Cole, Scott & Kissane Reviews | Glassdoor

Cole, Scott & Kissane Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Cole, Scott & Kissane Partner Richard B. Adams, Jr.
Richard B. Adams, Jr.
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great jump-start to legal career, but not made to go the distance"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain tremendous experience right away at CSK, and for the most part, will be taught the right way to do things. You will learn civil procedure and a basic overview on how to litigate - the ins and outs, the do's and don'ts. This is invaluable in the long run.

As a young/rookie attorney, if you can find a good group of attorneys to bond with. it will help make the experience at CSK be a positive one. You also will get an opportunity for solid mentorship if you are assigned to the right team and direct-boss.

The starting pay is fairly strong for young attorneys, which gets you off on the right foot with building a financial platform in life post-law school. A plus is that the pay increases year-by-year, but the salary growth is slow, despite the work and responsibility growing.

Cons

CSK suffers from a hollow business model, which becomes transparent very quickly.

The agenda is to bill, bill, bill, with practically no consideration given for attorneys' personal lives and work/life balance. The billable requirement is excessive (starting at 200 hours per month), and personal lives are placed in distant backseat. The Firm's "PTO" is an example of this: attorneys are still expected to meet their billable quota for the month/year, even when vacation is taken. This counterintuitive policy makes vacation less than optimal, which is aggravated by the fact that you will really need a vacation from working so hard to meet your high billable requirement.

This aside, CSK offers short-sighted long-term opportunities for young lawyers. The "Partner" structure at CSK is comical and insulting, as the so-called Partners do not receive any equity in the company, and see no leap in their pay. Instead, Partners are merely given a title, and the firm benefits by billing the Partner out at a higher rate. A "Partner" at CSK is really a glorified associate who never made the right move to seek greener pastures.

Advice to Management

CSK's business model is not sustainable as economy continues to improve.

2. "Attorney"

Current Employee - Partner in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Partner in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast experience, no chance of moving up

Cons

work overload, no vacation, pay

3. "Associate Attorney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hands on experience and responsibility

Cons

Too much focus on billable hours and lack of structure

4. "Associate"

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time

Pros

Better pay than most entry level attorney positions.

Cons

Long hours. Over the top billable hour requirement, especially for entry level attorneys. Management is never satisfied even if you go above and beyond. They just want more. Would rather you die in a hurricane as long as you are billing.

Advice to Management

Attorneys understand the importance of billable hours; however, there is a limit if you want to keep them around for any sustainable amount of time.

5. "Any experience is good experience, right?"

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain experience in different areas of law and can be as productive/busy as you wish to be. There is always work that needs to be done; therefore, for someone who is trying to learn and work hard - this could be the place for you (short term).

Cons

Billing is the most challenging aspect for most employees at CSK. The billing goals essentially require that you bill 95% of your day which calculates to roughly 7-8 min of your work day not billing. This goal can be comically unachievable when most attorneys request non-billable tasks to be performed. New employee education and training is completely absent - so much to the point that new employees are not even fully equipped with necessary computer programs when they start the job. For me, I was working for 5 attorneys at the same time, doing the job of a legal assistant (due to CSKs inability to hire a new assistant) and training a new paralegal while I was 7 months pregnant. When I asked multiple times to have some of the work load taken from me (especially since I had maternity leave quickly approaching) my multiple emails to HR went unanswered. It was not until I went to my obstetrician and was ultimately placed on part time work status before my work load decreased. Oh, and no, my rate of pay was never increased even though I continued to make my billable requirements up through the day before I gave birth.

The managing partner is either completely out of touch or too egotistical to care that his employees are completely miserable and continue to work for him whilst making efforts to seek alternative employment. The work environment is very uncomfortable and inappropriate. You're just a number and that's how you will always be seen no matter how hard you try. Anyone who is thin skinned or needing positive affirmation for their job performance needs to simply look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

I could go on for days.

6. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Plantation, FL

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is good especially if you get a big bonus from billing, benefits are good, ability to handle initial caseload without much micromanagement.

Cons

Poor instruction for new attorney hires, micromanagement and favoritism by certain Partners, only care about billing.

7. "Terrible Atmosphere"

Pros

There were great people at the firm and you may get lucky enough to work with them, depending on what your practice group is.

Cons

High turnover, unhappy employees, mind games. Overall not a positive working atmosphere.

8. "Legal assistant"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This firm is a great way to kickstart your career. If you can keep your nose to the grind you can gain momentum in your career.

Cons

This firm is a large firm. With that comes advantages, but with it also comes the cons with working for floridas largest firm. You must make yourself stand out to succeed

Advice to Management

Please be considerate to employee work life balance.

"A PLACE TO BURN OUT"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Miami, FL

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane (More than a year)

Pros

IF you are lucky, you may have a strong mentor.

Cons

Billable hours is king. Performance is based solely on billable hours and not quality of work product.

Advice to Management

Start incorporating emotional intelligence training

"Attorney"

Pros

Starting salary $75,000.00, fancy office so it's a good facade.

Cons

Extremely concerning behavior and politics within the office that makes any decent human being concerned and fearful. Don't learn how to practice only learn how to bill.