Cogent Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated September 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions (in 10 reviews)

• Free soda and coffee to fatten you up for the slaughter on a monthly basis (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low investment in employees leads to extremely high turnover (in 11 reviews)

• Micro managed call center environment (in 9 reviews)

1. "Account Manager/IT Sales"

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Great training, product training and Sales

Cons

Alot of changes occur out of the blue hard, you get blindsided

2. "Hard work pays back"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Herndon, VA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed people I worked with. Being in Inside Sales team was not the most joyous experience for me, but those who worked hard and hit the quotas consistently were promoted to National Sales Reps in a pretty reasonable time. The rest of the people outside sales team seemed to be satisfied with the company.

Cons

Cannot think of anything particular

"Lack of Communication"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cogent Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work starts at 8:30am
    - Convenient location; right in the loop next to the bridge
    - Quota doesn't go up an extra thousand each month

Cons

- None of the departments communicate with each other. I left this job because my manager hindered me from pursuing any of the businesses I was trying to sell to. It's sales. When you prohibit your sales team to sell to several businesses, most of which make more money than all of us in that office combined, who are you really selling to? It's ironic because during training in the first month, we have orientation twice and each time we are told to sell to every single business there is possible. Start up companies were included in this list. My boss thought I was an idiot for trying to sell to start ups and then told me to find something I was "passionate" about and try selling there. I found lawyers and doctors to try selling to, and then he said "try again, those people won't budge worth your time". Then I tried contractors and architects, he still said no. When I finally quit, I told the training manager why, and I told her it was because everything I learned from her during training was thrown out the window when I was in the office and it made no sense why. She finally admitted that "it's been an ongoing problem that our two departments don't communicate well with each other. Thank you for giving me your honest opinion and good luck."

Advice to Management

Throw out the whole "do as I say not as I do" philosophy and learn to communicate across departments throughout your company. Learn to be consistent with what we're being taught instead of what you think "feels right" about a certain company we prospect.

"Could be decent, but they make sure it isnt."

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training ramp money for completing simple quizzes once you start.
    Free trip to HQ in DC.

Cons

Compensation (Absolutely no reason for salespeople in NYC area to have the same crappy base salaries as people working/living in the low cost-of-living areas of the country.
    If you do well, you might get a pat on the back or a shout out, no real rewards, you are only as good as your last month's numbers. (Quotas are very unrealistic)

Basically impossible to get ahead (raises, promotions, all extremely rare and not rewarding at all anyway - IE your quota increases but your base stays the same in many cases.)
    Micro-management and way too much emphasis on how many cold calls you made every day.
    Poor choices of managers hired.
    Ridiculous company policies compared to the competition, and constant changes that end up holding you back from selling in many areas.

Subpar operations staff that control everything post-sale and can ruin the sale in many different ways. Decreasing sales numbers and lack of direction of NYC office.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and they won't suck at hitting numbers, and maybe want to work hard for the company. Use motivation and rewards to increase sales. Stop cutting corners to save money every chance you can get. I.E. Yearly Kickoff Event, went from Vegas years ago, then got cheaper to Orlando, to Chicago in January (as cheap as it gets for a trip), to basically canceling it all together.

"Stressful but not the worst place I've worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will teach you ISP technologies. Free soda, Free food most of the time. Cisco gives them free food every week to thank them for being a Cisco only shop.

Cons

-Intense and stressful always, especially if you have no experience. You will have customer that are completely angry at you because Cogent only allows some things for example Duplex problems can arrise and your not allowed to tell the customer I can keep your duplex settings to auto-negotate if you put that in writing at a price. Anyways your boss will monitor every word if your voice is loud and even if your right he will be a pain and tell everyone that your wrong and berate you and stress you out to the point where its a hostile workplace enviornment.
    -Racist manager who told me that he wanted to have nothing but his own race as in his company because his son would have a easier time in life and told the class that he has no problem letting other races go if they are not black. Classy at least he was funny by doing so.
    -No parking, you have two choices get parking by paying $250 -500 or go on the metro which is expensive in DC.
    -Most techs that know their stuff arent very good at talking to people but can speak tech very well, if your one of these people know that half of the job is BS the customer...one of my co-workers admitted he doesn't know what he is doing 80% of the time but he is good at BS their customer and the managers are okay with it. If you make up fake reports to prove that Cogent is right and the customer is wrong, this will get you ahead in the job. Most of the time the prove is text so all it is changing numbers around. If your like me and you don't like lying to the customer because you have been in the customer's shoes at the datacenters don't make much plans just take the knoweldge they train you with and find a better job.
    -When you can figure out what others cant like how to fix VPLS meshes....don't expect any appreciation from the managers, the moment you make a simple mistake your butt will be canned but most of the time they will just treaten you fire you. I heard managers talk about firing people like its encouragement.

Advice to Management

Offer praise to your hard working employees. As they become more valuable to the company they should be paid more.

6. "Grind and lots of change"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Can work accounts nationwide but now you have to work specifix accounts aka swim lanes. Aggressive pricing for data center clients

Cons

Constant change and not competitive in many markets. Organization is changing every day and no clue on what is a good account to work now.

Advice to Management

Get better pricing from your Layer 2 providers to make yourself more competitive. Reduce change as in the last 6 months the company had completely changed nosalary now hourly can't work some accounts due to a label or location etc etc spend a few dollars on laptops give reps the right tools

7. "National Account Manager"

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Fast pace, tons of opp. to grow and increase your base.

Cons

Very Cheap. Need to flexible.

8. "National Account Manager"

Former Employee - National Account Manager
    Former Employee - National Account Manager

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make some good money here

Cons

You have to work very hard and have a lot of luck

9. "Great Commission Structure"

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Great people and most offices have a great culture

Cons

The usual that come with any gig inside corporate America

10. "Hard Sale"

Pros

Great base pay and commissions.

Cons

Hard selling environment due to antiquated Sales culture.

Advice to Management

Become more progressive in Sales Division.