Cognex Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cognex President, CEO and Director Robert Willett
Robert Willett

"Good atmosphere and culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cognex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, smart people to work with; great market and rise rapidly. Can learn things quickly by doing work and from others.

Cons

Salary on the lower end in the tech industry. Pressure can be quite high at times especially when it comes from customers' demand.

Advice to Management

Considering the high living cost of Boston and the industry average, compensation needs to be noticeably improved to better retain and attract top people. Put more financial emphasis on engineering department, where the core work gets done. This is the core competence of the whole company and also what has been widely done in the leading tech companies.

2. "Pretty Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at Cognex full-time

Pros

Cognex is a different and innovative company. Its a mixture of east coast business attitude when dealing with customers, and west coast start up mentality when working as a team and bonding.

Cons

Some managers are not great team players. Increasing team size to meet demand can be slow.

3. "SQA Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upton, MA

I have been working at Cognex (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, benefits, people, play hard

Cons

Management, pay, disorganization, lack of direction

4. "Terrific company"

Former Employee - Former Senior Management- Multiple Functions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Former Senior Management- Multiple Functions in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This is a terrific company with a great culture. They celebrate success but remain serious about their work, their technology and their customer. I surrounded by terrific and incredibly capable people and I was rewarded for performance. My team was equally enthusiastic about the company as an employer while I was there.

Cons

Little to none other than that a significant share of their revenue trends with the global manufacturing sector, which can lead to ups/downs. They have done a lot to diversify their served market in recent years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. My experience there was excellent.

"Good place for someone seeking a work-life balance."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at Cognex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The chairman's policy is that you should be smart and be able to make the right decision, instead of being by-the-book and following rules and directions. "Do what YOU think is right.".
    Thinking out of the box is somewhat encouraged.

Good middle management as well, at least those who I have to work with.

The atmosphere is mostly friendly and not too uptight. Rather relaxed in fact. You can strike up a conversation with your boss during lunch on something totally not work-related. Even the CEO can occasionally come down and have a casual talk with the code monkeys.

There is little pressure, at least I find working here more relaxed than grad school. Colleagues are usually willing to help.

There is diversity in what you get to work on. Software, hardware. You get a main project but you get to do various different things every day.

Very good job security. A lot of people work here for over 20, 25, even over 30 years

Fun corporate culture. Like, really.

If you want to work only 40 hours a week - you will probably be able to do so most of the time. Overtime is occasionally needed, but very rarely are you pushed to work late. And usually management isn't going to ask many questions if you want to take a day off now and then, as long as you get your work done and either put in PTO or compensate by working more on other days.

The company is actively growing as of 2015. I expect a lot of positive changes within the next years. At least quantitatively.

Cons

The salaries are somewhat on the lower half of the spectrum. A bit. The stress is also lower than what I perceive as the average, so that's not too bad.

The development process can be a bit disorganized. The company is growing quickly the last few years, and there are growing pains: many processes are changing, stuff gets out of synch. Then sometimes there's a task that has to be done but A thinks it's B's job, B thinks it's C's responsibility, and C has no clue about it at all.

Sometimes the people needed to get something done are overseas, or unreachable for days, for whatever reasons.

Working remotely doesn't work. You have to be on site to get anything done.

Sometimes lots money is wasted on useless stuff, and then budgets are tight for stuff that is really needed for labs, etc.

6. "Company Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at Cognex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Cognex for three years and currently lead a small team. It amazes me the strength of its culture and how it supports its employees. Unlike my previous company, Cognex wants its employees to stay for the long term. It's "Work Hard, Play Hard, Most Fast" culture is a big reason employees stay. It invest in areas that have previously been challenged like the HR organization, and I can see the difference in terms of support to employees and managers. It invest in the engineering organization and continues to hire top talent. I get to work on cool projects and feel challenged by my work with my team.

Cons

Not really a downside, but Cognex needs to invest more in employee development and career development. I want to be clear about my engineering path forward and how I can continue to build my skills and experiences.

Advice to Management

Invest more into employees. Provide training and tools to managers. Keep strengthening the great parts of the culture!

"Software Engineer at Cognex"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Natick, MA

I worked at Cognex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Things like movie night, $5000 trip after being there for 10 years and higher amounts for 15, 20 and 25 years, Halloween celebration with huge prizes for best costume just to name a few.

Cons

Company is in a big growth mode so with that come the challenges of keeping the smaller startup feel. Currently don't have a work from home option which could make it difficult to attract the younger generation.

"Work hard, play hard."

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Specialist in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Specialist in Natick, MA

Pros

Cognex demands a lot of their employees, and they will tell you this at the first interview. However if you enjoy working with intelligent, hard working people you won't mind the long hours. They also go out of their way to make sure employees feel appreciated with parties, recognition awards, bonuses.

Cons

Dr. Bob (the founder) doesn't always want to hear opinions that differ from his own.

Advice to Management

Continue to show employee appreciation, provide flexibility for family life so people do not have to choose one or the other.

9. "Cognex is a good place to work."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Natick, MA

Pros

Smart management. Puts company and employee needs ahead of personal needs. Rewards and incentives for top performers.

Cons

Management is smart and knowledgeable but doesn't always listen to younger engineers or others hired from the outside that might have good ideas too.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company. Take some risks to diversify. You have great knowledge that can be applied to new markets.

"Great Company, great people"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

Great People, great culture. All the people I met, they are all very nice and willing to help. The company has a geek culture, which is good for an engineer. Managers are humble and visionary. This is a great company.

Cons

Work load is up and down severely. The technology used is not generic, which is not that good for personal career development.