Collective Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Kerry Bianchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Awesome people and culture, great leadership, game-changing product, good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• All things considered, probably the best company I have worked for in the ad tech space (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • That stress and the resulting fluidity can make Collective (or anyone in ad tech) a difficult place to work at times (in 5 reviews)

• Constantly changing direction and changing company structure (in 3 reviews)

1. "software engineer"

Pros

good work and life balance

Cons

not good for fresh student to study

2. "Good Experience"

I worked at Collective full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ad tech company that had some some cutting edge technology. Learned a lot because of all the different types of campaigns they run.

Cons

Worked in a satellite office that was run by petty managers who hired incompetent people. Management seemed rudderless. Laid off people when business suffered but ended up replacing the same positions later.

Advice to Management

Make a better effort to retain talent.

3. "Mature Org with the spirit of a Start-up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Collective full-time

Pros

The company has stabilized since finding new direction in creating the two divisions; Tech & Media. There is palpable momentum that is present in both sides of the house. Both sides are extremely agile, and adaptive to the industry and its ever evolving needs.
    The Tech has matured greatly since deployment. Visto’s positioning and traction in the advertising ecosystem is becoming more viable for larger integrations and capabilities to support a wide array of clients. The Media division has found its groove as well. Leading the omnichannel programmatic solutions for clients, Compass is continuing to hire many key employees to drive strategic initiatives. 2017 has already been full of many forward thinking innovations and solutions.

Cons

It’s an extremely fast moving company. For those like me, this is something that is enjoyable, but for some, it might not be what they are looking for. Working in a complex ecosystem with a technology in its own category that underpins all initiatives provides many challenges to solve for on a daily basis. Albeit the challenges, this also allows each individuals on all levels to contribute to a larger picture.

Advice to Management

Please keep up the great work! It is quite an ambitious disruptive technology and media service Collective is trying to create - and one complex ship to keep on course.

4. "Amazing Atmosphere!"

I have been working at Collective full-time

Pros

When I first joined Collective, I felt so welcomed. Everyone says hello and good morning, and is always willing to help. One of my favorite parts of working at Collective is all the events and learning opportunities that are offered such as once a month meetings held by different people in the industry, and cooking lessons from a nutritionist.

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about Collective, except maybe the location, but that's personal preference.

5. "Startup like work - Established management"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Collective full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before I joined the firm, the reviews really threw me offside. Talking to current employees and my personal experience, work and culture are way different with more positive vibes both on product and personnel. It is a like a start-up firm. which means a lot of sandboxing and trying out new things with newer technologies. If failing then fail forward is seems to the motto.
    Management communicates to the employees thoroughly and listens to feedback.

Cons

I see work could be more organized. Then again, this is a thought on hindsight.
    Goes back and forth on hiring needs

Advice to Management

Continue doing Awesome work in very complicated business space

6. "Product Director"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Collective full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people and culture, great leadership, game-changing product, good work/life balance. All things considered, probably the best company I have worked for in the ad tech space.

Cons

Certain priorities can change at a moment's notice, but that's really more indicative of the industry than the company, and they do a good job of staying on track overall.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and empower great people.

7. "You insisted they spend more time listening, clearly they heard you."

Current Employee - I'm A Product Person in New York, NY
    Current Employee - I'm A Product Person in New York, NY

I have been working at Collective full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've read through the reviews and they reflect a company that went through some dark times and needed to change, so it did. From my perspective, the ship has been righted.

• Well organized - Each department has a framework in place, some guidelines to adhere to but you are fully encouraged to find a path that works best for you.
    • Decent sized workloads - enough to keep busy but not enough to overwhelm
    • Highly collaborative - plenty of opportunities to review and share your work with others
    • You speak, they listen - people want and solicit your feedback, they will thank you for it
    • Your opinions matter - good ideas are vetted, implemented and rewarded
    • Excellent management - great people who will help you succeed and grow your career
    • Flexible hours and schedules - need to WFH today, no problem and no foul
    • Timely and efficient review process - you get what's coming to you, on time, no excuses
    • Accountability - mistakes happen, people own them, no playing the blame game here
    • Competitive benefits, perks and pay - and they always looks for ways to make it better
    • All kinds of snacks, happy hours and company outings
    • Intelligent and dedicated colleagues who work well together - the name "Collective" pretty much says it all

Working here is a golden opportunity

Cons

Not enough emphasis on mobile compatibility

Advice to Management

Keep yourself in check so you don't lose sight of where you once were and/or what got it turned around.

8. "Sales Director"

Pros

Team environment, ability to influence change, upward mobility, competitive pay, independent environment, snacks, great office, supportive staff.

Cons

Soho location means increased commute time

9. "Amazing Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Account Management Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Collective (Less than a year)

Pros

Collective's work environment is unlike any other company I have interned for. One of the first things I noticed was how tightly wounded the Account Management Team I was assigned to was. Even so, they accepted me immediately and I became a part of the work hard but still have fun mentality that Collective encompasses.
    At no time throughout my 3 month internship did I feel like I was doing anyone's grunt work. Collective ensures that its interns are treated just like full-timers. It was an incredible experience to be able to work hands on as if I was really an employee. This is the only way to really understand what it means to work for the company and a concept that many companies miss out on with their interns.
    Overall, the level of comfort in addition to the work hard play hard motto that Collective employees live by made this summer by far the most rewarding I've ever had. Thank you Collective!

Cons

It is a fairly long commute from Grand Central. However, the location in Soho makes it more than worth it.

10. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Bleeding edge technology used
    Nice atmosphere and culture within the group
    Amenities for employees

Cons

Constantly changing management and goals
    Huge chance that a project you are working on will be thrown in the garbage

Advice to Management

Choose goals and management and continue pushing in that direction