Cogo Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Cogo Labs CEO Mira Wilczek
Mira Wilczek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company for recent graduates"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Feels like a tech start up, but not unreasonable hours. Lots of effort put into keeping employees happy (perks), and generally great people. Mostly young - even in high ranking positions, so lots of room for growth. Also, plenty of interaction/familiarity with higher-ups, and generally people from all different roles within the company. Because of the small/start of environment, you experience a lot of different roles and can move around within the company to match your interests.

Cons

Spent 5 minutes thinking and...can't come up with anything concrete.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing people and their right to a life outside of work! Thanks

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks so much for the feedback. Recently there was an engineering talk where Geech described one of our goals as not just creating sustainable systems, but sustainable work habits. I think that's... More

"Could not ask for a better place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not sure where the other reviewer was working... but there's very little politics, almost no red tape, and tons of resources at your disposal at Cogo. There are tons of brilliant employees and the environment is incredibly relaxed.

-Tons of events with free food/beer
    -You get to use whatever tools/software you want
    -No BS... everyone here is driven by the end result
    - Tons of growth in the past year and a great deal of potential moving forward
    - Extremely interesting work... the data you get to work with here is the stuff of dreams
    - Managers are pragmatic

Cons

- Salaries are on the low side, but on par with what you'd expect from a startup. This will likely change in the coming years
    - Stressful
    - Incubator tries to fly under the radar (for various reasons) so very little name recognition

Advice to Management

Try to keep the quality of the hiring up. In particular, try recruiting more analysts with a programming background.

Jul 3, 2014 – Director, Talent Development

Thank you! And yes we agree we need more analysts who have programming backgrounds. We are looking! And don't forget about our referral bonus, if any amazing people cross your path!

3. "Best Job with an Awesome Group of People"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with extremely smart people in a super friendly environment. Never-ending snacks and fun company outings.

Cons

Hearing people drink outside at CBC during the summer while working inside. Office design is a bit haphazard and could use a facelift for a little more relaxation and flow. HVAC issues in the middle of summer can be brutal.

Advice to Management

More department outings!

Oct 8, 2014 – Director, Talent Development

We WISH the HVAC issues were limited to the middle of summer :( The building managers say a new system is on the way! We'll see!

Thank you for the review!

"Learned tons, great people."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Smart peers
    Collaborative work environment
    Agile company

Cons

The typical challenges that come with transitioning from small to midsize company

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and help managers become better managers.

May 4, 2015 – Director, Talent Development

Thank you for the feedback! We are definitely in transition from small to midsize and we are doing everything we can to grow in a way that preserves the fun stuff about our culture while offering... More

"Working at Cogo Labs"

Pros

Smart, driven, and creative employees who make work fun and exciting. Amazing environment to learn and develop new skills while contributing meaningfully to projects.

Cons

Growing pains are felt from time to time. Communication breakdowns across teams are definitely something to watch out for.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Be transparent. Provide feedback on performance.

Nov 24, 2015 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks for the review. Communication and transparency are definitely important areas for us to focus on and I share your concerns there. I do think our new review process that we've just rolled out... More

"Best co-workers!"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

The team I work with at Cogo Labs is the smartest, most innovative, ambitious, and fun group I've been a part of. I genuinely like spending time with my coworkers whether it's tossing around ideas at work or getting drinks on a Friday or renting a house for the weekend to go skiing. They're awesome.
    Other pros:
    - stocked kitchen
    - cold brew coffee on tap
    - great benefits (they pay for your transportation to/from work)
    - catered lunch on Friday
    - generous raises
    - fun team and company outings (boat cruise, bowling, Codzilla..)

Cons

- half the office is brand new, but the other half hasn't been renovated yet
    - there are a LOT of acronyms and it takes a while to learn the technical lingo here
    - we always know the super high level plan and our day-to-day, but maybe not always the goals in between

Advice to Management

- communicate goals (long and short term) more frequently
    - celebrate small successes more

"Most interesting job & best co-workers I've ever had"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

Cogo has great engineers--some of the best I've ever worked with .
    Everyone--regardless of title--has the opportunity to learn new skills. Campaign managers & analysts can write code; engineers get into business analysis.
    Co-workers are amazingly smart and supportive of each other. It's a very rational & low-ego environment.
    Significant financial upside for employees when big successes occur.

