Cogent Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer
Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions (in 10 reviews)

• Great training program, seasoned team leading the operation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries, NO job stability, high turnover, unattainable quote, cheapskate CEO, poor PTO (in 11 reviews)

• Micro managed call center environment (in 9 reviews)

"NAM"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Salary is a little above average here in California however that doesn't mean much when you are gone in 6 months.

Cons

100% Turnover in this office in 8 months! Sold on how good the company is, which it is but get ready for Extreme micro management, being put on probation within a few months of starting and a Director that is relentless on demeaning you daily!

Advice to Management

Hire better Managers and Directors if you expect to keep sales reps.

"fraud reviews"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the co workers. since we are all in the same boat and not making any sales. we only have each other to lean on while we plot on how to leave that place.

Cons

too many to list. the reviews here must be managers that fill these reviews out to boost the ratings. no way this place is for anyone. but for starters....do not come here if you want rot in your sales career. all of the accounts are taken and own by the top dogs in the company. this place is a joke. u can be manager with 6 months of telecom sales. what a joke.

NY2
    NY3
    NY4

are a buncha scammers.

Advice to Management

let go of the kids you have at the manager and director roles in nyc.

"You want the truth? Can you handle stress?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee to fatten you up for the slaughter on a monthly basis. Miami location near the beach, San Diego location near the beach. Seattle in the latest Data center complete with cafeteria to again fatten you up!

Cons

Oh boy here is where you hear the stuff the recruiter didn't tell you. First off I took the gig to see if this would be a good fit or not, in the end it wasn't for me and I left on my terms. But here is what you should really know, (the stuff that makes this site so worth it for sure) Only seriously consider this company if you are starting out in sales ( fresh outta college) sales and are in between gigs and looking for a paycheck. Dave Schaffer is the one leading the show, and apparently everything goes through him. And I mean everything. IMHO that’s too much power for someone that has the company traded on NASDAQ, but I digress. This is to give you some perspective on why you should or shouldn’t consider Cogent. They have four main sales roles: NAM, RAM, GAM and ISR. National Account Manager, Regional Account Manager, Global Account Manager and Inside Sales Representative. I was a GAM, so you get to hear this from my perspective. The GAM is a high profile role with little upside unless you have been there about 3-4 years. As a GAM what does that title give you? no travel, no opportunity and more pressure to make 50-80 calls a day using sales force as a metric tool from a call center, work from home is not an option. Also you have to do your own prospecting, there is no Marketing support, so don’t expect a book of leads to come in your way. They call the mornings the golden time to prospect, they all start at 830 am eastern and end at 5pm eastern. Yes you are frowned upon if you leave early, get the picture? You have to do your own research and Cogent does no national advertising. They only do data center tours as their largest marketing push. The call centers are converted old PSI net properties and it shows. Generally warehouse buildings with call centers in front or data centers with low, low cubes, possibly sick buildings, and a frat house/ High School Click mentality with staff and management. Sounds like fun right?
    The people at my location in VA were nice that were there longer than 1 year in tenure for the most part, but don't expect to be there long, they have a very high churn rate. If you like living in the early days of telco (2000's) with a passion for a company that has no desire to sell more than 4 products and NOT sell to the federal government and lives by the motto “dumb pipe for smart people” and provides a backstabbing cliquish High School mentality then go ahead, knock yourself out. Financially realistically when talking with other folks and looking at my numbers you won't make more than 125k after your first 12-18 months on the job or in fact probably not much more than that year over year in your career in one of the 4 positions if at all. There is a low-ball base and a monthly target goal that is impossible by design to reach after your 4th month on ramp up, unless you have been there 4-5 years( and if you are there that long well then good for you) But please look elsewhere if you want to make more money with the amount of stress and misguided management that runs the company.
    There I have said my peace, you are old enough to make your own decision, I would say avoid them and try your luck with other ISP's that treat their employees with better pay and products that are relevant for the 21st century customer. Like a Verizon, AWS, GOOGLE or Level3 etc…that make smart pipe for smart customers and care about their employees. Or if you still like your gig with Starbucks stay there, it's less hassle for your time. No one job is perfect, nor is one company, but I was very disappointed even for the low bar standards I set for myself with Cogent. Good luck and happy Job hunting, hopefully this was helpful.

Advice to Management

Do some HR refresh training for the new hires, offer work from home as an option across the board.

5. "Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Any positive review is written by upper management. The company is horrible once you're inside. They're just trying to counter balance the consistently bad reviews this company gets

Cons

There are too many to list

Advice to Management

Laughable at best.

"Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Somerville, MA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, not enough account diversity for there revolving door of 450+ sales reps. Too much management overlap with no real value to add to sales teams. The Boston office is disgusting and infested with ants. Moral is terrible and culture does not exist.

Cons

Impossible to build account base. Wild wild west mentality when it comes to accounts. This is a call center with no freedom. No marketing at all. When I gave the courtesy of a 2 week notice they did not honor it and escorted me out the door. Did not pay me final check until 10 days after the terminated me for giving my notice. Which is against the law in my state. The turn over is insane and the hire anyone that can use a phone. Even when you do the right thing and give them 2 weeks notice they will screw you. Do not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap! The company could be great if you stepped into this century and left behind archaic sales mentality. Honor employees two week notice if they are courteous enough to give it. You literally hurt employees and their families who are doing it the right way.

"Loved the Company, hated the job"

Former Employee - RAM II in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - RAM II in Herndon, VA

Pros

Visionary CEO, and killer product. Fantastic pricing.

Cons

Frat house "good ol' boy network". I had several deals taken from me because "I wasn't qualified to sell the product" even though I had prior management approval, and had closed the sale. The deal was literally pulled from my hand and given to another rep who was a buddy of the Manager.

Advice to Management

Take a good long look at your Sales Management Team.

"National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't any pros about working at Cogent. All I can say is that things have changed drastically and they are hiring non-experience people that have zero telecom background.

Cons

Call center environment. Negative environment to be in. Energy level is low and people are forced come in and sit at their desk everyday.

Advice to Management

less micro management

"Regional Sales manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training program. Good benefits. Great opportunity to learn telecom. Entry level company to get your feet wet. Opportunity to travel to DC

Cons

Horrible upper management, don't have a clue, high turnover. Micro managed to death. Very unfair with leads and favoritism of senior employees.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging everyone. Treat your employees fair.

"Cogent Review"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications (More than a year)

Pros

I don't see any. It's very hard to work at this company.

Cons

The management is very bad and they treat you like a telemarketer. They better do a better background check on their managers.

"Regional Account Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Cisco Based, All fiber network.

Cons

Very narrow market in the West especially, Owner does not want to pay for the CRM tools and software to help the reps be successful. Does not want to help market boost by advertising. Wants to hire reps and churn and burn them out. Sales managers are not knowledgeable to know what is causing the low sales numbers of the reps in the West. Reps in East have most of the good accounts in the West due to they were in existence 1st and they know how to pull leads from the system. Lots of negatives. Bad insurance premiums!

Advice to Management

Stay clear until they upgrade how they treat their employees and better working conditions.