Collaborative Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Collaborative Solutions CEO Carroll Ross
Carroll Ross

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance and bonus structure is pretty good as well" (in 26 reviews)

• "Coworkers are very friendly and helpful, opportunity to work from home/work flexibility" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance only exists if it is convenient for the customer and employee's schedules are not taken into account" (in 8 reviews)

• "Steep growth curves make for growing pains, but Collaborative really makes an effort to address issues once they're aware of them" (in 7 reviews)

"One Person's Perspective - An Unbiased Review of a Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture truly is there, if you try. You can't expect to experience the Collaborative culture unless you're willing to participate. Collaborative has made many efforts to ensure that even remote employees are included in various culture events and meetings.
    While the path for advancement may not be clearly defined, if you're willing to put in the work, you will find your reward. I think people may forget that Collaborative is a consulting firm and things can get hectic. Work can pick up and you can be expected to work long hours. BUT you came to work for a consulting firm, what did you expect? Don’t back down from a challenge and be willing to show initiative and it won’t go unnoticed.
    99% of the company is always willing to help you with any issue. Collaborative gives you as much as they can to succeed but you can't be afraid to reach out to folks with questions. Having the initiative to seek out an answer to a question can really set you apart from others.
    Be it Workday knowledge or general business knowledge, the Collaborative consultants are extremely qualified and continue to impress clients. They are also a lot of fun! While you may not always cross paths with the HCM, Financials, or Integrations team, you’ll regret not getting to know those people because, most of them, are an absolute blast to be around.
    Overall, the management team, in my experience, has been great. Without hesitation, you could easily walk into any executive’s office and bring up any workplace issue or just talk about your weekend.

Cons

For my first project, I felt as if I was thrown to the fire. While there were multiple folks who helped me out, I think Collaborative should have their onboarding/training folks reach out to new consultants to ensure that they are not overwhelmed.
    The path for advancement at Collaborative is not clearly defined. Within an ecosystem that can consider someone with 2 years of experience as an “experienced hire”, I think defining advancement would only benefit Collaborative and retain those stronger consultants.
    Unfortunately, the unlimited PTO is a blessing and a curse. I feel as if it is almost reverse psychology. While you would love to take a long vacation, you know that your work will pile up, and or, you’re too busy to take off. That said, I have averaged two weeks of PTO since I’ve been employed.

Advice to Management

The benefits need to be revisited and, please, don’t neglect your internal teams. Please work to define career advancement plans. When talent questions their future, they are unlikely to stay.

Oct 16, 2018 – Director, People Services

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. We are happy to hear from a Collabie of 3+ years and appreciate you sharing so much regarding your experience. Culture, true camaraderie... More

"Don’t believe what you are sold!"

I worked at Collaborative Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home and flexibility

Cons

As many other reviewers stated, the marketing team here is outstanding as they know how to brand the company and all they focus on are these awards. The reality is very different from what you are sold. It is a poorly run company and honestly, that is in the hands of the executive team.

Aside from the COO and the SVP of Consulting, none of the other executives would last a day on a Fortune 500 exec team. A strategic approach is truly missing from the top, they just operate as your average managers rather than C-Execs. I am not a disgruntled employee, only a person who has been employed by larger organizations and spent many years consulting so I can offer a perspective as I have dealt with many leaders in my career.

Also, promotions are more on who likes who rather than the person's abilities, experience, and leadership potential. There were also a few sexual harassment complaints that I heard about that were handled very poorly by HR and they were involving top executives. Also like another reviewed stated, upper management is very clique oriented (think high school) and once they don't like someone, that person is out with no real professional reason and not to mention the gossip that goes around. I was so shocked the first few times I witnessed this from upper management, truly unacceptable way to lead.

This company does not care about employees unless you’re in the “in” crowd then you can get away with anything, consistency does not exist here. Look for another company, I’m glad Glassdoor is here for companies like this that project another image that is NOT true. Pay attention to all these one star reviews here, they are true.

Advice to Management

With only a few hundred employees and an exec team that is the size of those in much larger organizations, you need to expect more from the exec team/VPs and what they can do & create in order to lead the company effectively while making Collaborative truly a great place to work. Take care of your employees and be consistent with your practices and policies.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director, People Services

We are sorry to learn your thoughts on Collaborative, as we truly work extremely hard to take care of our employees and offer a great place to work. It is unfortunate you did not have the same... More

"Best Company to Work For???"

