Coleman Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Coleman Research President & CEO Kevin Coleman
Kevin Coleman

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and team-oriented environment (in 9 reviews)

• Coleman is a very good place to start your career or to make a major career change (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle Management - Untrained and inexperienced (in 10 reviews)

• Commission structure is strongly out of line with the actual revenue being brought in by RAs (in 4 reviews)

1. "Client Management - Associate"

Former Employee - Client Management Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Client Management Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an employee who spent 8 months here , I have nothing but positive things to say about Coleman Research, especially the Boston office. Can't beat the work environment. Unreal people, outgoing, friendly, bright, makes you excited to come to work everyday. Learn so much about a variety of industries, really interesting.

Cons

Honestly do not have any cons of the job. Yes a portion of it the job is recruiting, but that can be turned into one of the better parts of the job. No complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You guys have built a great work environment here, with great people at the helm.

2. "Coleman"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely engaged with learning our interests and catering the summer internship to those interests

Cons

Be ready to cold call - it's a big part of the job

Advice to Management

Keep finding out the interns' interests and working to fulfill them during the internship

"Poorly run company, solid first job"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Great people, the company does a good job at hiring people fresh out of college who come from well respected academic institutions. This creates an environment, at least at the lower levels, of working with astute and intelligent individuals.

2. Good place to learn the basic professional repertoire of on the job skills

Cons

Coleman Research stakes its entire reputation on the one commodity it can't provide: Quality.

Coleman claims to be the premium product on the market when really it's only relative advantages are derived from being smaller and providing a higher level of service. The product it provides, phone calls connecting subject matter experts with an analyst at a investment fund, is identical to other players. The size of the company is a liability in an industry saturated with more efficient, technologically advanced, and cheaper competitors.

Middle Management - Untrained and inexperienced. The company relies on recent graduates as its source of cheap labor (research associates) and graduates 1-2 years removed (project managers) to manage those entry level associates. Because of their inexperience, managers are not good at developing their former peers and have less than a rudimentary of idea of how to actually manage people.

Upper Management - Makes decisions which tend to be uninformed because their operations are in Raleigh and executive management in New York, leading to somewhat of an isolated and uninformed approach to high level direction. This is compounded by an inability to stick to the decisions they make, which for 3 years running has resulted in a reshuffling and restructuring (firing) of upper managers to try something new. A cyclical annual event kicked off with a new vision for the company every January. These new visions can be most closely compared to new years resolutions because commitment to change wanes quickly.

The combination of misdirected upper management and inexperienced middle managers results in a sort of blind leading the blind scenario. At times, working at the company feels like a satirical, Office Space-esque version of what the modern workplace is like.

In summary, Coleman is a fantastic experience in learning: basic real world job skills, how to deal difficult people, Which means if you're looking for a career, this is probably not the place to look.

Advice to Management

1. Hire experienced managers who can develop entry level associates

2. When you make a plan, stick to the plan

3. You can't expect good account managers/client management if you're not going to pay for good account managers. They are your most undervalued and unappreciated asset.

"Great Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Coleman is a very good place to start your career or to make a major career change. The base pay is reasonable to very good (depending on your performance) and there is a lot of potential for promotion and professional growth. The company is growing and new positions are being added often. If you have some experience and take one of the entry-level positions, you will get promoted much faster than someone right out of college would.

• Consistently reliable hard workers are rewarded one way or another. The exceptionally negative posts on here were most likely written by underachieving millennials at their first real job who expect a raise and promotion just for showing up. If you are smart and you stand out as a hard worker, you will be recognized via pay bonuses, commission, promotions, raises, etc. Your success in this job is 100% in your control.

• Even if you don’t want to stay here long-term, you can develop a lot of transferrable skills and learn tons about new industries to bring to your next job.

• The company actually does care about employee retention and ensuring that people are fulfilled and happy here, proven by the fact that they constantly solicit feedback. I hope the people writing negative reviews are also taking advantage of the many forums for providing feedback, escalating their complaints to HR or simply making plans to leave.

• The culture is generally positive and especially great for young people who are new to the area. It’s very easy to meet people and make friends.

• Very good benefits.

Cons

• Once you move into client-facing roles, work-life balance becomes nearly impossible. In reality you can do as much or as little after-hours work as you want, but the more available you are to clients at all times, the better you’ll do and the more money you'll make. It’s a tough lifestyle to maintain long-term.

• Occasionally people are tapped on the shoulder for major promotions instead of it being an open application/interview process.

• Company events tend to be geared toward the younger employees because families/significant others are only included in one event per year. Those with husbands/wives/kids often don’t attend the other events for this reason.

• Coleman is always trying to improve which means frequent changes in structure. This can get tiresome for employees, but the intention behind the changes is always good and the company solicits feedback every step of the way.

Advice to Management

• No one in upper management is particularly inspiring or engaging to lower-level employees. I think it would make a big difference in morale among the younger folks if someone from exec management would make the time to take the high achievers out for coffee or lunch sometimes or even write them a personalized note to thank and recognize them.
    • Make more competitive salary offers to attract top notch employees.

"Coleman's great"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coleman is a great place to work, especially for the first couple of years straight out of school. Not only can you learn a lot about the business and finance world, there's lots of smart, fun people here who are doing the same thing. Sure, the company has some issues, but it's good to see management recognizes the problems and has already made some really positive changes.

Cons

There seem to be two types of people who are posting here: people who really like it, and people who don't. My guess is that the people who like it here are also the same people who are good at their job, successful in the company, and fun to work with. To the people who don't like it I say: why are you still here? Why don't you just go somewhere else?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the complaining losers who are making life miserable for the people who want to enjoy their jobs at this great company.

"A Poor, Non-Start Career with Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Researcher in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Researcher in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, competitive retirement program, comprehensive healthcare plans.

The salaries offered to new employees are appealing compared to many other industries in the Raleigh area, the company matched 401(k) contributions at a high percentage up to a fixed amount, and all employees had competitive options as far as health care was concerned.

Cons

Constantly devolving career-pathing and weak training, entrenched and lethargic middle management, oblivious upper management, poor work-life balance due to non-explicit expectations, tragically humorous attempts to create a cohesive environment, antiquated technology, struggles to maintain even a veneer of class and competency in its own industry (and less so internally).

Your life at Coleman likely starts with high expectations, a hasty tutorial on how to accomplish daily goals, and a swift entry into the world of expert networks. About 2 months into the job, a keen observer will realize that even his or her supervisor, as well as the next rung above in middle management, is doing the same job as him or herself at a higher volume. This is thanks to a poor career-pathing model which places much more emphasis on title rather than change in responsibility (evidenced by the constant priority changes like FW, and FW 2.0 which reorganize the company to create new titles, but no almost changes in duties). You will be doing the same work you started doing well into your time in "management."

The individuals that make up the core of middle management have been with the company for a very long time, and do a poor job of recognizing talent and professionalism. Top performers at the company are consistently passed over for promotion for inexplicable reasons, creating a hostile and chaotic path for success among those not fortunate enough to be chosen by the company's "old guard."

Upper management consists of a constantly fluctuating group of seemingly well-qualified individuals that end up being terminated after less than 2 years of service. This, unfortunately, reflects most strongly on the C-suite, which has proven on multiple occasions that it is unable to hire serious, motivated leadership for any of its offices. Also confusing is the rarity of internal hires for these upper management positions. Members of middle management who have spent years with the company are often passed up for promotion in favor of executive suite individuals from competitors or completely different industries. This could reflect an agreement with my own assessment of middle management, which causes even greater concern.

The expectations required of each employee are explicitly shared, but the company also makes use of several non-explicit expectations that are enforced by middle management. Some include: stay late, work from your phone after hours, taking lunch every day is frowned upon, don't use after hours company amenities, participate in and rate Coleman highly on social media and citywide "best workplace" polls and the like, and various others that reviews have attested to previously.

The company pays for outings to sporting events and bars that create an amicable environment for some, but an uncomfortable environment for others. The lack of professionalism exhibited reaches new heights at these functions, where public drunkenness and sexual harassment occur with a sad consistency. The individuals that suffer these problems continue to work for the company without mentioning these instances to HR, for fear of it affecting their OWN employment.

Coleman's most profitable workflow decision is also its greatest hindrance to higher employee performance across the board. As opposed to purchasing current database tools that could dramatically increase the performance and marketability of its employees, the company insists on improving its HTML relic: KB. Further explanation of its downfalls are unnecessary, as they are apparent to only those that have used it, and bear no meaning to those who are accustomed to using a traditional boolean search algorithm.

Finally, the company has such a fragile identity that it even nudges its own senior employees to add positive reviews of its own company on various websites in the hopes of snagging more unsuspecting entrants into the professional world. I could have unfairly given the company a 1-star review in order to shape the overall rating in my image, but frankly the non-specific and aggressive 5-star reviews speak to my final point more than I ever could.

Advice to Management

Create real opportunities for growth from within, stop hiring unsuitable leadership in upper management, adapt to the industry.

8. "Client Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Absolutely thrilled to be working at Coleman! I have had the opportunity to travel to major cities across the world, move quickly through the career path, learn a tremendous amount every day about the stock markets, investment strategies, people management, and innovative search technology. Cannot be more appreciative of the entire staff globally and upper management. These are great people who are committed, engaged, and excited to get back to major growth which has been the norm at Coleman for more than 10 years. Cannot say enough about this, especially as an opportunity for a younger, less proven, up-and-coming self-starter who desired to learn and grow with a global company. I am fascinated by search algorithms and technology, and had no idea how interested I would become in the tech sector prior to starting as an Analyst in an entry level role.

Cons

Absolutely no downside. My experience at work every day is enjoyable and exciting. I love the people I work with and have engaging social, cultural, and professional relationships. I have access to some of the largest investment managers in the entire world. How many people can say that? Not only that, but I started without any knowledge of capital markets and now I feel prepared and intelligent to plan for my own retirement one day.

Advice to Management

Please keep investing in the people as you have been doing the past two years. We are all bought in and thrilled about the opportunity to contribute to this company. Lastly, my advice is to continue to have confidence in us and allow us to grow our individual skill sets and acquire new knowledge.

"I've had a great experience"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are really nice. Great job for a new college grad to learn about lots of different industries and to develop great communication skills. Under FW2.0, quick progression to client facing is great for my resume and development. 2 CSR days, decent vacation, they pay for 90% of health insurance, in and out of office events, for the most part people work 8-5 or 9-6, etc. Not sure what there is to complain about.

Cons

Hopefully we will settle into FW2.0 without making another round of changes. Let's see if we can make it work.

Advice to Management

Appreciate that you've been more forthcoming with info in the last few months.

"Love My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coleman is always working to be a great place. They have implemented changes, but not for change's sake - they (and by "they" I really mean our CEO) really want Coleman to be the best place to work and want us to be happy as well as productive. Over the time I have been here, I have seen lots of positives changes and accommodations made for us. There are many ways to grow here, with lots of new levels/roles added for career paths and the ability to earn money gets better with each new org change that happens.

Cons

The company needs everyone to drive in the same direction with one consistent message from the top down. It's gotten better, but still not 100%.

Advice to Management

Time to slow down on the changes and have a steady 2017 where we can all focus on the business.

11. "It's been great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

- Training Managers are beyond great: incredibly helpful, patient, and enthusiastic. Help the transition into the new job become very easy, as well as setting you up to succeed.
    - Middle Management have been nothing but welcoming and assisting.
    - Hard work is rewarded, systems are in place to benefit those that want to do well.
    - People want you to do well, they actively celebrate your success knowing that ultimately it is good for them and good for the company.

I'm really happy I joined Coleman, and I would thoroughly suggest it to anyone I know who was interested in this industry. Additionally I would advise against reading too much into what people have written negatively on here, I don't know their backstories to comment but I can say from my experience I'm very happy with working here and have no doubts about making the decision to do so.

Cons

Honestly, I'm yet to encounter anything of note at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and promoting great people to roles that they thrive in.