Coffman Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Coffman Engineers Chief Executive Officer, Managing Principal Dave Gardner
Dave Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They truly care about their employees and the work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Overtime or comp-time is a huge benefit that you don't see in other companies in AE industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Consulting engineering is not for everyone and that is true at Coffman Engineers (in 3 reviews)

• high deductible but free annual exams, etc (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Fire Protection Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Fire Protection Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Coffman is the key differentiator compared to other engineering firms. The energy and enthusiasm of the office drives productivity for the employees, which results in a one-of-a-kind atmosphere. What Coffman has been able to create and maintain is truly unique. As the company continues to succeed, there is a strong emphasis on maintaining this culture and ensuring each employee feels respected and appreciated.

Cons

The schedule can be demanding at times, however, that is typical for all engineering firms.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It means so much to all of us to be able to contact anyone in the company without experiencing individual egos. This attribute makes it much easier to learn and contribute to the overall team atmosphere.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

A company that really cares about their staff, which includes being competitive so that they can afford to be generous with benefits to staff. I really like showing up to work each morning!

Cons

Not much... There is a lot of pressure to succeed, which is appropriate.

Advice to Management

Grow smart not big

"Coffman is home away from home"

Current Employee - Coordinator, Marketing/Administration
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Marketing/Administration

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coffman has many pro's. I have been here for almost 10 years, why? Because Coffman is home away from home. We are a family at Coffman, they care about your well-being, they understand you have a life outside of work, and they try hard to maintain a culture everyone can connect to. I am very happy here at Coffman, and couldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

The health insurance has a high deductible, so I never reach it 100%.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you;re doing!

"Impressive Values and Environment"

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time

Pros

Fun, professional employee driven workplace. Benefits are awesome. They truly care about their employees and the work life balance.

Cons

Training could be more focused on at the beginning of employment with the company.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training new employees on the internal part of Coffman.

"The best place I've every worked!"

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time

Pros

Coffman hires great people so my coworkers are awesome. My manager is responsive and allows me the freedom to do my job without micromanaging. Coffman really seems to care about its employees by spending money on training, development, and pay/benefits. Almost everyone, even the President and CEO, are approachable and friendly. Also, Coffman stocks the kitchen with free food!

Cons

Everyone is really busy but I guess that's just part of the consulting engineering business. I know they are trying to hire more people to help with the workload.

Advice to Management

Hire more good people. Keep up the focus on good employees, clients and projects. Don't lose the great culture in spite of the rapid growth.

6. "Keep up the good work!"

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly I could not be happier to work for a company so committed to retaining its culture- There are many companies out there that talk the talk but Coffman really walks the walk. We have a great work-life balance, professional staff, and a president that really cares about the future of our company.

Cons

Please pay closer attention to market rate wages for all staff (not just the engineers)... It will help with retention.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to lead us to greatness!

"Company is committed to it's employees"

Current Employee - Fire Protection Engineer in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Fire Protection Engineer in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My experience has been that Coffman does everything they can to help employees. That being said you still need to be contributing to the success of the company.

Cons

This is still the consulting business and schedules can be difficult. Nothing specific to Coffman.

Apr 27, 2017 – President

It is out of respect for people that we do what we can to help. Ideally work rises above being merely a transaction. We are all pulling the same way, achieving success beyond our individual... More

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Commissioning Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Commissioning Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Coffman Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coffman has a great work environment with fun peers. The only reason I left Coffman was for another job opportunity but would definitely work there again!

-life/work balance is great!
       Work in design and construction is typically cyclical with busy times and slow times. Coffman does a great job of providing employees with comp time options as well as ovetrtime when the company is busy and flexible work hours when it is slower.

-Fantastic benefits

-Culture
        Culture is as fun as you want it to be with plenty of events to get involved with.

Cons

Being a design firm there can be a great deal of boring paperwork near job closing but that can't be avoided.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Apr 27, 2017 – President

Thanks so much for your kind words about our company. We will keep up the good work as you say. I hope that you are able to return to us in the future. In the mean time, I wish you every success... More

"Great people!"

Pros

I loved working in the office I worked at, the people are great to work with! The GM understood family and it made it easy to take time off for family things. Also, the benefits are better then most companies and you never go hungry because they always feed you!

Cons

Lots of expectations to handle 10 things at once, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if compensation leveled it out but compensation wasn't great.

Advice to Management

Some GM's are great people but they just lack the business side of it. Some GM's are technical but lack both social and business skills. The one that has it all, Dave Ruff he's a great leader!

"Coffman Rocks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people are fun and professional, and extremely willing to help. Collaboration between disciplines is handled very well and is pushed to happen by management in a positive way. Benefits are typical, except health care is high deductible backed by health savings accounts that Coffman contributes to. Orca pass is covered at 50% if you are a transit rider, and 401k has excellent matching. Coffman is also very flexible with time off as you need it.

Cons

The high deductible insurance takes a while to catch up with through the HSA, but eventually it pays off in the long run. Excess can be invested similar to a 401k system.

Jan 31, 2017 – President

Thanks for your comments. The high deductible plan in conjunction with an HSA is designed to work well. But you are right, you really need to save in the years that you are healthy so you have the... More