Cogeco Peer 1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Philippe Jetté

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with in the local office (in 15 reviews)

• Allow some work from home and Cogeco has implemented fair employee rights (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • there were some growing pains as the company transitioned from a start up mentality to policies that are more established and sustainable (in 10 reviews)

• The retention of staff is at an all time low because people are living in fear of being laid off and it's no longer a desireable place to work (in 8 reviews)

"OK"

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

much turnover in senior management

"So Different..."

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time

Pros

The people. That’s pretty much it.

Cons

The way it’s so completely different from everything Peer 1 Hosting originally stood for.

Advice to Management

Less corporate. Less Canada.

3. "Learning Center"

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time

Pros

I learned so much about customer service/support, datacenters, linux, development, international business and so many things to list. I can't thank enough the people that worked here and what they taught me. I still have friends from here when it was Peer 1.

Cons

Things changes once Peer 1 was acquired by Cogeco. I was eventually laid off and my boss didn't have the courtesy to be there when it happened. The VP that was there was great, encouraging, and supportive.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees and encourage intrapreneurs in the company. During my time at the company cloud was becoming more prevalent and instead of embracing the change they resisted and attempted to reinvent cloud services with inferior product because of existing relationship and not adopting the best of breed.

4. "Great"

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Need to have more training to allow career growth within the company. Pay is below market value.

"You make the bed you sleep in"

Current Employee - Product Owner
    Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow, in whatever direction you want. Self-motivated people who don't mind rocking the boat will do well.

Cons

No one will tell you how to do your job (in my opinion is a plus). Some people are not held accountable for not pulling their weight and offload their job onto other people. Most of all the information needed to do nearly every job is available in documentation portals, but most people fail to take the time to look it up.

"Entry Level Pay for Professional Level Expectations"

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local staff is great and willing to help when they can.

Cons

The pay rate is about $20K below the market. Thanks to all the layoffs the roles and responsibilities that were once handled by competent staff is now thrust upon the remaining employees. No additional compensation or recognition is offered for this extra work load.
    New offerings put to market go end of life within a year. Sales is struggling because there is nothing current or competitive to sell. There is not enough planning ahead to become competitive, nor is there enough employees to take on such planning.
    Canada based telecommunications company does not understand server hosting market. They want to cut spend at all costs. This has created a bottle neck in both innovation and lead time to customers. It's also putting a strain on the company's supplier relations.
    So focused on process that they loose sight of what they are doing. More and more regulations come down from management with the promise that it will make your job easier. Instead you're left with internal systems that don't work, more red tape than you can wrap a Christmas tree with, and more duties put upon you (since your job is now easier).

Advice to Management

Get new management or sell the server hosting portion to someone who knows the market.

7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Data Center Administrator in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Data Center Administrator in Fremont, CA

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great personal growth and learning path. Friendly people, a lot of study resources. You can learn and practice skills in the work place.

Cons

A lot of working. Some times will be a lot of stress when emergency happens. Working schedule some times hard to balanced with life.

"Went down hill quick"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the location

Cons

I worked there for theee years. When they were taken over by Cogeco I watched the company go downhill. We were like a big family. So close even to our peers in other locations. This dissolved in a year after being bought. It was sad seeing such good people, very hard workers leave the company. Our family broke up and the culture we all loved was gone. I would never go back to what it has become.

Advice to Management

Bring back the close family type environment. Listen to what your employees are saying. Show them that you care and quit acting like you could care less.

"Hosting is [NOT] Telecommunications- it takes innovation, sorry to break the news.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location, Environment, People, and Social Engagements

Cons

1) This is a Business first, Customer second company. (never works)
    2) There is no sign that our hidden CEO is looking to change this backwards decision making process (company first -> then customer needs) he is only seen or heard from 1x quarterly.. (reference Bigfoot sightings)

Advice to Management

What is easier for the "business" is NOT what is best for the "customer". Do not enter another year with this backwards equation... there will be no "business" to protect without those... "customer things".
    CEO - learn what is actually going on OUTSIDE of Canada and OUTSIDE of your e-team comfort zone. These boots on the ground dont bite, promise.!

"Great culture, and most of the people are excellent! Tough skin and positive mindset required."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent people
    opportunities for advancement
    benefits/perks
    Ability to travel if needed

Cons

brand recognition
    departments tend to work in silos

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture the individuals that care to make an impact regardless of title or on-paper responsibilities.