Coleman Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Coleman Research President & CEO Kevin Coleman
Kevin Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great culture and good work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Can't beat the work environment" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Middle Management isn't well trained in people management and have to learn on the fly, which is tough for Associates under them" (in 12 reviews)

• "Work/life balance depends on the team you are on" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is really very friendly. The culture committee works hard to make sure we have fun events going on. You learn something new every day here and it makes coming to work interesting.

Cons

It isn't really a con, but depending on the job you're looking for it could be considered one. You are constantly learning new things so don't expect to become a pro immediately. You have to work and ask questions every single day. I personally love this because it keeps me on my toes, but I know it isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff. I can tell that people care and I feel like I can be heard - which I really appreciate!

2. "Going Places"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior Management genuinely cares about staff. Good training program. Vibrant culture and great benefits.

Cons

Younger workforce creates some management challenges but lots of things being done to address these issues.

3. "Interesting experience, but no clear direction"

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interactive work force with lots of fresh graduates. Daily tasks were clear and repeitive

Cons

High turnover rates and poorly trained upper managers. Low morale

Advice to Management

CEO should be more involved at every level

4. "Amazing Post-Grad Job!"

Current Employee - Client Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The ability to engage with high level executives at a variety of different companies one-on-one over the phone, via email, & in-person.

- Gaining in-depth knowledge of what's going on currently at hedge funds, asset management firms, consulting firms, etc. from working with analysts/consultants on their research projects.

-Company culture is great! Not everyone has the same background in finance/business, so each person contributes an interesting & valuable perspective to projects.

-Working on projects from every industry so the job is never boring- each day is different!

Cons

-Very competitive since competing with other expert network firms, so you need to work quickly.

-Juggling lots of projects at once, so you need to have great time management skills.

-Involves a lot of outreach, so you need to have good people skills.

5. "Client Analyst"

Current Employee - Client Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Coleman Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Cooperative environment, hardworking teammates, awesome corporate culture, and you learn a lot on the job.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

6. "A good start in the white collar workforce."

Current Employee - Client Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research (Less than a year)

Pros

It is good experience straight out of college.

Cons

Becomes repetitive after one year.

7. "Great place with a lot of opportunities!"

Current Employee - Investment Management Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Management Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to grow here. Management and colleagues are great! You are truly valued here! The work is interesting and lucrative.

Cons

The benefits have room to be more competitive.

8. "Mixed"

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time

Pros

One of Coleman’s greatest strengths is that motivated employees have real opportunity to create their own mark here. Any employee of any title level or seniority can bring a winning idea and help make it happen. The flip side is given the high turnover in our industry, this often causes confusion rather than innovation.

Grassroot ideas can quickly gain support from our Executive team who will throw their wholehearted, and truly genuine, enthusiasm behind it. In the meantime, the employee will usually own it almost completely – reporting up what they are working on and creating, rather than having the direction coming down from our leaders. As soon as an employee critical to the idea leaves (and we are by nature a very high turnover company!) the experiment will start to fall apart.

Being largely on the sidelines, and always considering cost vs. benefit, leaders don’t feel urgency to replace that person until it becomes crucial that they do so – often weeks or months after that individual left. Without the experience and plan of the idea’s owner, it’s up to another employee with a winning idea to pitch a new vision. This is exciting if you are a hungry go-getter with a plan. This is exhausting for anyone swept up in yet another idea that just wants to do their best work at the job they were hired to do.

Cons

Employees get by without ever truly knowing who at the company is responsible for what aspects since it changes so frequently. Those who like it at Coleman, and plan to stay long-term, quickly learn to fend for themselves and to take steps to protect their teams from the ups and downs of change that are so typical here. For most employees at Coleman, compensation is paid on a commission structure, and metrics rule who gets paid, and who gets promoted. Those who lose sight of those crucial aspects to focus on anything else can easily hurt their career prospects and stagnate.

It can get discouraging, and tenured employees start noticeably losing enthusiasm for new ideas. It’s also easy to get lost or lose direction once you’ve been placed on an idea team – full support doesn’t mean you’re given measurable deadlines, projects, or guidelines. Figuring out how you can grow your career when you already created your own position (or find yourself in the frequent position of being on a team that loses the person who created the initiative) is hard. There reaches a point where having no guidance other than your ambition becomes isolating, and having no career "next step" outside of your own ideas becomes demoralizing instead of liberating.

Advice to Management

Innovation is important, and employees really do appreciate being heard (and we do know that you listen!) but the constant confusion takes a tangible morale toll. Some consistency in job roles, or in what departments or positions we find important - as a company - would go a long way.

What I would want the Management team to answer is not, "what great ideas have you had or heard lately that you're really excited about?" but rather, what do you - my bosses, leaders and Executives at Coleman who have heard and helped foster all of our best ideas, think is important for all of us to succeed?

"Good first job"

Current Employee - Client Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job to do for a year to learn the professional workplace
    Opportunity for commission
    Try to keep the office lively with different contests, events, etc. for employees

Cons

Management tends to promote simply based on metrics, not people skills. So you can end up with a manager that is only a year out of college and does not know how to effectively manage a team.
    Try to pressure employees to volunteer to occasionally work evenings

Advice to Management

When promoting Associates to the manager role, make sure to analyze their people skills and ability to manage a team under them, versus looking at just their numbers.

"Client Manager"

Current Employee - Client Manager
    Current Employee - Client Manager

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time

Pros

- Opportunity to learn so many industries, companies, and how consultants/investors/corporates approach a value chain, product development, vertical/lateral integration, etc
    - Working with colleagues internationally
    - Experience i) Selling to senior executives, ii) project management, iii) building a book of business
    - Working directly with institutional investors making capital allocation decisions
    - Fast-paced, competitive environment

Cons

The business model relies upon developing and motivating college grads......

Advice to Management

The fresh injection of capital that's been put to use on your product (your people) via management training, as well your technology (eliminating the data entry aspect of the Analyst and Associate role to allow for more selling and execution) will continue to pay dividends, so keep it up.