Former Employee - Workday Learning Consultant
    Former Employee - Workday Learning Consultant

I worked at Collaborative Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have no pros at this time.

Cons

This company will win you over with their “culture” and act like they care about their people but it’s all a lie. After months of interviewing and finally receiving an offer, I left a lucrative career to be a part of what I thought was an amazing company. I was so wrong.

I was recommended for the position and with promises of internal support and a high pass rate for the required certification, I wasn’t worried. For the first portion of the training, I was assigned an internal training buddy and felt really supported. I passed that exam with flying colors and was excited about my future! The second portion, practical, was a different story. I had a terrible instructor, technology that didn’t work half the time and that “internal training buddy” I was assigned at the beginning of my employment? Yeah, on vacation the entire week and didn’t even tell me beforehand. I struggled with no support and not once did my manager reach out to me.

Even though I put everything I had into it, I failed practical. My manager assured me that I would have a second chance and not to worry. The person who recommended me for the job assured me that other consultants at Collaborative had failed certification but had went on to pass and became amazing consultants.

The following Monday, my manager reached out to me to tell me she was working on the next steps but “people services” would be reaching out soon. I guess she didn’t have the balls to tell me herself because a few hours later, I received a call from HR and they fired me, effective immediately. They even revoked access to my computer while I was on the phone being fired.

The way this company discards their employees speaks volumes about their culture and lack of integrity.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on making “The Best Places to Work” list every year, why don’t you focus on being an ethical company with integrity?

Jan 3, 2019 – Director, People Services

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you felt this way about your time at Collaborative Solutions, as we are extremely dedicated to our employees and their success. We wish you the best of luck in... More

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time

Pros

They certainly push culture. Lots of time and money are spent on projecting this image to the general public.

Easy schedules and not a lot of hours required. Many employees work from home, so you have a lot of flexibility.

Decent 401k matching and benefits.

Cons

Collaborative appears to hire anyone that gets along with the interviewers and the understanding is, if you pass the WD certification, you are good enough. No effort is put into longevity and success of employees- potential or otherwise.

The training is inconsistent. Collaborative offers employees a 4 day bootcamp prior to sending you to the Workday training. However, you'll find when you arrive to training that other companies give their employees 2 weeks, so you are at a disadvantage.

No second chances if you fail. Despite your qualifications and what you bring to the role you were hired into, even if you will never touch the system, you are let go immediately upon failing the certification exam.

No training once you are past certification. You are thrown into the role and you struggle and consultants are irritated with one another due to lack of role training.

The buddy system is put into place to ensure you pass the test, however, it does no good as the buddies are busy all day, then have no access to the tenant you are in for training, so they cannot see what you're doing or provide feedback on what you're working on. Also, Workday is so hush-hush on their testing that no one will discuss it so you aren't able to be prepped at all on what to prepare for. It is literally pointless.

Your instructor during Workday training also will not review your tenant to provide feedback on what you've been working on and offer criticism to ensure you understand what you have gotten wrong.

PTO is unlimited- IF you can get any approved in the first place.

HR is unprofessional and cold. Learning and Development is annoyed if you ask any questions.

They certainly put on a good front- Great base salary with promises of a great bonus system. But the reality is, there is not enough work to go around, projects are underscoped, and you can't bill outside those scoped hours, so you will never make your quarterly bonus.

Prior reviews I have read are maddening- to think Collaborative has hired employees with the promise of high success/pass rates on certification exams, interest in your background and all you can offer to the teams, only to discard you upon failing, then make you pay back your expenses, including the $2500 training, speaks volumes about this company.

A company who truly wants to hire talent, those with strong backgrounds in consulting work, project management, client services, sales and configuration, would invest in those worthy of being hired. I get that Workday mandates the certification, but Collaborative should do their part. This company hires A LOT of people at one time, sends you to a 3rd party company, says, "train them, make them pass this test" and considers your value based on that. For 90% of this workforce, you are better than this.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. Your candidates and employees are people too. We aren't just an advertising ad so you can win OMGCULTURE awards.

Nov 18, 2018 – Director, People Services

We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to share all of this with your manager or People Services. We truly value your perspective and would like you to have the same positive experience the... More

"Pros/Cons"

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management truly does have your back as long as you speak up.
    Always opportunities to get a new certification if you’d like.
    They will monitor to see who hasn’t taken PTO in awhile and encourage you to do so.

