Coffman Engineers Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2021

4.7
Coffman Engineers CEO and President David T. Ruff, P.E.
David T. Ruff, P.E.
Pros
  • "Work/life balance isn’t a pipe dream at Coffman(in 10 reviews)

• "Coffman has a great work environment with fun peers(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The biggest grip I hear is about the high-deductible HSA(in 7 reviews)

• "long hours, bad management, sub par pay(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Amazing place to work!

Mar 25, 2021 - Senior Engineer in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coffman is a great team that treats their staff well and provides career growth opportunities.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind right now.

2. 5.0

Can't stay away!

Sep 10, 2020 - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coffman is like one big family. Everyone I've worked with has a sense of care for me and my personal and professional endeavors. I started at Coffman in 2018 as an intern. After riding out my internship for as long as I could I returned as a full time employee for a year. I took 14 months off to pursue other interest but came back because I enjoyed working here so much! My coworkers and supervisors are kind, helpful and eager to see one another succeed. I would summarize Coffman Engineers as a "family" firm with big firm business oppurtunities and growth. I'm proud to be apart of the Coffman family.

Cons

I can't think of any con's working at Coffman. In the past I have been able to bring any concerns or ideas for areas that could use improvment to the attention of my supervisor. With an open door policy it's easy to turn con's into pro's quickly! Probably more people related rather than company I have sadly seen some of our cultural traditions fade away. I would love to see new traditions come to life whenever our office returns back to normal, in-office work.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best environment

Jan 24, 2021 - Structural Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart management, friendly coworkers, people-centered structure. Love the versatility of work

Cons

None that come to mind

4. 4.0

Great Company Culture | Mediocre Pay

Feb 9, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Office autonomy, transparent leadership, cool projects with some of the largest companies in the world, flexible work schedule, good benefits with 401k matching

Cons

Below average industry pay in non-eng

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very glad to call this company home!

Jun 4, 2020 - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my career of over 20 years to date, it has been rare to find a company that: 1) Treats its employees very well 2) Serves its customers very well 3) Has a successful and long term business strategy 4) Has self awareness and the ability to change and adapt (leadership humility) 5) Embraces process improvements 6) Committed to excellence and continual improvement I've worked at many companies that get one or two of these qualities right, but in the time I've been at Coffman, I am happy to report that they are committed to all 6. If you are internally driven to do excellent things, this is a great place to join others who feel the same.

Cons

Everyone was so warm and friendly to me the first week I was here that it was creeping me out at first.

President

What a great list of successful company attributes. Can I use your list? Super excited that Coffman is able to check all of the boxes. Now we just need to keep it that way. I know you will help us stay on track. Very funny that we sort of creeped you out with our friendliness. "The Firm" encourages friendliness. I am committed to following your great advice. Thanks for the insightful feedback. Dave Ruff - CEO/President

6. 5.0

Great People and Values at Coffman

Jan 9, 2020 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Super Friendly Management. They let you do your job and support employees. They foster a fun work environment and really believe in the well being and happiness of the employees. Decent Salary and Benefits. The company wants to do their very best for clients, which is a nice goal to have every day. Fun coworkers, seriously some of the best I have had.

Cons

Have to keep up with a lot of changes constantly going on. This is a good sized company so there are many programs and details to learn and adapt to. Not really a Con, just a challenge with the amount of time you have sometimes.

President

We will keep up the great work. Thanks for the encouragement. You joined us as we are in the last stages of right sizing our systems and tools for our current size/breadth. Certainly some growing pains, but we are almost through it. We have one more big adjustment as we implement a new project management and accounting system. Hang in there. Smoother sailing in the near future. Appreciate you. Dave Ruff - CEO/President

7. 4.0

Handling of Pandemic

Sep 8, 2020 - Mechanical Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Providing great resources and help through this difficult time.

Cons

Hope to not see them rush back into the office.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, challenging work, and a collective pursuit of excellence.

Feb 3, 2020 - Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, diverse groups of people supporting each other, and company projects, from offices across the nation. Each office has its own fun, unique, and inviting culture, yet they all share fundamental corporate initiatives and common goals. Excellent work-life balance, competitive pay/benefits, and defined career paths.

Cons

As the company continues to expand, growing pains may be experienced as certain processes and systems get (re)defined. Occasional long hours, however, the company comp-time and overtime pay policies make up for this!

President

Thanks for the feedback, and list of pros. The overtime pay for exempt employees is the right thing to do. If our team members are providing value to a client, and billing the client, then we believe that team member should get paid for that effort. Otherwise the company is highly incentivized to increase profits by working people harder. This would be contradictory to our commitment to employee well-being and balance. Thanks again. Dave Ruff - CEO/President

9. 5.0

Integrity, Respect, Professionalism

Sep 2, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

At Coffman, the idea that employees are valued and respected goes beyond mere lip service; it’s backed up by behavior and resources. Coffman walks the walk. Employees are encouraged and supported in the pursuit of professional development and career growth, regardless of tenure, position, or department. If you want to learn and grow, the opportunities are there. Work/life balance isn’t a pipe dream at Coffman. Yes, there are times when project deadlines and workloads necessitate extra hours, but management pays attention and works hard to ensure that such situations don’t become the norm. Scheduled check-ins between employees and managers are standard operating procedure, across the board. The company has been growing, in ways that are thoughtfully considered, well communicated, and sustainable. Though I’ve been at Coffman less than a year, I’ve already witnessed firsthand – on several occasions – remarkable instances of open communication, accountability, and integrity, from the highest levels of leadership.

Cons

Some of the benefit offerings could be better (e.g. life insurance, options for health insurance), although overall, they’re fine, and again, are well thought out and communicated.

President

Thanks for the positive comments and the confirmation that you are experiencing integrity at Coffman. We certainly aim to walk what we talk. But the proof is in the experience, not the words. Although we are not perfect, we strive to continuous improvement. Glad you joined the team and can help with this endeavor. Regarding benefit offerings, and specifically life insurance, we happen to be looking at options right now to improve this benefit. Best Regards, Dave Ruff - CEO/President

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Employee-Centered Firm

Jan 29, 2020 - Engineer, Structural Engineering in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ The Corporate team does a great job of allowing autonomous direction in each of the different office locations. + The company culture is a major focus, both professional and personally. + The employees are the center of the company, and there are structured growth opportunities. + Salaried employees can choose to bank overtime as PTO or get paid at their effective hourly rate.

Cons

- High-deductible health insurance, but the company does more than most companies I know to help mitigate the impact to the employee.

President

I really believe in the benefits of federalism (i.e. delegating the most authority possible to those closest to issues at hand). This creates the most freedom which fosters the most inspiration which in turn enhances creative thinking for our client and our business. Office autonomy is a continued commitment for these reasons. Thanks for posting a review. Dave Ruff - CEO/President

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews