Cole, Scott & Kissane Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Richard P. Cole

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "People are friendly and professional" (in 3 reviews)

• "High level of responsibilty, great hands on experience, knowledgeable senior attorneys, respected law firm" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management is too top heavy and has very little regard for associate work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Performance is based solely on billable hours and not quality of work product" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Grass is Green Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Advancement within the firm is possible. There is an open door policy with management. Genuine care and concern for the employees in times of life issues - not just in words, but true and effective action.

Cons

If you are adverse to hard work and a constantly busy organization, CSK is not the place for you. Growth requires commitment not just interest. Great days are what you make them. - No cons for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities as you do - helping the support of the individual families in the firm.

2. "Associate Attorney"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working here a couple of months but I have already learned more in that time than I have any in other jobs. The firm really allows young lawyers to get out there and get a wide range of experience. There are lots of young associates at the firm so it is a fun place to work.

Cons

You do have to bill, but the billing is on par with other large law firms. The base salary also is a little low for the market but once you add in your bonuses it evens out.

Jun 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for your review of CSK! We are happy to heard that you have learning a lot while with us and hope that you will remain with us for many year to come.

You are correct that our salary... More

3. "Negative environment"

Pros

Over worked employees, ridiculous billiable hours.

Cons

Good health care insurance benefits.

Dear former employee,

We are sorry that you felt that employees are over worked and that the billable hours are "ridiculous."

As you know from working at our firm, we pride ourselves on working... More

4. "Scheduling Clerk"

Current Employee - Schedulng Clerk in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Schedulng Clerk in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is great to work with, everyone is very nice and amicable

Cons

No downsides as of yet

Jun 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking the time to rate our firm and for the five star rating. We are very happy to see that you are happy working in our Miami office for less than a year and hope that you continue... More

5. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, fair pay, great location

Cons

Have no "cons" to submit.

Jun 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our firm. We are happy to hear that our flexible work schedules, salary and location result in a happy legal assistant.

We hope that you will remain with... More

6. "Assistant"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Successful firm - Family oriented, Flexible hours, great location and a pleasure to work at.

Cons

I do not have any negative feedback.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the necessary tools to assist us with our daily tasks.

Jun 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for the five start review of CSK! We are happy to have you as part of our successful team for more than ten years! Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

7. "Litigation Paralegal"

Former Employee - Senior Litigation Paralegal in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Litigation Paralegal in Miami, FL

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CSK's Policies and Procedures are fair across the board. It is a very pleasant work environment. The HR Manager is very effective and a perfect liaason between the staff and the attorneys.

Cons

I cannot think of one "con".

Jun 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our firm and rate us with five stars! We are very proud to provide a great working environment for both our staff and attorneys. We wish you great success... More

8. "A Great Law Firm!"

Current Employee - Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time

Pros

For younger lawyers, it is a great law firm to learn, be trained by supervisors who care, gain valuable litigation/trial experience, and stay for a long time. For more experienced lawyers, it is a great law firm to continue to advance your career and have the ability to work on a large variety of legal matters. The resources are available, for all lawyers, to be successful.

Cons

None--the law firm is a great place to work

Apr 23, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking time to place this review on Glassdoor. The position information that you share is important for those that may be considering CSK in their future.

We do pride ourselves in... More

"Pensacola office is a fantastic place to work."

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cole, Scott & Kissane is a large insurance defense law firm with 11 offices throughout the state of Florida. I only worked for the Pensacola office, which is the smallest office with around 7 attorneys and less than 10 staff. I met Gene Kissane (the main Kissane) once and perhaps one other attorney of the nearly 350 or so attorneys in the firm, so my comments are limited in both scope and, perhaps, helpfulness.

I truly liked every person I worked with in the Pensacola office. Every member of the staff was knowledgeable and helpful. Specifically, I couldn't ask for better paralegals (and I've worked with many in other jobs) - these paralegals know what they are doing and get the job done. The partners bent over backwards to make sure I had work to do and to answer my questions or help with any issues I had. Learning from them absolutely made me a better attorney. The managing partner of the Pensacola office is the best boss I've ever had, period.

You never lack for work to do and opportunities to become a better lawyer. Working in the smallest office of one of the largest firms in Florida gives you the resources of a large firm but the feel of a small office.

Cons

Let's be honest - billable hours aren't for everyone. If you are reading this, then you are considering working at a defense firm that requires a minimum number of billable hours per month. The amount required when I was there was not excessive, but based on my discussions with colleagues in other similar firms, it is higher than normal. While I was paid well, again, the amount of hours for that pay was higher than normal, based on what I understood from other lawyers.

Also (and the firm is absolutely clear about this before they hire you), while CSK does offer partnerships, the partnerships are not and, to my knowledge, never will be, equity partnerships. Since I was never partner, I cannot speak to whether the pay and other benefits for partners was worth the lack of an equity partnership.

Neither of these things are controlled or in anyway influenced by the Pensacola office of CSK or its employees. But it certainly is a consideration if you are going to take the job. I did not leave because of these factors, but I can understand why they might make some attorneys hesitant to commit long-term to CSK.

Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about the Pensacola office, itself. Great people, a hard-working but laid-back environment, a place with abundant opportunities to learn and hone your craft, an exceptional boss and, oh yeah, an office on Pensacola bay in a very cool downtown.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be in regards to billable hours and partnerships, but I highly doubt the requirements and career opportunities at CSK will ever change.

Apr 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review you experience at CSK. We are happy to hear that you had such a positive experience while you were with our firm and worked in our Pensacola office.

10. "The Best Litigation Firm in Florida"

I have been working at Cole, Scott & Kissane full-time

Pros

Cole, Scott & Kissane ("CSK") is an absolutely fantastic firm. Working at CSK over the past several years, I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best lawyers in Florida, which has made me the lawyer that I am today. I am very proud to be a member of the CSK family. Bottom line, if you really want to be a respected litigator in Florida and you work hard at CSK, you WILL be rewarded; not only monetarily, but with invaluable legal experience that you will have the rest of your life. I have all intentions of being with the CSK family for the long haul.

Cons

The only cons about working at CSK are to be expected, i.e., long hours. That said, however, if you want to be a successful lawyer, you need to work long hours. 9 to 5 simply does not cut it in today's litigation world.

Apr 11, 2018 – Administrative Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this very nice review of our firm. We are happy to hear this positive feedback. You are correct in stating that if you work hard, you will be rewarded at... More