Cogeco Peer 1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philippe Jetté

Pros
  • Allow some work from home and Cogeco has implemented fair employee rights (in 8 reviews)

• Great people to work with in the local office (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains while systems and processes come together (in 10 reviews)

• Only way we find out people are gone is their email no longer works (in 9 reviews)

"Great culture, and most of the people are excellent! Tough skin and positive mindset required."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent people
    opportunities for advancement
    benefits/perks
    Ability to travel if needed

Cons

brand recognition
    departments tend to work in silos

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture the individuals that care to make an impact regardless of title or on-paper responsibilities.

"CP1 is a good work place"

Current Employee - IT Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture and values make the workplace wonderful to be in.

Cons

Flexibility in certain groups.

"Great people"

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and they treat each other like family. The San Antonio office is in a great area with a lot to do. Large facility with space to get away to get work done. The Atlanta office is also in a nice area, but be ready for the traffic. The Miami office is a great office in a great area, the Miami office has been my favorite.

Cons

Office politics, and it has been morphing into a cable company like atmosphere. For anyone not familiar with a "cable company atmosphere" it means sucking the life out of the culture. The support staff is under paid to market value and its a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Its not a cable company that you're running, so don't treat it like one. Cable companies and change don't mix, in the hosting industry change is the only thing that is consistent.

"Use outdated, undocumented software systems and under pay software engineers."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Morgan Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allow some work from home and Cogeco has implemented fair employee rights. Locations throughout US, Canada, UK provide office space if desired.

Cons

Provide inadequate laptops for developers and system software is undocumented and out of date. Also pay is below national average.

Advice to Management

Get rid of out of date poorly designed software systems that are riddled with bugs. Better to do this now than to continue to spend money trying to fix systems that are beyond fixing.

"Field Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good centralized location in the Pearl

Cons

It was never my intention to review this employer, however in the last 60 days I've had 4 existing CP1 employees reach out to me for new employment assistance and after I was a sucker for taking the bait just like these other poor souls I thought it was only fitting. Please do all your due diligence on this company prior to making a move!

Company Background:
    The company is comprised of old Sever Beach employees which if you do your research they were a self serving "dedicated" server entity that was created by Rackspace. Peer 1 which was a colocation company that bought server beach and then Canadian telecommunication company Cogeco bought Peer 1 and the rest is history.

The position:
    I was hired as a "hunter" for a tech company that had been in business for 15+ years but not only was there an explanation of what the sales process looked like, there wasn't a single veteran hunter in existence. First huge red flag...

Work Life:
    The entire time I was there it felt like the wild west. I never had a schedule and I never had to check in or check out with anyone. If I chose to "work from home" I could do so anytime without being questioned. Initially this was something that attracted me to this place but overtime it gets REALLY old, especially when you're not making any money. It never felt like I worked for a tech company and it really had a stigma of the blind leading the blind. My pay plan changed 3 times in the first 60 days of employment. Come to find out we were offering over priced hosting services for outdated equipment and technology that was pitched as current equipment. Marketing was nonexistent....I mean there were people getting paid to be in marketing but they were clueless. I found out immediately that there was a serious lack of support for clients. The focus was to just keep your clients happy enough to get them past the "churn" date so you weren't back charged your commission and then let them be someone else's problem.

The Boss:
    I rarely saw my boss which I prefer but there is a big difference between managers and leaders. This individual was very untrustworthy and had a reputation of focusing purely on outside business and throwing his team under the bus. The thing that would really get to me was that he would take credit for my ideas and hard work. It blew my mind that someone like this was in a leadership role for so long.

Closing:
    I would select half a star if it was possible. I have never worked with so many inept people in my life and this is officially the worst career move I have ever made. I have finally recouped the $20k+ that I lost in savings while employed at CP1. Money can be replaced but time cannot. The only people making money there are upper management and Senior or Field Account Managers who "Farm" or simply answer the phone for their larger clients to add servers as their company grows. Where I come from that is called order taking...not selling. Good riddance...

Advice to Management

If you do not believe in what you do and are not 100% vested in your team than it's time to move on.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, great LOCAL leadership, amazing office, the best co-workers who genuinely band together to help get things done.

Cons

Slow, manual, convoluted processes. Snail speed to market with innovate products and a distant parent company with zero understanding of what to do with us.

Advice to Management

Local leadership, please continue to stay positive, keep pushing us and fighting for wins. E-team, make processes cleaner, easier, and roll out competitive cloud products. Also understand that in hosting, projects end, don't penalize an account manager when a customer has completed their contract. Common sense compensation plan would go a long way!

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location with gym and kitchen many perks very team oriented company.

Cons

No cons really just they are an evolving firm. I got recruited to a new company and I was ready for change and to learn broader technologies.

Advice to Management

Kevin you are a great leader I wish you and the team the best

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No room for Mediocrity. Employees are empowered and accountable to make a difference in our clients solutions and in our work environment. Culture of winning is contagious.

Cons

The industry is changing and our clients needs are evolving. CP1 will need to face these head on with innovation and creativity.

Advice to Management

Continue to Motivate with Transparency and Foster Positive Change and Investment.

"CP1"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is very good.

There are still very talented and good people left.

The benefits package is decent.

Cons

The multiple round of layoffs has completely driven morale through the floor.

C-Level, and Directors have no clue about the business or market.

There is no direction whatsoever and transparency has totally disappeared.

The talented people with the right ideas and experience never have a say or are simply ignored.

Advice to Management

Figure out which direction to steer the company and be transparent with the employees about that direction.

Acknowledge the talent you still have before it's too late.

Bring back town halls and get to know your employees and their value.

"Acquired but not understood"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Legacy teams work well within their own department.
    What's left of the employees try to keep local culture alive and positive.

Cons

No communication from management.
    No knowledge of the market for which they acquired thanks to the recent merger.
    No direction = falling behind competitors rapidly.
    Canada based company, so recognition for a job well done and proper compensation stay in Canada.

Advice to Management

Research the new market you've acquired or find someone to lead that already knows the market. You're killing the company you just acquired due to lack of knowledge. Compensate those who do a job well so we don't loose any more skilled professionals.