Cogo Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Mira Wilczek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

Amazing work environment and people. Everyone is super smart and friendly

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this point.

Thanks! We think so too!

2. "Smartest group of people I've ever worked with"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

Cogo places a tremendous amount of effort into recruiting intelligent, driven, and friendly young professionals. I cannot say I have ever worked in a better culture with more analytical people than I have at Cogo. Would very much recommend friends to apply here if they are passionate about working with big data.

Cons

I cannot name a single one

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior HR Business Partner

Thanks! We have tons of openings right now so if you have friends that might be interested, send them our way!

3. "Great place to learn and grow with excellent people"

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You'll work with a very high proportion of smart and driven people, and the company is small enough that you can get to know everyone withing 6 months if you try.
    - Work life balance is as good as you can hope for from a place that is trying to create new companies (which is hard, and takes a lot of work from everyone involved).
    - The CEO, chairman, and board are extremely knowledgeable about starting businesses. If you have a real interest in this, you should try to get to know them (which is very possible based on how flat the org is).
    - While my circumstances aligned nicely for this, I was able to start managing within two years of being hired- very atypical for most early career jobs.
    - It's a fun place, which is great if you care about more than putting in your 9-5 and going home.
    - New employee/ manager training has been more of a priority.

Cons

Manager training for mid-level people could still use work, though this is a difficult problem due to the small company size.
    Besides that I have no serious cons for Cogo that you wouldn't find at most other small tech companies. My main reason for leaving involved changing industries from the internet/tech sector for new career goals, so I had almost no Cogo-specific problems when I left.

Many of the complaints about Cogo from older reviews have been worked on extensively in the during the "growing pains" phase of the company. It's very different to run a 100 person company than it is to run a 40-50 person company, and Cogo jumped that size gap in under a year.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind how to balance hiring mostly new college grads vs. time lost to repeat work/ knowledge rediscovery.

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior HR Business Partner

Thank you!! Come back and visit sometime. We've just finished running our first four-part manager training course and are adding new programs for experienced managers and people who think they might... More

4. "New grads and analytical thinkers"

Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

strong ties to startup and tech culture, meaning you get to take ownership of cool projects and learn from your peers, but with a more reasonable work/life balance and stability in place from the years of experience across teams. there's a large emphasis on analysts making decisions, setting goals, and building the necessary tools, so you don't have to be a computer science whiz to make it here. a lot of recent graduates and the company emphasizes building career paths for young entrepreneurs. it's really cool how transparent the culture is, and there are a lot of opportunities to interface with the executive staff. the on boarding process is becoming a lot more straightforward with cogoversity trainings, and you can generally find folks to help you if you're ever stuck.

Cons

diversity, but that seems to be an issue across tech (there are monthly women's dinners but wish there were also resources for LGBTQ and POC communities)

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior HR Business Partner

Hey! Following up on this now that we can share that in addition to our monthly Women's Dinners, we now have Spectra - a group dedicated to providing a supportive and affirming space for Cogo’s... More

5. "Launch your career at Cogo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredible learning opportunity: learn to program, learn digital advertising
    - Grow and launch your career into technology quickly
    - No technical background needed
    - Manage others early on; lots of responsibility

Cons

- Duplication of work across teams
    - Should focus more on product development instead of marketing
    - Large equity stakes in companies launched from incubator

6. "Putting in a good word"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

More than anything else, a defining factor of Cogo so far has been the quality of people. Cogo makes a point of hiring decent people (in addition to competent ones) and everyone is therefore fun, supportive, and friendly.
    Employees are treated quite well and the work is interesting and dynamic.

Cons

Onboarding is something Cogo is continuing to work on and when I went through it, it was a bit overwhelming at times and lacking direction at others.
    Cogo could also be a bit more upfront about their business model which is more advertising focused than is initially apparent.

Advice to Management

Overall, keep up the good work!

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior HR Business Partner

Hey - thanks for the feedback. In regards to onboarding specifically, we now have LAUNCH which all new hires attend during their first week. It's a great program that helps you learn more about Cogo... More

7. "Great company for recent graduates"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Feels like a tech start up, but not unreasonable hours. Lots of effort put into keeping employees happy (perks), and generally great people. Mostly young - even in high ranking positions, so lots of room for growth. Also, plenty of interaction/familiarity with higher-ups, and generally people from all different roles within the company. Because of the small/start of environment, you experience a lot of different roles and can move around within the company to match your interests.

Cons

Spent 5 minutes thinking and...can't come up with anything concrete.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing people and their right to a life outside of work! Thanks

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks so much for the feedback. Recently there was an engineering talk where Geech described one of our goals as not just creating sustainable systems, but sustainable work habits. I think that's... More

8. "Learn from great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Results driven atmosphere. Very transparent - company wide meetings are once a month. Everyone is hungry to learn/share/improve/help others. Lots of great tools and data to harness. Regular exposure to, and interaction with, senior management. They've created a culture that accepts trial and error as a means to achieve larger, longer term goals. Cogo Fun is frequent. Within a year at Cogo, you could be managing a team and a PnL.

Cons

There is an assumption that you know how do execute certain tasks unless you raise your hand and ask. No one here will patronize you, but you could be left behind unless you inquire. Don't be shy, your colleagues will help.

Advice to Management

Standardize on-boarding. Keep up the transparency and highlighting the big picture. This is a great place for early career professions to not only hone their technical/analytic skills, but also develop as leaders.

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for your review. We completely overhauled our on-boarding program at the beginning of the summer and are continually making updates to it in order to figure out how to give new... More

9. "great for data analysts"

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

The people, everyone is super helpful

Cons

Would have liked more projects to work on

Advice to Management

Training and documentation for analysts

10. "Got to be part of a strong team"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to be part of a strong team, got to work on a variety of fun, creative projects, although not all of them took off or went very far. Was also lucky to have a manager who actually worked to understand what I wanted in my career, and tried to help me reach my goals. EVen though ultimately my career took me elsewhere.

Cons

The type of projects Cogo is building are very early stage. Most of the work does not require deep data science skills. And for that reason there wasn't a lot of mentorship in data science.

Advice to Management

Try to focus on product creation, revenue is important but don't get so distracted by marketing that you lose sight of the opportunity to build cool things. Also please keep investing in the culture, make sure Cogo is always a positive environment for the employees.

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Really appreciate this feedback, thank you. I think it's true that if you're interested in deep data science research, the people doing that work tend to be at the verticals more than on the core... More