Cohen & Steers Reviews | Glassdoor

Cohen & Steers CEO Robert H. Steers
Robert H. Steers
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work depending on who you work for"

I have been working at Cohen & Steers full-time

Pros

I’ve been working here for several years now and have had a very positive experience, because I'm in a good group with good management.

Excellent pay, competitive benefits. Super nice people and focused, talented workforce. Senior management seems to be taking active steps to improve overall culture and employee satisfaction.

I think this is a great place to work overall.

Cons

Seemingly zero drive or initiative to get rid of toxic managers. Most managers are excellent--this is a case of a few bad apples really bringing down the whole firm, which I think skews the reviews here. 360s were recently implemented (pro) but exclude senior managers (con). This creates the appearance of a leadership vacuum or overly-insular culture at the top, whether true or not.

As others have stated, there has been lack of progress on ways to improve work/life balance: some departments have normal, sane policies, while other groups seem to be expected to work 60+ hour weeks nonstop. This has been changing apparently but it should be a higher priority, imo. It's a relatively small firm so I take this in stride as normal growing pains, but would of course like to see more rapid improvements.

Advice to Management

Continue or accelerate improvements in overall employee experience. Take a stand against toxic managers. Ask yourself: where does your impression of different business groups come from--is it from the same toxic managers who are causing havoc behind the scenes? How can you verify what you are being told? I urge management to examine their own information sources and see how they can get a more thorough and honest view of what's going on, then take decisive action based on the results.

"Women, minorities and parents beware"

I worked at Cohen & Steers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location. It's across the street from the metro north

Cons

Reposted due to Glassdoor removing this review:

“I am posting this on Women's Day for a reason. This firm has a glass ceiling. If you are a woman or minority, do not expect to ever be promoted, compensated for hard work, or recognized for dedication or independent ideas.

Expecting mothers and parents beware! This firm systemically pushes out mothers. In the 7 years I worked there, NOT ONE woman has returned from maternity leave. The majority of those roles were replaced with men. My concerns were reported to HR Department and brushed under the rug stating that the problem was me. If you have a grievance do not waste your time reporting it to HR. Their sole job is to protect the firm.

Warning to parents and those who want a life outside of work. There is a requirement to "always be accessible". My manager and other employees emailed all evening and most weekends. We had to come into the office on some holidays. Taking a lunch break is frowned upon even though the mandatory work day is 9 hours (not 8). This is the only firm I've worked for to frequently have "brown bag lunch meetings" where you're expected to bring your own lunch to eat during company meetings.

In conclusion - Glass ceiling, lacking quality of life, no upward mobility for women/minorities, ineffective HR, legacy management, VERY very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Replace legacy management. A person may have been great as their job 5/10/20 years ago but notice when they have grown ineffective as a manager.

Focus on retaining talent. It's difficult to be efficient if the majority of your team or the teams you rely on (I.e. IT) run for the hills once a year.

Promote from within. With such a high turnover why are positions always replaced with outside hires? Take advantage of your current talent. There's zero job growth without it.

Cohen & Steers Response

Sep 7, 2017 – EVP Hr

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Cohen & Steers is committed to fostering a diverse community built on fairness and equal opportunity for all. Cohen & Steers had over 85% of its... More

"Horrible culture"

I have been working at Cohen & Steers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k match, office convenient to Grand Central/good location in general, work/life balance is ok but that is dependent on group, small firm so opportunity to learn a lot

Cons

Small firm with a bad culture. Management is
    horrendous and incapable and upper management protects them. Turnover is absurdly high - in a handful of years have seen entire departments leave and be replaced more than once because of this. These departures are then spun to blame anyone but the firm and management. If you walk to grab lunch and are gone for 15 minutes you will return to emails or calls questioning your whereabouts. The work day is 8:30-5:30 - if you are on a good team- and not being attached to your desk is noticed and heavily questioned.

There is no appreciation for hard work. If you are a woman don't expect to get promoted; most women don't even bother to return from maternity leave. No opportunities for advancement or growth as most of higher management has been here for a decade or more, most do very little work and will never leave because of this. New hires begin to look for new jobs after just weeks or months. Have had more than one new coworker end up sitting with HR in a matter of days.

Advice to Management

Get rid of ineffective and toxic management.

"Finance"

Pros

A lot of very smart people - if you want to learn it's a great place to be. Employees recognized for their hard work. Good exposure.

Cons

Culture comes from the top. Managers need to be genuine with their employees. Be open and receptive. Work with your people.

Advice to Management

Lead by example.

"Culture needs to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cohen & Steers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is not bad

Cons

A lot of unhappy employees around and as other reviewers have said not a good culture.
    Unhappy employees try to drag others down and it creates a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to be improved as otherwise good employees will continue to leave for better work environment and promotions.

"Miserable"

Pros

Pay and benefits were about as good as it gets.

Cons

Everyone there is miserable. Misery breeds misery. I'm a relatively outgoing person and learned how to shut up and be to myself. Even though pay and benefits were good, it wasn't worth sticking around people who are that miserable. Always felt as if everyone was talking about me behind me back. Office affairs. If you don't like talking to others and culture isn't important then you may thrive here.

"Fast paced, but overworked"

I worked at Cohen & Steers full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot if you are just starting out. Nice office space and the location is good. Close to various transportation hubs

Cons

Employees spread very thin. Too much work piled on each individual employee. Can be a very gossipy type of atmosphere. Senior management does not seem to care that their employees may be unhappy with their work environment. Complaints go unheeded.

"Poor management and work environment"

Former Employee - Unknown
    Former Employee - Unknown

I worked at Cohen & Steers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee selection in the kitchen

Cons

You wouldn't believe that this company manages so much $$$ in its portfolio by the way they run the office it makes one feel like you work for a non profit. No team building activities or flexibility around work schedule. I was never allowed to take a break between 8:00am - 4:00pm not enough work to get you through the day, people weren't friendly or social.

Advice to Management

Learn from other companies what it means to retain good talent. In this day and age people aren't going to put up with your poor management and social skills. If you don't have enough work for people for 8 hours every day then don't hire someone who has 5 years experience to clean the kitchen. You will be more successful if you gave interns an opportunity to learn from you

9. "Administrator"

I have been working at Cohen & Steers full-time

Pros

Salaries are fair could be better

Cons

There are many pros and cons.

"Firm with Great Potential - Seriously Dysfunctional Managers"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cohen & Steers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is a pioneer in the listed real assets space and definitely has a strong position in the REIT market. The offices are nice and the employee offerings are there including mobile phone provider discounts (it's so small it doesn't even cover tax on your bill)/discounted citibike memberships($70 a year)/401k plans with good firm matching.

Cons

The place is run backwards at times and self inflicts damages to it's own success through poor oversight and incapable upper management who have very little appreciation for the work their teams provide. At times it seams like they think work just gets done magically or that anyone would be able to preform the role when it often is anything but that as lower level employees remain and learn all the hurdles one should jump through to get their job done. Not easily learned and should be valued but they often choose not to resulting in embarrassingly high turnover.

Advice to Management

Begin to pay better attention to lower level employees or they will leave. Recently a number of key individuals left the firm as they were tired of dealing with the inefficiencies of the place and managements inability to recognize talent.