Cogo Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Cogo Labs CEO Mira Wilczek
Mira Wilczek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company for recent graduates"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Feels like a tech start up, but not unreasonable hours. Lots of effort put into keeping employees happy (perks), and generally great people. Mostly young - even in high ranking positions, so lots of room for growth. Also, plenty of interaction/familiarity with higher-ups, and generally people from all different roles within the company. Because of the small/start of environment, you experience a lot of different roles and can move around within the company to match your interests.

Cons

Spent 5 minutes thinking and...can't come up with anything concrete.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing people and their right to a life outside of work! Thanks

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks so much for the feedback. Recently there was an engineering talk where Geech described one of our goals as not just creating sustainable systems, but sustainable work habits. I think that's... More

2. "New grads and analytical thinkers"

Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

strong ties to startup and tech culture, meaning you get to take ownership of cool projects and learn from your peers, but with a more reasonable work/life balance and stability in place from the years of experience across teams. there's a large emphasis on analysts making decisions, setting goals, and building the necessary tools, so you don't have to be a computer science whiz to make it here. a lot of recent graduates and the company emphasizes building career paths for young entrepreneurs. it's really cool how transparent the culture is, and there are a lot of opportunities to interface with the executive staff. the on boarding process is becoming a lot more straightforward with cogoversity trainings, and you can generally find folks to help you if you're ever stuck.

Cons

diversity, but that seems to be an issue across tech (there are monthly women's dinners but wish there were also resources for LGBTQ and POC communities)

3. "Launch your career at Cogo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredible learning opportunity: learn to program, learn digital advertising
    - Grow and launch your career into technology quickly
    - No technical background needed
    - Manage others early on; lots of responsibility

Cons

- Duplication of work across teams
    - Should focus more on product development instead of marketing
    - Large equity stakes in companies launched from incubator

4. "Putting in a good word"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

More than anything else, a defining factor of Cogo so far has been the quality of people. Cogo makes a point of hiring decent people (in addition to competent ones) and everyone is therefore fun, supportive, and friendly.
    Employees are treated quite well and the work is interesting and dynamic.

Cons

Onboarding is something Cogo is continuing to work on and when I went through it, it was a bit overwhelming at times and lacking direction at others.
    Cogo could also be a bit more upfront about their business model which is more advertising focused than is initially apparent.

Advice to Management

Overall, keep up the good work!

5. "Learn from great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Results driven atmosphere. Very transparent - company wide meetings are once a month. Everyone is hungry to learn/share/improve/help others. Lots of great tools and data to harness. Regular exposure to, and interaction with, senior management. They've created a culture that accepts trial and error as a means to achieve larger, longer term goals. Cogo Fun is frequent. Within a year at Cogo, you could be managing a team and a PnL.

Cons

There is an assumption that you know how do execute certain tasks unless you raise your hand and ask. No one here will patronize you, but you could be left behind unless you inquire. Don't be shy, your colleagues will help.

Advice to Management

Standardize on-boarding. Keep up the transparency and highlighting the big picture. This is a great place for early career professions to not only hone their technical/analytic skills, but also develop as leaders.

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for your review. We completely overhauled our on-boarding program at the beginning of the summer and are continually making updates to it in order to figure out how to give new... More

6. "great for data analysts"

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

The people, everyone is super helpful

Cons

Would have liked more projects to work on

Advice to Management

Training and documentation for analysts

7. "Got to be part of a strong team"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to be part of a strong team, got to work on a variety of fun, creative projects, although not all of them took off or went very far. Was also lucky to have a manager who actually worked to understand what I wanted in my career, and tried to help me reach my goals. EVen though ultimately my career took me elsewhere.

Cons

The type of projects Cogo is building are very early stage. Most of the work does not require deep data science skills. And for that reason there wasn't a lot of mentorship in data science.

Advice to Management

Try to focus on product creation, revenue is important but don't get so distracted by marketing that you lose sight of the opportunity to build cool things. Also please keep investing in the culture, make sure Cogo is always a positive environment for the employees.

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Really appreciate this feedback, thank you. I think it's true that if you're interested in deep data science research, the people doing that work tend to be at the verticals more than on the core... More

8. "people and culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, I really enjoyed everyone I worked with and the mentorship from senior people

Cons

Wanted to focus more on a product.

Advice to Management

A code review system would be helpful. I would have liked more feedback on my work.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

We totally agree, code reviews are super helpful, and our engineering leadership team is putting in more process in place around this. Getting thoughtful feedback and learning about best practices... More

9. "Gave me a good start to my career"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people. Tons of great technology. You get a lot of autonomy to learn and try new things. Often people start out as data analysts and later move into engineering roles. They give you a lot of freedom, which is great.

Cons

Some growing pains around spinning out verticals. There's room for better processes there, but it seems like they're starting to work on that a bit. Not a lot of insight into why some projects get spun out and others don't.

Advice to Management

Regular check-ins with managers are common but yearly reviews should be more strictly managed. I had one early on and then none later. Develop more structure and clear expectations around getting your ideas spun out.

Jun 21, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for the review, this is all great feedback. We've already rolled out better processes to make sure our employee review system is actually being accessed and utilized appropriately... More

10. "Great Place to Grow; Not a Good Place to Stay"

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great coworkers and office culture. The culture is quite amazing, where everyone is quite accessible and willing to help you and work with you.
    - Amazing place to grow if you are proactive. If you want to do something or learn something, there's almost always room for it.

Cons

- The business plan is too limiting to the amount of talent and collaboration that can go on at Cogo. The business plan heavily revolves around email marketing, without full consideration that the business plan can go go wrong. Meanwhile, because of the focus on email marketing, no other possibilities are considered or explored, despite it being a "startup incubator/accelerator".
    - A lot of growing pains involving management, but that should be common in any company this young. Most of the managers that remain are quite amazing people, although not all.
    - The company is very passive in managing their employees. Sometimes the culture of trust gets abused, and there's definitely favoritism.

Advice to Management

Don't be so passive!

Jun 7, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for the feedback! We're thrilled to hear you found everyone to be accessible and willing to help. That culture of collaboration and learning is something we see as essential to the... More