Coldwater Creek Reviews | Glassdoor

Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great upper management, great customers (in 17 reviews)

• Nice place to work with great benefits, opportunities to travel and learn all aspects of the apparel industry and retail (in 15 reviews)

Cons

1. "Coldwater Creek great place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an Assistant Manager at Coldwater Creek, the initial training was very thorough. Having worked at 2 different locations, one in Northern CA and one in Southern CA, I can say company wide it was a good place to work. The sales and management teams have a good working relationship. Customers are treated fair and with respect. I'm sorry to see Coldwater Creek go out of business.

Cons

Biggest con is Coldwater Creek going out of business. Really the only drawback to working there is the same drawback of any retail career...the hours. Nights, weekends. But we all know that going into a retail position. I di enjoy the time I worked at Coldwater Creek.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management...what happened! I'm very sorry about the bankruptcy. Very sad to see it go.

2. "2nd Assistant Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CWC shopper as well as most of the employees were mature educated women who are rather pleasant company.

Cons

There was a freeze on raises since I started working there in 2009. There weren't set policies or guidelines to follow when it came to returns or coupon usage and several other things. .

3. "Upper Management does not relate to store level employees"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Highland Village, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Highland Village, TX

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and diverse group of women. Only good thing was the friendships formed between coworkers.

Cons

Pay rates varied and inconsistent,lower pay than competing retailers,upper management played favorites, rules seemed to change daily, home office inconsistent with sales and coupons that customers could use.

Advice to Management

Come down from your pedestal and at least try to relate to store level employees

5. "The most amazing group of women in one place that I have ever seen"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with and the people I worked for. Management, Teams and Customers are the best!

Cons

Bankruptcy and all stores closed.

Advice to Management

too late to put it in here now.

6. "Politics"

Former Employee - Assistant in Sandpoint, ID
    Former Employee - Assistant in Sandpoint, ID

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people and located in unique location.

Cons

Politics are the driving force behind everything.

7. "Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great store manager and assistant store manager. Enjoyed working with the associates.

Cons

Dis.trict Manager was terrible. Executive Team was floundering.

8. "The wind down"

Current Employee - Technical Support Desk in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Technical Support Desk in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason I worked here is that it gave me an opportunity to work exclusively as a remote support technician. I enjoyed the shift I was scheduled to work when I had 4 consecutive 10 hour shifts and then 3 days off.

Cons

No raises had been given in the last 7 years or so and, while working there, the company went bankrupt

Advice to Management

Make sure that those higher up in the company know what's going on at ground level.

9. "Coldwater Creek brought great customer service into the retail arena"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you were looking for a part-time, fun place to work and loved fashion, this was a good store to work in. Unfortunately, it is now closed.

Cons

Layers and layers of management. Coldwater Creek attracted professional sales people and other professionals to come and work at their store. It was disappointing that the management at corporate level did not match the professionalism and talent of their store associates.

Advice to Management

You should have rewarded all the people on the bottom when the store closed as opposed to giving severance to the those responsible for its downfall.

10. "IT Department"

Former Employee - Technical Support Desk in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Former Employee - Technical Support Desk in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, across the board. Extremely friendly environment, and you got to work with people around the world

Cons

Compnany was ran into the ground by management

Advice to Management

to little to late

11. "For my first retail job, this was a good company to work for when they sifted out the bad managers."

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cranston, RI

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to work many jobs in the store, so you are never bored. Cashier, front door greeter, one of three zones on the sales floor or fitting room. They had separate employees hired just for the stock room. I began at a new store opening so there was 1 store manager, 2 assistants and 4 leads. Over time this fizzled down to 1 assistant and 2 leads and of course, now they are going out of business.I got the 15 hours I requested, in the morning when I requested and days off were never a problem, you just posted them immediately when the next month calendar was posted.The store manager was always fair and accommodating. 40% off for employees.

Cons

The pay was your average retail pay, started at 8.50, left at 9.50. If you worked 15 hours, it was hard to get 'rated' as a fast cashier or build up your clientele relationships compared to those who were there almost 35 hours and of course your raise depended on that. No real advancement within that I could see.

Advice to Management

Its too bad they went out of business. Their catalog was great, % sales wonderful. They unfortunately gave away too many coupons, $25 off with $100 purchase and customers took advantage of that. They grew too fast with their stores.