Cons

Sometimes priorities change abruptly in an attempt to be agile and take advantage of new opportunities. If that's the right call, it's great. But sometimes it's the wrong call and can cause confusion and misspent effort.
    Extreme focus on working on the most important business priorities. Sounds good in principle but some potentially valuable projects with long-term payoff are consistently under-worked.
    Senior managers spend a lot of time in meetings, which cuts into time to working with their teams.

Advice to Management

Put more resources into training up-and-coming managers.
    Limit time spent in regular weekly meetings to make more time for ad-hoc meetings and small-group collaboration.

"Setting the record straight"

Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EDIT - sorry for the poor formatting. Glassdoor doesn't let you format well.

- Scalable, repeatable, easy-to-understand business model
    - Merit-based career advancement opportunities
    - Startups rarely have to take outside money, which leads to employees owning a higher % of the company
    - Maybe the fastest place in the Boston area to advance and grow your career. If you work hard here, you can literally be running a company by age 30

Cons

- Laser-focused on a particular model of growing companies, which isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

I'm going to use this section to address some of the recent reviews written here about this company, which have not-so-coincidentally overlapped in timing with a few departures on the Analyst team.

Scanning the reviews, it seems like there have been two main concerns voiced about Cogo:
    1) The company largely sends "email spam" and has no vision.
    2) A "frat culture" where select employees are chosen to get promoted or get interesting projects for non-merit based reasons.

I think the first concern is half-legitimate. Yes, Cogo sends a lot of unsolicited email for revenue purposes and to test email marketing deliverability. However, these activities are part of a larger plan to scale and grow startups without having to take outside money, and eventually create a market-disrupting product. This vision is repeated ad nauseum during monthly company meetings, so for people to write reviews claiming there is "no vision" is confusing to me. I feel like I'm bombarded with the vision every month.

Maybe what these reviewers really mean is that they don't agree with the company vision, and that's ok. I understand that we're not exactly saving the world here with our activities, and if this isn't for you, then no hard feelings. But, please don't confuse "I don't agree with the vision" with "no vision" when writing a review. It's very unhelpful to prospective employees who are looking at Glassdoor for real info on the company.

Moving on to the second concern - the concern of a culture of managers hand picking superstars (the connotation being that this isn't a "fair" merit-based approach). Of course, I can't personally guarantee that every promotion or new job responsibility is 100% awarded on merit, but this is a suspicious concern in the world of internet marketing and software development. Cogo is incredibly data driven, and every project is evaluated on clear, objective metrics. It should be obvious even to the most incompetent of managers which analysts are doing well and which ones aren't, because we work at a company where everything is objectively evaluated with data and statistics. In my experience here, employees who are consistently delivering quality analysis and results are promoted, and those who don't, aren't. And it's plainly obvious across the company which people fall into which category because of the transparency and objectivity of the metrics.

I'm going to make a hypothesis here - maybe, just maybe, those people who were sitting in the back of the company meeting and playing with their phones every month (and therefore weren't hearing the vision) are the same people who weren't constantly delivering quality work. And maybe, when they weren't promoted or were told to seek employment elsewhere, they were more likely to cry foul about how they were "never given a chance" because managers "liked other people better." This could explain why these concerns seem to go hand-in-hand.

And it's not exactly a new phenomenon that people are more likely to blame circumstances out of their control instead of themselves when their career isn't going how they planned. That's just how people are.

In conclusion, you can probably tell that my experience at Cogo has been different than the experience of those one-star reviewers. As long as you buy in to the vision, and continue to work hard, there is no better place to start or accelerate a career than at Cogo.

"Great Place to Start a Career"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst

Pros

Cogo was a fantastic place to start my career. Coming out of college, it's virtually impossible to find a job where you know how your work matters to the company, can directly measure your impact on the organization, advance rapidly, and advise senior leadership about what direction you think your project should go-- when you back it up with sound data, they'll nearly never turn you down. Instead they're more likely to reward you with resources and advancement and welcome your initiative.

Cons

Frat/drinking culture with pressure to drink and be 'one of the guys'

Advice to Management

Not all smart people are a fit for this fast-paced, growth-oriented environment, so stop wasting your time on them. Regular house-cleaning of people who simply aren't a fit will just enrich the experience for the rest AND grow your bottom line faster.

10. "great for data analysts"

I worked at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

The people, everyone is super helpful

Cons

Would have liked more projects to work on

Advice to Management

Training and documentation for analysts