Colfax Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven E. Simms

"Director"

I worked at Colfax full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, good pay

Cons

Danaher -- those who worked there are favored. If not keep resume up to date

"Professional"

Pros

Used to be a great company that cared about its employees. Benefits were good but slowly going away.

Cons

Do not expect to be promoted based on your knowledge and ability. The newbie that comes in and knows the buzzwords of lean are promoted and it doesn't matter if they know manufacturing.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that made this company great and quit worrying about how big of a bonus you are getting.

"Results Driven"

I worked at Colfax full-time

Pros

Dedicated to relentlessly improving the business and actively pursuing acquisitions.

Cons

Culture is really bland and only about hard driving for results with no real sight of work life balance, and no real positive reinforcement to employees.

"Unstable work environment if you are someone who makes a living actually working"

I have been working at Colfax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a facilitator, MBA, Director, VP, SVP, CFO or any one in upper management.

Cons

Not a great place to work if you work for a living. Company is extremely top heavy. Invests more money in hiring upper management than improving manufacturing machines and processes. Maintenance technicians have learned to work miracles with duct tape and bread ties.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring VP's and laying off workers. You need people that actually make and sell your product or you won't have any data to manipulate. Invest in manufacturing, it's the business you are in.

6. "Not as great as I hoped"

I worked at Colfax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really want to try to be a bigger company. Benefits were good.

Cons

Work hours are in excess of anywhere else I worked. 10 hour days seemed very much the norm.

7. "Talk of employees being important- NOT"

Current Employee - Upper Level Technical
    Current Employee - Upper Level Technical

I have been working at Colfax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many, your very average job. Local people (besides managers) i work with are the best!

Cons

I’ve heard lots of talk from executives and managers for the last couple years.
    BIG talk of advancement opportunities & how employees are the biggest asset but I’ve been treated much better by 98% of my previous employers. I’ve been promoted recognized and rewarded by 98% of every smaller company I’ve worked for for more than 25+ years, not here. They really are just a huge company purely out for profit. Advancement is nearly impossible because you only get promoted if you talk the talk and can impress the BIG visitor when introduced. Many people are scared for their jobs so if you do a good job your supervisor either takes credit or is to afraid to tell the big boss someone under him did something great. Have proven they don’t care for people by lying and cheating whenever they can get away with it. Can’t take a day off without pay to spend time with my family even when work is slow because corporate still has to pay my benefits for that day!!! Even when I worked 30 hours overtime the week before to “Help out”..
    Profits are up because we are paying 20% more for medical than last year, do the math, we each pay 100-300 more a month, instant profits…. Taking the next job I find.

Advice to Management

Upper management- Stop lying.
    Maybe allow employees rate their managers/company anonymously.
    But then again, they dont listen so why?

8. "Making quarterly numbers is all that matters."

I worked at Colfax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very profitable. Colfax has great employees at all levels. Many of them have been in their jobs for a long time. The products are very good because operators take pride in what they are doing. Very safe work environment. Excellent Lean Manufacturing.

Cons

High stress jobs. Lots of pressure to exceed Wall Street expectations. Top management has high salaries, bonus and stock while the remaining employees get very little. Raises are very low, and benefits are marginal for such a profitable company. Promotions are not given. All opportunities are given to outsiders. You can not move up.

Advice to Management

The company lacks vision. You are focusing to short sighted. Look past the next quarter to long-term goals and objectives.

9. "Good products brands name"

I worked at Colfax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Products brands names International present

Cons

Unstable management and unstable strategy

10. "If you're at the bottom, you'll stay at the bottom."

I have been working at Colfax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Effort is not required. Come to work, coast through the day, be happier.

Cons

You will not advance no matter how hard you try.

Advice to Management

You're missing out on an excellent opportunity to keep employees happy, and be more productive. However you choose to hire every position from outside the company, making everyone start over every few months.

11. "Colfax is run by the Chairman of the Board, who is one of the Danaher founders, and it also is a ruthless culture."

Pros

good business in certain markets, good global reach

Cons

Operating at the whim of the Chairman who could sell teh company tomorrow and fire you