Cons

Projects are continuously sold with underscoped hours and unrealistic timelines. This in turn only allows consultants to provide customers with the bare minimum of support. It also results in consultants juggling 4-5 projects at a time which makes forecasting almost impossible.
    Most Engagement managers are not properly trained, and rely on consultants to do their work.
    ‘Non single’ benefits are extremely expensive.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and careful consideration when selling/scoping work. Think about the consultants that have to deliver the work you are over-promising and under selling.
    Get all practices on the same page/training.
    Better dependent benefits and family leave.

Sep 4, 2018 – Director, People Services

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear your experience with management has been so great, and that you value the growth and development opportunities at Collaborative. We also appreciate your... More

"Internal Team Member"

Current Employee - Internal Team Member in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Internal Team Member in Reston, VA

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been on one of the internal teams (Finance, IT, Marketing, or People Services) at Collaborative for over 3 years so can only speak to this, and not working as a consultant or on the delivery side. After 3 years I can honestly say working here feels like home, not a job! The people are friendly, supportive, and only want to help each other. Whether you're on an internal or delivery team, you'll probably be working over 40 hours many weeks, but with that comes the flexibility of being able to work from home and good benefits- fair salary, good health and dental insurance (for singles at least), and fun get-togethers if you're located near one of the offices. Management is very open and transparent with employees, and continues to get feedback from employees on how to make improvements.

Cons

Not really a con, but you absolutely have to be a self-starter to work on one of the internal teams at Collaborative- the company is growing fast and with that comes growing pains and more processes that need to be put in place. Unless you're on the consulting side, you might not have formal training in your role and will probably need to teach yourself a lot. If you're motivated to make a difference in a company, you'll succeed. Sometimes the way people are hired or let go on internal teams seems strange- there's not much clear communication on why it happened. There's also no defined career paths for the internal teams, but management seems to be aware and is working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for feedback from employees on how to improve, including the internal teams!

Aug 13, 2018 – Internal Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the review! It is thoughtful Collabies like yourself that transform the workplace into a home, and we are so grateful for that. We appreciate you taking the time to share about your... More

"Overall disappointment with my decision to move to Collaborative. I think the internal politics have ruined them."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall on boarding process was straight forward but once out on the project it went south fast

Cons

Internal politics and get projects completed fast, not good is the standard operating procedure.

Advice to Management

You need a management refresh

Sep 4, 2018 – Director, People Services

It saddens us to receive this review from a current Collabie and encourage you to share this feedback with your manager or People Services, so we can turn your experience around. We strive to create... More

"Mixed Emotions"

I worked at Collaborative Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Preferred Provider of Consulting Services to Workday

Cons

Requirements for working, specifically certification, even if not in your job description to do configuration
    Unequal treatment of employees at same level, specifically certification requirement
    If you do leave, it will be abrupt. No exit interview. No opportunity to say goodbye.

Advice to Management

There are other firms who can - and do - this work.

Aug 8, 2018 – Internal Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your mixed emotions during your short tenure at Collaborative Solutions. It is unfortunate your experience was so different than most employees, and... More

"Not impressed"

I have been working at Collaborative Solutions full-time

Pros

Colleagues, culture, and industry focus

Cons

Upfront promises not kept, recruiter messed up

Aug 8, 2018 – Internal Communications and Marketing Specialist

We are glad to hear there are several aspects of Collaborative Solutions you are enjoying. We agree that our industry, people, and culture really make the company unique. At Collaborative, our... More

"Decent Company but a few pitfalls"

I worked at Collaborative Solutions full-time

Pros

Work from Home
    Lots of Projects
    Good Projects and People to work with

Cons

Unlimited PTO is not true- (2 weeks in a year is considered too much)
    No consideration if a major family event happens like a death (no acknowledgment not even an email)
    Forecasting is a issue. Not enough allotted time to give clients the best level of dedication.
    Benefits-Dependent coverage is really expensive

Advice to Management

Do not call PTO unlimited if there are true restrictions like (2 weeks)

Aug 8, 2018 – Internal Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review Collaborative Solutions. We appreciate you sharing the great things about our company, like opportunity to work from home, good projects, and most importantly... More