Cogent Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated November 1, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions (in 10 reviews)

• Free soda and coffee to fatten you up for the slaughter on a monthly basis (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low investment in employees leads to extremely high turnover (in 11 reviews)

• Micro managed call center environment (in 9 reviews)

1. "Niche Market Player More Suitable for National and Global Accounts"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely relaxed and warm company culture. You have the ability to be promoted quickly based on merit

Cons

Really need a better offering for smaller businesses. Regional account managers continue to perform the worst at the company for this very reason. Also, not offering anything other than fiber and datacenter services actually hurts the company's value prop more often than not.

Advice to Management

Find a more fulfilling career

2. "Bankruptcy"

Former Employee - Director Real Estate & Construction in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Director Real Estate & Construction in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Cogent Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bankruptcy. Learned all lot about having exit plans.

Cons

Bankruptcy Chapter 11. M&A due diligence lacking

Advice to Management

Never take your eye off the company

"NAM at Cogent"

Former Employee - NAM in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - NAM in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

High base pay and no micro management

Cons

Company doesn't seem to take itself seriously. Will allow $500 month purchase of coffee for the office but will not give a laptop??

Advice to Management

Listen to your reps, the complaints are real.

"Very cheap company but great to learn the ropes and an awesome crash course in B2B telecom sales."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Cogent Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Quick base salary acceleration. RAMs are 40-55k, NAMs are 60-80k, and GAMs are 80-90k. No real travel at all. Pretty chill once you establish a book of business (1-2 years).

Cons

RAMs and NAMs have a hard time selling a traditionally netcentric product (high bandwidth and no phones) to corporate clients. GAMs have an unrealistic 7.5k quota. Experienced sales professionals usually don't last long once they find out they can't bring their book of business over due to the strict account ownership set-up.

Advice to Management

Lower GAM quota. Change the hire from the outside first policy currently in effect to internal promotions. Might be a good idea not to treat the sale people like idiot children. Incentives need to come back.

5. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a great environment. Managers are very helpfull. Teams are great to work with and we help each other sell when needed

Cons

There are really no Cons. The work environment is great

6. "Good but hard"

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Control your own day and business

Cons

Underdeveloped management program, but small offices

7. "sales"

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Good place to gain experience in business to business sales.

Cons

Low investment in employees leads to extremely high turnover.

"Buy into the system - it can work."

Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Cogent Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hired without telecom experience. They send all new employees to HQ in DC, twice, for training and an additional sales workshop.
    -Dress is relaxed, no need to wear suits or anything that nice, unless you schedule offsite meetings, as this job is almost completely inside sales/networking.
    -Cogent circuits install! You get decent commissions on your sales and unlike other telcos, you dont have to worry about orders being canceled and not getting paid for them!

Cons

Not really any leads at all to work with, you must find everything yourself!
    -Most people we call dont really know Cogent because they dont spend on advertising!! Sometimes very difficult to compete with the big boys (Verizon and ATT etc) when everyone knows them and not us.

-Do not put a whole lot of stock into what sales training suggests. Their approaches will only work in the southern US or in canada or the western US where people actually have time to speak with you.
    In major markets, especially NYC, people only want the services if they absolutely need it and you are concise, and able to make their lives easier.
    -Most major markets are completely saturated because there are so many reps across the country who hoard accounts even if they are not getting anywhere with them. You need to scratch and claw to find interested accounts, and do everything right to nail down the sale.

Office is very basic, no room to eat lunch, no TV in the break room. No Summer Fridays where most ppl get to leave early (I dont think 3:30 on a Friday is too much to ask)

Compensation is nothing to smile at. Virtually no room to grow here and they do not give salary increases.

Advice to Management

Advertise more! Hire more marketing employees and run social media marketing to get our name out there! This is a pretty good company but can be a lot better if they weren't so old fashioned in their business practices! Do not just rely on sales reps to get our name out.

-Reward employees for their hard work! Never came across a company that won't give raises after a certain amount of time or performance. This would be the reason I leave when the time comes.

"You want the truth? Can you handle stress?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee to fatten you up for the slaughter on a monthly basis. Miami location near the beach, San Diego location near the beach. Seattle in the latest Data center complete with cafeteria to again fatten you up!

Cons

Oh boy here is where you hear the stuff the recruiter didn't tell you. First off I took the gig to see if this would be a good fit or not, in the end it wasn't for me and I left on my terms. But here is what you should really know, (the stuff that makes this site so worth it for sure) Only seriously consider this company if you are starting out in sales ( fresh outta college) sales and are in between gigs and looking for a paycheck. Dave Schaffer is the one leading the show, and apparently everything goes through him. And I mean everything. IMHO that’s too much power for someone that has the company traded on NASDAQ, but I digress. This is to give you some perspective on why you should or shouldn’t consider Cogent. They have four main sales roles: NAM, RAM, GAM and ISR. National Account Manager, Regional Account Manager, Global Account Manager and Inside Sales Representative. I was a GAM, so you get to hear this from my perspective. The GAM is a high profile role with little upside unless you have been there about 3-4 years. As a GAM what does that title give you? no travel, no opportunity and more pressure to make 50-80 calls a day using sales force as a metric tool from a call center, work from home is not an option. Also you have to do your own prospecting, there is no Marketing support, so don’t expect a book of leads to come in your way. They call the mornings the golden time to prospect, they all start at 830 am eastern and end at 5pm eastern. Yes you are frowned upon if you leave early, get the picture? You have to do your own research and Cogent does no national advertising. They only do data center tours as their largest marketing push. The call centers are converted old PSI net properties and it shows. Generally warehouse buildings with call centers in front or data centers with low, low cubes, possibly sick buildings, and a frat house/ High School Click mentality with staff and management. Sounds like fun right?
    The people at my location in VA were nice that were there longer than 1 year in tenure for the most part, but don't expect to be there long, they have a very high churn rate. If you like living in the early days of telco (2000's) with a passion for a company that has no desire to sell more than 4 products and NOT sell to the federal government and lives by the motto “dumb pipe for smart people” and provides a backstabbing cliquish High School mentality then go ahead, knock yourself out. Financially realistically when talking with other folks and looking at my numbers you won't make more than 125k after your first 12-18 months on the job or in fact probably not much more than that year over year in your career in one of the 4 positions if at all. There is a low-ball base and a monthly target goal that is impossible by design to reach after your 4th month on ramp up, unless you have been there 4-5 years( and if you are there that long well then good for you) But please look elsewhere if you want to make more money with the amount of stress and misguided management that runs the company.
    There I have said my peace, you are old enough to make your own decision, I would say avoid them and try your luck with other ISP's that treat their employees with better pay and products that are relevant for the 21st century customer. Like a Verizon, AWS, GOOGLE or Level3 etc…that make smart pipe for smart customers and care about their employees. Or if you still like your gig with Starbucks stay there, it's less hassle for your time. No one job is perfect, nor is one company, but I was very disappointed even for the low bar standards I set for myself with Cogent. Good luck and happy Job hunting, hopefully this was helpful.

Advice to Management

Do some HR refresh training for the new hires, offer work from home as an option across the board.

10. "Not too shabby"

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

They hired me with no experience.

Cons

It's cold calling and hard to find leads.