Colgate-Palmolive Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Colgate-Palmolive Chairman, President, and CEO Ian M. Cook
Ian M. Cook

Pros
Cons
  • As consequence work - life balance can be not good (in 28 reviews)

• It can take some time to rise through the ranks to have real decision-making power over your business, particularly on highly visible brands (in 20 reviews)

1. "Bad Leadership - especially in Minneapolis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some good people in the organization

Cons

Series of bad directors in Minneapolis getting blessing from Corporate bigwigs - constant CONSTANT turnover in Minneapolis office due to incompetent leadership.

2. "Confused Colgate, you must look back at the values you mention on your website"

Former Contractor - Web Developer in Colgate, ND
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in Colgate, ND

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of about.

Cons

I had to wait everyday in the lobby for 30 mins to 1 hr because they were unable to figure out a way to get me an ID.
    I also work in the Army Reserve, so I had to go to drill, but I never let it affect my work at Colgate. They still fired with a performance issue reason.
    The managers don't know what they are doing, they were not even able to provide me a work laptop.
    I had to work with my own laptop, with a wired connection everyday.
    Worst place I ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Useless management. Very unprofessional.

"Extremely political and age matters more than talent at colgate palmolive India."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Pros

If you want a good work environment think twice before joining as this is not one of them

Cons

No career path.Favouritism and high politics at top management.They are in very bad shape currently and blame game is all that happens.

"Operating technician"

Pros

Great pay and opportunity to make extra money with overtime

Cons

Management doesn't listen to a word from the employees. You loose faith and trust very quickly in the staff your with. If you don't mind throwing your morals and dignity away, then this is a place for you!

Advice to Management

Years of experience DO beat a four year degree. Please learn to truly trust in your employees. Management throws away tons of money on impractical ideas and designs.

"Technical Associate"

Former Employee - Technical Associate in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and work equipment, courses,

Cons

Advancement, career path, unequal compensation

7. "Deceitful management"

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent including vision and dental, some good brands, half day Friday during summer, adequate vacation program, tuition assistance,

Cons

Salaries low and managers are incentivized to come in under budget so HR forces changed ratings to justify lower increases even if earned. Zero loyalty. VCP is a joke, backstabbing rewarded. Senior leaders start conversations with "you didn't hear this from me, but..." Well known that if you speak up your career is over, those who succeed keep their heads down and do what they're told. Work-life balance is a program in name only, if you attempt to have any you're told you're not pulling your weight.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees before you lose them

"Old-fashioned, white male "boys club" at the top, Ethics in policy but not in practice, HR completely untrustworthy"

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time

Pros

If you want a steady paycheck and some decent benefits then join the company.

Cons

Incredibly political, old white men at the top who are disconnected from the business and the real world, mediocre people rising up because of friendships/connections, cost-cutting is out of hand (signs in elevator banks giving ridiculous tips on cost-cutting "don't fly to main airport, alternative airports much cheaper"), gossipy/back biting/

Advice to Management

There are so many unhappy people working at Colgate that soon you will only have those who have made their way up because of politics and those who are there because they need the job rather than really talented people. You need to open your eyes to HR. The team all the way to the top is completely untrustworthy. I wouldn't tell them anything because if they are friends with someone's boss then any complaint will be ignored or brushed aside. Same thing with Ethics since only egregious complaints are dealt with. Unethical behavior happening all over the place but everyone covers it up or finds a way to make it go away quietly. So sad to see what was once a great company to work for falling apart at the seams. Almost every employee I talk to is looking to get out because they know nothing will change. And it looks like Wall Street is catching eye given recent ratings and stock price. No incentive to stay if you are not completely connected to all the right people. Will be interesting to see what the place looks like in another year or two.

"Marketing"

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

summer fridays, work smart program

Cons

company has not evolved with today's economy, cookie cutter mediocre employees in order to maintain culture, extremely political and hierarchical that you waste more time networking / sucking up to people and doing coffee chats than doing your work, HR has way too much power here and does not plan next roles timely, promotions are extremely slow, vacation days are limited, very few great managers, not built for today's generation so would not advise anyone under the age of 40 to join this organization, does not reward employees based on merit, employees are constantly looking for new jobs

10. "Contract Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close Friday afternoons from Memorial Day through Labor Day, company store sells Colgate-Palmolive products at substantially discounted prices.

Cons

Ongoing GGEP (Global Growth and Efficiency Program) keeps everyone on edge. Not the company which showed loyalty to its employees that it used to be; interested only in bottom-line.

"Worst company ever seen"

Current Employee - IT Department in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - IT Department in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance,Stocks option
    Salary
    and really not so much else

Cons

Management is very very poor, cluesless and extremly political
    Appearence it's everything
    No possibilities for career
    Not ethic at all, or better no ethic in practic , instead theoreticaly are WOW
    Express your opinion, they call it feedback, and you're out
    In short, good company for no brainer

Advice to Management

Hardly possible to give an advice, HR is so useless and corrupted as the rest of the management