"Paranoia reigns supreme"

Pros

The office is very nice and hardware/software is top of the line.

Cons

More time and energy spent assigning blame and manufacturing criticism of employees in order to have ammunition to fire them eventually than actually solving problems and taking care of clients.

Advice to Management

Remember what made the company successful.

Oct 14, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

We have never lost focus on what has made this company successful—serving the needs of our clients. In my many years in human resources at Coffey Communications, I have never seen a decision made ... More

"Give this company a break"

Former Employee - Varied, Over Time in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Varied, Over Time in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time

Pros

Room to grow professionally and add skills, and offer ideas in a team setting. Most managers are open to new ways to do things and encouraging of effort. I made friends there that I'm still in touch with, and will always remember well my Coffey years.

Cons

The morale in certain departments wasn't great, but that's as much to do with specific employees as anything else. I moved departments to get away from negative people, and it was much better. In general, management seems genuinely interested in creating a good workplace, but so much has changed in the industry and some employees won't accept that.

Advice to Management

Don't give up. I wrote this after hearing about some negative reviews, and all I can say is that bitter people lash out in ugly and untrue ways. Ignore it.

Oct 7, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

We very much appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear that your Coffey experience was what we strive to achieve for all employees, and we thank you for saying so ... More

"Trust is not a four-letter word"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time

Pros

My colleagues were smart, creative, and hard-working.
    The work itself was often exciting and rewarding.
    Walla Walla is an idyllic small town.
    The dress code at Coffey is business casual (jeans are ok).

Cons

High-turnover rate (dozens of people have been fired or quit in the past two years).
    Militant enforcement of rules and time-tracking (many employees are required to track their time daily in three different programs).
    Lack of trust in employees.
    Outdated/antiquated web department.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my work at Coffey for the first few months and I met some amazing people who I am still friends with today. There is also a vast network of ex-Coffey employees that include some of my favorite people in town. This company attracts bright, creative minds.
    I am not a "bitter ex-employee" trying to "lash out". I wish the company success in the future. For this to happen though, I sincerely believe the company leadership and management style needs to change significantly. Coffey has had to face challenges; senior leadership has had to make tough decisions including firing people and rearranging employees. This is an unfortunate but necessary aspect of managing a business and I do not fault them for it. What is so disappointing about Coffey is the lack of trust in their employees. This is most clearly demonstrated by antiquated company policies and procedures including militant time tracking (many employees are required to track their time daily in three different programs), the fact that salaried employees have to take vacation time to attend company events (like golf and other health outings, ironically, meant to improve morale), and the contrasting behavior of those that are promoted to management positions and those that are fired from the company. If an employee challenges a manager or expresses frustration, there is a good chance that person will be fired without an opportunity to talk through the situation or work to make it right. This zero tolerance policy means that many creative, outside-the-box thinkers have been let go from Coffey. Many more are current employees that are too scared to voice their brilliant ideas for fear of being fired.

Coffey has an amazing team of creative, intelligent people, so my advice to management is to give them a degree of autonomy, freedom, and flexibility. Don’t just give lip service to the idea of teamwork and communication, really let your teams work together without constant oversight and micromanagement. There is value in the unique talents of every person on your staff, so please don’t treat people like cogs in machine (or like children prone to misbehaving). If someone makes a mistake, talk with them honestly and encourage them. Don’t be so threatened by new ideas or even the occasional argument between co-workers. Ninety-nine percent of the time, these employees are merely trying to do what’s best for your clients and are very committed to their work.

Lastly, if you are considering moving to Walla Walla to take a job with this company, I have to advise you to be careful. Walla Walla is a small community. If your position with Coffey doesn’t work out for any reason, there may not be other opportunities in the geographic area for your skill set. (Many employees that would like to leave this company have been forced to stay for this reason.) Further, it is very difficult to work for this company if you have young children. During my time at Coffey, I spoke to a few ex-employees that cited this as the reason they left.

Aug 24, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review of your time at Coffey Communications. We are happy to address a few of the issues that you brought up. We are in the business of creative work, and any company of our ... More