Coghlan Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CFG Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Friendly work environment. Great location and food options close by for lunch breaks. Open door policy in the office, easy communication with advisers and IT department. Equal distribution of work for interns and increased responsibilities with experience/time. Learning sessions with adviser teaches the interns how the industry works, how to become an adviser and general tips on sales techniques and what to expect in regards to certifications requirements.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between the interns' data entry. Parking may be difficult to find.

Advice to Management

Try to go paperless and have an organized online database that everyone can access/update.

"Re"

Former Employee - Retirement Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Retirement Associate in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are extremely nice. They want to see you do well and further yourself. The best part is that you have day to day contact with the CEO and analyst. They have been working in this industry for a long time and have lots of experience. They are willing to answer all your questions. Great place to start out during college.

Cons

The parking can be a bit slim. You might have to arrive a bit early in order to ensure you're on time.

3. "College student intern"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Assistant in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- young environment
    - various job rolls
    - perfect intro to field of finance
    - fun coworkers
    - lively environment
    - flexible work schedule

Cons

- professional attire (some would say)
    - shared office for interns

"Terrible internship program"

Pros

Nice office. That is about it. They dont pay you so its an easy decision to quit.

Cons

Cold calling. Sometimes they would make us drive to different AT&T locations and drop off flyers promoting their retirement planning service. One of the managers would always play poker in his office. Also graydon once had is drop off money he owed for something gambling related. Shady shady shady.

Coghlan Financial Group Response

Jan 14, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for my company. I would like to take this time to address some of your concerns. In the 24 years I have been in the industry, I have employed more than... More

"Got My Foot In The Door"

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coghlan Financial is an outstanding company to work for. The knowledge and sales skills I gained in working here have been extremely useful in building my career and in the day-to-day world. I appreciate the hands on approach this firm has in educating employees in retirement planning and giving them a realistic view on what its like if one wants to "make it" as a financial advisor. CFG has helped cultivate me into a person with vigorous sales skills and extensive knowledge in retirement, giving me the upper hand in the competitive world of finance.

Cons

Because this job is mostly composed of fast-paced, high volume sales it really isn't a job that everyone can do. If you are tenacious, positive, personable, and like a challenge- this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Casual Fridays! Just kidding. I have no advice for management, however, I do want to thank them for the opportunity in working at CFG Wealth Management. As mentioned, I gained valuable skills and knowledge into the financial world. I can attribute part of my success in this industry to what I learned in working at this company.

6. "Financial Advising Inernship"

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group full-time

Pros

It is an independent financial planner. All levels of employment work tightly together in a cohesive team. As an intern I have had more face time with the company's founder and senior management that I have had in any of my past work experience. Having this level of access to industry professionals has allowed me to learn and grow more than I would have anticipated on the outset.

Cons

The company is small however it is growing rapidly.

"Up-close look at financial advising"

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chance to work closely with top executives on financial planning. Would recommend this to anyone interested in becoming a financial advisor down the road. You get ample face time and the ability to ask questions regarding financial planning strategies. Advisor's here seem to truly care about their clients, which is a rarity in this industry. Co-workers seemed willing to help answer all of my questions.

Cons

Parking in the garage costs money, so I typically had to park on the street and walk to work. The office is sandwiched between two major freeways so traffic before/after work is tough.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I appreciate the level of care you take when handling your clients savings

"Great team to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling with a friendly work environment. Co-workers are nice and easy to get along with. Family type atmosphere. The location is right across from the Westfield UTC mall. The courtyard is a very nice setting with ponds and waterfalls to eat your lunch by. The CEO is very friendly and tends to take care of his employees more than any other employer I have ever worked for. I am appreciated for my talents and get compensated for my input and efforts. This is the definition of getting out what you put in.

Cons

There may be times that you have to stay late, or come in early, but then again, most jobs can say the same. Saturday work is a possibility. Parking can be a real pain, and the traffic coming and going from work can take its toll as well.

"Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really open and friendly upper management. Have daily meetings with Graydon, the financial advisor here, to discuss any questions/concerns we have for the day. The job is pretty straightforward. Call prospective clients and get them in for a consult. Salary is great for an entry level job. Great for networking and getting your foot in the door if you want to be a financial advisor. Very professional and friendly work staff as well. Lots of bonus opportunities if you can get a high net worth client in, so hard work definitely doesn't go unnoticed!

Cons

They want you to work a 20hr/week minimum schedule. Kind of hard to manage if you're a full time student. I'd recommend easing back on classes if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet other interns

Cons

There is really no training. All you do is cold call all day. The leads are almost impossible to get. Bonus incentives are beyond reachable.

Advice to Management

Create a training program for the interns and develop a growth path