CohnReznick Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Updated September 29, 2016

Atlanta, GA Area

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank P. Longobardi

Pros
  • Great work life balance and great people to work with (in 19 reviews)

• Incredible group of people, made the tough busy season hours manageable (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season requires long hours (in 42 reviews)

• Recruiters will brag about work-life balance at CohnReznick (in 18 reviews)

"Flexible"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CohnReznick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling. Opportunities to work on a variety of clients

Cons

Work can become monotonous. Not very much excitement in the office

"They don't care about you"

Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice building, and if you are lucky you will get a great senior. Threw great parties, though I hear those have also stopped/are less fun than they used to be

Cons

Totally no long term planning, they treat you just like the big 4; less hours for sure, but the same mentality; I was here as an intern before the merger and when they merged they lost their smaller firm care/charm and are now just trying to be like every other huge firm.

Advice to Management

Show respect to employees, care about their needs and they should be willing to stay. Also, need better training for Senior Associates; they are not always efficient if not properly trained or taught how to lead.

"great company"

Former Employee - Assocciate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assocciate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick (More than a year)

Pros

work was fun, flex time during non busy seas, great vision benefits

Cons

terrible dental and health, poor communication in the office. under staffed and having to make up the work

Advice to Management

need to focus on recruiting and training. Communicate with staff on expectations periodically

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office and good location.

Cons

Very specialized, alot of skills won't transfer beyond real estate.

Advice to Management

Be honest with recruits about what the firm has to offer.

6. "Fun office but limited exposure"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Young and casual office during the busy season.

Cons

Difficult to maintain a good work life balance.

Advice to Management

More beer carts when goals are met would be nice.

7. "Challenging but the pay was pretty good"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was commensurate with the work performed.
    Office attempted to arrange for various socials to promote togetherness
    Partners took time to meet with employees to help them with the career paths

Cons

High volume clientele with little time to complete them
    Time budgets do not reflect the time necessary to perform the tasks

8. "Senior Associate - CohnReznick"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CohnReznick full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company that will keep growing.

Cons

work/life balance and compensation is merely adequate.

"Nice people"

Former Intern - Audit Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Audit Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

pay was good, 22 an hour for first 40 hours, then 33 per hour after 40. Make good money during busy season.

Cons

No real training program or objective performance evaluations.

Advice to Management

Better training and objective performance evals.

"Too many hours, too little leadership"

Former Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary above market. excellent benefits package

Cons

Total lack of work-life balance. Required 80+ hrs a week during busy. Busy season lasted 8 months. Leadership was considerably lacking the department I worked. If you had a question you were reprimanded for asking the question, then had to figure out the answer on your own, right or wrong.

Advice to Management

Understand that people may have families and would like to see them. Working 14+hrs a day 6 days a week does not allow this. Employees like to grow and feel appreciated instead of like a number.

"Be prepared to get chewed up and spat out!"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CohnReznick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Due to various mergers and acquisitions, in addition to organic growth into new markets, CohnReznick is experiencing an incredible period of expansion. If you are hard-working and ambitious, and make solid connections with the right people, you will find lots of opportunity here.

Although bonuses can leave a bit to be desired, annual pay raises are usually generous.

During busy season, the firm provides dinner four nights a week as well as breakfast and lunch on Saturdays. Management does a good job of making sure the food is not the same night after night and that there is a good variety of items to choose from. Vegetarians, vegans, and those with food allergies will have their preferences looked after.

Cons

Check your ideas about work/life balance at the door. They will not apply here.

Partners and managers have a fixation on billable time that is almost pathological, and this concern seems to trump all others. They set very ambitious billable hour goals for their seniors and staff to meet, but then pressure them to eat time (and shift time between clients) so that their engagements don't go over budget. During my last busy season at Reznick, I received the following emails from four different people on the very same day. To paraphrase:

-- Partner A: You were one hour short of your billable hour requirement last month. Why aren't you billing enough time?
    -- Manager B: "Why are you billing so much time to my clients? You're making me look bad!" (exact quote)
    -- Partner C: Why didn't you finalize your time sheet yesterday? Our firm policy yadda yadda yadda...
    -- Senior Manager D: (addressed to the whole department) We're requiring everyone to work this Saturday and Sunday and bill a minimum of 20 hours over the weekend.

In short, you are forced to play this game of "bill as much time as you can, but don't bill too much to anyone." It's a game that very few seem to master. In addition, almost all non-billable time (other than PTO and CPE) is highly scrutinized and frowned upon.

The overall message that all of this sends seniors and staff is that they are viewed as little more than cogs in a machine to help generate revenue for the partners of the firm. This message is reinforced at almost every turn.

Morale is incredibly low and turnover seems very high, even compared with other CPA firms.

During recruitment, management likes to loosely throw around the buzz phrase "we work hard, but we play hard." Really, that just means that they work hard. Any perk they consider "play" is largely forced and done at a minimum of expense, and it shows.

Manager busy season bonuses are paid in November of the same year, but senior busy season bonuses are delayed until the subsequent busy season (i.e., your bonus for busy season 2012 won't be paid until March 2013). A clever retention tool, but it has the downside of further demoralizing the group of staff on whom the work demands are often the greatest.

Office politics is rampant and flagrant. I witnessed serveral instances of managers throwing administrative and professional staff under the bus in order to save face. It's also painful to watch managers regularly schmooze the partners (listening intently to their long stories, forcing a laugh at their jokes whether or not they're funny, etc.) in a shameless effort to advance their careers and make partner themselves.

A rude and insulting client will have free reign to treat associates however he/she chooses, especially if their engagements are relatively easy and the client has a history of paying their fees in a timely manner.

Overall, firm management has little idea how to properly motivate their staff (and relies mostly on negative feedback and fear), nor do they seem to care. Also, it is clear that management prioritizes billings and firm revenue over all else, including the health and well-being of their staff. This firm's reputation in the Atlanta market for being a sweatshop is richly deserved.

Advice to Management

I know change is tough, but try to free yourself of the limiting mindset that productivity can only be measured in terms of billable hours and time budgets. There is more to it than what you can quantify. Quality of client service is also important. Other firms are making great strides here -- research what is working for them and don't be afraid to try something new.

Taking your team out to lunch at El Azteca in mid-April, and spending $6 a head, is not a proper way to "say thank you for all of your hard work this busy season." My manager did this after my first busy season and it was, quite frankly, insulting.

I realize that there are tax and cash flow incentives to delaying bonus payments until March 15 of the following year, but consider how this is received by your senior associates. And having one partner tell us each year that "this is a shame and I will push for this to change next year," only for change to never come, is further insult to injury.