Coffman Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Coffman Engineers Chief Executive Officer, Managing Principal Dave Gardner
Dave Gardner

1. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Commissioning Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Commissioning Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Coffman Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coffman has a great work environment with fun peers. The only reason I left Coffman was for another job opportunity but would definitely work there again!

-life/work balance is great!
       Work in design and construction is typically cyclical with busy times and slow times. Coffman does a great job of providing employees with comp time options as well as ovetrtime when the company is busy and flexible work hours when it is slower.

-Fantastic benefits

-Culture
        Culture is as fun as you want it to be with plenty of events to get involved with.

Cons

Being a design firm there can be a great deal of boring paperwork near job closing but that can't be avoided.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great people!"

Pros

I loved working in the office I worked at, the people are great to work with! The GM understood family and it made it easy to take time off for family things. Also, the benefits are better then most companies and you never go hungry because they always feed you!

Cons

Lots of expectations to handle 10 things at once, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if compensation leveled it out but compensation wasn't great.

Advice to Management

Some GM's are great people but they just lack the business side of it. Some GM's are technical but lack both social and business skills. The one that has it all, Dave Ruff he's a great leader!

3. "Coffman Rocks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people are fun and professional, and extremely willing to help. Collaboration between disciplines is handled very well and is pushed to happen by management in a positive way. Benefits are typical, except health care is high deductible backed by health savings accounts that Coffman contributes to. Orca pass is covered at 50% if you are a transit rider, and 401k has excellent matching. Coffman is also very flexible with time off as you need it.

Cons

The high deductible insurance takes a while to catch up with through the HSA, but eventually it pays off in the long run. Excess can be invested similar to a 401k system.

Jan 31, 2017 – President

Thanks for your comments. The high deductible plan in conjunction with an HSA is designed to work well. But you are right, you really need to save in the years that you are healthy so you have the ... More

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of variety. Plenty of opportunity to branch out into new skills. A place to work that is built on trust and mutual respect.

Cons

When a company makes sure they don't hire/fire unless absolutely necessary, then the team has to "go with the flow" during slower and busier times. Consulting, by its very nature, is dynamic in terms of workload.

Nov 21, 2016 – President

We do have a very entrepreneurial environment where we encourage people to try new things. This approach keeps us fresh and our engineering skills sharp. Regarding your comment on our "go with the ... More

6. "Enjoying what you do means enjoying who you work for..."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Coffman Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Interesting projects.
    -Aside from some of the upper management, the rest of the staff was awesome.
    -My experience at this company made me realize how good I had it at my previous firm, grateful I was able to go back.

Cons

-Minimum budgets for projects means I either worked for free or worked on overhead which ultimately reduces my billable rate. In my case, overhead was "lab training."
    -I voiced concerns multiple times about project management on specific projects, but it fell on deaf ears; profit before the employees. Too big to fail mentality...

Advice to Management

Like I said before, it falls on deaf ears.

Nov 21, 2016 – President

I am so sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one. We are attempting to continuously improve our transparency, project management, and leadership. We certainly don't have the ... More

"my review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, and the option to work extra hours and log as comp time or overtime is a big plus.

Cons

Healthcare coverage could be better as well as overall compensation. Moving up in this corporation will most likely take a long time.

Advice to Management

Try to remember what is going on right now can be as important as the future.

Nov 21, 2016 – President

We are being as progressive as we can on the healthcare front. It has been painful for everyone in the country. Finally, this year we experienced a premium reduction. We will continue to work ... More

"Top-Notch Consulting Firm"

Pros

Team work and communication are emphasized from the top down. Diverse projects to work on and sharp people to work with from engineers to designers to admin.

Cons

Some long hours from time to time but that's typical at a consulting firm.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the fun culture can be maintained as the company continues to grow.

Nov 21, 2016 – President

We are really focused on team work all the way through our organization, so I am glad you have experienced the emphasis. This is an effort within the offices and between the offices. I think we ... More

"Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Discipline Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Discipline Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

A fantastic work environment. The key to the company success is that they truly appreciate every employee whether engineering or staff. Arvind is an absolute rock star as the office lead.
    The work is varied and interesting. The atmosphere is collegial and everyone is like family.

Cons

There are no real cons worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job. Do not change your philosophy.

Aug 9, 2016 – President

We do appreciate everyone. And I agree that Arvind is a rock star! So as you suggest, we are going to keep on doing what we are doing. Thanks for the encouragement. Dave Ruff - President

"Senior Engineer / Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture within our Company makes this a great place to work. Hard work is recognized and appreciated, making this a very fulfilling place to work. I have been with the Company for five years and am continually impressed with our strong leadership. The Company's leadership roles are filled with a great blend of younger and veteran leaders, which is a sign that leadership positions are available to all those who possess the necessary skills and attributes, not just reserved for those who have been with the Company for a long time.

The recent leadership transition has been smooth and the outlook is bright. It is evident that much planning went into the transition plan.

Our Company has a philanthropic attitude that is evident in our offices and the communities that we live and work within. I have been impressed by the Company's eagerness to get involved to help those in need and create a strong presence within our local community.

Cons

Our Anchorage office is located in downtown, which is great, but also means that space is limited. The downside being that parking can be tight and personal offices are scarce. Much of our work space is comprised of cubicles, which makes for a generally relaxed work environment and encourages face-to-face collaboration, but can sometimes be distracting to others where the additional privacy of an office would be nice for those who spend much of their time on the phone with clients and co-workers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to recognize solid work by employees. Continue to anticipate and plan for ongoing and upcoming changes within our leadership positions and within our local markets. Maintain a strong presence within our communities by supporting philanthropic endeavors.

Aug 9, 2016 – President

Thanks for the feedback regarding the leadership transition that we have recently navigated through. You are correct that we put a lot of time and energy into the plan. It is nice to hear your ... More

11. "One Guy's Opinion"

Pros

Family-oriented company that is fun to work at. Good pay, good opportunity for growth and learning as well as client interface early in your career.

Cons

Health care could be better.

Advice to Management

You guys do an excellent job. I respect you and would work extra hard to meet your deadlines. Don't lose the personal touch and that sense of smart risk taking.

Aug 9, 2016 – President

Thank you "One Guy" for your opinion. It means a lot. We will do our best to continue to earn your respect. You have hit on one of the biggest strengths of a healthy company. Respect is afforded ... More